Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Florida Shooting

If guns didnt even exist, this lunatic would have built a pressure cooker bomb or poured gas on a full school bus and lit it in fire.

This is the same argument people make for suicide by gun, and it’s just as poor in this case. Guns are a much more efficient and readily available killing tool than the alternatives.

Time for some tom cruise minority report pre-crime stuff

What if I bought a gun and some bullets and planned to kill someone.

I had it all planned out, I was going to wait till they fell asleep. Arrive to their place around 1 am.

Walk up to their window, which I knew was unlocked (Been in the house the day before)

I get to the window, just as I am about to open it, I decide against it and I'm not going through with it.

The next day I get rid of the gun. No harm, no foul, no one knows, no one is hurt.

In our school we have a School Resource Officer. He's a city cop who's job is to be on duty during school days and is armed. Why is this such a difficult thing to accomplish in other districts?

Money

Not sure that you explained it well, but I do think that some pull this narrative out that the guns are not the problem. Well, easy access to guns by people who should not have them is a problem.

Your #1 I think touches on that, but the last sentence is not really true. If there were no guns that were easily accessible, then assuming that he would have found another method is not true. He might have not been able to build that bomb or it would have taken him longer to make it happen, increasing the opportunity to be caught, etc.

Until we are ready to seriously enact "gun control. Not banning guns but common sense gun laws that are actually enforced." as you say, then we will still be sitting here mourning the loss of innocent people. Let me know when someone in the NRA is willing to discuss instead of "pry it from my cold dead hands". Let me know when the lefties don't want to start with full gun bans.

This. Except I don’t think most “lefties” want a complete gun ban. And most gun owners probably don’t object to greater regulation either.

As is often the case, those at the fringes of the debate impede the majority from pursuing meaningful change.

This. Except I don’t think most “lefties” want a complete gun ban. And most gun owners probably don’t object to greater regulation either.

As is often the case, those at the fringes of the debate impede the majority from pursuing meaningful change.

100% true

T's & P's to the families. Couldn't imagine, have a 15 year old freshman. This stuff scares that crap out of me..

I don't know how you guys have the stamina to debate this topic over and over every few weeks. It's been debated for years around here, neither side seems to be changing their mind.

I dont want a gun ban. I think its worth asking whether semi automatic military type weapons like the AR-15 should be widely available. Without that type of weapons n maybe we are looking at 7-8 dead instead of 17.

• Like 1

Money

Please. You can't take a few cops off the street, train them and stick them in schools? What's more important, speeding tickets or our children's safety?

Please. You can't take a few cops off the street, train them and stick them in schools? What's more important, speeding tickets or our children's safety?

Some of the counties just don't have the money to do something like this...

When and what type of action?

This is the dilemma. We had the ultimate "we all knew he was psycho" in Arizona with Jared Loughner, the guy who shot Gabby Giffords. But what do you do? Decide that if someone creeps you out, you can take away their rights? I honestly don't know. :dunno:

Some of the counties just don't have the money to do something like this...

I'm in rural northern Minnesota, if we can find the money so can others.

AMEN

I drove 60 miles last week along RT 81 in NY and saw 4 state troopers in turn outs in that stretch averaging 100K a year to play traffic cop and writing tickets for 68 in a 55

it is about shifting priorities

This is the dilemma. We had the ultimate "we all knew he was psycho" in Arizona with Jared Loughner, the guy who shot Gabby Giffords. But what do you do? Decide that if someone creeps you out, you can take away their rights? I honestly don't know. :dunno:

Yep, yet it’s the people who want gun control who are the nazis.

I agree with you. My point is that if most people agree that something needs to be done, why are we letting the fringe lunatics prevent action? It happens with plenty of other things and it prevents true change from happening. Instead of focusing on where our differences are, let's focus on what we agree on and see if that takes it far enough to get better.

My guess is that you will get people in the room and there will be significant conflict and no change will happen. No one is willing to give in on anything as part of compromise.

There are about 30 gun homicides per day in the US and we can barely police our own streets. Seems to me that putting a retired cop in every classroom to prevent mass shootings, which are far less common than routine gun violence, is not the more efficient use of tax $.

I agree with you. My point is that if most people agree that something needs to be done, why are we letting the fringe lunatics prevent action? It happens with plenty of other things and it prevents true change from happening. Instead of focusing on where our differences are, let's focus on what we agree on and see if that takes it far enough to get better.

