Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Washing machines

My wife 38C goes to the laundromat every week because she hates our NEW washer.  It doesn’t have an agitator, other than me, and doesn’t work for squat.

What does your wife use and does it have an agitator?

My wife and I were talking about this the other day, our washer is 28 years old and in the unlikely event it does break we will fix it.

New washing machines are terrible.

Outside of microwaves and dishwashers new appliances in general are awful, and even dishwashers are debatable. I think used appliances are the way to go.

• Like 1

You have a washing machine and she goes out to do the laundry? You’re buying that? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Must be an LG top load.  My ex hated it because she had to use a little step to reach the clothes at the bottom.

I like it because I can do all my laundry in one load.....most of the time.

Agitator or no agitator is no difference

Your wife doesn’t know how to do laundry.  No agitator doesn’t matter. 

2 hours ago, frank said:

You have a washing machine and she goes out to do the laundry? You’re buying that? 

"Doing the laundry" is code for doinking the neighbor. 

We got the new Amana Al Sharpton model.  The weird thing is, you have to do the whites and the colors in the same load for it to be effective.  🤔

Speed Queen are the best units made. Ask any repair man, they never service them cuz they don’t break. And they have the center agitator.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

are her hands broken?  get her a 10 gallon tub and a plunger from the hardware store.  fill it with hot water and clothes, some detergent, plunge it 50x, wait 10 minutes, do it again, dump out the water, refill with a rinse cycle, plunge it 50x, done.

or build one of these

4 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

My wife 38C goes to the laundromat every week because she hates our NEW washer.  It doesn’t have an agitator, other than me, and doesn’t work for squat.

4 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

My wife and I were talking about this the other day, our washer is 28 years old and in the unlikely event it does break we will fix it.

New washing machines are terrible.

Outside of microwaves and dishwashers new appliances in general are awful, and even dishwashers are debatable. I think used appliances are the way to go.

Agree with Bum and the wives.  We've had a front-loader for so long that I forgot how good an old-school washing machine was, until we spent a month in a rental this past summer during our remodel.  Those things wash twice the clothes in half the time, and agitate the bejeebus out of clothes.  But I suppose we save a little water, whheeeee!  :( 

Front loaders do spin faster though, so that is a plus.

1 hour ago, Boots11234 said:

Speed Queen are the best units made. Ask any repair man, they never service them cuz they don’t break. And they have the center agitator.  

I hope that's true. Purchased a new SQ washer & dryer last June because I heard the same thing, & liked the fact that they're made in the US (Wisconsin) 

More expensive than other brands, but if they're as reliable as they say, it'll be worth it.  

10 minutes ago, easilyscan said:

I hope that's true. Purchased a new SQ washer & dryer last June because I heard the same thing, & liked the fact that they're made in the US (Wisconsin) 

More expensive than other brands, but if they're as reliable as they say, it'll be worth it.  

Our SQ dryer is melting some of our clothes. I don't have a problem with it but my wife does. Maybe she needs training

1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

Our SQ dryer is melting some of our clothes. I don't have a problem with it but my wife does. Maybe she needs training

Guess I'll have to buy an extra fire extinguisher for the laundry room :)

Speed Queen. 

10 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

This thread has digby vibes. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Agree with Bum and the wives.  We've had a front-loader for so long that I forgot how good an old-school washing machine was, until we spent a month in a rental this past summer during our remodel.  Those things wash twice the clothes in half the time, and agitate the bejeebus out of clothes.  But I suppose we save a little water, whheeeee!  :( 

Front loaders do spin faster though, so that is a plus.

Nothing worse than a front load washing machine. My old place had side by side top load washer. New place has stacked but the washer is front load. So it’s already small off the bat and then as your putting stuff in it it’s falling back out on you.  

• Like 1

Get a Speed Queen and thank me later. They are the closest thing to the old school washers you’re going to find. They also have the best warranty and are made in Wisconsin. 

8 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Nothing worse than a front load washing machine. My old place had side by side top load washer. New place has stacked but the washer is front load. So it’s already small off the bat and then as your putting stuff in it it’s falling back out on you.  

