Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Florida Shooting

Just wondering if you feel all the ones I posted should be banned.

Without knowing which ones are semi automatic or automatic I dont know.

they all are

it is a silly little game... I mean we cant even get things like bump stocks made illegal

An AR15 is no more deadly than any other semi automatic rifle, its just plastic parts. Weve been through this before. Same amount would be dead with a standard deer rifle

I've tried this argument many times here before. Logic should work, but it doesn't :(

Re: Schools getting cops. I think most schools already have security and/or cops on site. The problem is schools are big places and the security/cops can't be everywhere at once. We had security at my high school back in the 80's. So, don't think that is the answer.

18 school shootings in 2018

https://www.dailywire.com/node/27165#

In the wake of the horrific school shooting on Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in South Florida, various news outlets, seemingly trying to convince the public that an astronomical number of school shootings have occurred in 2018, promulgated the claim that the Wednesday shooting was the 18th school shooting since January 1, 2018, by running with that narrative at the top of their articles.

Here are some examples:

ABC News: “There have been 18 school shootings in the first 45 days of 2018, according to a nonprofit group.”

New York Daily News: “There have been 18 school shootings so far this year, including one that claimed 17 lives at a Florida public school Wednesday.”

WUSA9: “Within the first couple months of 2018, there have now been 18 school shootings across the United States.”

But that narrative was gleaned from the anti-gun group Everytown for Gun Safety. Here are some facts, in order to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the facts:

Twice, someone shot themselves on school grounds; one incident, on January 3, featured a man shooting himself in a former school’s parking lot; on January 10 a teen killed himself in an Arizona elementary school bathroom.

Four times, a bullet was fired through a school or dorm’s window: on January 4, a gunshot was fired at a high school in Seattle through an office window; no one was hurt. On January 10, a shot was fired shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported. The same day, in Texas, a bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured. On January 15, a bullet traveled through a residential hall’s dorm room. No injuries were reported.

On January 25, a Mobile, Alabama, high school student fired a gun on campus. No one was injured. On January 26, in Dearborn, Michigan, shots were fired from a car in a parking lot; no injuries were reported.

On February 5, in Maplewood, Minnesota, a third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun. No one was injured. On February 8, in New York, a shot was fired inside Metropolitan High School. No one was injured.

Here are the cases where someone was injured other than the shooter:

January 22, Italy, Texas: a teenage girl was wounded by shots from a semi-automatic handgun. The same day, in Gentilly, Louisiana, a 14-year-old boy was injured in a shooting. February 1, Los Angeles, California: five children were injured in an accidental shooting. February 5, Maryland: a teenager was shot and injured outside of a high school.

The fatalities:

January 20, Winston-Salem, North Carolina: A football player was shot and killed. January 23, Benton, Kentucky: Two people were killed and another 15 were shot at Marshall County High School. January 31, a fight broke out at a Pennsylvania high school; a 32-year-old man was shot and later died.

So of the 17 “school shootings” before Wednesday’s shooting; three students died; roughly 30-35 were injured.

Those numbers are still more than zero, which is what we would all hope for, but the efforts to paint the latest shooting, which was truly horrible, as a another in a series of mass shootings compressed so closely in time is simply not an accurate reflection of reality.

Re: Schools getting cops. I think most schools already have security and/or cops on site. I do not think this is true MOST schools have police present

The problem is schools are big places and the security/cops can't be everywhere at once. very true

Yours is a logical viewpoint......but I'm of the opinion that we should base our opinions of guns solely on looks. Example, fully automatic weapons that look like Billy the Kid's six shooter should be legal, but cap guns that look like Uzis should be banned....and frankly I think we can both agree, I should be the one debating with NorthernVike instead of you.

18 school shootings in 2018

https://www.dailywire.com/node/27165#

In the wake of the horrific school shooting on Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in South Florida, various news outlets, seemingly trying to convince the public that an astronomical number of school shootings have occurred in 2018, promulgated the claim that the Wednesday shooting was the 18th school shooting since January 1, 2018, by running with that narrative at the top of their articles.

Here are some examples:

ABC News: “There have been 18 school shootings in the first 45 days of 2018, according to a nonprofit group.”

