Sign in to follow this  
MLCKAA

Student Loan “forgiveness”

49 minutes ago, Chronic Fockster said:

Student loans helped me.  I needed $15k.  If I didn't get it I would have had to take a year off and work, maybe never gone back, never got my degree, never made millions, paid millions in taxes, so the loan was a win win

Spoiler alert!  The story ends with 50 aliases on a low rent message board.

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I was going to make the same analogy, but remember the 08 housing market crash and how easy it is to get a loan right now. 

SL should be harder because someone buying a house usually has some sort of income coming in. What does a college student have?

Prospective.  Engineering degrees are easier to get loans for.  HS transcript.  Etc.  Its not hard to tell who will be successful and who will end up at Starbucks.

Again- my one student loan interest rate was 6.8%. Our mortgage interest is less than half of that.

You are taking student loans at a time when you have minimal credit, you can't really "ship around" and depending what you need to do and circumstances out of your control you almost need to take the loan. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chronic Fockster said:

Prospective.  Engineering degrees are easier to get loans for.  HS transcript.  Etc.  Its not hard to tell who will be successful and who will end up at Starbucks.

Any degree that includes the term "Studies" is a one way ticket to baristaville. 

53 minutes ago, Chronic Fockster said:

I agree but it's 2022. You're gonna have a hard time with that argument.

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Again- my one student loan interest rate was 6.8%. Our mortgage interest is less than half of that.

You are taking student loans at a time when you have minimal credit, you can't really "ship around" and depending what you need to do and circumstances out of your control you almost need to take the loan. 

Listen to this cry baby. Hey skippy, when I bought my first car the interest rate was 14 pct. When I got my first mortgage the interest rate was 7.50.  I didn’t whine about it, I just paid it. Your whole generation have done nothing but whine since you could talk. How about sucking it up for once? Military excluded. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Listen to this cry baby. Hey skippy, when I bought my first car the interest rate was 14 pct. When I got my first mortgage the interest rate was 7.50.  I didn’t whine about it, I just paid it. Your whole generation have done nothing but whine since you could talk. How about sucking it up for once? Military excluded. 

"My whole generation"? You gonna tell people to get off your lawn next dope.

Also, I've paid all my loans. You lose again 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You had a car payment.  What a life loser!  Am I right horsesh1t?

1 hour ago, Chronic Fockster said:

You had a car payment.  What a life loser!  Am I right horsesh1t?

Vomitbreath says what? :lol:

23 hours ago, dogcows said:

And…

I dont  see the correlation between PPP loans and student loans.

PPP loans were given during a once in a lifetime pandemic where the government forced businesses to shut down and gave them money to stay afloat/pay employees.

Student loans were taken out voluntarily by students who wanted money to get an education.

No doubt, PPP loans were taken advantage of and I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the list were guilty of that, as they are politicians and it is their nature. But let's compare apples to apples here.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

PPP loans were given during a once in a lifetime pandemic where the government forced businesses to shut down and gave them money to stay afloat/pay employees.

Student loans were taken out voluntarily by students who wanted money to get an education.

No doubt, PPP loans were taken advantage of and I wouldn't be surprised if the people on the list were guilty of that, as they are politicians and it is their nature. But let's compare apples to apples here.

I wanted to type this, instead just rolled my eyes and scrolled on.  Kudos for the common sense and logic though.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad GLuckman said:

It’s about loan forgiveness, not the loan itself. Why were loans forgiven for multi-millionaires, but not a peep from the right-wing until the loans are for college?

Also, nobody has mentioned that loan forgiveness happens all the time. It’s called bankruptcy. Something student loans are exempt from. Meaning if you declare bankruptcy, you can have any kind of loans forgiven EXCEPT student loans.

I don’t know if America will solve its college affordability program anytime soon. But at least Biden is doing something to help.

As for those complaining about their tax money going to something they don’t personally benefit from:

6 minutes ago, dogcows said:

I don’t know if America will solve its college affordability program anytime soon. But at least Biden is doing something to help.

Lets cut though the B.S.   WRONG.  

This doesn't address the root causes but only incentives Universities or Colleges to keep their current practices.  This is putting a band aid on a broken arm and you cheering it on.  

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

It’s about loan forgiveness, not the loan itself. Why were loans forgiven for multi-millionaires, but not a peep from the right-wing until the loans are for college?

Also, nobody has mentioned that loan forgiveness happens all the time. It’s called bankruptcy. Something student loans are exempt from. Meaning if you declare bankruptcy, you can have any kind of loans forgiven EXCEPT student loans.

