Utilit99

Twitter adopts 'poison pill' to prevent Elon Musk takeover

14 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Why?  Then the content of twitter gets driven by who pays the most.  That's what you value?  The ones with the most money get the most voice?

I would rather read things coming from people who are successful in life. Rather than the liberal scum that live off the government and who have a litter of  kids without being able to afford to raise them on their own.

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

You idiots are giving examples of things that are bad and then saying you want Twitter to turn into something that is bad.  Truly lost.

:wacko:

10 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

And these aren't even examples of MS Media moguls who own CNN or MSNBC.  This dude has been asleep for his whole life apparently.  Does he even know about Hearst?

This move has been going on for decades, it is a slippery slope.

90% of our media is controlled by 6 corporations. Before Clinton signed the “Telecommunications Act of 1996”, 50 companies controlled 90% of the media.

12 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You idiots are giving examples of things that are bad and then saying you want Twitter to turn into something that is bad.  Truly lost.

Turn into? Clueless. 

2 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

No kidding. I hope they do start charging for various things. Would love to see it.

Me too. Then it’ll die, which would be good for us all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Yeah. Just like all subscription services die. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Nah, the infusion of money into anything always does the same thing.  Separates the classes.  Right now it is basically an open forum with very little commercial tie-in. The opportunity here is vast.

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Nah, the infusion of money into anything always does the same thing.  Separates the classes.  Right now it is basically an open forum with very little commercial tie-in. The opportunity here is vast.

I hope Elon is telling himself this as well :thumbsup:

Just now, IGotWorms said:

I hope Elon is telling himself this as well :thumbsup:

Yeah his track record is simply awful. :lol: 

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah his track record is simply awful. :lol: 

Fair point, but then we really don’t know what his plan is

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Fair point, but then we really don’t know what his plan is

Yeah we do, it's to make money.  That place has been dormant.  A gold mine they refused to mine.  Buy!  

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

Yeah we do, it's to make money.  That place has been dormant.  A gold mine they refused to mine.  Buy!  

Twitter has been dormant? :lol:

2 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

They didn’t want to make money?

I doubt it.

They didn’t know how to successfully monetize it further without driving everyone off.

Musk thinks he knows. We’ll find out what his plan is and if he’s right. He certainly does have a good track record, as you pointed out

2 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Twitter has been dormant? :lol:

Better way to say it would be they were run like crap. Encrusted with filth.

9 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Better way to say it would be they were run like crap. Encrusted with filth.

The focus wasn't on income. 

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Free speech is bad?

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Free speech is bad?

I do know that dictators focking hate it....  :dunno:

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

If you aren't paying for a service, then you are the product.

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If you aren't paying for a service, then you are the product.

Can you imagine MikeFFToday trying to pitch us as a product?

He’ll be poor forever :( 

2 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Democrats are some dirty m'fers

Yes they are.....there is no behavior that is off limits to them.  Moreover, they know they are wrong because they lament THE VERY THINGS THEY ACTUALLY DO....and pretend others are doing it. 

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

Can you imagine MikeFFToday trying to pitch us as a product?

you mean something like FF advice?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Democrats are some dirty m'fers

They know what they are losing. It was a centralized propaganda forum. Now their method will be fragmented.  

1 hour ago, taco breath said:

you mean something like FF advice?

How is that pitching us as a product?  :dunno: 

57 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

How is that pitching us as a product?  :dunno: 

it's called the mange bored.

When do the purges and mass layoffs start? 🍿

Interesting article on the economics of it all: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/30/business/elon-musk-twitter.html

At the peak of the buyout boom in 2007, private equity firms including Kohlberg Kravis Roberts bought the Texas energy giant TXU for $45 billion. It was — and remains — the largest deal of its kind in American history.

Now, a single billionaire is inching toward that record. Elon Musk, the world’s richest person, said this past week that he would pay roughly $44 billion to take Twitter private. If the deal closes, it would become the country’s second-largest buyout on record.

Mr. Musk is departing from the traditional private equity playbook by putting up far more of his own money than is usual in such a deal, about three quarters of the price. But he’s also following more standard practice for what Wall Street calls a leveraged buyout, borrowing $13 billion that would be transferred onto Twitter’s books.

In other words, his plan for Twitter includes both more cash than the typical buyout and more debt than Twitter may be able to handle, given its patchy profitability.

The structure of the deal means Mr. Musk’s push for unfettered “free speech” on Twitter could find itself in conflict with the company’s basic need to pay off its new debt. If less restrictive moderation of content on the platform leads to more unfiltered exchanges and misinformation, Twitter’s main source of revenue — advertising — could suffer, since most advertisers are wary of associating their brands with polarizing content. And the company doesn’t yet have other meaningful sources of revenue, although it has experimented with subscriptions. If advertising revenue falls, Twitter, which employs more than 7,000 people, could struggle to make interest payments.