You can get washers in different sizes. We have a Samsung front loader pair that can fit our king size down comforter, no problem. It’s also connected to the internet and sends me a notification on the phone when it’s done.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mookz said:

We got the new Amana Al Sharpton model.  The weird thing is, you have to do the whites and the colors in the same load for it to be effective.  🤔

If it was a true Al Sharpton model you would throw out the whites. Sounds like you got a knockoff Ben Carson model.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

You can get washers in different sizes. We have a Samsung front loader pair that can fit our king size down comforter, no problem. It’s also connected to the internet and sends me a notification on the phone when it’s done.

I know you can get washers in different sizes. This one just happens to be small and I’m renting. It’s nice and new but on the smaller side which is even worse for a front loading machine. 

when I owned I had a nice big top load. 

Assuming the same size machines, the top load is always going to seem bigger as you can simply load more into it easily without items spilling out at you 

Great thread, my washer is squeling at me right now I just bought a few years ago. Now out of warranty. :mad:

7 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I know you can get washers in different sizes. This one just happens to be small and I’m renting. It’s nice and new but on the smaller side which is even worse for a front loading machine. 

Assuming the same size machines, the top load is always going to seem bigger as you can simply load more into it easily without items spilling out at you 

I hear you. There’s always a sock that tries to sneak out before I can close the door. I still prefer the front load, though. Easier to transfer to the dryer.

The number one thing I recommend is buying from a local dealer instead of a big box store. Second, stay away from Samsung and LG. Try to stick with a company based out of the US. 

All of you Speed Queen fans, are you talking top-load, front-load, either?  We're not in the market now but I'd like to make a mental note for the future.  :cheers: 

21 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

All of you Speed Queen fans, are you talking top-load, front-load, either?  We're not in the market now but I'd like to make a mental note for the future.  :cheers: 

Top load with the agitator. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

I haven’t paid rent since the 90’s. What’s it like now? Do you still write a check or do you Venmo it or something? 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I haven’t paid rent since the 90’s. What’s it like now? Do you still write a check or do you Venmo it or something? 

So first you sell your place at market peak, then you write a check to your landlord. Pretty simple

2/10. Cmon you can do better than that, chief. I’ve got your attention and all. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

So first you sell your place at market peak, then you write a check to your landlord. Pretty simple

2/10. Cmon you can do better than that, chief. I’ve got your attention and all. 

Uh huh. What happened ? The old place was too big for one sad, lonely message board troll? But yeah, renting is a great investment.  That’s what all the books say to do. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Uh huh. What happened ? The old place was too big for one sad, lonely message board troll? But yeah, renting is a great investment.  That’s what all the books say to do. 

3/10, just for the hilarity of calling me a board troll

yup, renting until I buy the next one. You don’t sell at peak just to turn around and buy at peak. 

are you the retired cop? Didn’t they teach you this stuff?

1 minute ago, WhiteWonder said:

yup, renting until I buy the next one. You don’t sell at peak just to turn around and buy at peak. 

You may be waiting a while. Those interest  rates don’t look like they’re coming down anytime soon. Good luck! 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You may be waiting a while. Those interest  rates don’t look like they’re coming down anytime soon. Good luck! 

Why would I be concerned with the interest rates?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Same as Hawkeye21: Top load with the agitator.

Although I'm not sure if it has an app for your phone to tell you when your clothes are dry............lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Why would I be concerned with the interest rates?

You’re planning on buying the next one dumbass. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’re planning on buying the next one dumbass. 

You’re assuming I’ll have a mortgage, dumbass 

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

You’re assuming I’ll have a mortgage, dumbass 

10 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Yeah I’m retired cop. What of it? Got a mall cop joke? Never heard that before. Where is your cubicle located? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah I’m retired cop. What of it? Got a mall cop joke? Never heard that before. Where is your cubicle located? 

Nope, I have a tremendous amount of respect for service men and women. though something tells me you were one of those d-bag cops who finally felt tough with a badge :lol:

I was looking to move, took advantage of the covid inflated prices in suburban NJ and sold for significantly more than I paid in 2018... I had no mortgage so yeah, the rates won't be of any importance to me unless I dramatically change my current plan and decide to buy in a pricier town or something I don't really need.... and as for the temporary renting, it's almost entirely offset by no longer paying property taxes + HOA fees. 

but to keep this on track...    it WILL have a top load washing machine with an agitator!