Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

The bacon thread

What kind of bacon do you like to buy? How do you like it? Crispy and crunchy or a little softer? Applewood, cherrywood, maple, etc?

Peppered bacon. Would prefer form a good butcher or meat market but those are quite pricy here (much more plentiful and reasonably priced in Wisconsin).

Kroger has actually had some good thick cut bacon in the meat counter.

Crisp but not burnt.

You guys ever get the feeling that Digby is in cahoots with Facebook and trying to get loads of random information from people who don't use it?

Bacon sucks. Have not eaten a strip of it in 40 years.Sausage!!!

Thick, hickory smoked.

Bake at 400*, on a cooling rack sitting inside a foil lined sheet pan. 19 minutes to crispy goodness.

Thick, hickory smoked.

Bake at 400*, on a cooling rack sitting inside a foil lined sheet pan. 19 minutes to crispy goodness.

Great point...baking >>>> pan frying.

Not a fan. Has to be crispy if I do have it

By and large, I have found that women prefer burned crispy bacon. Which has all the taste of licking an ashtray that once housed a greasy pork chop.

Men, real men that is, know the bacon should be chewy. So you can fully enjoy the flavor of the bacony goodness.

Otherwise, just grab yourself a 10 of bacon flavored Pringles. You suck.

They sell this stuff at the mall here in china. Its kinda like a bacon jerky. Thick as a piece of leather. Have many different flavors, pepper, maple syrup, etc.

I love that sh!t. Its one of the few things Id bother to bring back home with me food wise.

They sell this stuff at the mall here in china. Its kinda like a bacon jerky. Thick as a piece of leather. Have many different flavors, pepper, maple syrup, etc.

I love that sh!t. Its one of the few things Id bother to bring back home with me food wise.

Slim Jim makes bacon jerky. Had the hickory smoked,very tasty and smoky. Labeled as 100% bacon.

You guys ever get the feeling that Digby is in cahoots with Facebook and trying to get loads of random information from people who don't use it?

It is good that someone is starting non-political threads.

It is good that someone is starting non-political threads.

Enabler. :)

Totally something someone mining private information would say.

I pop it in the oven as I jump in the shower - cooks while I get ready. Great time saver on top of being easy clean up.

Agreed. Won't use the frying pan for that again most likely. If I have just a couple slices? Microwave. But microwave sucks at cooking significant quantities of bacon. And the oven is perfect for that.

By and large, I have found that women prefer burned crispy bacon. Which has all the taste of licking an ashtray that once housed a greasy pork chop.

Men, real men that is, know the bacon should be chewy. So you can fully enjoy the flavor of the bacony goodness.

Otherwise, just grab yourself a 10 of bacon flavored Pringles. You suck.

Chewy is the only way to go.

Crispy is only good for making bacon bits

More fat, the better. Fock that lean sh!t.

Chewy is the only way to go.

My grandpa liked his this way - I couldn't stand it, tasted wrong. The only time bacon should be like this is after cooking in a pot of Charro beans for 3 hours.

Flavor depends on what else I'm having. If it's sweet, I go peppered bacon. If it's savory, I go maple. Kroger also has a really good green chile rubbed bacon they sell seasonally that is amazing.

As for cook, I sous vide (think slow cook) thick cuts for 12ish hours then thrown them on a hot griddle for around 30 seconds a side. Crisp on the outside but tender on the inside.

Get ours from the butcher shop around the corner. Baked is the way to go and it's gotta be a little crispy. :wub:

Canadian.

Because it pisses Trump off!

:lol: