Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

If you could have been alive during any time, which time would you choose?

Id want to be in my early 20s right as the great depression ended so whatever that year is is my choice

Edit: I'd actually pick 1928 so I couldn't get drafted 

I'd go 500 years or so into the future when its a lock that they have cured most diseases, cured aging, etc.  Going backwards would suck.

1 hour ago, riversco said:

I'd go 500 years or so into the future when its a lock that they have cured most diseases, cured aging, etc.  Going backwards would suck.

I think this applies

• Thanks 1

Dinosaurs.  I'd tame one to ride around on, like a horse.

We are right in the middle of it. We peaked about 20-30 years ago and are heading down at a fast rate. I've witnessed the peak of humanity.

Born in like 1940.  Being a kid in the 50's would be fun.  1960's in your 20's would be cool.  Beatlles, free love.  I guess that means I'd be checking out in...  right about now.  :doh: 

• Thanks 1

Interesting question :cheers:

We know that generally speaking, the distant past is probably not a great pick. You just didn’t live that long and conditions were harsh. Maybe one in a million you had some awesome old timey life that we romanticize today, but generally a huge net loss.

So I want to agree with Bill E— coming of age in the 60s and 70s would be awesome. Then 80s and 90s in your peak earning years and you’re starting to check out when upheaval begins and it looks like we’re gonna totally annihilate the planet.

But there was a lot of upheaval in the 60s too.

So maybe the answer is—today? 🤯 But kinda depends what follows.

• Thanks 1

Born in the 40's, grow up in the 50's , be in my 20's for the the muscle car 60's early 70's. MAGA

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

We are right in the middle of it. We peaked about 20-30 years ago and are heading down at a fast rate. I've witnessed the peak of humanity.

Actually, "America peaked 40-50 years ago" is the correct answer meaning the 1970's to 1980's.  The buying power of the American dollar was never stronger than in the 1970's. Since then prices have gone up way faster than wages.   Also, there was hardly anyone around in the 1970's, at least in Florida. Beaches and national parks were empty. Much of the area was undeveloped. Early theme parks were barren. No traffic jams. Life was good.

So if we're trying to peak in the 1970's ... the answer to the 80 y.o. life question is early 1940's.  The boomers. Not only that, medical technology advanced significantly to keep them alive well beyond what their DNA should've allowed.

28 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Actually, "America peaked 40-50 years ago" is the correct answer meaning the 1970's to 1980's.  The buying power of the American dollar was never stronger than in the 1970's. Since then prices have gone up way faster than wages.   Also, there was hardly anyone around in the 1970's, at least in Florida. Beaches and national parks were empty. Much of the area was undeveloped. Early theme parks were barren. No traffic jams. Life was good.

So if we're trying to peak in the 1970's ... the answer to the 80 y.o. life question is early 1940's.  The boomers. Not only that, medical technology advanced significantly to keep them alive well beyond what their DNA should've allowed.

That's not the whole story. 

The investment and banking world underwent MASSIVE deregulation in the 1970s.  Before then, it was very very hard for the working class to buy stocks.  Also, the concept of a 401k was created (which is where people allow part of their salary to be invested in the stock market in exchange for the money being tax-exempt).  Wage increases were suddenly being enhanced by the ability to invest your wages in the market. 

A dumb person would argue that buying power peaked in the 1970s and that would be a terrible moment to enter the workforce.  But a smart person would understand that the opportunities for investment that opened up in the 1970s made it the best time to enter the workforce ever.  You could convert your cash into stocks and watch as your money exploded, way outpacing the rising cost of living or inflation.  It was an incredible new benefit.

People on left are VERY eager to erase these facts from the history books, and just claim things peaked in the 1970s.  But as is customary, the left commits lies of omission.  They leave out facts and attack you if you notice.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, shorepatrol said:

Born in the 40's, grow up in the 50's , be in my 20's for the the muscle car 60's early 70's. MAGA

I had a 1970 GTO convertible with a 400 in it. It got about 8 miles per gallon. 

One week earlier than I was actually born.  That way I would know everything that was about to happen and could take advantage of it.  😎

9 hours ago, Bill E. said:

Born in like 1940.  Being a kid in the 50's would be fun.  1960's in your 20's would be cool.  Beatlles, free love.  I guess that means I'd be checking out in...  right about now.  :doh: 

Yep. This would be my pick too. The only problem would be Vietnam. You'd be draft eligible no.? 

8 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yep. This would be my pick too. The only problem would be Vietnam. You'd be draft eligible no.? 

I was just going to say that.  I looked at my birth date for the first draft lottery in 1969, and I would have had #017.  :(

Whatever would make me old enough to fight in ww2 but young enough to beat up hippies in the 60’s. 

1700's so I could warn the founding fathers we need to pick our own cotton.

I would want to be born in 1960. I would be earning a decent wage in the mid to late 80's and invest it all on stocks i knew would skyrocket. I would be about 10 years older than I am now and I would be rich b!tch!

46 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

1700's so I could warn the founding fathers we need to pick our own cotton.

Changes nothing.  They would always guilt trip you about something else. Take away slavery, and it will be about the treatment of the native americans.  Take away the native americans, and they will say you stole New France or New Spain.  Take away that, and they will just say you have no right here and all of north america should be a nature preserve. 

It doesn't matter.  This is about standing up to guilt trips.

1 minute ago, riversco said:

Changes nothing.  They would always guilt trip you about something else. Take away slavery, and it will be about the treatment of the native americans.  Take away the native americans, and they will say you stole New France or New Spain.  Take away that, and they will just say you have no right here and all of north america should be a nature preserve. 

It doesn't matter.  This is about standing up to guilt trips.

I would also tell the founding fathers about (((They)))

12 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I would also tell the founding fathers about (((They)))

The founding fathers understood the threat.  Jefferson suggested a revolt on a regular basis to kill the global elites that try to steal the nation.

I'll take the 1870's type era.

I like horses, and women with big bushes 😘 😍

34 minutes ago, riversco said:

The founding fathers understood the threat.  Jefferson suggested a revolt on a regular basis to kill the global elites that try to steal the nation.

Maybe, but it should be very clear in our constitution. 

4 hours ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Maybe drafted but during peacetime.    My Father was born in '39 and was drafted in 1958 and out by '60 .   Plus I would probably have gone to college.  Maybe not back then though.