As for those complaining about their tax money going to something they don’t personally benefit from:

https://twitter.com/LeslieStreeter/status/1563151653192159232

Well no, all loans are not the same, as I explained in my post. This was an attempt by the Biden administration to fool people that don't know the difference.

I don't know what your link is supposed to prove. Nobody thinks blacks should have had to pay for pools they weren't allowed to swim in.  It unintentionally proves the point that these loans are unfair to working class citizens without a degree.

13 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Biden is the one responsible for student loans not being able to be discharged in bankruptcy. His overlords instructed him to do so in 2005. FYI. 

4 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Well no, all loans are not the same, as I explained in my post. This was an attempt by the Biden administration to fool people that don't know the difference.

I don't know what your link is supposed to prove. Nobody thinks blacks should have had to pay for pools they weren't allowed to swim in.  It unintentionally proves the point that these loans are unfair to working class citizens without a degree.

@dogcowsis following the WH playbook on this, which is to try to shame (Republican only) politicians who took received PPP money.  As you pointed out, comparing money given for a forced government shutdown of your business, so that you could pay your employees, vs forgiving voluntary loans, is just dumb.

@KSB2424pointed out that Biden is NOT doing something to address the problem, he is exacerbating it.  It is not a bandaid on a dam, it is a pickax to it.

I'll add that his other point, bankruptcy, is another great contrast.  Bankruptcy is a process where you show your inability to pay, your recovery plan, and negotiated reduced payments based on the plan.  I'd be fine with that kind of process for the loans.  Not making it rain to the tune of a half trillion dollars.  :thumbsdown: 

Otherwise his post was a good job, good effort.  :thumbsup: 

here in caliornia, you can make $30k per month with just a high school diploma.  i mean it requires leaving the house and working so its impossible for kids today.  but its there.

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

here in caliornia, you can make $30k per month with just a high school diploma.  i mean it requires leaving the house and working so its impossible for kids today.  but its there.

What's the job?

We paid off my wife’s student loans after our wedding. Suckers. 

18 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

We paid off my wife’s student loans after our wedding. Suckers. 

I paid off my loans by working hard for it. Liberals on this site like MDC and Mooney are proud to be sitting on their asses doing nothing and yet collecting the money from others who work hard and pay taxes. 

And Biden and this whole liberal party are all sh*theads. 

30 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I paid off my loans by working hard for it. Liberals on this site like MDC and Mooney are proud to be sitting on their asses doing nothing and yet collecting the money from others who work hard and pay taxes. 

And Biden and this whole liberal party are all sh*theads. 

Mdc and Mooney both have jobs.  What are you talking about?

Just now, Chronic Fockster said:

Utilt is a moron, you're a moron. Have at it 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Utilt is a moron, you're a moron. Have at it 

shorepatrol is a moron and you're a moron. Have at it with yourself. 

Nate Silver is not exactly a "right winger", and he sees it too:

9 hours ago, Chronic Fockster said:

It's just his dumb shtick.

9 hours ago, Chronic Fockster said:

How about you lick my ball sack and tell me how it tastes?

Says the guy who paid millions in taxes. Are you Bill Gates? I assure you shorepatrol is not a 12 year old.

The more I think about this the more it is insane.  Out of all the things our Federal Government can help out with and "forgive", a loan that somebody voluntarily took out is way down on the list.    What about:

1.  Medical Bills for people with disease through no fault of their own.

2.  People that lost their Businesses due to dumbass Covid lockdowns.

3.  Blue Collar workers with medical bills because they work in hazardous conditions, but needed for society.

4.  Our Veterans.  Period.  Just google VA hospitals.

5.  I don't know?  Anything BESIDES white collar schmucks who took out huge loans and can't pay them back to get strange "degrees" that don't add value to a business or society.

:mad:

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

5.  I don't know?  Anything BESIDES white collar schmucks who took out huge loans and can't pay them back to get strange "degrees" that don't add value to a business or society.

:mad:

Or even just as bad, Those that got good degrees and CAN afford to pay their loans off over time. All your points should be every republican candidate's talking points on the campaign trail. 

Every person who accepts that money should be shamed to the point that they want to leave this country or kill themselves. 

Biden should be put in prison and left to rot. 

