Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Happy Semi-Annual Time Warp$#@!

Spring forward is always worse, you get an hour less of sleep. If you do the time warp. :wave:

Spring forward is always worse, you get an hour less of sleep. If you do the time warp. :wave:

Spring forward is always the best, who cares about 1 hour on one night. We get an hour more light for months now.

I prefer DST and wish it was that way all year. Or put Michigan on Central time. Either way

Spring forward is always the best, who cares about 1 hour on one night. We get an hour more light for months now.

Really, you don't. I paraphrase a Native American Chief which I'm confident was quoted earlier in this thread. "Only the white man would think that he can cut a foot off of one end of a blanket and sew it onto the other end of the blanket, and believe that he has a longer blanket." :cheers:

Really, you don't. I paraphrase a Native American Chief which I'm confident was quoted earlier in this thread. "Only the white man would think that he can cut a foot off of one end of a blanket and sew it onto the other end of the blanket, and believe that he has a longer blanket." :cheers:

Tell that to the average workday, i cannot work 6-3, but i can do 7-4.

I get an hour of extra light every day.

Tell that to the average workday, i cannot work 6-3, but i can do 7-4.

I get an hour of extra light every day.

Agreed I prefer the "extra" daylight in the evening than in the morning.

Also I know we don't get extra daylight so I don't need the hur hur hur actually comments from the gallery you know what I mean

I prefer DST and wish it was that way all year. Or put Michigan on Central time. Either way

Shortens the golf day and season moving to central time.

No

Shortens the golf day and season moving to central time.

No

You're right I have that backwards

I like DST and want to stay on it all year. moving to central would make it worse.

:nono:

Sorry, did you wake up an hour too early to sit on a stool on an ice pond and drink heavily? Or too late? I never can keep that straight. Luckily I don't need to. :cheers:

Sorry, did you wake up an hour too early to sit on a stool on an ice pond and drink heavily? . :cheers:

Jealousy will get you nowhere. :nono: :cheers:

DST sucks hairy balls. Hope Cali follows in AZ’s footsteps.

DST sucks hairy balls. Hope Cali follows in AZ’s footsteps.

Interesting. I've always felt that we should always be on DST.

• Like 1

Interesting. I've always felt that we should always be on DST.

This.

Also Old maid is wrong, California is not voting to eliminate DST, they are voting to make it permanent. Which is an excellent idea.

DST sucks hairy balls. Hope Cali follows in AZs footsteps.

I thought we determined long ago you like hairy balls. I think we faxed about that. Check the captains log.

This. Not sure why his gets such a bad rep.

Do away with regular time actually.

I just support whichever one it is where the sun is overhead at noon time.

Although I love it being light for longer after work, before DST just ended on Sunday it was a little too dark in the morning time.

In the case of Proposition 7, proponents of permanent Daylight Saving Time point to a 2014 study that claims permanent DST could reduce car accidents that occur when people lose that hour in the spring. Never mind the fact that permanent DST means they never get that hour back or that in the winter children would be headed to the bus in darkness every morning.

Fortunately California won’t immediately lose that hour. Besides a required vote by the State Legislature, federal law has to also change. It’s why Florida, which approved a similar measure in March of this year, still had to give that hour back to its citizens November 4.

Hmm, apparently I didn't bump this last spring.  Anyway, for those of you who think you got more daylight in the summer because you changed an arbitrary clock setting, now is the time to give that sunlight back.  This might make you sad, losing pretend extra time, but imagine how happy you'll be in the spring when you pretend take it back$@!  :thumbsup:

I was against it for years when I worked nights. Now that I'm up at 5:45 am every day I see the light. Get it? I said "I see the light " because it's lighter earlier. 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I was against it for years when I worked nights. Now that I'm up at 5:45 am every day I see the light. Get it? I said "I see the light " because it's lighter earlier. 

Good job digby!

Because of this stoopid time warp, Verizon is confused and thinks I'm on Denver time, so it has my phone an hour ahead of the correct time.  My wife's phone has the correct network time; both of us have Samsung, but mine is newer (S9 vs. S7).  I feel like this has happened before but I'm too lazy to look back in this thread.  Heck, I've already lost an hour of my life, according to my phone.  :(

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Because of this stoopid time warp, Verizon is confused and thinks I'm on Denver time, so it has my phone an hour ahead of the correct time.  My wife's phone has the correct network time; both of us have Samsung, but mine is newer (S9 vs. S7).  I feel like this has happened before but I'm too lazy to look back in this thread.  Heck, I've already lost an hour of my life, according to my phone.  :(

Don't worry, you've lost many hours of your life poasting here on teh geek bored.  :thumbsup:

Also, what was the verdict on that Newsday stumper?  😏

12 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Don't worry, you've lost many hours of your life poasting here on teh geek bored.  :thumbsup:

Also, what was the verdict on that Newsday stumper?  😏

I've been meaning to tell you, I ran the experiment yesterday morning -- used a browser where I wasn't logged into Newsday, and other than a bunch of annoying requests to join, it worked without an account as you indicated.

But that makes me wonder why I would have set up an account in the first place.  🤔

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've been meaning to tell you, I ran the experiment yesterday morning -- used a browser where I wasn't logged into Newsday, and other than a bunch of annoying requests to join, it worked without an account as you indicated.

But that makes me wonder why I would have set up an account in the first place.  🤔

Hmm, yeah. 🤔  

Did you just "register" or are you actually paying something?

2 hours ago, Reality said:

I always forget how worked up Jerry gets over this sh!t.

:lol:

Permanent daylight saving time in the United States

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Uniform Time Act was passed in 1966 to define a uniform observance of time for the whole country. The Act included the setting when to begin and end of daylight saving time. The Uniform Time Act also permits states to choose whether they want to observe daylight saving time or remain on standard time permanently all year without any legislative approval from the federal congress. However, the act does not permit states the option to remain on daylight saving time permanently all year. A change in federal law is necessary to allow states to choose whether they want to observe daylight saving time permanently all year. Many states have now moved forward state bills, resolutions, and referenda to indicate whether they want to observe daylight saving time permanently year-round once federal law permits them to do so.

As a work around to the Uniform Time Act, Delaware and most states in New England (New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut) have state bills proposing the adoption of year-round “Atlantic Standard Time,” which is the time zone that lies to the east of Eastern Standard Time, and then opt out of observing daylight saving. This would be the equivalent of observing daylight saving time year-round for the Eastern time zone. The benefit of this option is that it would not need a congressional vote, instead these state proposals could be approved by the federal Department of Transportation. Similarly, Washington state enacted a bill for year-round DST pending congressional approval but also has an alternative bill that could be enacted if congress does not act where it would enact year-round observance of Mountain Standard Time (instead of Pacific Standard Time) without daylight saving time.[1]

A number of other states have also proposed bills to enact year-round standard time for their current time zone. Many of these bills have failed since current research does not support there to be many benefits to year-round standard time observance. The most commonly cited benefits for abandoning the time switch to standard time includes: traffic safety, economic increases, and energy usage reductions. With the extra hour of daylight in winter months, this would eliminate an increase in traffic accidents observed immediately after the time switch. Another commonly cited benefit includes, the economic gains observed by shoppers and those dining out after work in the summer months, continuing into the winter months. With more people going out to public venues and others going home after the work-day but not using lighting, there should be a reduction in energy usage with the extra hour of daylight in the evenings.

Many people believe that daylight saving time was first created for agricultural or interstate commerce purposes, but it was really started by Germany and France during World War I in an effort to save coal by reducing energy consumption with a longer day.[citation needed] Today, the reality is that this reduction in energy consumption benefit is needed just as much if not more during the winter months than the summer months.[citation needed] In 2018, the European Commission performed a public survey[2] and discovered that 84 percent of European citizens were in favor of discontinuing daylight saving time switches. The commission then proposed ending daylight saving time changes as early as this 2019.[3] However, the conclusion of the European commission report only indicated that member states should decide whether to use their current standard-time during winter months or select a different standard-time that aligns to their current summer month's time which would equate to remaining on daylight-saving time year round.

The Sunshine Protection Act of 2019 has been introduced in the Senate by Senator Marco Rubio (R) of Florida. The Act would create permanent daylight-saving time for all of the current times zones across the whole country. The Act does this by amending the time offsets by 1-hour for each of the standard time zones in use in the US which equates to the current daylight saving time offsets. It is currently co-sponsored by nine senators including Senator Patty Murray (D) of Washington state where a bill has already been signed into law to enact permanent DST for the state pending federal legislative approval. The issue of permanent DST is one of the very few issues these days that is truly bipartisan. Both Republicans and Democrats alike seem to be in favor of the idea with broad support across the country in many states. President Trump has even endorsed permanent DST on Twitter in March 2019 by stating, "Making Daylight Saving Time permanent is O.K. with me!"[4] However, as of May 2019, the bill has not been taken to the Senate floor for a vote and is currently in review by the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.[5]

Lots of people think it is dumb.  Also in the above article, DST comes from Nazi evil.  :angry:

On 11/6/2018 at 4:04 PM, OldMaid said:

DST sucks hairy balls. 

Always enlightening to get the female perspective. 

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Lots of people think it is dumb.  Also in the above article, DST comes from Nazi evil.  :angry:

:lol:

5 hours ago, Fireballer said:

I love DST.  Extended twilight golf hours:clap:

#metoo

Here in Michigan our summer nights are focking awesome.

28 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

#metoo

Here in Michigan our summer nights are focking awesome.

Technically, the proposals in my link are for perpetual DST.  So, Michigan would stay EDT all year.  Michigan is focked up tho; it is so far west for the eastern time zone, combined with how north it is (especially in the Yoop where we usually went), that it was still light out at 10:30pm.  I guess that that is nice if you want to get a quick 9 holes in at 8pm, but it is a PITA to get young kids to sleep.

18 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Technically, the proposals in my link are for perpetual DST.  So, Michigan would stay EDT all year.  Michigan is focked up tho; it is so far west for the eastern time zone, combined with how north it is (especially in the Yoop where we usually went), that it was still light out at 10:30pm.  I guess that that is nice if you want to get a quick 9 holes in at 8pm, but it is a PITA to get young kids to sleep.

Michigan used to be Central time up until 1916 when Detroit switched to Eastern. The whole state officially switch to EST in 1942

I do enjoy the late evenings with the sun still up. The western yoop has a crazy amount of daylight.

I'm 100% in favor of perpetual DST