Sign in to follow this  
Wave of Colorado Buffaloes hit transfer portal after first spring game with Deion Sanders as head coach...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2023-college-football-spring-games-takeaways-deion-sanders-dazzles-in-debut-at-colorado-alabama-qbs-struggle/

Colorado wrapped up its first spring practice session under coach Deion Sanders on Saturday, but the roster is going to look much different when toe meets leather this fall. Fifteen players have entered the transfer portal since Sunday, signifying that Sanders has major work to do in order to reconfigure his roster during the summer.

Wide receiver Montana Lemonious-Craig is one of the highest-profile players to make the decision to leave Boulder. The junior made waves on Saturday by catching three passes for 154 yards and two touchdowns during the first spring game for coach Deion Sanders. One of those passes was a 98-yard score from transfer quarterback Shedeur Sanders. The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder from Inglewood, California, was the Buffaloes second-leading receiver last season with 23 catches for 359 yards and three touchdowns.

Fellow wide receiver Jordyn Tyson also announced Monday that he is hitting the portal after a successful first season in Boulder. Tyson finished last season as the top receiver on the roster with 470 yards on 22 receptions after joining the program from Allen (Texas) High School. 

Deion Smith, last season's top running back, also entered the portal on Monday. The 6-foot, 190-pound senior led the team with 393 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns last season. He had 653 yards rushing and four rushing touchdowns during his four seasons with the Buffaloes.

Here's a look at the players who have entered the portal so far, according to the 247Sports transfer portal tracker:

• OL Jackson Anderson: A 6-foot-4, 295-pounder from Mineola, Texas, Anderson redshirted in 2021 and wasn't a contributor in 2022. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2021.
  • DL Aaron Austin: The 6-foot-2, 230-pounder was a three star prospect in the Class of 2022 out of Fort Worth, Texas. 
  • LB Shakaun Bowser: The 6-foot-4, 230-pounder from Queen Creek, Arizona, didn't record any stats last year. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022.
  • LB Devin Grant: The 6-foot-3, 260-pound sophomore has played in 15 games and started two during his three seasons with the program. He had 14 tackles and two tackles for loss in 2022 and was expected to contend for playing time in 2023.
  • OL Alex Harkey: The 6-foot-6, 305-pounder played one season at Colorado after transferring from Tyler (Texas) Junior College.
  • WR Montana Lemonious-Craig: The superstar from the spring game is one of the highest-profile departures from the roster. He is already receiving offers from FBS programs according to his Twitter account.
  • CB Jason Oliver Jr: The rising sophomore defensive back had 11 tackles in 2022 -- mostly as a reserve and on special teams. The 6-foot, 175-pounder wasn't expected to see much action in 2023.
  • WR Grant Page: A 6-foot-3, 200-pound rising redshirt freshman who was an option for rotational snaps. He played in two games in 2022.
  • DB Oakie Salave'a: Salave'a is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound rising redshirt freshman came to Colorado as a three-star athlete in the Class of 2022. He did not record any stats as a true freshman.
  • LB Aubrey Smith: Smith had eight tackles and one sack as a true freshman. He was a three-star prospect in the Class of Buford (Georgia) High School.
  • DB Xavier Smith: The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder from metro Atlanta signed as a three-star prospect in the Class of 2022. The speedster was the Georgia Region 4-AAAAAA Player of The Year in 2021.
  • RB Deion Smith: Smith was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2018 out of Houston.
  • WR Chase Sowell: Sowell entered the portal on Saturday. The rising redshirt freshman had two catches for 23 yards in three games last year, and was expected to contend for playing time in 2023.
  • DB Tyrin Taylor: The rising junior had 26 tackles and one interception last season. He was expected to contend for playing time as a starter for the Buffaloes prior to entering the portal.
  • WR Jordyn Tyson: The leading receiver from last season was a three-star prospect prior to his success with the Buffaloes in 2022.

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Why?

Does this question mean "Why did I post this as no one cares about Colorado football" or "Why are so many players hitting the transfer portal after the spring game" or there is another question?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, posty said:

Does this question mean "Why did I post this as no one cares about Colorado football" or "Why are so many players hitting the transfer portal after the spring game" or there is another question?

Why are they bailing on prime time. He seemed to have done a pretty good job at a small school

Didn't he tell the players to start hitting the portal when he 1st spoke as coach?

Just now, listen2me 23 said:

Didn't he tell the players to start hitting the portal when he 1st spoke as coach?

I thought I remember seeing that everyone on the team no longer had a scholarship and they had re-earn it...  But if that was true, why wait until after the spring game to bail?

Those are leftovers from a team that was God-awful last year with a 1-11 record.

He told them from the jump to start looking for another place to play. How many terrible players from a terrible team should be kept? That's not how these things go. Sure, people don't like Deion for whatever reason but, none of this should be surprising.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Why are they bailing on prime time. He seemed to have done a pretty good job at a small school

My thought is they don't like the culture there.  Deion seems like he's a no nonsense kind of coach, the complete opposite of how he was as a player.  Looks to me it's either going to be Deion's way or leave.

I kind of like it because I'm tired of these players thinking they are the one's in charge and that they don't have to follow rules without consequences.  It's the way Iowa has always been and it's what led to the lawsuit a couple years ago.  A lot of these kids can't handle being in a strict environment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

My thought is they don't like the culture there.  Deion seems like he's a no nonsense kind of coach, the complete opposite of how he was as a player.  Looks to me it's either going to be Deion's way or leave.

I kind of like it because I'm tired of these players thinking they are the one's in charge and that they don't have to follow rules without consequences.  It's the way Iowa has always been and it's what led to the lawsuit a couple years ago.  A lot of these kids can't handle being in a strict environment.

I love it. I hope he makes Colorado into a powerhouse. I actually wanted him to stay at a HbCU cause of what he could bring there 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Probably something to do with installing his son as QB without any competition and telling the rest of the players to "deal with it".  What a d#uche.

They’re going to be better but I don’t see them topping Oregon, USC, Utah or even UCLA (the elites of the PAC-12- and yes I know that me putting the Bruins in there is self-indulgent wishful thinking!) 

When USC and UCLA take off next year for the Big-10, that should help the Buffaloes. 

He told them all he was gonna overrecruit and no one was safe.  Not a great message.   They all waited for the spring game so they could get some exposure.  

13 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I love it. I hope he makes Colorado into a powerhouse. I actually wanted him to stay at a HbCU cause of what he could bring there 

I was hoping he would stay there too.  Would be awesome to see someone turn a small college into a contender.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, supermike80 said:

He told them all he was gonna overrecruit and no one was safe.  Not a great message.   They all waited for the spring game so they could get some exposure.  

For it being his first year, I don't mind it.  If he does this every year then I would be bothered more by it.

Deion's future hinges on Mike Norvelle. After 2 bad seasons Norvelle produced 10 wins last year. If he were to fail to build on that success I could see 2 10ish win seasons at Colorado and then Deion bolting for Tallahassee. 

14 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I might counter with the notion that he is still the same exact person, and has not changed at all.  It always was his way or else.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, posty said:

I thought I remember seeing that everyone on the team no longer had a scholarship and they had re-earn it...  

13 hours ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Probably something to do with installing his son as QB without any competition and telling the rest of the players to "deal with it".  What a d#uche.

Yeah this doesn’t seem hypocritical at all…

11 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I might counter with the notion that he is still the same exact person, and has not changed at all.  It always was his way or else.

It's worked out pretty well for him.

Just now, Reality said:

It's worked out pretty well for him.

I would agree.  He seems to be progressing well doing things his own way.  Happy for him. 

16 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Why?

They don`t want "Tough Love"  

Sanders has put tough rules on phones use, dress codes and discipline in place.

I will take a couple years but he will get the type of kids he wants.

53 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

They don`t want "Tough Love"  

Sanders has put tough rules on phones use, dress codes and discipline in place.

I will take a couple years but he will get the type of kids he wants.

I absolutely agree with that 100%.

The problem I have is installing his son as QB without earning it.  Nepotism at its finest.  

7 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

The problem I have is installing his son as QB without earning it.  Nepotism at its finest.  

It IS nepotism, but this isn’t Ivanka. QBs have to produce. If he doesn’t Sanders will have to pull the plug. 

I'm thinking that this isn't a bad thing for Colorado.  If I recall, they haven't been relevant for like 15+ years.  I believe I heard that Colorado had 1 winning season since 2007(? or something like that.... not counting 2020).  Odds are that there aren't that many dedicated players and that Sanders is working them over... but they're too soft.  Deion did a great job at Jackson State, so I'm at least willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over a team that went 1-11 last year and 10-26 over the last 3 (full), seasons (I could be off on that 3 year total... I don't feel like looking it up, going off memory).

2 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

It IS nepotism, but this isn’t Ivanka. QBs have to produce. If he doesn’t Sanders will have to pull the plug. 

True, but there was no competition at all and the larger issue is that he EVERYONE ELSE on the team they'll have to earn or re-earn their positions.  Not his son, though!  it shows that there are TWO standards at play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bostonlager said:

Deion's future hinges on Mike Norvelle. After 2 bad seasons Norvelle produced 10 wins last year. If he were to fail to build on that success I could see 2 10ish win seasons at Colorado and then Deion bolting for Tallahassee. 

He may find he falls in love with it here.  A lot of pro athletes who play here end up staying.  Heck, Peyton Manning still lives here and he was only here as a player for 5 years.  Colorado may not be able to pay quite as much as some schools, but they can pay decently and Boulder/Denver is a wonderful place to live.  And Colorado WAS a top tier school at one point in time.  No reason they can't be again.

Of course with the transfer portal being the main recruiting tool now, Sanders should have no problem getting a good team for the upcoming season...

On 4/24/2023 at 6:25 PM, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Beats TCU and this douche acts like he doesn't know who prime is 😂

On 4/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I absolutely agree with that 100%.

Has he earned it yet?

27 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Has he earned it yet?

He still could have at least waited a few practices to proclaim him the starter 

18 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

He still could have at least waited a few practices to proclaim him the starter 

This is why you're not the coach.

46 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Has he earned it yet?

Sad GutterPedo - trying so hard and failing once again.  You're used to that, though.  :thumbsup:

Trying to take the most miniscule of shiat and working that into some kind of "gotcha".  :lol:

Both you and Pimpadouche deserve each other at your glory hole.  Maybe Glory Hole Garret will join you two for a threesome circle jerk.

• Thanks 1

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Sad GutterPedo - trying so hard and failing once again.  You're used to that, though.  :thumbsup:

Trying to take the most miniscule of shiat and working that into some kind of "gotcha".  :lol:

Both you and Pimpadouche deserve each other at your glory hole.  Maybe Glory Hole Garret will join you two for a threesome circle jerk.

This is why everyone regards you as the dumbest person here.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

This is why everyone regards you as the dumbest person here.

Yeah, everyone regards ME as that. 🙄 🤣

You should learn how to read rooms because you're really bad at it.   Maybe take a formal class or something on it.  Keep trying and flailing you pathetic f'n loser.  :lol: