Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

NFL Draft Prospect comes out of the closet

Yep, the timing had nothing to do with potential marketing upside.... LOL...

Had he waited to be a 3-5th round pick that maybe doesn't make the team or is a special teams guy he gets equal amount of buzz...

If his goal was more Twitter followers and some TV interviews, then I suppose he's a marketing genius. But since his draft stock has dropped and he may well have eliminated some possible suitors, his decision has definitely cost him loads of money. Not sure if that's ever the goal of a marketing plan.

If his goal was more Twitter followers and some TV interviews, then I suppose he's a marketing genius. But since his draft stock has dropped and he may well have eliminated some possible suitors, his decision has definitely cost him loads of money. Not sure if that's ever the goal of a marketing plan.

draft stock dropped according the WHO? people that don't actually do any drafting??? I don't buy that at all. If you look at a prospect as a combination of talent, IQ, and character, you know this guy won't be getting arrested for garbage in the offseasons. You can feel more confident that given the load he is shouldering that he'll put in the work to be successful.

I just don't buy it. I think the draft stock stuff just feeds the media.

How much of Russell Wilson's success is attributed towards his character?

draft stock dropped according the WHO? people that don't actually do any drafting??? I don't buy that at all. If you look at a prospect as a combination of talent, IQ, and character, you know this guy won't be getting arrested for garbage in the offseasons. You can feel more confident that given the load he is shouldering that he'll put in the work to be successful.

I just don't buy it. I think the draft stock stuff just feeds the media.

I've heard a lot of football insiders on talk radio, who claimed to have talked to GMs, say that some teams won't want to deal with the inevitable media circus and, unless he drops drastically into their laps, they'll pass.

I've heard a lot of football insiders on talk radio, who claimed to have talked to GMs, say that some teams won't want to deal with the inevitable media circus and, unless he drops drastically into their laps, they'll pass.

Its kind of the definition of a mid round projected pick that they fall into the lap of the team that picks them. Its one of those things you will never be able to actually evaluate, but is there really a big difference between being a 4th or 5th round pick? Still are on the outside looking in in terms of making a roster and getting to contribute on the field.

The reactions in this thread are pretty funny:

This isn't a story because gays in the locker room are a non issue, except that we have no other openly gay players and this guy is selfish for making it all about him.

The media is entirely fabricating this story from a non issue that we've been talking about for 5 pages.

The gays are going to complain is he doesn't get drafted, unless he gets drafted high - then he's a marketing genius who used his orientation to his advantage.

Short of not coming out this guy can't win. :doh:

The reactions in this thread are pretty funny:

This isn't a story because gays in the locker room are a non issue, except that we have no other openly gay players and this guy is selfish for making it all about him.

The media is entirely fabricating this story from a non issue that we've been talking about for 5 pages.

The gays are going to complain is he doesn't get drafted, unless he gets drafted high - then he's a marketing genius who used his orientation to his advantage.

Short of not coming out this guy can't win. :doh:

Show me other mid round draft picks that have marketing deals in place?

It is both a big deal and a non issue.

And i think he's won as compared to not coming out. I think it positively impacts his draft stock. I think its insane that if he gets cut it will be presumed because he is gay. If the guy can play, he will play.

Show me other mid round draft picks that have marketing deals in place?

It is both a big deal and a non issue.

And i think he's won as compared to not coming out. I think it positively impacts his draft stock. I think its insane that if he gets cut it will be presumed because he is gay. If the guy can play, he will play.

Why would it positively impact his draft stock vs scaring teams off? You really think a GM is going to use a prime 3-4 round pick on an inferior player just to look good or something?

If a guy gets cut a small handful of powerless cranks might assume its cause he's gay, so what?

Why would it positively impact his draft stock vs scaring teams off? You really think a GM is going to use a prime 3-4 round pick on an inferior player just to look good or something?

If a guy gets cut a small handful of powerless cranks might assume its cause he's gay, so what?

He won't get over drafted because of it. But it shows strength of character which is an attribute teams care about. Ex. Russell Wilson. He is going to get drafted regardless. SEC defensive POY. He will get looked up.

Over/under drafted by end of the 4th? I'd guess its before then

Gay. Choice.

Black. Not a choice.

Thoughts?

Neither is a choice. when did you choose to be straight?

Gay. Choice.

Black. Not a choice.

Thoughts?

I believe bi-sexuals are so by choice. Homosexuals, least all the ones I know, were born that way.

Gay. Choice.

Black. Not a choice.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you seem to only want to go fishing around here. That's my thought. You're a smart guy, how-a-bout being halfway serious from time to time? :thumbsup:

Gay. Choice.

Black. Not a choice.

Thoughts?

Why do white kids act black? that's a choice, no?

and I do believe some people act gay, not sure they go so far as to take one in the shoot though

Drafted in the 7th by St. Louis. Let me know when the gays start protesting that he should've gone higher and when the Rams locker room revolts.

Watched pretty much all of the draft, didn't hear anything about Sam until he was picked. I actually forgot he was in the draft entirely.

Another forearm repubtard prediction bites the dust. :lol:

Thank you hometown Rams for biting the bullet and heading off the massive gay sh*tstorm backlash that was I was forecasting midway through round 7. I thought when the 49ers didn't take him with their two late 7th picks it was the end. They could have sold a sh*tload of Sam 49er jerseys.

Thank you hometown Rams for biting the bullet and heading off the massive gay sh*tstorm backlash that was I was forecasting midway through round 7. I thought when the 49ers didn't take him with their two late 7th picks it was the end. They could have sold a sh*tload of Sam 49er jerseys.

There will be some disappointed folks when they realize they can't get a rainbow colored 49ers Sam jersey.

