Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Do you believe in an afterlife?

I guess the logical side of me starts to think there isn't -- but the hopeful spiritual side of me believes there is. I guess in essence I want to believe this isn't really it. With all those near death accounts maybe there really isn't. Not sure of course but If I had to wager I would say there is something even if I admit I have no clue what it might be.

So do you think there is an afterlife or just nothing - ie. you die lights out thats it?

I don't. I think we cease to be.

I also am certain that I don't know everything, and I've never been afraid to hedge my bets. So when somebody offers to pray for me or someone I care about, I thank them and tell them I appreciate it.

My sister died last week almost 2 years to the day after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was a kind, giving person who shared my beliefs (or lack of same). Last thing I said to her was "Hey, just in case we're both wrong and there IS something else, see what you can do about greasing the skids for me."

I also am certain that I don't know everything, and I've never been afraid to hedge my bets. So when somebody offers to pray for me or someone I care about, I thank them and tell them I appreciate

:thumbsup:

No. If there were and God wanted people to believe, all she would have to do is give us some proof of immortality. Absent proof, I can't justify altering my behavior during the precious time I have living. And I find it hard to believe I'd change her mind if I converted on my deathbed.

No. If there were and God wanted people to believe, all she would have to do is give us some proof of immortality. Absent proof, I can't justify altering my behavior during the precious time I have living. And I find it hard to believe I'd change her mind if I converted on my deathbed.

It figures... if God were real, she'd be a PMS'ing crazy b!tch. :lol:

I also am certain that I don't know everything, and I've never been afraid to hedge my bets. So when somebody offers to pray for me or someone I care about, I thank them and tell them I appreciate it.

My sister died last week almost 2 years to the day after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was a kind, giving person who shared my beliefs (or lack of same). Last thing I said to her was "Hey, just in case we're both wrong and there IS something else, see what you can do about greasing the skids for me."

So sorry to hear. I don't really believe in an afterlife either, but I'll throw some thoughts and prayers her way. :thumbsup:

tip, thinking there is an afterlife doesn't have to mean a religious one.

No. This is pretty much it.

So sorry to hear. I don't really believe in an afterlife either, but I'll throw some thoughts and prayers her way. :thumbsup:

Thank you. Kathy led a good life cut too short. Fine wife, mother, grandmother, confidante and sister.

If you're one of those people who don't see a doctor regularly for whatever reason: nothing wrong with me, afraid to invite bad news, etc, make an appointment today. Had she had recommended check ups there's a good chance I wouldn't be writing about and mourning her death.

It figures... if God were real, she'd be a PMS'ing crazy b!tch. :lol:

Obviously god is female. No all powerful man would run such a focked up illogical piece of shiot.

Thank you. Kathy led a good life cut too short. Fine wife, mother, grandmother, confidante and sister.

If you're one of those people who don't see a doctor regularly for whatever reason: nothing wrong with me, afraid to invite bad news, etc, make an appointment today. Had she had recommended check ups there's a good chance I wouldn't be writing about and mourning her death.

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure you were a great comfort to her in her final days, and a great brother in general.

Your question presupposes there is a "Before Life".

Plus, I don't care if you'e getting un limited blowjobs and Super Bowls, the idea of 'eternity' should scare the crap outta anybody.

You must've been an evil sumbitch in your real life then :P

If you're implying I'm in hell, you'd be somewhat right. But those around me fortunate enough to live and experience life with me would digress. I am the alpha life. The only people that have let me be , are the sad and lonely.

... when somebody offers to pray for me or someone I care about, I thank them and tell them I appreciate it.

Agreed and I do something similar when some says, "Bless you" after I sneeze. I say, "Thank you, I know you mean well."

Your question presupposes there is a "Before Life".

Plus, I don't care if you'e getting un limited blowjobs and Super Bowls, the idea of 'eternity' should scare the crap outta anybody.

Same here. I don't care how fun it is, I can't imagine how bad my knees will feel in a couple hundred years.

Agreed and I do something similar when some says, "Bless you" after I sneeze. I say, "Thank you, I know you mean well."

If I'm going through hard times and someone says 'thoughts and prayers', I tell them I'll just take the thoughts please.

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure you were a great comfort to her in her final days, and a great brother in general.

Thanks. I appreciate that. She was a very private person, but especially toward the end shared a lot of thoughts with me due to my experiences that she didn't with others. I feel proud knowing she trusted her little brother.

