Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

[ friday thread ] if you go to a game in a near empty arena, do you still sit in your assigned seat?

still sit in your assigned seat in a near empty arena?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. still sit in your assigned seat in a near empty arena?

• yes
    • no

These are the options one has when choosing to see loser teams such as the Chargers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would wait and move maybe after halfway through the first quarter or so. A lot of people come in late for various reasons. But I like sports on TV better than going to the games.  

Leave my seats??, Not No,, but fawk No. Forty years of my season tickets,  Fawk no!!! Bad luck!!! I’m the most superstitious person you will ever know. 

I sat in a Dome that was a fawking mausoleum in my seats  for years. Section 601 row 8, seats 16-11. 

Saints lost for decades. But I believed. Best seats??? Nope. But as Sponge Bob says…”Best seats in the house!!!”

When I was going to Yankees games in the late 80’s/early 90’s and they sucked, I’m a real fan unlike Gutterboy, they still had the ushers in the red suits. Empty stadium, 5 bucks around the third inning and I was in the best seats. Saw some great stuff up close. Nolan Ryan was scary. Steinbrenner got rid of them and brought in Burns security. Kids and thugs, couldnt/ wouldn’t bribe them . End of a era. 

1 hour ago, Chronic Fockster said:

I stay in my seat, but I have gone on SeatGeek to find the great seats on sale for $10 midway through the first quarter 

Great idea, I never thought to try this.  :cheers: 

To the OP, generally not.  I tend not to buy cheap seats as I'd generally rather watch at home than from crappy seats.  And if I have crappy seats, it's because it is a big event like a playoff game so it is full.  

One exception was a few years ago the DBacks had a promotion where for two months you got a ticket to every home game for $2 each.  You still paid for parking and concessions so it wasn't free, but we went quite a few times.  Those seats were total crap and we generally moved to better ones.

3 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

I’m not an animal- I stay in my seats

you know, the teams themselves would EXTREMELY appreciate it if people would all move down close to the action when the joint is half (or less) full because it would allow camera crews to pan up a little and see full sections instead of empty chairs.  its one of the very few ways youd actually be personally helping your team out.

30 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

you know, the teams themselves you EXTREMELY appreciate it if people would all move down close to the action when the joint is half (or less) full because it would allow camera crews to pan up a little and see full sections instead of empty chairs.  its one of the very few ways youd actually be personally helping your team out.

Not the Yankees. They built a moat to keep the hoi polloi out.  

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Not the Yankees. They built a moat to keep the hoi polloi out.  

well thats just steinbrenner.

9 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

well thats just steinbrenner.

Nope. New stadium. George was drooling worse than Biden when the new one opened. 

3 hours ago, Chronic Fockster said:

I stay in my seat, but I have gone on SeatGeek to find the great seats on sale for $10 midway through the first quarter 

Stubhub and vivid seats stop selling tickets when the game starts. I’ll have to check seatgeek. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JustinCharge said:

you know, the teams themselves would EXTREMELY appreciate it if people would all move down close to the action when the joint is half (or less) full because it would allow camera crews to pan up a little and see full sections instead of empty chairs.  its one of the very few ways youd actually be personally helping your team out.

Is this a rumor, prediction or from a trusted "source?"

No, no. I find sporting events to be more enjoyable sitting alone in the cheap seats with four masks on and maintaining 150 feet of social distancing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

No, no. I find sporting events to be more enjoyable sitting alone in the cheap seats with four masks on and maintaining 150 feet of social distancing.

That sounds like a Lions game

2 hours ago, MDC said:

This isn’t an issue in any real sports town. 

10 years ago, there were 3 baseball teams averaging under 20k attendance.  Now there is 10.   And the Athletics are under 10k attendance.  Hell the Rays and Guardians will be PLAYOFF teams and average under 20k now.

1 minute ago, JustinCharge said:

10 years ago, there were 3 baseball teams averaging under 20k attendance.  Now there is 10.   And the Athletics are under 10k attendance.

There are maybe 12-15 real sports towns in the US overwhelmingly centered in the Northeast and Midwest: New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, etc. You won’t find near empty arenas, ballparks or stadiums in real sports towns unless the team is dreadful over a long period of time. Even then fans usually show up.

Then there are cities like LA, where the team only sells out when they’re good and even then, a quarter of the fans are rooting for the away team. These are the cities where you see mostly empty stadiums, ballparks, arenas.

1 minute ago, MDC said:

There are maybe 12-15 real sports towns in the US overwhelmingly centered in the Northeast and Midwest: New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, etc. You won’t find near empty arenas, ballparks or stadiums in real sports towns unless the team is dreadful over a long period of time. Even then fans usually show up.

