Sign in to follow this  
edjr

20 k drop in pay for 7 am to 2 pm hours?

I work 8 to 5 right now.  Have the chance to interview for a job that is the same, but 7 am to 2 pm, both in Boston.

getting home at 3 vs getting home at 6

Just now, Strike said:

Congrats? 

would you do it, douche?

I get this kind of thing most often from millennial.....they prioritize quality of life over professional pursuit.

Then you have a company like Amazon that pays a max income of 160k, and then you negotiate for stock options to get up where you want to be....

Depends on what you are currently making.  If you're making 200k, then yes, no doubt.  If you're making 80k, not so much.

Just now, Reality said:

Depends on what you are currently making.  If you're making 200k, then yes, no doubt.  If you're making 80k, not so much.

This

Just now, RLLD said:

I get this kind of thing most often from millennial.....they prioritize quality of life over professional pursuit.

Then you have a company like Amazon that pays a max income of 160k, and then you negotiate for stock options to get up where you want to be....

I would save 400 a month being able to pick my son up at school. Have to have him in after school program too.

1 minute ago, Reality said:

More than 80, less than 100, I have rental property as well. we don't rely on income alone.

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

More than 80, less than 100, I have rental property as well. we don't rely on income alone.

Definitely something to ponder with the savings on child care, that doesn't last forever though, few years and you won't need the child care.  Don't think I could take less $$ but, I get where you are coming from on this one.  You could apply, be a stud at the interview, and negotiate it up?

9 minutes ago, edjr said:

would you do it, douche?

Absolutely but I'm in a different position than you.  I'm considering going in to semi retirement and/or looking for a job closer to home.  More than willing to take a cut in pay to get rid of my commute. 

$480k per year with better hours vs $500k per year and crappy hours?

Take the better schedule. 

1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

$480k per year with better hours vs $500k per year and crappy hours?

Take the better schedule. 

Agreed.  I think your numbers are low, but better to be conservative.  :thumbsup:

You're working 20%ish less hours, probably saving a bit more in commute as well.

Are you able to live off of 20k less?  Are you still able to save for retirement/college fund?

I personally wouldn't give >20% of my income for that but I could see making the argument for it.

*edited to add*

The college fund question is making the assumption the kid isn't yours and you've been tricked into raising it.  If it actually has your genes passed down, college fund won't be needed.

if new job is good and you can live just fine off 20k less absolutely do it... You can never get hours of life back 

2 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

if new job is good and you can live just fine off 20k less absolutely do it... You can never get hours of life back 

I agree with this. It’s not worth it if this makes you struggle. But if you can afford it then hell yea. You’ll have so much more free time and it’ll make you happier to do other things after work instead of get home, eat, shower, and then bed 

I value money more than time so I wouldn’t do it. 

Take that extra 20k and invest it each year and retire a few years earlier. That’s what a smart person would do.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

The other important question...Would the new job require you to actually work?

I post 80% less now than I used to. I need a job with no work. RPHT is going to catch me,

13 minutes ago, edjr said:

I post 80% less now than I used to. I need a job with no work. RPHT is going to catch me,

Does he have your IP address? :shocking: 

18 minutes ago, edjr said:

need to be in Texas for that 🤣

29 minutes ago, MDC said:

Does he have your IP address? :shocking: 

No but he makes more than you two. Lol. 

I'll add that it seems like you like where you work now, and the new place is unknown, so that would lean me toward staying put.

That being said, what do you envision doing with those extra two hours other than avoiding after school costs?  Also, is there an impact on having to be there one hour earlier?

58 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Yes...you only get one life ...get out of there at 2 and enjoy it. 

I could actually not leave work early to golf :o

50 minutes ago, BufordT said:

If its gonna make you happier then do it. 

100%

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I'll add that it seems like you like where you work now, and the new place is unknown, so that would lean me toward staying put.

That being said, what do you envision doing with those extra two hours other than avoiding after school costs?  Also, is there an impact on having to be there one hour earlier?

picking my son up from school at least 2, 3 days a week. would mean the world to me. instead of having family do it. his mother works long hours too.  and I would join at least 2 golf leagues

Between 80 and 100 and drop 20 is a tough spot.  Are you carrying much debt?  If so, I wouldn't do it. 

15 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

Between 80 and 100 and drop 20 is a tough spot.  Are you carrying much debt?  If so, I wouldn't do it. 

Just a mortgage and I DJ too. 

not long ago I was making 70 only had this job for 8 months?

3 hours ago, edjr said:

I work 8 to 5 right now.  Have the chance to interview for a job that is the same, but 7 am to 2 pm, both in Boston.

getting home at 3 vs getting home at 6

Let's say you make $90k, your federal tax bracket is 24% (for a single person).  Let's assume your state tax bracket is 8% (just random number), your net pay from that is $61,200 - $3,600 ($400 x 9 months), in child care, bringing you down to $57,600.

If you drop to $70k, your federal tax bracket is 22%, so that with the 8% state tax, your net is $49k, plus the $3,600 in child care bringing up to $52,600.  So, you work 5 less hours per week and make only $5,000 less in the year.  To me, salary means nothing and "perks" means everything.  Meaning, medical benefits, 401k (or whatever plan you have), travel costs, etc.

Another question is, are you married?  The 24% to 22% drop in federal taxes comes at $165k.  Will the $20k drop you into the lower tax bracket?

From this standpoint, the obvious answer is, yes, you do it... unless you're really losing out on the "perks".

6 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Let's say you make $90k, your federal tax bracket is 24% (for a single person).  Let's assume your state tax bracket is 8% (just random number), your net pay from that is $61,200 - $3,600 ($400 x 9 months), in child care, bringing you down to $57,600.

If you drop to $70k, your federal tax bracket is 22%, so that with the 8% state tax, your net is $49k, plus the $3,600 in child care bringing up to $52,600.  So, you work 5 less hours per week and make only $5,000 less in the year.  To me, salary means nothing and "perks" means everything.  Meaning, medical benefits, 401k (or whatever plan you have), travel costs, etc.

Another question is, are you married?  The 24% to 22% drop in federal taxes comes at $165k.  Will the $20k drop you into the lower tax bracket?

From this standpoint, the obvious answer is, yes, you do it... unless you're really losing out on the "perks".

not married. we live together. Our house is paid for, we rent the one we have a mortgage on.,

Will you still get sweet tickets to pre-season football games? 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Will you still get sweet tickets to pre-season football games? 

doubt it. :(  no celtics regular season (which I loath)

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

not married. we live together. Our house is paid for, we rent the one we have a mortgage on.,

If you file separately then, you're possibly going to drop into a lower tax bracket.  That'll help absorb the loss in wages.

Just do the new job from your current job. Boom double income.

28 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Make the move. 

Life is short. 

Just ask rholio.  

:( 

55 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If he makes 90k/yr then only $5,800 of that is taxed at 24%.  Fed tax on a 90k salary is 17.5% or $15,775....before deductions obviously.