GutterBoy

Tennessee passes bill gutting marriage rights

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I read that article 3 times and can't tell what it is trying to say.

I presume "solemnize" means perform the "I dos".  So the clerk would still need to issue the license, but can't be forced to officiate.  :dunno: 

That's exactly what it is.  No one is being denied the right to get a license and get married.  It's protecting people's rights to exercise their freedom of religion.

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I read that article 3 times and can't tell what it is trying to say.

I presume "solemnize" means perform the "I dos".  So the clerk would still need to issue the license, but can't be forced to officiate.  :dunno: 

I’m not so sure. According to TN law, county clerks and judges can “solemnize” a marriage. Do those people generally perform I Do’s or just sign off on the union?

Either way, the law was clearly designed to let government officials opt out of officiating gay marriages. Which is weird, cause I was told Republicans. I longer care about the gheys.

:mellow: 

12 minutes ago, League Champion said:

When 2 men can procreate is when they can get legally married. 

Liberals love Science, look it up on your Google machine. 

If they want to get married, have at it.  Let them suffer just like married people.  What I have an issue with is why is the government even involved in a private contractual matter?

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I’m not so sure. According to TN law, county clerks and judges can “solemnize” a marriage. Do those people generally perform I Do’s or just sign off on the union?

Either way, the law was clearly designed to let government officials opt out of officiating gay marriages. Which is weird, cause I was told Republicans. I longer care about the gheys.

:mellow: 

You're choosing willful ignorance I see.

13 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

County clerks have no impact on this.  You're reaction is a result of misinformation.  You should be mad at the twitter account and author of the article.  The clerks have ZERO ability to deny anyone of anything, from this bill.  It's solely for the protection of the rights of the people that perform the ceremony/rites.  Think of it as if these were bakers being legally allowed to NOT bake a cake.  In that scenario, the people getting married can still get a cake, but it has to be from someone else.  Here, the people can still get their license and get married, it just has to be someone who is fine with performing the ceremony.

I read one article that says public employees like clerks can refuse to solemnize a marriage on religious grounds. I guess you can go to another clerk but why the hell should you have to? 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I read one article that says public employees like clerks can refuse to solemnize a marriage on religious grounds. I guess you can go to another clerk but why the hell should you have to? 

Solemnize, which is to perform the ceremony.... NOT hand out licenses. They MUST fulfill that job requirement regardless of their religious beliefs.  Also, the ability to solemnize a marriage does not automatically come with the job title of a clerk, in ANY state, including Tennessee.  It's something that the clerk must obtain under their own personal endeavors.

If someone is so apathetic towards marriage that they want to go to a clerk to perform their rites... why not just have a friend go online and for $10 and 30 minutes of time, get ordained and they can perform the ceremony.  Why do you feel that some people's rights are more important than other people's rights?

22 minutes ago, RLLD said:

No good.....and I mean....NO GOOD....would ever come from government interfering with healthcare....government is NOT the answer, it is the problem. 

Lots of countries have government-run healthcare. And their systems are better than ours. We pay more than any other country for healthcare, but many other countries have higher life expectancy than we do, and better healthcare too. Our system is a disaster, and switching to a universal system would be a major improvement.

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Solemnize, which is to perform the ceremony.... NOT hand out licenses. They MUST fulfill that job requirement regardless of their religious beliefs.  Also, the ability to solemnize a marriage does not automatically come with the job title of a clerk, in ANY state, including Tennessee.  It's something that the clerk must obtain under their own personal endeavors.

If someone is so apathetic towards marriage that they want to go to a clerk to perform their rites... why not just have a friend go online and for $10 and 30 minutes of time, get ordained and they can perform the ceremony.  Why do you feel that some people's rights are more important than other people's rights?

The license isn’t valid until it’s been solemnized.

§ 36-3-103

(a) Before being joined in marriage, the parties shall present to the minister or officer a license under the hand of a county clerk in this state, directed to such minister or officer, authorizing the solemnization of a marriage between the parties. Such license shall be valid for thirty (30) days from its issuance by the clerk.

You have to get somebody to perform the ceremony within 30 days.

More info on the TN laws here:

https://www.ulc.org/wedding-laws/tennessee#:~:text=The state of Tennessee allows residents and nonresidents,more before a marriage license can be granted.

PS - Online ordinations are not valid if you want to perform a marriage in Tennessee.

2 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Lots of countries have government-run healthcare. And their systems are better than ours. We pay more than any other country for healthcare, but many other countries have higher life expectancy than we do, and better healthcare too. Our system is a disaster, and switching to a universal system would be a major improvement.

I think the "better than ours" might be something of a subjective assessment. I might not agree with your version of "better".

If your only measure is how much it costs then by that standard a reasonable person might suggest other systems are better.  But there are other factors. By comparison I consider the Canadian solution a disaster and ours to be superior.

