Sign in to follow this  
Dragan187

Any of u ever think about leaving the U.S. when u retire?

I'm pretty healthy for a guy at the age of 50. I do bloodwork twice a year and since I never meet my deductible I usually pay $430 a pop each time I go. (Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance) There's a good chance the older I get, the more focked up my health is gonna be. I see and hear about the struggles of old focks around here and med costs. As I start thinking about retiring in the next 10 years, I'm wondering if I need to be thinking about living in  Messico or Canada for healthcare alone. To me, it makes sense. Somebody talk me out of it. 

Europe, Mexico, Caribbean 

1 minute ago, kutulu said:

Have you consider the Dominican Republic? 

Yeah and Ecuador as well. But I'm kind of a puss and want to stay in North America.

The only place I'm seriously considering is Ireland.  Killarney to be specific.

Panzhihua, China.... the weather is great, the health care is cheap, the girls are thin/beautiful/feminine  and we have less pollution than most of the rest of China

17 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Europe, Mexico, Caribbean 

Key Largo, Montego 

1 minute ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

It's a great idea man. Pension or SS checks go a lot further in the third world. 

Thank god I didn't plan my retirement to retire on SS or a pension alone.

Targeting Italy and Spain for now, scoping out Lisbon as well. It might be tough because of grandkids and stuff, but the direction the US is taking is just not a place I want to be.....

New Zealand.   Looks absolutely beautiful.  This last incident not withstanding, I'd still love to retire out there

Norway... since I’m over 50% Norwegian I heard it’s pretty easy to get citizenship. If we keep importing scumbags it might be something I consider when I’m older. 

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

New Zealand.   Looks absolutely beautiful.  This last incident not withstanding, I'd still love to retire out there

Australia/New Zealand are definitely tempting.  :thumbsup:

I'm never leaving he US again. I hate when foreigners come here so I'm not going other places and pissing them off. 

3 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Norway... since I’m over 50% Norwegian I heard it’s pretty easy to get citizenship. If we keep importing scumbags it might be something I consider when I’m older. 

What's your plan be if Norway stops importing scumbags? Or am I reading that wrong? 

24 minutes ago, frank said:

Key Largo, Montego 

I like the keys.  Maybe jamaica, but not mo bay.

but i keep hearing about a place called kokomo

if I did early withdrawal from my 401k and emptied my savings and planned on not paying the penalty taxes and never coming back, I could easily move somewhere, but where? 

6 minutes ago, Lil' Webtoed Porkbutt said:

What's your plan be if Norway stops importing scumbags? Or am I reading that wrong? 

I meant the US... Norway is pretty homogenous, which I like 

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

if I did early withdrawal from my 401k and emptied my savings and planned on not paying the penalty taxes and never coming back, I could easily move somewhere, but where? 

Arkansas? Detroit? 

😛

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

This should be it's own thread. 😁

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

Arkansas? Detroit? 

😛

Could buy a whole street in Detroit for like a buck 25

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

Could buy a whole street in Detroit for like a buck 25

Are you playing RL monopoly?  You already own a couple of corners :banana:

13 minutes ago, edjr said:

I've seen rocky mountains and great lakes
Stood beneath a redwood tree
But wherever I go my heart aches
For a place called Tennessee

Oh come with me
Where the Whiskey flows like wine
And the meth labs are divine
Oh I wanna be
Where the sweet tobacco grows
And is picked by poor negros
In Tennessee

Oh it's a place where dueling banjos play
And the mountain folk run free
Where all the children can spell kkk
But cannot spell Tennessee

Oh come with me
Where every cheek is filled with chew
And everyone's never seen a Jew
Oh I wanna be
Where the hotdogs are deep friend
That's the reason Elvis died
In Tennessee

Oh come with me
Where the backstreet preachers shout
That if your gay you best get out
Oh I wanna be
Where hospitality is a thing
Just ask Martin Luther King
Shot in Tennessee

The birth place of Aretha queen of soul
BB king and Al Gore
I'm not saying it's a $hithole
But they don't live there anymore

Oh I wanna see
Mountain dew in every cup
And all the dentists just gave up
Oh come with me
On my flat bed pickup truck
That's were the classy ladies fock
In Tennessee

Oh in Tennessee

I am for sure. Read a story a couple weeks back on a list of countries where you could retire with 100K and was absolutely intrigued by some of the options overseas.

For those that want to leave the US because it's getting so bad here, what specifically is better about the places you mentioned moving to? 

For me, I like the idea of Europe because there are just so many different cultures and so much history to see.

1 hour ago, kutulu said:

Have you consider the Dominican Republic? 

On the bright side, you will probably have more money than you will ever spend.   :cheers:

1 minute ago, BiPolarBear said:

On the bright side, you will probably have more money than you will ever spend.   :cheers:

The drinks are killer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragan187 said:

I'm pretty healthy for a guy at the age of 50. I do bloodwork twice a year and since I never meet my deductible I usually pay $430 a pop each time I go. (Blue Cross/Blue Shield insurance) There's a good chance the older I get, the more focked up my health is gonna be. I see and hear about the struggles of old focks around here and med costs. As I start thinking about retiring in the next 10 years, I'm wondering if I need to be thinking about living in  Messico or Canada for healthcare alone. To me, it makes sense. Somebody talk me out of it. 

After sitting at MD Anderson for 9 hours yesterday surrounded by people from countries with socialized medicine not a chance.  Buy supplemental insurance now.  My parents did this when they retired at 52.  They are currently 72 and have no issues paying their medical bills.  I'll add my mom has been through breast cancer and my dad had a severe stroke during that time period.   

6 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

For those that want to leave the US because it's getting so bad here, what specifically is better about the places you mentioned moving to? 

For me, I like the idea of Europe because there are just so many different cultures and so much history to see.

Multiculturalism 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I never said it was bad, just costly. If u get "the cancer" then say goodbye to half ur 401k. These 3rd world countries are cheap to live in. (22k a year) 

Just now, Dragan187 said:

I never said it was bad, just costly. If u get "the cancer" then say goodbye to half ur 401k. These 3rd world countries are cheap to live in. (22k a year) 

Not if you plan properly.  

Not Greek, but always thought that would be a great place to settle.  The Island of Corfu has intrigued me.  Wife said no.  She is too American. Could never leave.

23 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Not Greek, but always thought that would be a great place to settle.  The Island of Corfu has intrigued me.  Wife said no.  She is too American. Could never leave.

Yeah, maybe, I am not all that impressed within any place I ever found in Greece....

The only,places I’d want to go are even more wildly expensive than where I already live. Sweden, Holland etc. I’d be down for places in the UK as well. 

Im convinced that outside the USA there’s a direct correlation between cost of living and amount of dark skinned people in a region. You pay the price to not having to deal with as many darkies or they are just so terrible they drive down the price of anywhere they go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

The only,places I’d want to go are even more wildly expensive than where I already live. Sweden, Holland etc. I’d be down for places in the UK as well. 

I think Ireland is pretty cheap. 

30 minutes ago, fricker66 said:

I doubt my wife would go anywhere exotic.

Wanna bet? :banana: