Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Who is the best country singer of all time?

best country singer?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. best country singer?

• Garth Brooks
    • George Strait
    • Toby Keith
    • Hank Williams
    • Johnny Cash
    • Waylon Jennings
    • Patsy Cline
    • Randy Travis
    • George Jones
    • other (name if so)

I would actually say Garth Brooks -- though on this list he is likely my least favorite singer. The man basically only recorded 3 full scale Albums -- each one had like 5 #1 hits on it. Last Album he put out was like in 1995 almost 20 years ago yet he is still the most must see Country concert. JMO

If I was going for who I think is the greatest country singer ever -- it's a slam dunk for George Strait and it isn't close. But overall I go Brooks just for what he was able to do with such a limmited library -- he is the Daniel Day Lewis of Country music as in he has done much but what he has done is remembered.

STOP this thread right now. You guys will only embarrass yourselves if you don't unequivocally vote for

GEORGE JONES.

STOP this thread right now. You guys will only embarrass yourselves if you don't unequivocally vote for

GEORGE JONES.

Yeah for pure country...but pure country blows. :wave:

I would actually say Garth Brooks -- though on this list he is likely my least favorite singer. The man basically only recorded 3 full scale Albums -- each one had like 5 #1 hits on it. Last Album he put out was like in 1995 almost 20 years ago yet he is still the most must see Country concert. JMO

If I was going for who I think is the greatest country singer ever -- it's a slam dunk for George Strait and it isn't close. But overall I go Brooks just for what he was able to do with such a limmited library -- he is the Daniel Day Lewis of Country music as in he has done much but what he has done is remembered.

Would agree at this point.

Brooks is a top seller, and a hell of a performer. Just don't think he is as good as Strait.

As far as music I actually like.

Give me Cash all day.

Let's define "singer".

If we are talking pure, authentic, country voice I'd pick Straight or Reba.

If you are talking full entertainment artist given what they did in the time they did it. Garth.

Speaking long, lasting, impact on the genre is easily George Jones.

Underappreciated genius until he was almost or had died... Cash.

J.C. = Best ever

Waylon = Personal favorite

No Merle Haggard = Thread phail

Waylon. Saw him at Lalapoloza after listening to him for years. I've also seen George Jones in concert with the Oak Ridge Boys. Only concert I ever went to where no one smoked the reef.

No Taylor Swift? This poll is flawed!!!!

Honorable mention to Willie...also wrote some big hits for others including Crazy.

Not sure you can include any current artists as almost anyone can hit it big on the country charts in today's music. I watch countless half talented, Idol rejects end up with a top 5 country hit. I guess my vote would go for George Straight. Popular, successful, pure country (not pop or rock), movies, etc.

Not sure you can include any current artists as almost anyone can hit it big on the country charts in today's music. I watch countless half talented, Idol rejects end up with a top 5 country hit. I guess my vote would go for George Straight. Popular, successful, pure country (not pop or rock), movies, etc.

Okay, I'll go with this. Certainly one of the most consistent.

Still, AK and Union Station are probably the best group combined. - Have won tons of awards individually and together.

And, Hootie, Kelly Clarkson and Jessica Simpleton don't get to be in this category - or any other.

The word of the Lord.

Purely on voice...hell yes. Gorgeous voice.

Allison Krauss has the best voice on a female singer I have ever heard- she just doesn't sing many songs I know as most of her stuff is Bluegrass not really country. Hell Whiskey Luluby and When you say nothing at all are the only 2 songs I even know from her.

patsy is far and away the best singer if "carrying a tune" is the point, but nobody likes to listen to a chick sing more than one song (lorrie morgan maybe could sing 3 but that's because she had a voice that could match her body). man, there are a lot of favorites though. waylon had great music, strait is the king of radio since 1980, garth had fun stuff but he came with clint black and alan jackson after randy travis started the new stuff, jones and cash and willie are old school great, ray price was old school and could outsing them all. marty robbins had some great stuff.

Allison Kraus.

She is basically the reason why there hasnt been a Led Zeppelin reunion. Well as much of a reunion as possible.

She is basically the reason why there hasnt been a Led Zeppelin reunion. Well as much of a reunion as possible.

That's why I said F her ....... But really I think RP can not hit his Zeppelin notes and and uses Krauss as an excuse.

In her prime she might of been the hottest country artist ever.

That's all that matters to me :wub:

I like Shania. I don't really know country I just remember the videos she made back in the 80's.