Sign in to follow this  
Q.Lazzarus

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

I live in Michigan about 70 miles east of Whitefish Point. on Lake Superior/Lake Huron

If you ever get the chance the Edmund Fitz historical musium at Whitepoint is worth the money. It is just amazing to think of something like that happening. Edmund Museum at Whitefish Point

There is an actual lifeboat from the wreck at the Valley Camp Museum I remember when I was a kid, my parents brought me to the museum and we saw this lifeboat. It still scares the sh*t out of me when you see a steel life boat torn in half.

the Valley Camp is a retired 728 foot ore ship that is located in the down town area

I have also had the chance to see and meet Gordan Lightfoot. He puts on an entertaining show. He tells stories and so on about why he wrote his songs.

Did that happen at Sundown?

It's as if you could read my mind.

I live in Michigan about 70 miles east of Whitefish Point. on Lake Superior/Lake Huron

If you ever get the chance the Edmund Fitz historical musium at Whitepoint is worth the money. It is just amazing to think of something like that happening. Edmund Museum at Whitefish Point

There is an actual lifeboat from the wreck at the Valley Camp Museum I remember when I was a kid, my parents brought me to the museum and we saw this lifeboat. It still scares the sh*t out of me when you see a steel life boat torn in half.

the Valley Camp is a retired 728 foot ore ship that is located in the down town area

I have also had the chance to see and meet Gordan Lightfoot. He puts on an entertaining show. He tells stories and so on about why he wrote his songs.

I've been there and it's great. They quietly play Lightfoot's song about the tragedy as you walk around the museum. It's quite eerie and really hits home. Also, a few years ago they dove to the bottom where the wreck is at and retrieved the ships bell. It's pretty amazing and certainly worth the trip.

been there as well. i know someone who has been on the wreck in a mini-sub (national geographic dive). he claims they found a body down there and knew who it was...the family told them to keep him down there. it's my understanding the body was outside the boat under some wreckage and that they put the body back in the ship. he didn't say who it was but it had to be the captain or someone in the wheelhouse at the time of the sinking. the rest of the crew is in the upside down stern that's buried on the mud on the bottom.

i vividly remember that 75 storm (though we lived on lake huron at the time). i don't think people who don't live on the great lakes can truly appreciate how focking wicked the lakes can get in these storms. nasty.

If you ever get the chance, find a good story about the sinking of The Bismark.

The German's built this bad-ass boat, and the British finally found a way to sink it.

Naval warfare is brutal. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.

You just blast the shat out of each other, and the loser goes into the drink.

Not a bad saga. It includes the sinking of the Hood, which I think on the whole is a better sinking.

One hit. BA-BOOM! The pride of the British fleet goes down like a drunken Mexican prize-fighting whoore during Fleet Week, or something. :bench:

Not a bad saga. It includes the sinking of the Hood, which I think on the whole is a better sinking.

One hit. BA-BOOM! The pride of the British fleet goes down like a drunken Mexican prize-fighting whoore during Fleet Week, or something. :bench:

and, also ironically, that was the other thing the bismarck ever did.

the stories of the daniel morrell (lake huron 1966) and the bradley (lake michigan 1958) are also pretty gripping stories if you're into that sort of thing and want to do some research. both wrecks had survivors (or survivor, in the case of the morrell). the survivor of the morrell survived like 36-hours in freezing weather in an inflatable raft wearing nothing but his underwear. his dead friends insulated him from the cold. jesus.

and of course the 1913 storm is its own story--as is the armistic day storm of 1940. hundreds of sailors lost in those two storms all over the great lakes (lake huron claiming the most victims in the 1913 storm). a few years ago, they finally found the wreck of the isaac scott off of thunder bay...it sank in the 1913 storm without a trace and for 80 years no one knew where it was.

if you've lived on the lakes your entire life, those stories and the storms get in your blood a bit. my parents knew kids orphaned by great lakes shipwrecks; my great uncle transferred off the bradley just before it sank. if you're family has lived in michigan for more than few generations there's someone in the tree or a family friend that's been lost on the lakes.

my aunt and uncle retired to paradise, mi about 15 years ago, they were about 5 miles from town and 5 from the point.