On 8/26/2022 at 8:28 PM, JustinCharge said:

I see those ads on the internet too. You should try it out and let me know if it works.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, Brad GLuckman said:

And there are plenty of Dems who received PPP loans and didn't pay them back either...but they don't count. Gavin Newsom received an awful lot to keep his winery afloat during the pandemic. But....meh. 

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hawkeye got a PPP loan. 

My business did after our financial advisor and bank recommended that we do so.  So did thousands of other businesses and it had nothing to do with political affiliation. 

• Haha 1

I’m torn on this one.

When I first heard the news, I was pissed and wanted a refund for the 15 years of .edu loans I paid.

Then I remembered how young and naive I was when I took out the loan, how my loan was sold to 4 different brokers, and how hard it was to keep current earlier on my career, and I can empathize. 

I feel like a basic BS/BA public education should be reasonably accessible, and is ultimately better for America as a whole. Advanced degrees and specialized fields should carry a higher price tag.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mobb_deep said:

I’m torn on this one.

When I first heard the news, I was pissed and wanted a refund for the 15 years of .edu loans I paid.

Then I remembered how young and naive I was when I took out the loan, how my loan was sold to 4 different brokers, and how hard it was to keep current earlier on my career, and I can empathize. 

I feel like a basic BS/BA public education should be reasonably accessible, and is ultimately better for America as a whole. Advanced degrees and specialized fields should carry a higher price tag.

It's not hard to learn at the age of 17/18 to understand loans and value of particular educations. 

Instead of putting money towards dumb choices by students and their dumb parents, of which my brother was one of the dumb parents, spend the money to help put the logical education into the schools. Teach kids about finances from 5th grade through senior year of high school. This liberal government loves the problems, but they hate fixing them for real. Just throw money at the end of the process instead of at the beginning of it.

24 minutes ago, craftsman said:

It's not hard to learn at the age of 17/18 to understand loans and value of particular educations. 

Instead of putting money towards dumb choices by students and their dumb parents, of which my brother was one of the dumb parents, spend the money to help put the logical education into the schools. Teach kids about finances from 5th grade through senior year of high school. This liberal government loves the problems, but they hate fixing them for real. Just throw money at the end of the process instead of at the beginning of it.

Yah I dunno. I don’t do politics, so you won’t get any bites from me on that one.

I only speak on my own personal experience, and my reflections later in life. I was a 19 year old, on my own financially, with a choice to either join the military or take out a loan if I wanted to “learn computers”. I’ve gone on to have a successful career, paid my loan, etc. etc. But it wasn’t without great sacrifice and some really dicey financial positions along the way. And this was all in the early 90’s, when the cost of education was much lower when adjusted to cost of living. 

Now having a teenager myself, I’d hate to see her go through the same hardship, and I ultimately believe a highly educated society is beneficial to all Americans. The more accessible education is, the better IMO.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mobb_deep said:

Yah I dunno. I don’t do politics, so you won’t get any bites from me on that one.

I only speak on my own personal experience, and my reflections later in life. I was a 19 year old, on my own financially, with a choice to either join the military or take out a loan if I wanted to “learn computers”. I’ve gone on to have a successful career, paid my loan, etc. etc. But it wasn’t without great sacrifice and some really dicey financial positions along the way. And this was all in the early 90’s, 

Now having a teenager myself, I’d hate to see her go through the same hardship, and I ultimately believe a highly educated society is beneficial to all Americans. The more accessible education is, the better IMO.

Well the education system in the states is 100% politics but that is fair not wanting to not go there while in the moment of questioning how to handle things with kids in the current day. The only help you can get is the kids need to be raised as adults when they are young so they can be ready when they turn 18 years old. That means understanding goals or lack there of, money management and understanding, understanding intelligent options for school including trade school, community college for a year or two, and working their way through college to earn comfort and satisfaction later on in life as independent beings. 

I took out loans for college, and it cost me some sacrifice working a couple jobs after I got out of school, but, wow it paid off. And it is a satisfying feeling. 

I'm debt free!!!!

17 minutes ago, craftsman said:

I took out loans for college, and it cost me some sacrifice working a couple jobs after I got out of school, but, wow it paid off. And it is a satisfying feeling. 

I'm debt free!!!!

💯 

It did feel great. I remember posting about it on Facebook haha. One of my prouder moments in life.

It definitely shouldn’t be free, and I agree that economics/finances should be prioritized over the arts in primary school. :cheers:

Turns out that this is a big fock you to the taxpayers that allows colleges to charge whatever they want and students to make a minimum payment for a determined period of time.