Because the middle ground is not what gets eyeballs on TV's and clicks on social media sites

In our school we have a School Resource Officer. He's a city cop who's job is to be on duty during school days and is armed. Why is this such a difficult thing to accomplish in other districts?

It's just money.

I grew up in an upper middle class school district, and my high school had an armed officer working full time. But there wasn't one in my elementary school, intermediate school, or middle school. I assume the same of the 5 other elementary schools and 2 other middle schools. Just assuming it's a $50K a year job (that's very conservative), it's the difference in the district budget of spending $50K vs $550K a year. Even in comfortable districts, that's a HUGE chunk of change for a school district's budget.

There are about 30 gun homicides per day in the US and we can barely police our own streets. Seems to me that putting a retired cop in every classroom to prevent mass shootings, which are far less common than routine gun violence, is not the more efficient use of tax $.

18 school shootings in 2018

Because the middle ground is not what gets eyeballs on TV's and clicks on social media sites

I don't buy that. What if, we had bi-partisan support for greater enforcement of existing gun laws along with some tweaks to those laws? Nothing major as far as change goes, but both sides agree. You would have all MSM and all the rags claiming some sort of victory. It would be covered.

What if I bought a gun and some bullets and planned to kill someone.

I had it all planned out, I was going to wait till they fell asleep. Arrive to their place around 1 am.

Walk up to their window, which I knew was unlocked (Been in the house the day before)

I get to the window, just as I am about to open it, I decide against it and I'm not going through with it.

The next day I get rid of the gun. No harm, no foul, no one knows, no one is hurt.

Agatha would have seen a future in which the window was locked, and correctly not sent a red ball with your name on it. You'd only be at risk if both of the other precogs saw the window latch incorrectly, but the odds of that are low. I mean, you saw the film, right?

• Like 1

18 school shootings in 2018

I have eight and most of those werent mass shootings. :dunno:

How about banning all automatic / semi automatic weapons and holding gun owners criminally accountable if their legally owned weapons are used in a crime?

My guess is that you will get people in the room and there will be significant conflict and no change will happen. No one is willing to give in on anything as part of compromise.

Because the fringe is much more passionate about their cause, willing to commit time and $ to prevent the politicians from doing anything. Also, the solution isn’t simple.

I dont want a gun ban. I think its worth asking whether semi automatic military type weapons like the AR-15 should be widely available. Without that type of weapons n maybe we are looking at 7-8 dead instead of 17.

An AR15 is no more deadly than any other semi automatic rifle, its just plastic parts. Weve been through this before. Same amount would be dead with a standard deer rifle

Because the fringe is much more passionate about their cause, willing to commit time and $ to prevent the politicians from doing anything. Also, the solution isn’t simple.

Well, I would think that, if we really had such a high % of people wanting some change instead of seeing these shootings happen, then we could get past the fringe people and their money. If not, then we need to take our entire system and throw it out.

I am not looking for a solution. I am looking for incremental improvements. We can't let perfect get in the way of good.

An AR15 is no more deadly than any other semi automatic rifle, its just plastic parts. Weve been through this before. Same amount would be dead with a standard deer rifle

Odd that these shooters all seem to use the AR15. We should ban all semi automatic weapons just to be safe.

Enforce the laws we have, and allow bullying again. Let people deal with the situation instead of avoiding it until they snap.

Well, I would think that, if we really had such a high % of people wanting some change instead of seeing these shootings happen, then we could get past the fringe people and their money. If not, then we need to take our entire system and throw it out.

I am not looking for a solution. I am looking for incremental improvements. We can't let perfect get in the way of good.

I agree, but are you willing to put your time and money towards this cause?

I agree, but are you willing to put your time and money towards this cause?

Well, I would think that the people that we elected as representatives have both the time and the money (funding) to make it happen. All we need to do is make our voice loud enough that they get off their ass and address it. Do you need me to do this all by myself?

While he is correct and I like that he will go there, this one was less poignant and well written than his take on players kneeling during then anthem.

I have a Love/Hate relationship with Dale...... Sometimes he's dead on, sometimes I want to strangle him.

He's by far the highest paid media person in the area - and it's not even close.

Whats your point?

Just wondering if you feel all the ones I posted should be banned.