Sign in to follow this  
phillygrrl08

FF burnout

Anyone else feeling this?

I just don't really care so much this year about my teams. Granted, I'm not doing great, but I'm still in it in every league. Wednesday and Friday nights, it's a chore to do FAABs. I don't stay up to see which bid won players. Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games aren't watched anymore; I go to bed early and check the scores the next day. I might watch the game the next day and fast forward through all the freaking commercials. Most of the time I don't go back to watch.

I was so looking forward to this season, and it has been very anti-climatic. The games suck, between the commercials and penalties, there is no momentum in the games. I just don't care about the NFL this year.

I get a small charge out of DFS, but not much.

• Like 1

It's time to retire.

How many great QB's are out there now? Brady, Rodgers and Ben, Luck is meh, Wilson is good but overshadowed by his defense and they run all the time. Brees but his team isn't any good, and a lot of people hate Cam. Not much else.

Someone brought up a great point that stated the Chicago Bears have already been on primetime 5 or 6 times now in the first 8 weeks. That's pathetic. The Bears are crap. No one wants to see them on TNF, SNF, or MNF.

Texans have been on a few times too. Where are all the good matchups?

How many great QB's are out there now? Brady, Rodgers and Ben, Luck is meh, Wilson is good but overshadowed by his defense and they run all the time. Brees but his team isn't any good, and a lot of people hate Cam. Not much else.

Uh, Rodgers sucks.

To OP, you're burnt out because you're having a bad season. Be honest with yourself.

Uh, Rodgers sucks.

To OP, you're burnt out because you're having a bad season. Be honest with yourself.

I think I'm only having fun this year because my most important team is struggling. I have a first place team in another league that honestly I don't care too much about at all, less than I have in previous years.

There's something about this year. Maybe all the committees that coaches are fond of are what I'm just not used to. Watching a game where my main interest is in the players I have, it's different when your 'starting' RB only gets every other series, or your starting WR is matching targets with a WR5 flavor of the week. The extent to which that kind of team management is occurring is much higher these days. And it's very different, and until and unless I adjust, it's less enjoyable from a FF standpoint.

It's funny, I'm sort of feeling the same thing. I'm in 4 leagues, but one is a double header league, so it's like playing in 5. Every week i find myself torn because i need a player to go off, only to find i'm playing him in 1 or 2 other leagues. I don't want to spend the time working the WW/FA bidding, nobody wants to trade, and the injuries are out of control. The product on Thursdays and Mondays and even most Sunday nightshas been horrible. As pointed out we keep getting crappy team after crappy team on prime time games. I have 14 yr old twin sons who were both pretty good football players but have both had concussion issues, so we've pulled them from it. One of their friends tore who was playing significant minutes tore his shoulder up lifting weights. He's got a 1 year recovery and the coaches treat him like he's a leper now, barely talk to him. He ended up quitting because he sees he's less than just a number. I think the hypocrisy of the NFL in particular and the game in general has soured me on it a bit. Then you see sh!t like this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/providence-rhode-island-youth-football-league-kicks-out-team-adult-plays/

It make you think the game has gotten too big and popular for it's own good.

I love my season long league. I've had a litany of injuries and issues, and I'm still in contention. Depth has been HUGE this year!!!

As for DFS, I've had 2 weeks in a row of missing a good cash by less than 1 point. I'm getting a little burned out on it. Hopefully, I can get a couple good cashes and turn things around on that front.

The league is not as good as it used to be. This is the product of NFL becoming a billion dollar "corporate" enterprise. The games are often unwatchable, there is total saturation and the commercials, which they've always had have further muddied my own interest. The play has become totally robotic with seemingly little interest in instincts and improvisation. The product has become lame and the personalities have become sterile and predictable. Coaches are way too damn conservative (loved Jack Del Rio going for the 2 earlier in the season) at the same time the NFL is trying to massage the game to get 45-40 scores...totally contradictory. I don't really watch many games anymore...I coach ice hockey where my son plays and I often miss many games on Sunday and don't miss it at all. I come home catch the highlights and maybe watch some SNF before that totally bores me and I move on. Football was my religion at one time...no longer.

• Like 1

Quit playing in 50 dollar leagues and join a 1,000 dollar money league.

Trust me. Sh!t will change for u. I promise.

It would be good to quit fantasy for a year. Take a year off and let the juices recharge. Then if you still feel the urge join back in.

I still enjoy Fantasy football, but I can't watch the games live. I moved overseas and the Sunday games start Monday midnight for me.

I used to DVR the game and start watching when it was halftime so I could skip commercials .

My enthusiasm for FF started to wane a few years ago. I liked it better when it was more of a cult type thing, never got tired of talking FF with friends/league mates. These days it seems like everyone and their mother is in a league which, to me, takes away from talking about FF. I'm forced to talk FF with so many people (mostly extended family types now that I think about it) that I really just get bored with it. That said, I'm still a fantasy geek.

• Like 1

Quit playing in 50 dollar leagues and join a 1,000 dollar money league.