The idea of it is a little crazy to me. I understand the basis of it, that this life is hard, there must be something better after this life is over, or on the other side, that a person is so evil they will never be properly punished for what they've done, so there must be something that will punish them worse than they can ever be punished in this life.

I'm not buying either idea. We're worm food after this life, and I'm fine with it. Just because we are self aware and have the capacity to create the concept of an eternal soul doesn't mean that we actually have one.

In a scientific sense, if you don't stick yourself in a box in the ground, your molecules will actually become something else, which will become something else, etc, etc, so you actually are eternal already. You just don't have the streets paved in gold and eternal bliss of heaven or the fiery pits and eternal torment of hell.

What, no believers? C'mon peeps - it's okay to say yes, doesn't hurt.

Yes, I believe. :thumbsup:

What, no believers? C'mon peeps - it's okay to say yes, doesn't hurt.

Yes, I believe. :thumbsup:

Same here...I do waiver and struggle with my own faith. But always come back to my beliefs or they get strengthened by something.

I think we cease to be.

I honestly have a harder time getting my haid around that than I do pearly gates and angels.

What exactly is "ceasing to be" - what exactly is "nothingness" - my initial reaction is some sort of darkness or sleep, but I doubt that's accurate.

We create concepts like good/evil, dark/light, heaven/hell because they help us understand and explain what's around us and sometimes when we can't explain things, we still try to put them neatly into one of these boxes/concepts.

I don't know the answer to the afterlife question.

I do believe that metaphorically and spiritually, you are "resurrected" and "live forever" in the minds/hearts of your family and loved ones, that is, if you weren't a complete asswhole to everyone and they'd rather have you gone than around - but from a scientific, provable, and physical standpoint? I have no idea if there is an "afterlife".

I say thanks when someone blesses me, but gesundheit to others when they sneeze.

I honestly have a harder time getting my haid around that than I do pearly gates and angels.

What exactly is "ceasing to be" - what exactly is "nothingness" - my initial reaction is some sort of darkness or sleep, but I doubt that's accurate.

We create concepts like good/evil, dark/light, heaven/hell because they help us understand and explain what's around us and sometimes when we can't explain things, we still try to put them neatly into one of these boxes/concepts.

I don't know the answer to the afterlife question.

I do believe that metaphorically and spiritually, you are "resurrected" and "live forever" in the minds/hearts of your family and loved ones, that is, if you weren't a complete asswhole to everyone and they'd rather have you gone than around - but from a scientific, provable, and physical standpoint? I have no idea if there is an "afterlife".

Sleep is probably a good analogy - no awareness of what is going on around you. But why do you need to understand what happens after you die?

Certainly there is. We were all given lives for purpose. Only the truly egocentric believe that this one-in-billion-billion shot at taking a breath is meaningless and temporary.

I assume there is no suffering in heaven, right?

Probably just some shortness of breath from the altitude.

Everything is related and the universe(s) is one large entity/organism. Religions focus on the individual consciousness which is what people are naturally worried about. That ceases to exist when you die.

Evolution created a self-preservation mentality which is good for survival of a species, but makes dying especially scary for intelligent creatures.

Certainly there is. We were all given lives for purpose. Only the truly egocentric believe that this one-in-billion-billion shot at taking a breath is meaningless and temporary.

I think it is far more egocentric to believe we are created in the image of an all-powerful being. And that we can exist eternally.

In my opinion we are pretty insignificant compared to the vastness of time and the universe.

Lol. How is it "egocentric" to believe that you're temporary, just like everybody else? And "meaningless" is you editorializing.

Math and Science are awesome. Albert Einstein explained there is an "afterlife".

E = mc² Energy never dies, it only transforms and Energy and Mass are equivalent.

Science says "we" or our energy/mass has to go somewhere. :)

I don't think you understand what egocentric means.

Math and Science are awesome. Albert Einstein explained there is an "afterlife".

E = mc² Energy never dies, it only transforms and Energy and Mass are equivalent.

Science says "we" or our energy/mass has to go somewhere. :)

:thumbsup:

The "afterlife" is being worm food.

IMO our consciousness and our bodies are separate things that merge at birth (or at conception if your republican) and take time (a few years) to begin to come together. When the Body dies the Consciousness leaves. Whether that consciousness represents a soul and you go to a heaven or keeps getting more bodies like reincarnation. We are the only beings on the planet that are self aware I just think that has to mean something and be for a reason