Voltaire

My China Experience Is Coming To A Close

27 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

You've got that right. Every-single-person I've talk to on the phone there, 100%, sounds like Wes Walls (some are female versions of Wes Walls).

I think the most important part of that video? Is that nobody. And I mean absolutely nobody in the background of that video even glanced at him.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

We may disagree on things but you and RLLD are truly the only two people here whose opinion I value despite being contrary to my opinion at times. 

Me too. Lets keep that part up, Sean. 👍

• Like 1

Awesome that you will be back.  i did not read enough to see where you will be but if you are ever up around Jax or Savannah GA let me know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voltaire said:

You've got that right. Every-single-person I've talk to on the phone there, 100%, sounds like Wes Walls (some are female versions of Wes Walls).

I say redneck, but don't get me wrong--my folks neighbors, everyone, friendly as all could be. I really hope you and your family have similar experiences.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to me.

I was pretty freaking naïve as to how confusing, time-consuming, and exhausting the hiring process works. 

The teacher shortage is real enough but there's no need at all for Social Studies teachers in Florida. Believe me, I tried. I got certified to teach Social Studies but those jobs get filled quickly. IT was when I got certified to teach math... BOOM! ... immediately ...  that's when not just the emails and phone calls were returned, but headhunters appeared.

Lions aside, 2023 has been a total sh*t year for me. For most of it, I took a job driving a wheelchair access van because it came with a vehicle. Strap people in and take them to doctors appointments or therapy mostly, but also grocery stores or the bank or the movies. It didn't pay much and I continue to not be getting any help since my wife's green card application has been held up for 11 months and counting. When I'd finally saved enough to buy a car, I switched to substitute teaching, which I can only do in Michigan, Florida has the program to put veterans into classrooms and is why I'm moving there. Been living with my sister, getting government assistance - so thank you taxpayers. I despise relying on the system and I wouldn't need it if they'd just process my wife's green card, who is anxious to get to work. She's a shoo-in once they get to her application, she entered legally, she's been married to a US citizen for seventeen years, and has three American citizen children, but the backlog is incredible.

I'm rather proud of my kids. The three are all straight A students, including amazingly my son, who has turned everything around after being wrecked and confidence destroyed in the Chinese school system. He's also on the JV wrestling team. His sisters had thrived in the Chinese pressure cooker system which has now put them light years ahead of their peers (except in English), the youngest is only now getting on par in English. My oldest has already surpassed her classmates in English too, let alone everything else, she's loaded up with AP classes despite only being in 10th grade. She's absolutely amazing across everything: academics, art, sports, (looks too).

So, anyway, when school re-opens again after the Christmas/New Year holiday, I'll be in the western Florida panhandle, teaching eighth grade math.

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Merry Christmas to me.

I was pretty freaking naïve as to how confusing, time-consuming, and exhausting the hiring process works. 

The teacher shortage is real enough but there's no need at all for Social Studies teachers in Florida. Believe me, I tried. I got certified to teach Social Studies but those jobs get filled quickly. IT was when I got certified to teach math... BOOM! ... immediately ...  that's when not just the emails and phone calls were returned, but headhunters appeared.

Lions aside, 2023 has been a total sh*t year for me. For most of it, I took a job driving a wheelchair access van because it came with a vehicle. Strap people in and take them to doctors appointments or therapy mostly, but also grocery stores or the bank or the movies. It didn't pay much and I continue to not be getting any help since my wife's green card application has been held up for 11 months and counting. When I'd finally saved enough to buy a car, I switched to substitute teaching, which I can only do in Michigan, Florida has the program to put veterans into classrooms and is why I'm moving there. Been living with my sister, getting government assistance - so thank you taxpayers. I despise relying on the system and I wouldn't need it if they'd just process my wife's green card, who is anxious to get to work. She's a shoo-in once they get to her application, she entered legally, she's been married to a US citizen for seventeen years, and has three American citizen children, but the backlog is incredible.

I'm rather proud of my kids. The three are all straight A students, including amazingly my son, who has turned everything around after being wrecked and confidence destroyed in the Chinese school system. He's also on the JV wrestling team. His sisters had thrived in the Chinese pressure cooker system which has now put them light years ahead of their peers (except in English), the youngest is only now getting on par in English. My oldest has already surpassed her classmates in English too, let alone everything else, she's loaded up with AP classes despite only being in 10th grade. She's absolutely amazing across everything: academics, art, sports, (looks too).

So, anyway, when school re-opens again after the Christmas/New Year holiday, I'll be in the western Florida panhandle, teaching eighth grade math.

Merry Christmas, Volty!

I'm happy to hear that things maybe look to be trending up for you now and I hope 2024 SURPASSES all of your expectations!