Trust me. Sh!t will change for u. I promise.

hell yeah...i only play in two high stakes leagues...but 1st place takes around 4-5k in each....there are payouts for 2nd, 3rd and 4th too....plus weekly high score bonuses and 1st half/2nd half high game bonuses

i wouldnt give this up for anything...i love it....

at the same time....i usually feel a bit of relief on monday(even if i have a guy going or my opponent does) because i feel like i can relax and breath for a minute without having to digest a ton of information....its alot to handle/manage even though you might not think so....im processing alot of info throughout the week and constantly reading ....and i still do so on mondays after the week is over....at the same time i can actually chill out for a minute

I've been envolved with fantasy football and sports since the late eighties.

And thou the game on the field has changed and I think over all for the worst I really still Enjoy being envolved in fantasy sports.

League quality does mean a lot.

The better the competition the more I enjoy playing.

I've been envolved with fantasy football and sports since the late eighties.

And thou the game on the field has changed and I think over all for the worst I really still I joy being envolved in fantasy sports.

League quality does mean a lot.

The better the competition the more I enjoy playing.

yep....me too, agree. Been plugging along at this crazy game since 1995. Its maddening.

I currently has 2nd most points out of 12 in league. Record is 3-4

Another guy has 4-3 record with worst points out of 12.

go figure

I've tried to retire last two years...sadly won championship in each. They tell me that I can't go because they want to win back their money so I oblige! It's my last team which I now clown with my bro...will happily walk away if I'm knocked out.

That's the part of this crazy fantasy football I enjoy about the game.

The team with the less points scored can score just enough to win.

And like a team I have in one league.

I've scored the most , but I've always had the most scored against.

Hold on to your hats, folks, and prepare yourselves for a scintillating night of Thursday Night Football!

Jags vs Titans!!!!!

Yawn

I've tried to retire last two years...sadly won championship in each. They tell me that I can't go because they want to win back their money so I oblige! It's my last team which I now clown with my bro...will happily walk away if I'm knocked out.

Honestly, I likely would walk away at least for a while without the keeper league I've been running since 2001. There's an investment there that I like. And again, I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to right a sinking ship in that league this year after finishing last regular season in first. But overall, across leagues, it's less enjoyment.

It happens to me a little bit about this time of the season most years. It's right in the middle of the season and after spending the summer preparing it's been a while.

I get tired of scrounging the waiver wire for scraps and trying to figure out match ups. All that can get old. The playoffs are still a few weeks away and he regular season can drag on.

I still get a kick out of checking my scores on Sundays though. That part only gets old if the team sucks.

Once the playoffs get here though I can smell that championship and get really into it.

Like I said it goes this way most seasons.

If the leagues are competitive I enjoy the whole season.

Two of my leagues aren't H2H leagues.

They are most total points and I enjoy those two leagues the most , and they keep,me more envolved.

Plus they have small benches.

Meh...Been doing this 22+ years.

I'm excited as all hell right now. Main league-2nd place Two dynasty leagues...well not so good

I do understand the "if one isn't doing well" lack of interest, (been there many times) but speaking for myself, this is all I've got to look forward to in life for the near future.

I do understand the "if one isn't doing well" lack of interest, (been there many times) but speaking for myself, this is all I've got to look forward to in life for the near future.

Maybe that's part of it. I've got a sh!t ton going on right now other than FF. It's certainly a smaller percentage of the excitement in my life.

Maybe that's part of it. I've got a sh!t ton going on right now other than FF. It's certainly a smaller percentage of the excitement in my life.

Hopefully it's good stuff that's going on for you :thumbsup:

Hopefully it's good stuff that's going on for you :thumbsup:

Thanks :) It's a little of column A (good fun stuff) little of column B (future job uncertainty stuff). Generally can't complain, because the column B stuff isn't much I can do about. But it's still capturing my interest.

• Like 1

Playing in one competitive higher stakes league is the way to go. You'll be much more invested when you only have one set of players to root for or against.

Playing in one competitive higher stakes league is the way to go. You'll be much more invested when you only have one set of players to root for or against.

I like 2 leagues, and I avoid drafting the same players in both leagues unless a player drops significantly. At least 1 of your teams is hopefully good and keeps you having fun. I used to play more than 2 but it was cumbersome.

My enthusiasm for FF started to wane a few years ago. I liked it better when it was more of a cult type thing, never got tired of talking FF with friends/league mates. These days it seems like everyone and their mother is in a league which, to me, takes away from talking about FF. I'm forced to talk FF with so many people (mostly extended family types now that I think about it) that I really just get bored with it. That said, I'm still a fantasy geek.

Interesting thread. I myself actually folded our 16-year league last season for many of the same reasons that are highlighted here in this thread. Let me rundown what the issues are and why us one time fantasy geeks simply lost interest:

1) The internet: Yeah.... the internet has been great for FF and has also killed it. The online scoring, instant updates, options, etc, etc make it great. The downside is that everyone has acess to the same info and data. There is no more digging to find key info. Everyone is in like 20 leagues now and as soon as they are out of the running in one they tend to stop paying much attention. You can literaly let the "computer" draft for you AND manage your team. Takes the human element out of it. When we were al in ONE league it made that league way more important. It mattered. Dudes cared. Now? You're in 20 leagues so most dont matter. Just the way it is.

2) We stopped getting together to watch games on Sundays like we used to. When we were all younger and kid-free, Sunday was always football day at someones house. Several of us would get together. Food, drinks, partying, etc, etc. Watch games, watch the score ticker, bust some balls, all of that stuff. Then.... life called and people just wanted to stay home instead of head out. Stuff to do, family things come up, too tired, more important items to tend to, etc. Not getting together just made it all less personal then ever. That really hurt it for us.

3) Much more randomness in the NFL and the fantasy player pool is very shallow these days. Its a QB league now. Go-to WRs are very hard to come by. The RB position has become a joke as far as FF is concerned. There are RBs for seemingly every down and situation these days. Sure, ther are a few studs but not nearly as many as there used to be. Its way harder to start a quality team and so much is out of your control. NFL teams used to have a Clear #1 RB, Clear WR's 1 & 2, and a solid TE. Now - its 4-5 random dudes chucked out there in some spread offense. You can thank the Pats for this BS. :). Just takes the fun out of it when its such a crapshoot for talent and the talent pool is so damned thin.

4) Football is harder to watch now. Other threads have highlighted many of the reasons but the bottom line is that the ratings are down and the on-field product is crappier than ever. That also takes some of the incentive out of it. IMO.

Thats all I got.

• Like 1

It never fails,I'll be sitting at the bar and a conversation gets started about FF only to find out the person is in a free yahoo league with co-workers and.......................... :doh:

Seems like some of you are in too many leagues. Which can be fatiguing.

This can also create the old problem of continually rooting for your guy to score enough points for you but not so many that the opponent you're playing that has the same guy, wins.

I just play in 2 leagues, and they are very different formats.

I agree that some non standard formats might be the way to go. For good or bad, the game has changed and FF needs to reflect that.

It has turned into predicting backups and injuries. I think some non-standard formats are the way to go in the future.

I was just thinking today of maybe trying what I'm calling a 7-on-7 league next year. Gotta get the scoring balanced across positions, but the idea is 7 offensive starting spots, any position, and 7 defensive starting spots (IDP), any position. Then a bench of X players.

If I could get the scoring balanced so that no one position is outscoring the others (I don't want it to be a race for QBs, for example), I think that could be a fun format I haven't tried before. 7 Offensive Flexes, 7 Defensive Flexes, no kickers or DEF. Might be a way to prolong my interest.

I saw someone on here promoting something like 10 team 2 QB 1 RB several WR (4?) etc. Seems better for strategy and less dependent on injuries.

My second league is 2 QB, 5 WR, 3 RB. 2 TE, Flex, 2 Def, 2 K and 4 IDP (D, DB, DL, LB)

It initially looked daunting (and like a very long draft) but its become the league everyone loves. You actually get to start some of your sleepers instead of them being on the bench for 90% of the time,

Matchups also tend to be closer than standard format with far fewer blowouts. It also addresses the issue of it being a QBs league by making you reach into the second tier of less reliable QBs for your second QB (and 3rd for byes) and think more about their matchup rather than just use the same guy for 16 weeks.

Anyone else feeling this?

I just don't really care so much this year about my teams. Granted, I'm not doing great, but I'm still in it in every league. Wednesday and Friday nights, it's a chore to do FAABs. I don't stay up to see which bid won players. Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night games aren't watched anymore; I go to bed early and check the scores the next day. I might watch the game the next day and fast forward through all the freaking commercials. Most of the time I don't go back to watch.

I was so looking forward to this season, and it has been very anti-climatic. The games suck, between the commercials and penalties, there is no momentum in the games. I just don't care about the NFL this year.

I get a small charge out of DFS, but not much.

I feel your pain. I had a friend talk me into joining a 2nd league for the 1st time in 10+ years and it made me realize why I down sized to begin with. Its just to much for me to keep up with. Different styles of scoring, waivers, roster size, number of starters, ect.... My brain is already programmed for my league of 20 years and it does not want to learn anything new. Its really taking the joy out of this season.

Hate to say it but I stopped watching the NFL several years ago. I will tune in for my team the Houston Texans, but I usually fall asleep mid 1st quarter and usually wake up to catch the last quarter.

I'm happy with the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys, and my ff team is kicking ass. I rosterbate often.

Man up. Play the rest of the year out. Don't be a quitter. Finish the year out, play hard, alot can happen. Just spend less time doing it. Honestly 10 minutes a day is all that is needed to compete. And as far as Monday and Thursday night games, don't watch. I honestly rarely do anymore, but I'm not going to cry about it.

The league I am in does not use standardized online scoring. I would find that very boring, but I get it that it appealed to the masses. Ours pays out most money to overal points to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Then, a seperate pool of money for H2H Champ and runner up.