Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Books you’ve read more than once

"Are you there God? It's me, Margaret..."

Common Sense - Thomas Paine

Dear Reader - Michael Malice 

Recondo: LRRP's In The 101st Airborne - Larry Chambers  (this one I used to take on the plane when I traveled for work) 

12 minutes ago, DonS said:

Dune

LOTR

The Stand

Red Storm Rising

Nice list.  LOTR I've read the most, probably 3 or more times.  Somehow I've never read Dune despite being a SF/Fantasy wonk.  

I'm a big fan of Guy Gavriel Kay, my favorite historical fiction/fantasy writer.  I recently re-read his Last Light of the Sun.

Some classics like Les Miserables and 1984 I read in HS and went back to re-read later.

Pillars of the Earth

I'll just come back and add some as I think of them.  :cheers: 

29 minutes ago, DonS said:

Dune

LOTR

The Stand

Red Storm Rising

I’ve honestly never actually read LOTR. I’ve read The Hobbit. Just not those. Hell, it’s been YEARS since I read the Hobbit. Back in 3rd grade to be exact. I keep forgetting about them when looking for something to read 

27 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Nice list.  LOTR I've read the most, probably 3 or more times.  Somehow I've never read Dune despite being a SF/Fantasy wonk.  

I'm a big fan of Guy Gavriel Kay, my favorite historical fiction/fantasy writer.  I recently re-read his Last Light of the Sun.

Some classics like Les Miserables and 1984 I read in HS and went back to re-read later.

Pillars of the Earth

I'll just come back and add some as I think of them.  :cheers: 

I need to find my copy of Dune and read it again prior to the movie coming out.  Trailers look great. 

16 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve honestly never actually read LOTR. I’ve read The Hobbit. Just not those. Hell, it’s been YEARS since I read the Hobbit. Back in 3rd grade to be exact. I keep forgetting about them when looking for something to read 

Here's the Cliffs Notes version:

https://youtu.be/RPl5MeXIM8E

3 minutes ago, DonS said:

I need to find my copy of Dune and read it again prior to the movie coming out.  Trailers look great. 

My problem these days is that in the evenings, my wife and I have a routine where she gives me a lymph massage (are you still doing that?) while we watch a mindless series (currently Schitt's Creek which we actually quite enjoy in a mindless way).  At the end we read, but I am so relaxed/tired after the massage that I can't get past two pages.  I'm sure the chemo doesn't help.  Anyway, it would take me years to get through Dune at this pace, maybe I'll start setting some time aside during the day to read.  :thumbsup: 

17 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

My problem these days is that in the evenings, my wife and I have a routine where she gives me a lymph massage (are you still doing that?) while we watch a mindless series (currently Schitt's Creek which we actually quite enjoy in a mindless way).  At the end we read, but I am so relaxed/tired after the massage that I can't get past two pages.  I'm sure the chemo doesn't help.  Anyway, it would take me years to get through Dune at this pace, maybe I'll start setting some time aside during the day to read.  :thumbsup: 

I'll kill to give you a lymph massage.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Yer wife gives me a massage but it adds stiffness rather than takes it away. :cheers:  seriously though I only had the slightest bit of lymphodema so no longer need it. 

Schitts Creek is an excellent mindless show to watch.  Can't go wrong there. 

52 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Schitts Creek eh? I see you too are a man of culture 

• Sad 1

David Eddings...Belgariad..in high-school...read the hell of it.

The stand...several times.

2 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

David Eddings...Belgariad..in high-school...read the hell of it.

The stand...several times.

+1 for Belgariad

10 hours ago, jerryskids said:

My wife really liked Shitt's creek, however I did not. It had its moments, but I am not a big fan of that type of comedy show.

Edit, and to stay on topic:

Years ago I read some of the dark tower books twice due to the large gap inbetween the books. I also have read some of the really nerdy books twice due to them being released on amazon prime, such as Good Omens. The Amazon prime show did not due that book justice.

TekWar books
The Firm and A Time to Kill
Mortal Error
The first three books from DragonLance series

There are others, but I can't think of them at the moment...

• Confused 1

Edgar Allen Poe’s cumulative works in the big book.

To many biographies to list. I miss reading.

bible

old man and the sea

lotr

on the road, big sur, dharma bums

catcher in rye

catch 22

may be more...

On 9/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, Pimpadeaux said:

Butt Raiders 7.

The book was far better than the film.  They did not follow Vonnegut's vision at all.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mookz said:

The book was far better than the film.  They did not follow Vonnegut's vision at all.

Well done, sir. :thumbsup:

"Wherever You Go; There You Are" Jon Kabat-Zinn

It's about mindful meditation. One thought from the book:

If you meditate, whatever happens is your success. You can not fail.