Sign in to follow this  
Stryker Ryker

Cheap meals you still enjoy

What are some cheap meals you might’ve eaten when younger that you still enjoy? For instance, hamburger helper. Didn’t eat it much growing up but did when I was in the AF. Still cook it occasionally to this day 

• Like 1

Kraft macaroni and cheese.  Stir in some Frank's Red Hot or Sriracha for some spice. 

So incredibly bad for you but oh so tasty! 

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

Shrimp & Grits. 

Embarrassed to admit that I don't think I've ever had grits.  It's corn meal or something???

Before I opened the thread I was thinking Hamburger Helper. Nothing wrong with Ramen Noodles (besides the sodium). Adds some ground beef and you’ve got a gourmet dinner. 

35 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

Before I opened the thread I was thinking Hamburger Helper. Nothing wrong with Ramen Noodles (besides the sodium). Adds some ground beef and you’ve got a gourmet dinner. 

There’s a curry ramen they sell during this time of year at sams that’s pretty awesome :thumbsup: 

40 minutes ago, DonS said:

Kraft macaroni and cheese.  Stir in some Frank's Red Hot or Sriracha for some spice. 

So incredibly bad for you but oh so tasty! 

I like to stir in a half stick of butter (no milk), and I don't mix the powder all the way, so that it stays in big clumps.

39 minutes ago, DonS said:

Embarrassed to admit that I don't think I've ever had grits.  It's corn meal or something???

My wife doesn’t like them cause of a texture thing but theyre good when done right. They can be garbage if made with just water. Bunch of recipes down here in South Carolina that make it creamy & delicious. Highly recommend trying shrimp & grits. However it’s gotten to where it’s not somewhat expensive 

1 hour ago, Stryker Ryker said:

What are some cheap meals you might’ve eaten when younger that you still enjoy? For instance, hamburger helper. Didn’t eat it much growing up but did when I was in the AF. Still cook it occasionally to this day 

Used to like hamburger helper rice oriental (is that still OK to say ?) but they discontinued it many years ago. Still grab a Totino's pizza 3 or 4 times a year. Fits perfectly in the tray that came with my toaster oven. Also make what we used to call barbecue when I lived at home. Brown 1 pound lean ground beef, drain grease, add ketchup mustard & sweet baby rays barbecue sauce. Have it in a bun with half a slice of Colby Jack cheese. YAH-ME 

Wife made beef stew over white rice tonight for the first time in years. Not bad. Real focking cheap 

I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, frank said:

I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? 

Ha! 

23 minutes ago, frank said:

Your the Gourmet around here Ed.

Ramen. I drain the water it was cooked in and add fresh boiled water and do not use the packet. Use my own spices and add a soft boil egg marinaded in oyster sauce. 

44 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Shredded chicken breast and thigh thrown into the pot while cooking Zatarains dirty rice

Use hamburger meat instead of chicken. Two boxes and the holy trinity and grand garlic with a can of rottelle. With Texas toast.🥕🍻🐊

• Thanks 1

I told this story before. I haven’t had it in years but I used to eat chef boyardee ravioli. Wife was horrified and Italian grandmother would turn over in her grave. 

Anyway I used grated Parmesan that we bought in Montreal for like $19.99 a pound on a $2.00 can of ravioli. 

:lol:

33 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Meatballs, the store bought little ones frozen in a bag. jar of spaghetti sauce, hoagie buns and provolone cheese or sprinkled parm. Had them last night and will be tonight as well, Dang tasty and last a couple days. This is the brand I like.

https://www.cookedperfect.com/meatballs/

I did something similar Saturday. Bag of frozen meatballs, a jar of grape jelly and a jar of pepper jelly. Put it in the crock pot, and stir. Very easy and cheap. French bread and mayo, eat for days, unless the fatty shows up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ron_Artest said:

Cut up hot dogs in a can of beans.

I am really not a hot dog fan but this is the way I eat it. Has to be a good dog. Only time I would add ketchup to a dog. 

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

Taco Bell is the correct answer!

I kicked the aTB habit a year ago. 

40 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

I did something similar Saturday. Bag of frozen meatballs, a jar of grape jelly and a jar of pepper jelly. Put it in the crock pot, and stir. Very easy and cheap. French bread and mayo, eat for days, unless the fatty shows up.

Sounds good and once in a awhile I put Red Hot Sweet Chili sauce on the meatballs and tasty too.

11 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I kicked the aTB habit a year ago. 

I have a TB two blocks from my house and glad I don't have the habit of eating there much.

47 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

I am really not a hot dog fan but this is the way I eat it. Has to be a good dog. Only time I would add ketchup to a dog. 

Met fan. 

1 hour ago, TommyGavin said:

I told this story before. I haven’t had it in years but I used to eat chef boyardee ravioli. Wife was horrified and Italian grandmother would turn over in her grave. 

I love that sh1t

25 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I have a TB two blocks from my house and glad I don't have the habit of eating there much.

Same. 5 minute drunk walk. Honestly I would go get it and not even eat it. Sobered up and tossed it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Same. 5 minute drunk walk. Honestly I would go get it and not even eat it. Sobered up and tossed it. 

Lol and I also have a Wendy's 2 blocks away in opposite direction and hardly ever eat there, do like the pub burger and get it once a year.

I love me some pb&j and some goldfish crackers just like a 5 year old!

Bean Burritos.  Just a can of refried beans, some mexican cheese, and a flour tortilla.   Quick, inexpensive and darn good

Wish I was still in SA cause those $1.50 breakfast tacos those old Mexican ladies would make were amazing. I could kill 5-6 of those in one sitting