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

I think the "better than ours" might be something of a subjective assessment. I might not agree with your version of "better".

If your only measure is how much it costs then by that standard a reasonable person might suggest other systems are better.  But there are other factors. By comparison I consider the Canadian solution a disaster and ours to be superior.

Do you think life expectancy is a reasonable measure of the quality of a nation’s healthcare?

Just now, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

no

What is then?

I think the no bail laws are much worse. 

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

What is then?

nothing

every country is different, every country has different factors

we are the most obese country in the world, that has nothing to do with healthcare, thats why our life expectancy is lower

10 minutes ago, dogcows said:

The license isn’t valid until it’s been solemnized.

You have to get somebody to perform the ceremony within 30 days.

More info on the TN laws here:

https://www.ulc.org/wedding-laws/tennessee#:~:text=The state of Tennessee allows residents and nonresidents,more before a marriage license can be granted.

PS - Online ordinations are not valid if you want to perform a marriage in Tennessee.

Thank you. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

nothing

we are the most obese country in the world, that has nothing to do with healthcare, thats why our life expectancy is lower

America is actually not even in the top 5 in most obese countries.

2 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

nothing

Some people move the goalposts. You decided to just take them down and bury them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

America is actually not even in the top 5 in most obese countries.

Not in the top 50 countries for life expectancy either. People in Cuba live longer than us. 

Just now, dogcows said:

Not in the top 50 countries for life expectancy either. People in Cuba live longer than us. 

I'd be interested in what the data would be if we only included CA, NY, TX, FL. 

1 minute ago, dogcows said:

we have better healthcare than Cuba

let me know when the last time Cuba had a medical breakthru

24 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Do you think life expectancy is a reasonable measure of the quality of a nation’s healthcare?

I think it can be included, but as a measure of less importance.  

Keep in mind that most life expectancy factors are owned by the individual and not the provider. No matter your effectiveness as a healthcare provider you simply cannot control your patients diet or other life choices.  Moreover, are we removing things such as drug-related, or lifestyle-related elements?  I am hesitant to put too much weight into that one....

19 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Full stop here....using Cuba....its setup and systems...in any way... to suggest a better solution is an instant hit to your credibility. Let's use almost any other country....

The only reason Cuba would have a longer life expectancy than the US is that they probably don't allow you to die in Cuba.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

What I have an issue with is why is the government even involved in a private contractual matter?

I agree, but they are, and taxes and SS are tied to it so in the end it's all about getting the benefits.

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Full stop here....using Cuba....its setup and systems...in any way... to suggest a better solution is an instant hit to your credibility. Let's use almost any other country....

My point is that despite the fact that our healthcare system is supposedly far superior to other countries, a backwards country like Cuba has a longer life expectancy than we do. I thought the most basic function of healthcare was to keep you alive? 

If we can’t match a totalitarian dump like Cuba for life expectancy, how can we possibly say we have a good healthcare system?

11 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

So not only is the Tennessee gov banning drag shows and gay marriage, he's trolling for twinks on Instagram: 😂

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna74182

If you were a smart person I would think you are trolling. 

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why do I get the feeling there’s more to this story? I’ll hold off in condemning it. 

I've completely given up on Liberal media.  My default presumption is that they have knowingly misrepresented the issue. These lying sacks of shitt have thoroughly earned that lack of faith.  And no, Conservative media isn't the same, and here's the difference.  Liberal media intentionally misrepresents the facts, whereas Conservative media simply doesn't show the Liberal perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Patented Phil said:

I've completely given up on Liberal media.  My default presumption is that they have knowingly misrepresented the issue. These lying sacks of shitt have thoroughly earned that lack of faith.  And no, Conservative media isn't the same, and here's the difference.  Liberal media intentionally misrepresents the facts, whereas Conservative media simply doesn't show the Liberal perspective.

They count on idiots like Gutterboy to first  off believe their bullshit, and then amplify it. A useful idiot. He’s an idiot for believing it, and useful by repeating it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They count on idiots like Gutterboy to first  off believe their bullshit, and then amplify it. A useful idiot. He’s an idiot for believing it, and useful by repeating it. 

Now don't you think this goes both ways ?  Seriously.  Come on .. both sides are doing the very same thing.

1 hour ago, kozmiq said:

Now don't you think this goes both ways ?  Seriously.  Come on .. both sides are doing the very same thing.

Nope. The mainstream media is almost always accurate. They were in this case. The “alternative” conservative media lie constantly. It’s not a “both sides” thing; it never has been. 

6 hours ago, nobody said:

The only reason Cuba would have a longer life expectancy than the US is that they probably don't allow you to die in Cuba.

So they can torture you longer

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Weird that you defend adult behavior in front of children.

No surprise there. In being outraged that drag queens can't perform in a park or library, he's just being consistent.