Sign in to follow this  
fatguylittlecoat

Favorite Fantasy Player in the 90s ?

No question, mine was Thurman "Thermal" Thomas... as ESPN's Chris Berman called him. The combo of rushing yards, receiving, TD's... he was money... close 2nd was Barry Sanders. We always did auction so the battle to get Barry and Thurman was fierce. One last memory, we were in Chicago one weekend in December, I was playing a guy who had Andre "Bad Moon" Rison and needless to say I was on the short end of that one, I think he had three TD's and over 180 yds on a Saturday afternoon game, good thing I had Rush street to numb the pain. Good times. Post yours, points for originality.

Sanders was the suck in TD only leagues. Which accounted for more than half if them in the 90's. He didn't score many. He was a yardage RB.

Steve Young and Rice were a deadly combo.

Herman Moore WR Lions, Emmitt Smiff, Joe Horn WR Chiefs and the "out of no where" guys Mitchell QB Lions/Miami M Brunnell and of course "NEVER BENCH" Steven Davis ! Added bonus, Fred Taylor...............

• Like 1

I go back even further - the 80's. While I was in college I ran a fantasy league on my dorm floor after reading about one. I had Lynn Dickey of the Packers. That dude was awesome from a fantasy perspective.

1995 1st year to play

Qb Steve Young

Rb Edgar Bennett gbay

Rb Harvey Williams oak

Rb Ricky watters Phil

Wr Herman Moore det

Wr Robert Brooks gb

Wr Tim Brown oak

Best team I have ever had. Lost in Championship game due to Jerry Rice 16-289 4td game. Mon night football vs Vikings

He also had Warren Moon and Jake Reed. Gut punch

Terrell Davis was my favorite player of 90s won me a championship in 97

Randall Cunningham career year with Vikings was honorable mention 4 me. I took him w late draft pick and he just kept throwing those moon ball bombs to Moss.

1995 1st year to play

Qb Steve Young

Rb Edgar Bennett gbay

Rb Harvey Williams oak

Rb Ricky watters Phil

Wr Herman Moore det

Wr Robert Brooks gb

Wr Tim Brown oak

Best team I have ever had. Lost in Championship game due to Jerry Rice 16-289 4td game. Mon night football vs Vikings

Randall Cunningham career year with Vikings was honorable mention 4 me. I took him w late draft pick and he just kept throwing those moon ball bombs to Moss.

This reminds me the year Isaac Bruce, Jerry Rice, Carl Pickens, and Tim Brown were making amazing diving catches with lots of yards and TDs like they were competing.

Not my favorite players, BUT. Back then I was on the RB stud theory side of things, and went RB, RB the first 2 rounds ritually. Now not on purpose, it just always ended up working out this way. I would have Curtis Martin and Corey Dillon year after year. That was just how the drafts would round out for me, and both guys always produced. Safe and solid.

• Like 1

1995 1st year to play

Qb Steve Young

Rb Edgar Bennett gbay

Rb Harvey Williams oak

Rb Ricky watters Phil

Wr Herman Moore det

Wr Robert Brooks gb

Wr Tim Brown oak

I also had TD and Terrell Owens, I was playing in a league with a bunch of Jerry McGuire's so it was sweet victory to win their league !

Rice and Emmit are the correct answers.

I hated Emmitt Smith, I draft with emotion, not my wallet or brain.

Stephen Davis!

+1 for Davis. I remember being faked out one year on him in Washington, but he was solid for a long time, it seemed.

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one, myself included, has mentioned Marshall Faulk yet. I honestly don't think I've seen so many titles won by one player to date.

Although not my top Raider of all time, but one of my favorites to watch cut the turf, and wished he didnt have to end his career early was Napoleon Kaufman.

Although not my top Raider of all time, but one of my favorites to watch cut the turf, and wished he didnt have to end his career early was Napoleon Kaufman.

Oh man. Liked watching him play. He had guts.

• Like 1

Joe Horn. He was money.

Chris Warren, although he cost me a playoff and championship trophy thanks to a -2 for getting dropped for a huge loss on a screen pass.

Joe Horn snuffed out many competitors playoff hopes, I could never draft Chris Warren or Curtis Martin, consistent results were not my thing when I was in my 20's :dunno:

Jerry Rice without question .

I'm surprised no one, myself included, has mentioned Marshall Faulk yet. I honestly don't think I've seen so many titles won by one player to date.

Our league started in 1995. The Faulk owner won back to back years in late 90s. Never won since then.

Faulk was sooooo good. We w ppr too

Mine was Barry, but I'll throw out a couple other names of note: Terrell Davis, Barry Foster, Drew Bledsoe, Ben Coates, Dan Marino.

Early 90's consisted of no internet, how great was it to open up the USA Today on Monday and do the math on your team, scribble up Barry and Marino's points was pure enjoyment.

Barry Sanders didn't score TD and NEVER won anybody a championship. Please stop saying he was a great FF player. You look stupid when you do.

Barry Sanders didn't score TD and NEVER won anybody a championship. Please stop saying he was a great FF player. You look stupid when you do.

Regarding Barry Sanders:

And this was only for the final five years of his career.

Notable Stats:

Finished No. 1 twice before 1995. Also finished in the top 10 in 1995-1998, including a No. 1 overall finish in 1997 with 2,053 rushing yards, 305 receiving yards and 14 total scores.

Hmmmm . . . I would take those statistics out of a RB. Hard to beat Faulk during those years however as the #1 player in Fantasy.

Regarding Barry Sanders:

And this was only for the final five years of his career.

Notable Stats:

Finished No. 1 twice before 1995. Also finished in the top 10 in 1995-1998, including a No. 1 overall finish in 1997 with 2,053 rushing yards, 305 receiving yards and 14 total scores.

Hmmmm . . . I would take those statistics out of a RB. Hard to beat Faulk during those years however as the #1 player in Fantasy.

Barry was a class act too, refused to break Walter Peyton's record while he was on his death bed so he retired instead. Also because the lions didn't want to pay him and he didn't want to play for anyone else. That kind of loyalty doesn't exist anymore.

My first year of fantasy, I had the first pick and Terrell Davis was consensus #1. Took him - torn ACL :doh:

Barry Sanders TD totals: 14, 16, 17, 10, 3, 8, 12, 11,14, 4.

If you don't compare him to Emmitt, that's pretty prolific. 16th all time in TDs. :dunno: