Sign in to follow this  
ToadSprocket

Wondering what percentage of GeekClub kids attend College

My oldest Son does not want to go to College. He's not athletic enough nor smart enough to attain a scholarship of any kind but he won't have to secure any loans. His mother and I would handle his tuition. BUT he wants to go to work / earn money right after High School.

His mother wants me to pressure him but I'd rather he decide his own fate.

So I'm 0 for 1 with another kid 3 years away.

I have an 8th grader and a 10th grader. The 10th grader is 50/50 to go to college. He wants to work. He might go to a technical college or he may just venture off into the working world. Not sure what he will be motivated to do.

The 8th grader is probably going to be a college kid, but he is lazy at school and not a stud athlete. I could see him ending up as being a good politician.

If my kid doesn't want to go, I'm going to have a nice chunk of change to withdraw (with penalty) from his 529

Going to be a senior at West Virginia U in the fall. Carrying a 3.8 GPA. Parties like a rock star. The reason for my grays

• Like 2

let him go to work. its different for everyone. even attaining a job after college is 50% who you know. sure, I know people who definitely got their jobs based on their degrees and college accolades but i also know history majors working in finance because their fathers friend got them a job in the company. If he ends up wanting to do something very specific like be a pharmacist or something, he can pursue the education later on.

what he will miss out on is the college experience. potentially living away from home on a college campus, dorm life, balancing parties and school work without supervision, meeting new people, etc. If you want to convince him to go to college right away, I would play that angle because honestly if you don't go within a year or two of graduating high school, you'll miss out on the college experience. 5 years down the road when you're working and trying to go back its going to be night or online classes. You won't be packing up and heading off to your dorm room.

I have one daughter who will start high school next year. She has been excelling to my surprise and for 9th grade has been placed on the advanced/honors track. She definitely wants to go to college and hopefully if she keeps her grades up she can get some sort of scholarship.

My two older ones are both in college (both engineering); youngest will go in two years but probably not engineering.

Our middle one really struggled with what to do; in the end we took her to a 2-day aptitude assessment at a place called Johnson O'Connor. There are 11 of them I think around the country; LA was the closest so we made a little vacation out of it.

http://www.jocrf.org/

Kinda pricey but it really helped to guide her to pursue her technical aptitudes, which is what my wife and I had hoped for.

That being said, college isn't for everyone. Sometimes young people just need to go out in life and find their calling. :cheers:

what he will miss out on is the college experience. potentially living away from home on a college campus, dorm life, balancing parties and school work without supervision, meeting new people, etc. If you want to convince him to go to college right away, I would play that angle because honestly if you don't go within a year or two of graduating high school, you'll miss out on the college experience. 5 years down the road when you're working and trying to go back its going to be night or online classes. You won't be packing up and heading off to your dorm room.

This is a great point. :thumbsup:

I've got 529's set up for both. They both want to go.

If they don't want to go, take them for lunch at Mc Donald's and show them what will happen to their lives if they don't.

Going to be a senior at West Virginia U in the fall. Carrying a 3.8 GPA. Parties like a rock star. The reason for my grays

did Pennsylvania run out of bleach?

also :cheers:

First two (30 & 27) have college degrees.

My 21 year old chose to serve in the Air Force and will have an associates degree at a minimum by the time his first four year term is up (he is up in the air as to whether or not he will re-up).

Last one is a tenth grader who is on the fence of Military vs College. I will be ok with either decision.

you've had sex 4 times :o

My 2 are both currently off to college and both studying bio-chemistry for some strange reason.

First two (30 & 27) have college degrees.

My 21 year old chose to serve in the Air Force and will have an associates degree at a minimum by the time his first four year term is up (he is up in the air as to whether or not he will re-up).

Last one is a tenth grader who is on the fence of Military vs College. I will be ok with either decision.

You're old. :cheers:

You're old. :cheers:

Nah, started young. I was just about 19 when my first son was born.

you've had sex 4 times :o

Two of them are step-kids, technically.

Nah, started young. I was just about 19 when my first son was born.

You're still old. :cheers:

Got one in college now. Fortunate in that she was always a good student and has a full tuition waiver. Hoping the younger one goes too. I was a blue collar guy for a number of years. Made an okay living but going back and finishing my degree was the best decision I ever made.

Grade inflation sucks.

What would you prefer they study?

I don't really care what they study, I just find it odd that they are both studying the same thing. They are very different people ...

Toad, ask your kid what he wants to do, and help direct him towards a trade school so he can get a skill to have, and the amount of trade skill jobs available everywhere is unreal, alot make upper middle class incomes and then some

let him go to work. its different for everyone. even attaining a job after college is 50% who you know. sure, I know people who definitely got their jobs based on their degrees and college accolades but i also know history majors working in finance because their fathers friend got them a job in the company. If he ends up wanting to do something very specific like be a pharmacist or something, he can pursue the education later on.

what he wont miss is liberal studies

what he wont miss is liberal studies

True but I'll never forget those 4 years.

My degree was in general business. After spending some time managing an insurance agency I ended up in a specific audit function with a financial Institution. They didn't care thay I had no accounting degree.

There are a number of lucrative careers that don't even require a college degree as long as you have the personality for it having spent that time in the world of insurance I know that you can go work for an insurance agency and get certified to sell insurance and do pretty well for yourself and it's not all that difficult Financial sales is another perfect example it's a high-stress Cutthroat environment but if you have the stomach for it you can make a really really nice living and most places don't care about your education they train you they just want you to have the right personality to close deals

Two of them are step-kids, technically.

So you had sex twice then

Have a daughter that will graduate high school next year. She's taking medical classes now and plans on being a nurse. Going to college and can't wait. Very proud poppa bunny.

My kid will end up working for his mom's family camp ground. It's a pretty big operation and he will have the chance to get on the job training and paid trade school. So that's what he's doing. Unless he is super smart or can master the knuckle.

I have a 529 setup for my daughter. If she doesn't go right out of HS it's not the end of the world. I took a few years off before deciding college was the route for me. It's never too late to get an education.