Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

2016 Brazil Summer Olympics Thread

Yeah, she was hot and looked like she would be an angry focker.

Either she takes roids and swims or she turns tricks. :dunno:

So...you are in favor of banning the roids?

The answer to the Olympics is.....NFL Redzone.

No offense, but we had to watch Michael Phelps sit in his hoodie jacket for 30 minutes last night while 2 commentators droned on about something...and another goof shadow boxed in front of Phelps sitting down for 30 minutes so he could get his face on camera.

Redzone would be at 30 places with actual people doing actual sporting events. I don't care if it's shooting and archery and fencing, just entertain us with olympic sports.

ps. the beach volleyball uniforms are still too large. the game has become a serve, set, and hit it back for a point. nobody really cares to watch that.

Agreed that swimming should be changed to something other than what it is. There are just too many similar events.

This is why Spitz and Phelps were able to amass so many medals.

Their accomplishments are great, but they shouldn't be compared to athletes in other sports.

Agreed that swimming should be changed to something other than what it is. There are just too many similar events.

This is why Spitz and Phelps were able to amass so many medals.

Their accomplishments are great, but they shouldn't be compared to athletes in other sports.

It should be several various distances of "get from here to there asap."

Maybe a couple relay events too.

Use whatever damn stroke you think gets you there fastest.

It should be several various distances of "get from here to there asap."

Maybe a couple relay events too.

Use whatever damn stroke you think gets you there fastest.

Jesse Owens > Phelps

I love seeing people in the crowd holding their phone and spinning around recording other people in the crowd holding their phones and spinning around recording other people in the...

Le Douche coming in 4th while Phelps wins Gold was epic. :pointstosky:

Phelps proved to be quite a doosh himself with all that mugging, posing and begging for more adoration.

Phelps proved to be quite a doosh himself with all that mugging, posing and begging for more adoration.

when some south African punk is shadow boxing in your face the day before, you can peacock as much as you want. Especially when you're the greatest Olympian in the history of the world.

when some south African punk is shadow boxing in your face the day before, you can peacock as much as you want. Especially when you're the greatest Olympian in the history of the world.

Sure you can. And I can call you a focking doosh for doing so.

Also, he's far from the greatest Olympian in history. Greatest Olympic swimmer, yes. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, his medal count really isn't comparable to other sports. There are far too many opportunites to meds in swimming vs other sports.

Wrong again creamsicle. 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team.

Also, he's far from the greatest Olympian in history. Greatest Olympic swimmer, yes. But as I mentioned earlier in this thread, his medal count really isn't comparable to other sports. There are far too many opportunites to meds in swimming vs other sports.

Not sure he should be faulted for that though. I mean it's one thing to like I see above the 1980 hockey team... to barely make the Olympics and go on a several game Run one time in the Olympics to Win It and do this three straight Olympics with a massive Target on your back and you still boat race everybody.

Wrong again creamsicle. 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team.

That hockey team was the greatest Olympian ever?

That hockey team was the greatest Olympian ever?

Yup. Every single one of them, including Herb Brooks.

Got tired of watching the chinky broadcast. So I switched my Vpn to a US server so I can watch NBC.

What? Don't you like watching women's weight lifting?

Yup. Every single one of them, including Herb Brooks.

You simply can't equate a team event the same as an individual. Nor should you - each are deserving of their own respective prestige and honor. But no question that hockey team is the greatest Olympiad team in US history, maybe the world.

You simply can't equate a team event the same as an individual. Nor should you - each are deserving of their own respective prestige and honor. But no question that hockey team is the greatest Olympiad team in US history, maybe the world.

Exactly. As an American, the 1980 hockey team was probably the most exciting moment in Olympic history. But there wasn't even one great player on that team. I said that Phelps is the greatest Olympian of all-time. That canm hardly be argued. He's in his fifth Olympic games. Just to stay at Olympic level for that long is unbelievable. And he's not just making a lame farewell appearance. He's still winning golds!

Saying the US Mens team is the greatest Olympian of all-time because of one great moment is like saying David Tyree is the best receiver of all time.

2 DUIs and 21 gold medals.

What says America more than that?

:pointstosky:

So...you are in favor of banning the roids?

I was in favor of banning certain countries. Once again the IOC showed themselves to be utterly corrupt.

What do you do as an athlete when you are presented with a choice of roiding and competing or not roiding and not even being considered? :dunno: It a country problem, not an athlete problem.

Olympic Rugby looks pretty fun. Especially if you're into loosely organized mayhem.

The extra point is cool.

I didn't see one woman make one & the

men seem to hit maybe 50%

US .X. team moving to 3-0 in pool play...

:doublethumbsup:

Our X team?

Guessing von miller is on this team?

Our X team?

Guessing von miller is on this team?

Look closer... It is a period, capital X, period... Two field hockey sticks crossed...

The Swedish women's sand volleyball team wearing full body suit... They should be forced to forfeit their match for that BS. :thumbsdown:

Not sure he should be faulted for that though. I mean it's one thing to like I see above the 1980 hockey team... to barely make the Olympics and go on a several game Run one time in the Olympics to Win It and do this three straight Olympics with a massive Target on your back and you still boat race everybody.

I think he is probably the greatest individual olympian ever. Maybe narrowing it down to one person is impossible, but you can't have the argument without him getting equal attention. My argument isn't based on medal count though. It's just a fact that swimmers have a huge advantage there. So throw that out.

The arguments for Phelps:

• Swimming is an A-List summer olympic sport. The greatest olympian can't be in fencing. It has to be a swimmer, sprinter, or gymnast.
  • He has been the very best in his sport for 4 consecutive olympics. Has anyone else ever accomplished that?
  • The dramatic moments that had us on the edge of our seats. He has those iconic moments in which he wins gold over a hated rival by 1/10000000 of a second.
  • He has had big rivalries. Ian Thorpe early. Lochte has the second most medals ever and they have paralleled. The Le Clos' one here is short lived, but it got us pumped up, and Le Clos' did have the belt before this......
  • This is a long the rivalry thread, but Phelps has that "Don't poke the bear" (as we heard repeatedly this week) aura that guys like MJ, Tiger, and Mayweather had. There is that sense that once he is there and cares, the result is inevitable. And that's always been the coolest thing in sports to me.

Who else do we even consider?

• Jesse Owens is maybe the most important Olympian ever. But it was a one shot deal
  • Carl Lewis 1984 probably equals Phelps 2008 in dominance. But in 1988 Lewis was robbed of his moment by cheating, plus he was cheating as well. And while he still won golds in 92 and 96 (amazing), he was now competing in secondary track events.
  • Usain Bolt: It seems lame to argue that another current guy is the only legit contender for best ever....but if he wins the 100m and 200m again he may be the guy. The 100m is THE glory event of the olympics (summer or winter). 200m may be the 2nd best event. The title "The Fastest Man in the World" is the coolest. Three-peat with no real rumors of cheating in one of the dirtiest sports ever. Plus I don't think I've ever seen anything more electrifying that his 100m in Beijing.

I feel like anyone else mentioned, we are just talking about moments and one offs. Maybe I'm missing someone obvious.

It's not even a contest - Phelps is the greatest individual Olympian ever, in the universe.

• Like 1

It's not even a contest - Phelps is the greatest individual Olympian ever, in the universe.

Tell you what though....this Ledecky girl hangs around a few olympics and she could challenge that.

Shes supposed to win the 800 by like 8 body lengths.

Tell you what though....this Ledecky girl hangs around a few olympics and she could challenge that.

Shes supposed to win the 800 by like 8 body lengths.

I didn't realize she was 6' - damn.

The Swedish women's sand volleyball team wearing full body suit... They should be forced to forfeit their match for that BS. :thumbsdown:

Agreed, that one chick was hot too :cry:

Be interesting if some years down the road, it comes out that he failed a drug test... I wonder if his legacy would get tarnished like Lance Armstrong did or if it would survive because it appears that he isn't a jerk like Armstrong...

Be interesting if some years down the road, it comes out that he failed a drug test... I wonder if his legacy would get tarnished like Lance Armstrong did or if it would survive because it appears that he isn't a jerk like Armstrong...

That's actually a great question. Because both Sports are very much fringe sports that for the most part nobody gives a s*** about until the Olympics or the Tour de France is on and even then it's only in passing.

Feel like Phelps would get more of a pass because of the admiration for that many medals. And most people identify more with the Olympics than they do with the Tour de France so it's hard for people to put in perspective how good Lance was because you don't know the other riders he's compared to for the most part. But the Olympics and they compared to Mark Spitz xcetera that people have watched in the Olympics... it's a very interesting question though. Very nice

Ledecky at it again...

Katie Ledecky cruises into Friday's 800-meter freestyle final with an Olympic record time of 8 minutes, 12.86 seconds - nearly 7 seconds better than anyone else in prelims.