Also, where in the panhandle are you teaching?

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Merry Christmas, Volty!

I'm happy to hear that things maybe look to be trending up for you now and I hope 2024 SURPASSES all of your expectations!

Also, where in the panhandle are you teaching?

I don't want to get too specific because what happened between Rusty and HT has me spooked, but I'll be tucked just under Alabama and voting to re-elect Matt Gaetz come November.

------

Florida's 1st congressional district is a congressional district in the U.S. state of Florida, covering the state's western Panhandle. It includes all of Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa counties, and portions of Walton county. The district is anchored in Pensacola and also includes the large military bedroom communities and tourist destinations of Navarre and Fort Walton Beach and stretches along the Emerald Coast.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Merry Christmas to me.

Thanks for the update.  You had me at JV wrestling.  Also, 10th grade can size?

Next time we hit Miramar Beach, maybe dinner or drinks?

18 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I don't want to get too specific because what happened between Rusty and HT has me spooked, but I'll be tucked just under Alabama and voting to re-elect Matt Gaetz come November.

------

Florida's 1st congressional district is a congressional district in the U.S. state of Florida, covering the state's western Panhandle. It includes all of Escambia, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa counties, and portions of Walton county. The district is anchored in Pensacola and also includes the large military bedroom communities and tourist destinations of Navarre and Fort Walton Beach and stretches along the Emerald Coast.

What happened with HT?

21 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

------

Awesome, that's an area I like to spend time in.

Best of luck.

:thumbsup:

27 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

------

The reason I ask is occasionally the wife and I head down to Orange Beach and stay at a condo. I can always PM you when we head down there.  Of course, my wife is a hardcore liberal so I would be spooked about that too.  :)

• Confused 1

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Was just going to ask this myself.  I'm unaware of what happened. 

I believe it's because things got a little too personal.

There is another poster here who is very creepy with personal details and stalking others, I don't really want to mention the handle but, it's good enough reason for me to me less forthright with personal details.

• Like 1

You’re a typical conservative. Complains about lazy blacks getting government handouts and yet gets straight in line for help when you need it. Please, someone make it make sense. The whole south is filled with red states that get the most government assistance with its voters voting against that which is supporting them to live. Meanwhile, talking negatively about all the minorities and illegals getting money from hard working taxpayers. Woke liberals destroying our country, yet, it’s a very woke liberal who is helpful. None of this is ironic to you??? It’s like you all live in a fantasy in your head, but reality is that you are EXACTLY who conservatives despise. What is it about your lifestyle that isn’t what typical Democrats like myself believe deserve the safety net you are now receiving that the right yells from the rafters that they are against. You’re supposed to be picking oranges, not getting any government assistance if you’ve got boots to strap up. 

Glad you’re here. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, peenie said:

You’re a typical conservative. Complains about lazy blacks getting government handouts and yet gets straight in line for help when you need it. Please, someone make it make sense. The whole south is filled with red states that get the most government assistance with its voters voting against that which is supporting them to live. Meanwhile, talking negatively about all the minorities and illegals getting money from hard working taxpayers. Woke liberals destroying our country, yet, it’s a very woke liberal who is helpful. None of this is ironic to you??? It’s like you all live in a fantasy in your head, but reality is that you are EXACTLY who conservatives despise. What is it about your lifestyle that isn’t what typical Democrats like myself believe deserve the safety net you are now receiving that the right yells from the rafters that they are against. You’re supposed to be picking oranges, not getting any government assistance if you’ve got boots to strap up. 

Glad you’re here. 

What an awful take, I'd think most people approve of a system that will step in to provide essentials until one gets back on their feet or established for US citizens.  Volty is in a very unique situation with his wife not being able to work because of government backlog and him struggling to find work he's qualified for.

It's the lifelong abusers of the system that most have an issue with. This isn't difficult.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, peenie said:

Glad you’re here. 

Difference is he used a veterans service and used it the way it was supposed to be used. A very large percentage of blacks are on the governments tit from birth to death. 

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Merry Christmas to me.

I hope everything improves quickly once you move down there.

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Glad you’re here. 

typical liberal, doesn't read the story, a married citizen cant get his wife a green card so she can work, but you would support her if she came here illegally

there isn't a conservative outside of maybe 90sbaby who is against govt assistance, but think it should be short term not LIFELONG

save your racist comments

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLCKAA said:

Thanks for the update.  You had me at JV wrestling.  Also, 10th grade can size?

Next time we hit Miramar Beach, maybe dinner or drinks?

Sure I'd love to do a Geek meet. Since most all of my time was spent in China, I've only ever met two of you guys: nobody and CDub100. If you're in the area, let me know.

