Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

Ex-NHL player Adam Johnson dies after reportedly suffering neck injury during game

I am kinda surprised this does not happen more often. Imagine how the guy who's skate that was feels.

Oct. 29 (UPI) -- Former NHL player Adam Johnson is dead following a "freak accident" during a game in Britain's top hockey league, according to the Nottingham Panthers, the team for which Johnson, 29, was playing.

The Panthers were playing the Sheffield Steelers in The Challenge Cup game when Johnson suffered a cut to the neck by a skate during an on-ice collision.

Officials stopped the game in the second period, and the 8,000 fans in attendance were later asked to leave the stadium in Sheffield where The Challenge Cup was being played due to what the team called a "major medical emergency" in a social media post.

Johnson, an American, received emergency medical treatment from paramedics on the ice.

Fellow players formed a ring around him right after the accident. Screens were raised around Johnson, and the players returned to the locker rooms.

The Panthers announced Sunday that Johnson "tragically passed away following a freak accident at the game in Sheffield last night," adding that the team was "devastated."

"The club will dearly miss him and will never ever forget him," the statement read.

"Adam, our number 47, was not only an outstanding ice hockey player, but also a great team-mate and an incredible person with his whole life ahead of him.

"The Panthers would like to send our thoughts and condolences to Adam's family, his partner, and all his friends at this extremely difficult time.

"Everyone at the club including players, staff, management and ownership are heartbroken at the news of Adam's passing."

South Yorkshire police were called to Utilita Arena in Sheffield at about 8:25 Saturday night in response to a player having been seriously injured during the game.

"Officers attended the scene alongside other emergency services and one man, aged in his 20s, was taken to hospital with serious injuries," the statement from police said. "Sadly, he was later pronounced deceased at hospital.

"Our officers remain at the scene carrying out enquiries today and our investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident remain ongoing."

Johnson was playing in the Elite Ice Hockey League, considered Britain's best. The EIHL postponed Sunday's scheduled games in light of "deeply upsetting news," the league said.

"The thoughts of everyone connected with the EIHL are with Adam's family, friends and team-mates at this incredibly sad and difficult time," the league added.

The Panthers asked that fans respect the privacy of Johnson's family and friends in this difficult time and as they "seek to come to terms with our grief."

"Rest in peace Adam," the Panthers said.

Johnson previously played 13 games for the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League.

"Adam will always be a part of the Penguins family. It was our honor to watch him fulfill his dream of playing in the National Hockey League," the Penguins said in a statement.

"Our prayers and deepest condolences go to his family, friends and team-mates," the NHL added.

Just like Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednick, except they were able to survive…

RIP

This was always in the back of my mind when my sons played hockey. I would always buy them neck guards, whether they wore them was another story :angry:

Only one coach in all the years my sons played required his team to wear neck guards. Not that they're perfect, but I'd like to think they'd reduce the risk.

10 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

This was always in the back of my mind when my sons played hockey. I would always buy them neck guards, whether they wore them was another story :angry:

Only one coach in all the years my sons played required his team to wear neck guards. Not that they're perfect, but I'd like to think they'd reduce the risk.

The factory had to convert a tractor tire to make a neck guard for Drobeski. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

Don’t watch the video of it, it’s horrifying :(

What a fluke incident that was…

1 hour ago, dain11279 said:

Don’t watch the video of it, it’s horrifying :(

Holy sh1t that he got up and started skating again 

I worry about that with my kids playing hockey.

Or a line drive to the chest in baseball.

But I dunno, not much you can do about it I guess, except remind yourself of the odds.

Should definitely be much more terrified of when they start to drive :o 

5 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I

Should definitely be much more terrified of when they start to drive :o 

Or when they first start to vote D

4 minutes ago, SUXBNME said:

Or when they first start to vote D

We’ll see what they do.

Mostly I’ve just tried to teach them not to be fockin’ assh0les.

Since being an enormous d1ck seems to be the main feature of the modern republican platform, I expect that they won’t vote for the Rs, but you never know what they’re gonna do, and that’s for them to decide :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Mostly I’ve just tried to teach them not to be fockin’ assh0les.

:thumbsup:

6 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Jesus it looks like h tried to kick him but at full speed would be very difficult 

Yeah, it looks almost intentional there, or at least like the guy could have avoided doing it.

8 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Jesus it looks like h tried to kick him but at full speed would be very difficult 

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

Yeah, it looks almost intentional there, or at least like the guy could have avoided doing it.

23 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

That’s not an accident

Wow.  That’s quite the accusation.

16 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I’m sure he didn’t try to kill him, but does look like he kicked him on purpose 

• Like 1

My boy has been playing since he was 4 (now 11).  Neck guards became mandatory about 4 years ago. You can’t play without one.  I hope that is the way it is heading all over to avoid these tragedies. 

15 hours ago, posty said:

Just like Clint Malarchuk and Richard Zednick, except they were able to survive…

RIP

I remember reading that had Clint been in the other side of the ice he would not of survived 

1 hour ago, Alias Detective said:

I’m not saying he intentionally tried to slash his throat.  However that is poor skating discipline and your body just doesn’t do that when skating.  He was way out of control.  

People are calling for his arrest for manslaughter.  Already putting it on race since the guy that hit him is black.  Terrible situation.

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

1 hour ago, KSB2424 said:

I’m not saying he intentionally tried to slash his throat.  However that is poor skating discipline and your body just doesn’t do that when skating.  He was way out of control.  

I more agree with KSB.

When I look at the zoomed in video it gets weird. At 1st I thought it was a hip check attempt gone very bad but it doesn’t explain the leg whip. Did he attempt to hit him with his blade in the chest area and got out of control?

20 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Uh oh. It looks like the assailant is black. You all need to delete your posts about this being intentional. Racists. 

Maybe he just fell because blacks don’t know how to ice skate either amirite?

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

People are calling for his arrest for manslaughter.  Already putting it on race since the guy that hit him is black.  Terrible situation.

Don't look up who led last season in penalty minutes. 

7 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Maybe he just fell because blacks don’t know how to ice skate either amirite?

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

7 minutes ago, jonnyutah said:

Don't look up who led last season in penalty minutes. 

I already saw that.  Not a good look.

One of three things happened here 

Most likely: Dude is a massive thug that tries to hurt people and intentionally kicked him, and accidentally got the guy in the neck.

Less likely: dude is a thug that literally tried to slash a guys throat because he is so unhinged.

Super unlikely: Dude is a massive thug and really sucks at skating, like really, really bad, and is only kept on the team because he is a black guy and he accidentally lifted his leg high enough to hit somebody in the neck, because he just can't skate, oh and also commits tons of other penalties, but we can't look at past behavior, so it must be an accident. Oh and also somehow he manages to skate well enough to have scored 48 points, but he just can barely stand up straight in skates and must just be like that guy in mighty ducks with the wicked slap shot. 

At first I thought it was 100% accident, after wating the video it was 100% not an accident. 

The defensive player was not hit and knocked off balance, it looked like a drop kick with skates on.  

Horrible, there had to be 2 pints of blood on the ice in an instant. 

The skate cut right through Adam's windpipe, and it cut his carotid artery. And, at one point, they had lost him in the ambulance and they brought him back. Adam didn't make it through surgery once they got him to the hospital.

Todd Bertuzzi was criminally charged. They should certainly look at whether this guy should be, as well

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

The defensive player was not hit and knocked off balance, it looked like a drop kick with skates on.

That's not accurate.  He was hit.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It looks to me like he was hit and was going to put a hit on Johnson, but when he got hit, he got turned around...  I still think it was a complete accident...  No one would go out there and try to seriously injure someone with an extremely sharp blade...

Either way, the truth will come out...

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Looked like he wasn’t hit but he checked the other guy (not the dead one)