Watched pretty much all of the draft, didn't hear anything about Sam until he was picked. I actually forgot he was in the draft entirely.

Really? The NFL Network had at least 2 sessions of "isn't Sam better than these guys already drafted?" (which Mayock easily refuted), and ran their "Michael Sam is a pretty awesome guy" video package at least twice.

One the one hand, I'm shocked Sam fell this far. On the other, as a MSU fan I'm far more familiar with Max Bullough -thought he was a super-stud- and yet he wasn't drafted at all. To me, that's more shocking. But anyways, I see this stuff all the time for dozens of years so I'm more ready for it. To the gay community, that doesn't pay attention to football, upon hearing Sam was projected for the third then going undrafted after announcing he was gay ... Holy hell. It would have been read by them as a clear as day anti-gay conspiracy.

One the one hand, I'm shocked Sam fell this far. On the other, as a MSU fan I'm far more familiar with Max Bullough -thought he was a super-stud- and yet he wasn't drafted at all. To me, that's more shocking. But anyways, I see this stuff all the time for dozens of years so I'm more ready for it. To the gay community, that doesn't pay attention to football, upon hearing Sam was projected for the third than going undrafted after announcing he was gay ... Holy hell. It would have been read by them as a clear as day anti-gay conspiracy.

Pretty much. The LBGT version of Al Sharpton would have been all over that one.

Not going to lie...the video of him on the phone getting selected was touching.

He's going to play his ass off for the Rams. Not sure if he makes the team, but they're going to get his best that's for sure. Not saying that's not the same for most prospects...it's just that Sam should have a bigger chip on his shoulder.

Not going to lie...the video of him on the phone getting selected was touching.

He's going to play his ass off for the Rams. Not sure if he makes the team, but they're going to get his best that's for sure. Not saying that's not the same for most prospects...it's just that Sam should have a bigger chip on his shoulder.

Best case scenario: he earns a spot on the team, we get the short-term spike in media attention, then the media loses interest.

Worst case scenario: people on one side or the other make a giant scene about how he "only made the team because he is gay" or "only got cut because he was gay"

I can't say I like the odds.

Best case scenario: he earns a spot on the team, we get the short-term spike in media attention, then the media loses interest.

Worst case scenario: people on one side or the other make a giant scene about how he "only made the team because he is gay" or "only got cut because he was gay"

I can't say I like the odds.

I think you're getting all worked up over nothing.

I think you're getting all worked up over nothing.

The two dozen calls and text messages to the local sports station in the past hour accusing ESPN and the NFL of conspiring with Michael Sam to have him 'play up his gayness' by 'making out' with his boyfriend on camera when he got drafted suggest otherwise.

The two dozen calls and text messages to the local sports station in the past hour accusing ESPN and the NFL of conspiring with Michael Sam to have him 'play up his gayness' by 'making out' with his boyfriend on camera when he got drafted suggest otherwise.

Again, you're getting all worked up over nothing. If you don't won't to hear garbage then don't listen to talk radio :dunno:

Again, you're getting all worked up over nothing. If you don't won't to hear garbage then don't listen to talk radio :dunno:

I'm not worked up at all. I am calmly discussing what I expect will happen. Personally, I'd rather people stopped caring about the subject and what consenting adults do, just as I'd rather it not be a news story every time someone announces they are gay. The reality is, neither of those things are where we are at as a society so this will be an issue come fall, stupid as it is. People on one side are going to demand extra media attention for him and jump to the conclusion that the NFL or the Rams or whoever are responsible if he fails, just as people on the other side are going to condemn any media attention and (are already) reach the conclusion that the NFL or the Rams or whoever are propagating the story as part of some gay conspiracy.

For what it is worth, the sports radio host wasn't the one making an issue of it. He basically started taking calls on it because the studio was flooded with calls and text by 'outraged' people, much to his surprise and disbelief.

I hear this Player is so excited that he actually practices his 3 point stance in the shower

I hear this Player is so excited that he actually practices his 3 point stance in the shower

"Dude, for the last time. You are not a quarterback."

"Dude, for the last time. You are not a quarterback."

but if he was a quarterback, at the line of scrimmage he'd be screaming Oma HEEEEYY!

but if he was a quarterback, at the line of scrimmage he'd be screaming Oma HEEEEYY!

I would picture it as more of a George Takei "Ohmyyyy".

Speaking of 'scripted'....I turned off the draft early in the 7th round to run an errand. The wife's SUPER christian parents are in town for the weekend. I'm talking borderline cult type church. I get back home and they're all sitting in the living room. I turn the draft back on just in time to see some skinny white dude hugging a crying black dude. I say "Is that his boyfriend comforting him?". Now the whole family is looking at the TV. My wife jokes..."Awwww, he's rubbing his arm."....followed by 'The Kiss'. LMAO....if you could have seen the look on the inlaw's faces as they got up and walked into the kitchen.

Hey ESPN, stop sucking the ghey fags d1ck. Seriously. Shutup and stop making it more than it is.

Speaking of 'scripted'....I turned off the draft early in the 7th round to run an errand. The wife's SUPER christian parents are in town for the weekend. I'm talking borderline cult type church. I get back home and they're all sitting in the living room. I turn the draft back on just in time to see some skinny white dude hugging a crying black dude. I say "Is that his boyfriend comforting him?". Now the whole family is looking at the TV. My wife jokes..."Awwww, he's rubbing his arm."....followed by 'The Kiss'. LMAO....if you could have seen the look on the inlaw's faces as they got up and walked into the kitchen.

It's all worth it just for that :first:

Hey ESPN, stop sucking the ghey fags d1ck. Seriously. Shutup and stop making it more than it is.

You're an ugly person.