Pimpadeaux

What concerts do you most regret not attending?

All of these were in Houston:

1.) Bruce Springsteen on "The River" tour. I was offered a ticket but turned it down because I wasn't into his music. Big mistake.

2.) Talking Heads at a small venue called Rockers in Houston in 1982 on the "Remain in Light" tour. Again, offered a ticket but didn't go.

3.) The Clash at the Sam Houston Coliseum. Sometime around 1982.

Johnny Winter at a small theater in 1984. I passed because I went to a Blues game, and never saw him play live.

Not a huge regret, but I could've gone to see Slayer a few years ago.  Would've been a good time. 

1 hour ago, paulinstl said:

Johnny Winter at a small theater in 1984. I passed because I went to a Blues game, and never saw him play live.

I'll bet he was pretty amazing.

Candlebox.  Had tickets for me and Girlfriend when I was 17.  My mom didn't want me to go and made me sell the tickets. 

I would have liked to see the Beastie Boys live.   For the most part I make the concerts i want to go to happen.  I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Childers right now, but I'm also not going to pay $300 a pop on the secondary market for crap seats.

4 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Candlebox.  Had tickets for me and Girlfriend when I was 17.  My mom didn't want me to go and made me sell the tickets. 

I would have liked to see the Beastie Boys live.   For the most part I make the concerts i want to go to happen.  I wouldn't mind seeing Tyler Childers right now, but I'm also not going to pay $300 a pop on the secondary market for crap seats.

I saw the Beach Boys briefly at Jazzfest like 11 years ago. I wandered over there to see them so I could say I'd seen the beach boys. lol.

• Like 1

Muddy Waters 1980 the Wilma.

I was 16 didn't know who he was.

Eagles before Glenn Frey died.

Tom Petty before Tom Petty died

Michael Jackson before Michael Jackson died

Whitney Houston before Whitney Houston died

there may be more

I had tickets for SFV in 88 or 89 and was in hospital so gave them to then GF and her brother- I never saw SRV live. She’s dead too. Just for clarification 

Steely Dan. Two friends invited me, and I passed. Then Steely D didn't play live again for many years. 

ETA: I had tickets to see Clapton, and we got there on time. Only problem was that Ry Cooder was finishing his last song with his band as we were getting seated. I would have shown up to see him if I had only known. He was not listed on the ticket. 

The ones I regret were not-so-much concerts, but small venue shows.   I also turned down Steely Dan in a small club in NYC in the early 2000's.   The other one I regret is turning down seeing Susan Tedeschi in a small venue right after Just Won't Burn came out.   I was at a bar in New Orleans about 10 years ago, and left to meet a consultant for a drink at another bar.   When I returned to the original bar 45 minutes later, I learned that Billy Joel had joined the house band on keyboards for a few songs and then walked out.   Not a lot of regrets otherwise.

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

I had tickets for SFV in 88 or 89 and was in hospital so gave them to then GF and her brother- I never saw SRV live. She’s dead too. Just for clarification 

After whiffing on Springsteen, the Talking Heads and The Clash, I didn't turn down my buddies when they wanted to go see a band at a small venue, a place called Fitzgerald's. 

I was all about arena rock and all that and didn't think anyone playing a small venue would be any good, but I went because I thought I might miss something.

We got there a little early and got a table in the middle right in front of the stage. It was kind of old school, with white tablecloths and candles.

We drank a couple of beers and then it was showtime.

Our walks Stevie Ray Vaughan, and for the next couple of hours, it was the greatest live-music experience of my life and remains the G.O.A.T. to this day. I saw him a couple of times after that in bigger venues, but nothing came close to that night.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

After whiffing on Springsteen, the Talking Heads and The Clash, I didn't turn down my buddies when they wanted to go see a band at a small venue, a place called Fitzgerald's. 

I was all about arena rock and all that and didn't think anyone playing a small venue would be any good, but I went because I thought I might miss something.

We got there a little early and got a table in the middle right in front of the stage. It was kind of old school, with white tablecloths and candles.

We drank a couple of beers and then it was showtime.

Our walks Stevie Ray Vaughan, and for the next couple of hours, it was the greatest live-music experience of my life and remains the G.O.A.T. to this day. I saw him a couple of times after that in bigger venues, but nothing came close to that night.

I just jizzedin my pants 

2 regrets- Zeppelin and SRV. 

Back in the early 80's we went to a small club in Austin where the Fabulous Thunderbirds were doing a week of shows. After their first set, my brother suggested we go to a different club and check out Marcia Ball. On the way out, the bartender told me we should stick around for the next set because Jimmy Vaughan's brother might sit in and he's worth seeing. So we did. The T Birds came out and Jimmy introduced SRV as his brother Steven. They did Superstition and Stevie blew the roof off the joint. This was before Texas Flood came out.

After I got home, I told all my friends that I had seen the best guitar player I'd ever seen and his name was Steven Vaughan.

:lol:

I did catch SRV in 93 right before he tragically died.

None...  Really never had liked going to concerts, so I haven't missed any that I regret...

There are some artists that I would like to see, but it isn't a bucket list item...

I got to see Jerry Garcia 11 times back in the 80s 90s oh my God so much fun.

1 minute ago, taco breath said:

I got to see Jerry Garcia 11 times back in the 80s 90s oh my God so much fun.

I saw the Dead more than 50 times over a 15 to 20 year period.

10 minutes ago, posty said:

None...  Really never had liked going to concerts, so I haven't missed any that I regret...

There are some artists that I would like to see, but it isn't a bucket list item...

I'm sure concerts feel the same way about you.

4 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

I just jizzedin my pants 

2 regrets- Zeppelin and SRV. 

I paid a scalper $200 in 1980 to secure me a couple of seats to Led Zeppelin's upcoming American tour, for which they were rehearsing when Bonham died.

Back then, that would have gotten me some kick-ass seats.

It was heartbreaking to have to go get that refund.

paulinstl saw them a few times, once when they were great and the other when they weren't so great.

I would have liked to have seen Prince, or even Michael Jackson (pre-kid toucher allegation days). Maybe Cyndi Lauper...all of those 80s bands that I loved. 

Was considering seeing Madonna again, but her tickets are outrageous even for nosebleeds. I saw her Blonde Ambition tour when I was 13, it was an amazing show. 

46 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I paid a scalper $200 in 1980 to secure me a couple of seats to Led Zeppelin's upcoming American tour, for which they were rehearsing when Bonham died.

Back then, that would have gotten me some kick-ass seats.

It was heartbreaking to have to go get that refund.

paulinstl saw them a few times, once when they were great and the other when they weren't so great.

You got a refund from a scalper ???

Summer of 1990, I had been in Phoenix a year and flew out to Hollywood to hang with a college buddy for the weekend.  He had a few roommates, one of which was in a band.  Band name was Neverland I think.

Sunday rolled around and it was time to head to the airport.  They invited me to stay an extra day, they were performing somewhere that afternoon. 

Allegedly they were working with somebody who worked with U2, but I was like :rolleyes: thinking sure, they'll be the next big thing.  Also I was starting a new permanent position after a rotation program so I didn't want to miss my first day.

As I was about to leave there was a knock on the door; a drop dead gorgeous blonde in a limo driver outfit with a ginormous limo waiting.  I was :shocking:but it was too late to change my flight.

By all later reports they had a blast.  I missed my one chance to actually party like a rock star, for an otherwise unmemorable work day. :(

1 hour ago, paulinstl said:

After I got home, I told all my friends that I had seen the best guitar player I'd ever seen and his name was Steven Vaughan.

:lol:

Did they argue that James Hendrix was better?  :lol:

46 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Was there time travel involved?

Might have been 92 can't remember a******

3 hours ago, Thornton Melon said:

SRV died in '90

Okay then I saw him and 89 f***** tard 

I saw everyone that I wanted to see: 

( Beatles at DC Stadium soon to be RFK in 1966 )  &  ( Rolling Stones at RFK previously DC Stadium on July 4, 1972 ).

Saw:  Led Zeppelin, Who, Grand Funk, Eagles 4X, Jimmy Buffett, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, George Harrison, Ravi Shankar, Eric Clapton, Ten Years After, Willie Nelson, George Jones, James Gang, Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Allman Brothers, Beach Boys July 4th on the DC Mall twice, Foghat, Grand Funk, Peter Frampton, Warren Zevan, Elvis Costello, Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, James Taylor, BoxTops, Santana, Byrds, Hank Williams Jr, Patsy Cline, Aerosmith, Blood Sweat & Tears, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Three Dog Night, Little Feat, Catfish Hodge, Monkees, Black Sabbath, Dillards, StarLand Vocal Band with John Denver, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Roy Acuff, Mamas and Papas, Jimmy Dean  and a few others that I don't recall right now.

Who I didn't see: Jimi, Janis + the Greatest -->  ELVIS PRESLEY

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

I saw everyone that I wanted to see: 

( Beatles at DC Stadium soon to be RFK in 1966 )  &  ( Rolling Stones at RFK previously DC Stadium on July 4, 1972 ).

Saw:  Led Zeppelin, Who, Grand Funk, Eagles 4X, Jimmy Buffett, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Procol Harum, George Harrison, Ravi Shankar, Eric Clapton, Ten Years After, Willie Nelson, George Jones, James Gang, Paul Simon, Linda Ronstadt, Allman Brothers, Beach Boys July 4th on the DC Mall twice, Foghat, Grand Funk, Peter Frampton, Warren Zevan, Elvis Costello, Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, James Taylor, BoxTops, Santana, Byrds, Hank Williams Jr, Patsy Cline, Aerosmith, Blood Sweat & Tears, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Three Dog Night, Little Feat, Catfish Hodge, Monkees, Black Sabbath, Dillards, StarLand Vocal Band with John Denver, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Roy Acuff, Mamas and Papas, Jimmy Dean  and a few others that I don't recall right now.

Who I didn't see: Jimi, Janis + the Greatest -->  ELVIS PRESLEY

Wow! I'd like to know more about the Zeppelin show you saw. 

I saw Aerosmith and Neil Young at the worst possible times.

Aerosmith on the "Rock in a Hard Place" tour without Joe Perry, and Young on his solo "Trans" tour, which I guess was interesting artistically but didn't exactly rock out with a cawk out.

16 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Summer of 1990, I had been in Phoenix a year and flew out to Hollywood to hang with a college buddy for the weekend.  He had a few roommates, one of which was in a band.  Band name was Neverland I think.

Sunday rolled around and it was time to head to the airport.  They invited me to stay an extra day, they were performing somewhere that afternoon. 

Allegedly they were working with somebody who worked with U2, but I was like :rolleyes: thinking sure, they'll be the next big thing.  Also I was starting a new permanent position after a rotation program so I didn't want to miss my first day.

As I was about to leave there was a knock on the door; a drop dead gorgeous blonde in a limo driver outfit with a ginormous limo waiting.  I was :shocking:but it was too late to change my flight.

By all later reports they had a blast.  I missed my one chance to actually party like a rock star, for an otherwise unmemorable work day. :(

Was her name Gigi ?

Biggest regret is I had Paul McCartney tickets in 2014.  We got married a few months  before and a friend threw us this over the top party at his house.  His son was getting married the day of the concert and they invited us.  We felt like we had to go to the wedding because they threw us the party.  We see them like once a year now. 

I had Springsteen tickets when I was in college for the Born in the USA tour.  I lived in Erie and the show was in Cleveland.  My POS car was broken down and i just broke up with the girl I was going to go with so I just sold them rather than look for someone with a decent car to go with. 

Had front row seats to Art Garfunkel in Tampa but it got canceled due to COVID so I had no control there. 

No real regrets because I saw The Moody Blues 7 or 8 times and you can not ever top that.  They were the best.