The acquisition is also a big financial risk for Mr. Musk, more than usual for private equity-style buyers who often limit their exposure by using mostly borrowed money instead of cash. Because of the way the acquisition is structured, a downturn in Twitter’s fortunes could stretch even Mr. Musk’s considerable financial resources — and challenge his reputation for business savvy.

And because Mr. Musk is both selling Tesla shares and putting them up as collateral for personal loans to raise cash, Tesla’s value would be linked to Twitter’s. Any trouble at Twitter could force Mr. Musk to draw on his stock in the electric carmaker he runs to plug potential holes. And any problem at Tesla that caused its stock to fall far enough could trigger clauses in Mr. Musk’s personal loans that would require him to add more collateral, limiting his ability to invest in Twitter.

And this:

Twitter’s earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, or EBITDA — a key measure of its capacity to service its debt — is roughly $1 billion a year. The typical leveraged buyout puts debt worth six times a company’s EBITDA on its balance sheet, according to LCD, a data service. The debt in Mr. Musk’s proposal is twice as high.

Nobody cares about the details of him getting Twitter. The meltdown by itself is worth it.  If it falls apart laughing at the sky screamers was still great. 

Liberals and the retards here are still having a meltdown over this yet they haven’t given up Twitter 🤔

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Nobody cares about the details of him getting Twitter. The meltdown by itself is worth it.  If it falls apart laughing at the sky screamers was still great. 

That’s a rather stupid take. I’m interested in understanding the gamble and potential implications for the future. :dunno:

21 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

That’s a rather stupid take. I’m interested in understanding the gamble and potential implications for the future. :dunno:

I’m just enjoying the present. That’s not stupid. It’s ha-ha! 

3 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Liberals and the retards here are still having a meltdown over this yet they haven’t given up Twitter 🤔

"They should just create their own platform...."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Djgb13 said:

Liberals and the retards here are still having a meltdown over this 

Except they’re not really.  People just keep saying they are 

6 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Except they’re not really.  People just keep saying they are 

Lmfao you focking buffoon. You’re literally lying straight to everyone’s faces. Y’all got no problems lying anymore do y’all? Just as easy as breathing for y’all now. Cause not only do we ALL know this is a focking lie but there’s TONS of proof liberals are having a meltdown 

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Interesting article on the economics of it all: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/30/business/elon-musk-twitter.html

At the peak of the buyout boom in 2007, private equity firms including Kohlberg Kravis Roberts bought the Texas energy giant TXU for $45 billion. It was — and remains — the largest deal of its kind in American history.

Now, a single billionaire is inching toward that record. Elon Musk, the world’s richest person, said this past week that he would pay roughly $44 billion to take Twitter private. If the deal closes, it would become the country’s second-largest buyout on record.

Mr. Musk is departing from the traditional private equity playbook by putting up far more of his own money than is usual in such a deal, about three quarters of the price. But he’s also following more standard practice for what Wall Street calls a leveraged buyout, borrowing $13 billion that would be transferred onto Twitter’s books.

In other words, his plan for Twitter includes both more cash than the typical buyout and more debt than Twitter may be able to handle, given its patchy profitability.

The structure of the deal means Mr. Musk’s push for unfettered “free speech” on Twitter could find itself in conflict with the company’s basic need to pay off its new debt. If less restrictive moderation of content on the platform leads to more unfiltered exchanges and misinformation, Twitter’s main source of revenue — advertising — could suffer, since most advertisers are wary of associating their brands with polarizing content. And the company doesn’t yet have other meaningful sources of revenue, although it has experimented with subscriptions. If advertising revenue falls, Twitter, which employs more than 7,000 people, could struggle to make interest payments.

The acquisition is also a big financial risk for Mr. Musk, more than usual for private equity-style buyers who often limit their exposure by using mostly borrowed money instead of cash. Because of the way the acquisition is structured, a downturn in Twitter’s fortunes could stretch even Mr. Musk’s considerable financial resources — and challenge his reputation for business savvy.

And because Mr. Musk is both selling Tesla shares and putting them up as collateral for personal loans to raise cash, Tesla’s value would be linked to Twitter’s. Any trouble at Twitter could force Mr. Musk to draw on his stock in the electric carmaker he runs to plug potential holes. And any problem at Tesla that caused its stock to fall far enough could trigger clauses in Mr. Musk’s personal loans that would require him to add more collateral, limiting his ability to invest in Twitter.

Come on. Typical NYT nonsense. With mights and coulds and maybe.  Lib op/ed. 

15 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Lmfao you focking buffoon. You’re literally lying straight to everyone’s faces. Y’all got no problems lying anymore do y’all? Just as easy as breathing for y’all now. Cause not only do we ALL know this is a focking lie but there’s TONS of proof liberals are having a meltdown 

Whatever you say