Then there are cities like LA, where the team only sells out when they’re good and even then, a quarter of the fans are rooting for the away team. These are the cities where you see mostly empty stadiums, ballparks, arenas.

not sure about that.  overall, interest in sports is declining everywhere.  kids increasingly make fun of the concept of sports.

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

not sure about that.  overall, interest in sports is declining everywhere.  kids increasingly make fun of the concept of sports.

That’s true, and so is what I said about real vs. fake sports towns. :dunno: 

Went to a college game years ago in Oregon, we got there right before kickoff (back then us stoners were always late) and the place was packed except for 4 seats-right on the 50! We went up there and as soon as we'd set down a guy tells me "those are the governor's seats" and we were  kinda like "haha yeah sure". RIGHT AFTER that I looked down and here comes 3 bruisers in suits and Gov (dating myself) Atiyeh. We were gone by the time they made it to the seats, but walking the sidelines is fun too!

Was at the Yankees RAYS game last Friday night. Derek Jeter monument park night. We had $40 upper deck tickets. During warmups I wanted to go down near the Tampa dugout. The usher for the 100 level was cool and let us down.. but by the time we walked down, players were off the field and they were setting up for the ceremony. 

we sat so as to not piss anyone off for blocking their view. The ceremony was great. Lots of Yankees from when I was a fan as a child (Tino, Posada, Mo. Torre). After the ceremony we decided just to stay where we were. 3rd inning two women came and we were in their seats but there were enough empty seats, which was surprising for a big Jeter event so we moved back one row and stayed there the rest of the game. 

went up to a different usher/cop whenever we had to hit the head, get more beer or food. They didn’t care or check tickets. The cop may have even been flirting with me despite my Rays Jersey. 

I had seen the seats going for 1,500-2 grand on vividseats. Combine all that with a Rays win and 👍🏼

9 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Was at the Yankees RAYS game last Friday night. Derek Jeter monument park night. We had $40 upper deck tickets. During warmups I wanted to go down near the Tampa dugout. The usher for the 100 level was cool and let us down.. but by the time we walked down, players were off the field and they were setting up for the ceremony. 

we sat so as to not piss anyone off for blocking their view. The ceremony was great. Lots of Yankees from when I was a fan as a child (Tino, Posada, Mo. Torre). After the ceremony we decided just to stay where we were. 3rd inning two women came and we were in their seats but there were enough empty seats, which was surprising for a big Jeter event so we moved back one row and stayed there the rest of the game. 

went up to a different usher/cop whenever we had to hit the head, get more beer or food. They didn’t care or check tickets. The cop may have even been flirting with me despite my Rays Jersey. 

I had seen the seats going for 1,500-2 grand on vividseats. Combine all that with a Rays win and 👍🏼

Yanks LOSE, great  night for verybody!

6 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

That sounds like a Lions game

No, I only attend WNBA games.

I find best available in stubhub and sit in those in a packed house at times

I mean, moving down from like row 18 to row 7... why bother?  The view isn't better.  The only reason to move is to get a substantially better view.  That would mean moving sections or even levels.  In Philly, they have people at every aisle.  If you try to sit in a section you don't belong in, they won't let you in. 

I am not poor, I already have the best seats.

kind of depends on the location. I've been to places where they have f****** guards for no good reason in a place that has 29% of its customers. Other places? Have a lot more common sense.

If you are a third into the game where every game it is? Open seats. I once got kicked out by a family that showed up with literally right before halftime at a football game. And they were so intimidated by me? They actually had to bring a guard down. Get the f*** out. 

Well, here's a thought. Take your whole f****** breeding crew to any of the nine rows in front of us.

13 hours ago, edjr said:

I am not poor, I already have the best seats.

So your wife lets you have the big chair?

I go to some indoor lacrosse games in Albany, NY  (box lax).    Never sold out and many available seats.    We usually end up sitting in 3-4 different locations during the game.    Seems to make it more interesting watching it from different places in the arena during the game.    

On 9/19/2022 at 6:09 AM, Kopy said:

First quarter or period I do. After that, I'll move up.

Oh definitely, if it's her first period? I try to sit as close to the bathrooms as possible. Because I'm considerate like that.

I mean, I move down when she goes to the bathroom. But damned if she doesn't find me about half the time.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:42 AM, TommyGavin said:

I’m not an animal- I stay in my seats

This. I’m not entitled to something I didn’t pay for. 

• Like 1