New York Daily News: “There have been 18 school shootings so far this year, including one that claimed 17 lives at a Florida public school Wednesday.”

WUSA9: “Within the first couple months of 2018, there have now been 18 school shootings across the United States.”

But that narrative was gleaned from the anti-gun group Everytown for Gun Safety. Here are some facts, in order to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to the facts:

Twice, someone shot themselves on school grounds; one incident, on January 3, featured a man shooting himself in a former school’s parking lot; on January 10 a teen killed himself in an Arizona elementary school bathroom.

Four times, a bullet was fired through a school or dorm’s window: on January 4, a gunshot was fired at a high school in Seattle through an office window; no one was hurt. On January 10, a shot was fired shattering a California State University classroom window. No injuries were reported. The same day, in Texas, a bullet was accidentally fired through a classroom wall at the Grayson College Criminal Justice Center. No one was injured. On January 15, a bullet traveled through a residential hall’s dorm room. No injuries were reported.

On January 25, a Mobile, Alabama, high school student fired a gun on campus. No one was injured. On January 26, in Dearborn, Michigan, shots were fired from a car in a parking lot; no injuries were reported.

On February 5, in Maplewood, Minnesota, a third-grader pulled the trigger on a cop's gun. No one was injured. On February 8, in New York, a shot was fired inside Metropolitan High School. No one was injured.

Here are the cases where someone was injured other than the shooter:

January 22, Italy, Texas: a teenage girl was wounded by shots from a semi-automatic handgun. The same day, in Gentilly, Louisiana, a 14-year-old boy was injured in a shooting. February 1, Los Angeles, California: five children were injured in an accidental shooting. February 5, Maryland: a teenager was shot and injured outside of a high school.

The fatalities:

January 20, Winston-Salem, North Carolina: A football player was shot and killed. January 23, Benton, Kentucky: Two people were killed and another 15 were shot at Marshall County High School. January 31, a fight broke out at a Pennsylvania high school; a 32-year-old man was shot and later died.

So of the 17 “school shootings” before Wednesday’s shooting; three students died; roughly 30-35 were injured.

Those numbers are still more than zero, which is what we would all hope for, but the efforts to paint the latest shooting, which was truly horrible, as a another in a series of mass shootings compressed so closely in time is simply not an accurate reflection of reality.

so what you are getting at is that list isnt enough to change anything yet

Enforce the laws we have, and allow bullying again. Let people deal with the situation instead of avoiding it until they snap.

Yep. Little Johnny is taught life is fair. Someone will always be there to make it fair and pick him up when he falls or make the mean kid not say mean things. (a certain group taught him this)

Then, when real life happens, and he realizes that life isn't all glow sticks, balloons and unicorns, he says "Fock dat sh$t" then decides he is taking it out on those that "wronged" him....and voila....then a shooting happens.

Then a "certain group", calls even more for people to be extra super duper nice, with even more hugs, thank you's, I love you's, and unicorns. But...the process repeats, even though they think they are helping and preventing.

• Like 1

so what you are getting at is that list isnt enough to change anything yet

If it means taking away a constitutional right, then no...

They all meet the definition of a semi automatic weapon.

Well, I would think that the people that we elected as representatives have both the time and the money (funding) to make it happen. All we need to do is make our voice loud enough that they get off their ass and address it. Do you need me to do this all by myself?

Of course not. But the BLS’ of the world are louder and better funded at this point.

If it means taking away a constitutional right, then no...

nobody said anything about taking away the right

Yours is a logical viewpoint......but I'm of the opinion that we should base our opinions of guns solely on looks. Example, fully automatic weapons that look like Billy the Kid's six shooter should be legal, but cap guns that look like Uzis should be banned....and frankly I think we can both agree, I should be the one debating with NorthernVike instead of you.

I'm hoping you miss typed that.

The only point I'm trying to make is that when people address gun control with a wide brush "ban all semi automatic weapons" that they don't even know what weapons they want banned.

They all meet the definition of a semi automatic weapon.

Then, ban them all. What do I win?

The only point I'm trying to make is that when people address gun control with a wide brush "ban all semi automatic weapons" that they don't even know what weapons they want banned.

I always love when they say this is an AR 15, AR means assault rifle... No it doesnt.. and just because of plastic hand guards people are terrified of it. They need to eduacate themselves on what theyre talking about.

I am not entirely sure what a pipe bomb looks like but I would like then to be illegal too.

I am not entirely sure what a pipe bomb looks like but I would like then to be illegal too.

They are genius.

I always love when they say this is an AR 15, AR means assault rifle... No it doesnt.. and just because of plastic hand guards people are terrified of it. They need to eduacate themselves on what theyre talking about.

One would think they would figure it out some day, but nope.

One would think they would figure it out some day, but nope.

"They" don't care. The end game is to ban as many guns as possible, so for every iteration of the ban being accurate doesn't matter. If it overshoots the current targeted guns so what. "They" were going to get to whatever guns weren't intended to be included in the ban at some point anyways. And then "they" wonder why there is so much pushback against "reasonable" gun control.

In our school we have a School Resource Officer. He's a city cop who's job is to be on duty during school days and is armed. Why is this such a difficult thing to accomplish in other districts?

There were armed officers at this school.

When and what type of action?

Appropriate. This kid wasn't hiding his intentions and had a history of violence. Should be good enough for a warrant.

Most modern guns are semi automatic, correct?

I think most people mean weapons that can fire a lot of rounds rapidly, without reloading. What is a lot? It’s arbitrary, of course, but I’ll say anything more than would be required for hunting or home protection. Somewhere between 6 and 10 bullets should be enough for these purposes, right?

"They" don't care. The end game is to ban as many guns as possible, so for every iteration of the ban being accurate doesn't matter. If it overshoots the current targeted guns so what. "They" were going to get to whatever guns weren't intended to be included in the ban at some point anyways. And then "they" wonder why there is so much pushback against "reasonable" gun control.

You seem to be jumping to conclusions and painting an entire side of a debate by what you consider to be it's worst examples. But of course, I guess that sort of thinking makes it easy to avoid real discussion.

You seem to be jumping to conclusions and painting an entire side of a debate by what you consider to be it's worst examples. But of course, I guess that sort of thinking makes it easy to avoid real discussion.

Then why do the gun control advocates continually mischaracterize the guns they want to ban and define them in overly broad terms that would lead to way more guns being banned than intended?

Absolutely inaccurate. This type of hysterical sentiment prevent anything from happening.

Most modern guns are semi automatic, correct?

I think most people mean weapons that can fire a lot of rounds rapidly, without reloading. What is a lot? It’s arbitrary, of course, but I’ll say anything more than would be required for hunting or home protection. Somewhere between 6 and 10 bullets should be enough for these purposes, right?

How big were this kids magazines?

Appropriate. This kid wasn't hiding his intentions and had a history of violence. Should be good enough for a warrant.

So you’d arrest him for what crime? Institutionalize him?

Absolutely inaccurate. This type of hysterical sentiment prevent anything from happening.

You know what else does? Including suicides by guns in any discussion about gun control. So you'll excuse me if I pretty much ignore anything you have to say on the subject.

I think, given the evidence we now know exists, it would have been more than appropriate for a court of law to deem him inappropriate to own a gun. Then he wouldn't have been able to LEGALLY purchase the weapon he used to kill 17 people. Of course, that would require law enforcement, who had been made aware of him, to get off their asses and do their job.

What, exactly, do you think gun control looks like. It looks like going into someone's house and taking their guns. Arresting and institutionalizing are separate issues.

What, exactly, do you think gun control looks like. It looks like going into someone's house and taking their guns.

here we go with the hyperbole

How big were this kids magazines?

Probably at least 15 rounds, though AR 15s are easily modified to accommodate up to 100 round magazines, one reason gun nuts and mass murderers like them.

You know what else does? Including suicides by guns in any discussion about gun control. So you'll excuse me if I pretty much ignore anything you have to say on the subject.

Bullsh!t. But I didn’t say a word about suicides in this thread, yet you conveniently ignore questions you don’t want to answer.