They built a big A-style near million dollar home, but recently sold it and moved to florida, switching snowmobiles for golf.

we'd go up there a couple times a year. the museum has certainly had improvements over that time but not without local drama.

The coolest stuff about the area: you could go sit on the beach all day long and not see a single person, great place to deer hunt from,

identifying the freighters on the bay, actually seeing the stars...ALL OF EM, the aurora and even passing satellites, pike fishing,

blueberry festival, going thru mackinaw, etc..

the bad stuff: nasty winter storms, cold and snow up to the roof, took 7 hours to get there.

The Portland, a coastal sidewheel steamer that sank in an early blizzard the Saturday after Thanksgiving, 1898, with 176 souls aboard.

Lots of cool speculation about this one, with no radar and whatnot. Reports of "I saw it here.", and "I heard a whistle there."

Really, once the thing steamed merrily off into the snow, nobody knew what the hell happened except that some wreckage drifted up on the beach around Provincetown. And obviously that the storm kicked the ship's ass.

The Portland, a coastal sidewheel steamer that sank in an early blizzard the Saturday after Thanksgiving, 1898, with 176 souls aboard.

Lots of cool speculation about this one, with no radar and whatnot. Reports of "I saw it here.", and "I heard a whistle there."

Really, once the thing steamed merrily off into the snow, nobody knew what the hell happened except that some wreckage drifted up on the beach around Provincetown.

i remember seeing a special about this one not too long ago. interesting.

i remember seeing a special about this one not too long ago. interesting.

Ladies with parasols just add that certain je ne sais quois to a good shipwreck, don't you agree?

There was a good one with a picnic group taking a boat downriver someplace.

The boat capsized right at the dock with horrid loss of life.

Was it in Pennsylvania?

No, it was the Eastland, 1915, the Chicago River in Chicago. 835 dead. Cripes!

Ladies with parasols just add that certain je ne sais quois to a good shipwreck, don't you agree?

There was a good one with a picnic group taking a boat downriver someplace.

The boat capsized right at the dock with horrid loss of life.

Was it in Pennsylvania?

No, it was the Eastland, 1915, the Chicago River in Chicago. 835 dead. Cripes!

to me that is the most bizarre, improbable, and tragic "shipwreck" of all time.

to me that is the most bizarre, improbable, and tragic "shipwreck" of all time.

Yeah, it'd almost be funny except for the fact that...

Who am I kidding? It's just plain funny. :wall:

Of course it wouldn't seem amusing in the least if my child or friend died.

Some comedian...completely drawing a blank...did a bit on the song years ago

The boat went down

And the people all drowned

And their lungs filled up

with waterrrrr..

It didn't really wreck.

It was all a hoax to write a song

Were you afraid someone was gonna beat you to the punch?

It started its voyage on November 9...

It started its voyage on November 9...

for a 3 hour tour, a 3 hour tour

Some comedian...completely drawing a blank...did a bit on the song years ago

The boat went down

And the people all drowned

And their lungs filled up

with waterrrrr..

Richard Jeni. Funny bit. He was funnier before he killed himself.

How can you not love this song, what's the matter with you people?

I love Gordon Lightfoot. I have 30+ songs of his on my computer/ipod. This is the only one I skip. I do like the story and how he tells it. It's just way too repetitive for me. Verse after verse after verse. There's not even a chorus or bridge to break things up.

• Like 1

The German's built this bad-ass boat, and the British finally found a way to sink it.

Naval warfare is brutal. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.

You just blast the shat out of each other, and the loser goes into the drink.

I love Gordon Lightfoot. I have 30+ songs of his on my computer/ipod. This is the only one I skip. I do like the story and how he tells it. It's just way too repetitive for me. Verse after verse after verse. There's not even a chorus or bridge to break things up.

Odd. I on the other hand couldn't name any another song of his. Granted he was a bit before my time.

Odd. I on the other hand couldn't name any another song of his. Granted he was a bit before my time.

If You Could Read My Mind and Sundown were his biggest hits. You may not recognize the titles, but you've definitely heard them.