Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

NFL Draft Prospect comes out of the closet

He's been projected as a 4-5 from what I've read. :dunno:

Looks like he'll slide into the 2 hole. Just sayin'

And those who hold the opposing view understand completely your opinion and that you see it as a non-event. And surely in all fairness you understand their seeing it differently and holding it as a historic event.

Right?

Riiight?

Well do you?

:doh:

This.

Do we really have to be subjected to non-stop talk about a guy who is gay? Seriously....who gives a fvck? I'll use the power of the remote and change the channel. ESPN sucks anyway. Liberal, Jew run television. :thumbsdown:

They are using this kid as a guinea pig. They have zero shame. The next step in all of this is to see who they get to trip up when asked about what they think. This story is going to hurt a lot of people on both sides. But who Fawking cares. It's all about ratings and being the first to break these upcoming stories that are inevitable. And one thing you can count on from ESPN, they don't care about who they harm.

They are using this kid as a guinea pig. They have zero shame. The next step in all of this is to see who they get to trip up when asked about what they think. This story is going to hurt a lot of people on both sides. But who Fawking cares. It's all about ratings and being the first to break these upcoming stories that are inevitable. And one thing you can count on from ESPN, they don't care about who they harm.

ESPN are a bunch of hacks.

ESPN are a bunch of hacks.

The others are striving to be bigger hacks. It's the nature of the game.

The others are striving to be bigger hacks. It's the nature of the game.

I want nothing to do with ESPN. They only thing they are good for is Streak for the Cash on espn.com

To all the people that are quick to hate on someone like this announcing it publicly...put yourself in a gay persons shoes for a second.

You have a particular way of life that is generally frowned upon by a lot of people. Whether by choice, genetics, or a combination of both, you are attracted to the same sex.

Every time you go out to a ball game, the mall, grocery shopping, or taking your dog for a walk, you have to keep a part of you hidden from prying eyes and more importantly from rash archaic line of thought. If a man and a woman kiss each other in public, no one bats an eye nor do they rush to judgement. If you kiss your love interest, you become subjected to ridicule, verbal harassment, and potentially violent physical abuse.

So you already know, don't do those things in public. But this is the NFL. Teams already suspected, if not knew, that Sam was gay. In no other profession in America is an employees sexual preference an employers business. Reporters are constantly trying to draw viewers to their webpage and if you don't come out yourself, someone will out you for the chance to get the first scoop. Why wouldn't you control how people call you gay?

By doing this, he creates a positive persona of bravery, courage, trailblazer, etc. If he remains silent, its not a matter of if...but when, the story came out (pardon the pun) stating he's gay...then he enters a world of trouble in a bevy of ways. NFL teammates wonder why he didn't tell them, teams wonder why they didn't tell him, and chances are he's bombarded daily with questions about it forcing him to either refute it and lie, or finally accept it and suffer backlash.

If he doesn't openly do this now...the backlash extends far beyond trolls on internet message boards. Whether you accept it or not, want to hear it or not, or whether you just don't care...doing this now and his own way was the only chance in hell that he maintains a realistic chance to assimilate into the locker room. Period.

To all the people that are quick to hate on someone like this announcing it publicly...put yourself in a gay persons shoes for a second.

You have a particular way of life that is generally frowned upon by a lot of people. Whether by choice, genetics, or a combination of both, you are attracted to the same sex.

Every time you go out to a ball game, the mall, grocery shopping, or taking your dog for a walk, you have to keep a part of you hidden from prying eyes and more importantly from rash archaic line of thought. If a man and a woman kiss each other in public, no one bats an eye nor do they rush to judgement. If you kiss your love interest, you become subjected to ridicule, verbal harassment, and potentially violent physical abuse.

So you already know, don't do those things in public. But this is the NFL. Teams already suspected, if not knew, that Sam was gay. In no other profession in America is an employees sexual preference an employers business. Reporters are constantly trying to draw viewers to their webpage and if you don't come out yourself, someone will out you for the chance to get the first scoop. Why wouldn't you control how people call you gay?