55 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

The reason I ask is occasionally the wife and I head down to Orange Beach and stay at a condo. I can always PM you when we head down there.  Of course, my wife is a hardcore liberal so I would be spooked about that too.  :)

Same as MLCKAA, let me know.

I don't have that problem with my wife. To get to understand the US better, my wife gets her US and world news from a US-based Chinese language social media platform. Whatever they discuss there, she invariably comes back taking conservative positions on pretty much everything. People who grow up in Communist countries can see through baizuo bullsh*t better than people from the US. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peenie said:

Glad you’re here. 

Wrong thread. This post makes no sense.  :wacko:

3 hours ago, peenie said:

Glad you’re here. 

I guess here’s that quick twitch.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Merry Christmas to me.

Hey man.  Merry Christmas.  Glad you're back in the good ole US of A and things are starting to come together.  Also glad your kids are doing so well in school.  Don't listen to Peenie.  As @Reality said, no one is against having systems to help people.  That's what they're for and Americans love helping people.  We just don't like being schmucks and helping people who don't even try to help themselves, which clearly isn't the case here.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

typical liberal, doesn't read the story, a married citizen cant get his wife a green card so she can work, but you would support her if she came here illegally

there isn't a conservative outside of maybe 90sbaby who is against govt assistance, but think it should be short term not LIFELONG

I'm fine with government assistance. I'm actually very fiscally liberal. Socially is where I'm dark red.

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Merry Christmas to me.

Awesome post. Sucks to hear about the trials and tribulations related to work and getting your wife here, but it’s great to hear how well your kids are doing. There’s no doubt that you and your wife have been amazing parents! I hope your 2024 is everything you want it to be.  :cheers:

54 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

ahh would have never guessed 🥂

Yep, I support universal healthcare and education and a number of other left ideas.. completely fine with business owners being taxed more since they can't be trusted to pay employees a proper salary anyways. It's just currently immigration is the biggest issue this country faces (it has been for 4 decades now) and I'll continue to R since they have a harder stance on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

Yep, I support universal healthcare and education and a number of other left ideas.. completely fine with business owners being taxed more since they can't be trusted to pay employees a proper salary anyways. It's just currently immigration is the biggest issue this country faces (it has been for 4 decades now) and I'll continue to R since they have a harder stance on it. 

I tend to agree with that, Im not sure about universal education personally, universal indoctrination most definitely

6 hours ago, Reality said:

I believe it's because things got a little too personal.

There is another poster here who is very creepy with personal details and stalking others, I don't really want to mention the handle but, it's good enough reason for me to me less forthright with personal details.

Another list I didnt make...sigh

8 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I NEVER EVER wrote that I would support an illegal get assistance or anything, no, I’m not for that at all all. Once again, you’re making stuff up in your head. Where did I write anything racist??? I didn’t mention race at all other than to point out that conservatives constantly use blacks as the poster child for receiving government and assistance when in fact whites are the majority getting it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peenie said:

I NEVER EVER wrote that I would support an illegal get assistance or anything, no, I’m not for that at all all. Once again, you’re making stuff up in your head. Where did I write anything racist??? I didn’t mention race at all other than to point out that conservatives constantly use blacks as the poster child for receiving government and assistance when in fact whites are the majority getting it. 

per capita

and you support illegals getting assistance by the way you continue to vote, something that hurts the black community more than any other

4 hours ago, peenie said:

Peenie, it's Christmas.  Take a day off.

I've been busy since I have had to scramble with a lot of last minute BS to deal with. My plan to attach a trailer hitch to my SUV blew up when I learned the rear end of the car had been in an accident and could not support a trailer hitch. Cosmetically it looks fine and mechanically otherwise is good but I needed to find a plan B and settled on renting one of these and see my stuff in 8-10 days: https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/?utm_campaign=uhaulsm&utm_source=blog&utm_medium=ubox&utm_content=20140202-howmanyseatsare 

Aparment is rented, taking the family down early in the morning, not going to be online much in the near future but the next time you hear from me, it'll be from Florida.

It's late December and winter has still not arrived in Detroit. Its been nice and mild this whole time. I'm amazed at how Autumn has been hanging around longer than ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope you have a safe fun and memorable trip to Florida. I thought you were there already. Please understand, I wasn’t attacking you but rather the conservative sentiments. Wishing you and your family all the best! 

• Like 1

Good luck with your travels and immigration issues, Volty. Don't be gone too long, you're a respected voice of reason in the GC.

25 minutes ago, Fnord said:

Good luck with your travels and immigration issues, Volty. Don't be gone too long, you're a respected voice of reason in the GC.

You aren't. :dunno:

• Confused 1

Holy crap man. I never thought we would see the day you moved back. I think I asked you at one time and you said fock no. How long you gonna be in the dirty D for?