By doing this, he creates a positive persona of bravery, courage, trailblazer, etc. If he remains silent, its not a matter of if...but when, the story came out (pardon the pun) stating he's gay...then he enters a world of trouble in a bevy of ways. NFL teammates wonder why he didn't tell them, teams wonder why they didn't tell him, and chances are he's bombarded daily with questions about it forcing him to either refute it and lie, or finally accept it and suffer backlash.

If he doesn't openly do this now...the backlash extends far beyond trolls on internet message boards. Whether you accept it or not, want to hear it or not, or whether you just don't care...doing this now and his own way was the only chance in hell that he maintains a realistic chance to assimilate into the locker room. Period.

You do not belong here. What you say is well thought out and crafted. Get used to feeling like a genius in a sea of RP idiots.

Total BS. If any post should of been deleted it was Smashmouths.

I didn't call anyone a d1ckhead for having a different opinion like your little buddy Frankie did in the infamous deleted post. I wish mike would've kept it up there because he proved my point that there is a double standard when it comes to being tolerant of people's beliefs. My post turned out to be 100% right. Espn spent all day talking about a guy who clearly was doing this to garner attention. And yes, I think it's garbage. The fact that espn feels it needs to have a political opinion is a joke.

The same thing could have been said when Jackie Robinson was signed. "How is one black player being signed to a team going to stop people in the league and in the stands from being racists and abusing him and being pissed at a black player in a white man's game?" Funny thing, eventually it did change things.

Didn't Phillybear already cover this?

I didn't call anyone a d1ckhead for having a different opinion like your little buddy Frankie did in the infamous deleted post. I wish mike would've kept it up there because he proved my point that there is a double standard when it comes to being tolerant of people's beliefs. My post turned out to be 100% right. Espn spent all day talking about a guy who clearly was doing this to garner attention. And yes, I think it's garbage. The fact that espn feels it needs to have a political opinion is a joke.

You're not a d1ckhead for your bigoted, antiquated opinion. You're a d1ckhead for coming on here expressing that opinion and saying ESPN is shoving "garbage" down your throat, as if someone put the remote in your hand, made you turn the TV on to a NEWS channel, and forced you to watch it, apparently all day.

I honestly don't know how anyone can watch anything other than a ballgame on ESPN, and even those are viewed on "Mute" most often in our household.

Flipping channels last week I came across an episode of TMZ. The delivery varies, but the level of content is no different than ESPN. SPORTSCENTER however still masquerades as a "sports news" source, so the skiggering snarknado mostly skips it's flagship show and is instead relegated to every other freaking thing they put on the air.

Their ESPN News channel that actually carried news 24/7 flipped formats to rerun their chat shows that aired on their other channels and carries ball games. What the hell?

Even though NFL Network is mediocre, I can't imagine flipping over to ESPN on Sunday mornings to hear NFL pregame stuff. It's a bunch of clowns clowning around. The network is in shambles. I haven't watched an evening Sportscenter in maybe a decade now.

Locker rooms are not the same as everyday society. Society has politeness and rules and laws and stuff. Locker rooms are debauchery and filth and brotherhood and banging hookers and drunken brawls and racist taunts. Anything goes in the locker room. Everyday societal norms do not apply in such a testosterone petri dish of modern day warriors. Jonathan Martin is an example of this. Martin was a sissy and didn't have his teammates' backs.

When you choose to put yourself out there as a celebrity, and a college/pro athlete has volunteered to do so, all the skeletons in the closet can come out and hurt your career. It's the well known cost of the pursuit of fame and fortune. So don't ask me to be sympathetic to them. Don't ask, don't tell seems so much simpler across the board, ghey or straight.

Why do we have to complicate our sports with political nonsense? Stop with the sexual orientation, the Rooney rules, the sideline reporting broads, players with political agendas, etc. Just give me pure sports without the crap that comes with it.

Espn spent all day talking about a guy who clearly was doing this to garner attention. And yes, I think it's garbage. The fact that espn feels it needs to have a political opinion is a joke.

Why are you so upset? It isn't like ESPN broke in and interrupted the KKK Winter Games or anything - relax.... It's the close mindedness of you and others that make things like this no-win situations for the Michael Sams of the world. Had he kept it under wraps and then come out, say after the draft, you would of been up in arms crying that this kid violated some kind of man-trust in not coming out sooner. You would of cried that the team that took him would of had 2nd thoughts about it had they known he was gay. But the kid didn't do that. The kid faced the music, stood there like a man, and let all the bigots and closet homophobes take shots at him before the draft actually took place.

This kid did everything perfectly. No one can realistically complain about anything he did. There is a good chance he hurt his draft value. Nothing at all self-serving about that.

Anytime there is a news story that involves homosexuality, it's just a new excuse for the homophobes to spout off and re-shove their antiquated beliefs down everyone's throat. And this thread proves that the Neanderthals will never disappoint.

Saw an interview with an NFL player who said every team he was on had 1-2 gheys who everyone on the team knew about. Never was an issue, and nobody was outed.

Seems to me this is all media hype, not a real issue.

Saw an interview with an NFL player who said every team he was on had 1-2 gheys who everyone on the team knew about. Never was an issue, and nobody was outed.

The fact that this is the first player who's publicly out makes this newsworthy.

So, has Rogers come out yet? :unsure:

He's waiting for Romo

That's what the media is telling you to think.

There is a semblance of truth here. I am hearing this is a big story. I feel like I should feel like this is a big story. Everybody is telling me this is a big story. Yet, I don't care all that much. If the dude can play ball and ends up being a valuable pick then I hope my Panthers draft him, but that is the same feeling I have for any player. :dunno:

No they aren't... He is playing the game as well... He has an entire marketing team built around it

But you draft guys based on talent and character. Guy is a team leader, and has willingly made himself the representative and poster child for gay people. Takes some guts to do that, and you figure the likelihood is very high that he is a hard worker who wants to excel with the burden he is carrying. Compare that to drafting your typical thug who spent years in college and can't read or spell his name... It definitely raises his profile. It will definitely give him more looks. Its a net help to his cause.

They are going to limit the number of deals they do, but with do a shoe deal, and a this deal, and a that deal.....

How many 3-5th round picks have shoe deals?

So if they'd all just shuttup and stay in the closet everything would be fine, right?

A lot of low information posters are easily manipulated by ESPN talking heads.

It's cute how you hear one phrase you don't really understand--"low information voters"--and then use it over and over again in the wrong circumstances. You're like a precocious little child still learning his way in the world :wub:

Out of the closet and into a dark hole :wub:

why are so many afraid someone might not give a fock

new rule ....

you might be an idontgiveafockaphobe if you need to come out publicly, carry a rainbow flag, wear mascara, equate racism with homosexuality, and basically feel your bedroom preferences belong everywhere from kindergarten on up to the workplace.

:lol: ok guys I laughed, now your supposed to, see because im a comedian. So laugh, cus im funny.

So if they'd all just shuttup and stay in the closet everything would be fine, right?

I didn't say anything remotely close to that, dumbass.

Apparently it is already accepted inside NFL locker rooms. Not an issue. Not a surprise you aren't aware of this.

ESPN has ginned it up into a big issue with low information types like you.

Does this news mean that edjr's bored has one less member? :unsure:

Once again the media proves nothing is beneath them to use and abuse.

This is such a non-story.

Once again the media proves nothing is beneath them to use and abuse.

This is such a non-story.

First (likely) NFL player who is publicly known to be gay - not worth talking about at all?

First (likely) NFL player who is publicly known to be gay - not worth talking about at all?

Yes its a story. I think a lot of folks are just saying its going to way over blown, this guy will be made into some cult hero, we will hear about it ad nauseum all throughout the NFL draft. On and on and on. :dunno: