Fireballer

Eddie Van Halen dead?

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

We know which one he is...

I remember being a kid drawing this logo during class in my notebook.  Over and over again.  

• Like 4

Deadie Van Halen  :(

• Haha 1

Huge VH fan, and sux he died.... But he was a lifelong chain smoker - why the shock/awe/sorrow? 

4 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Huge VH fan, and sux he died.... But he was a lifelong chain smoker - why the shock/awe/sorrow? 

He had the puzzy eating cancer   

8 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Shock is because it was a so called “secret”, they kept it all close to the vest.  Sorrow?  Because anyone 39 to 59 probably grew up listening, and having memories tied to VH.  

The only weird thing was your post.

Can we not throw some old school jams out there and reminisce for old times?  Is that okay?  

• Like 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

He had the puzzy eating cancer   

Ha, no doubt - what a life he lived. 

1 minute ago, KSB2424 said:

Shock is because it was a so called “secret”, they kept it all close to the chest.  Sorrow?  Because anyone 39 to 59 probably grew up listening, and having memories tied to VH.  

The only weird thing was your post.

Secret my ass.. Hell I've known about his cancer for a while - which means most did too. I'm almost 51 - we all knew Eddie lived hard and fun - not shocking at all... The fact Keith Richards is still alive is what's shocking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Secret my ass.. Hell I've known about his cancer for a while - which means most did too. I'm almost 51 - we all knew Eddie lived hard and fun - not shocking at all... The fact Keith Richards is still alive is what's shocking. 

Cruzer, he just died, like today.   At least give it a day, maybe two.   

I’ll never forget what my mama told me one time at a funeral.  “KSB, time and place.  You are at a funeral, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say nothing at all.”  Time and place.  

6 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Throat cancer.  :mellow:

Looks like he didn’t go the surgery route though.  Can’t say I blame him, his voice was his life.  I’ll get by with a new fake-ish one.

You made the right call. He should have done the same.  His fingers were a higher priority than his vocal chords.  He was always in denial about smoking playing a role.   

RIP Eddie. You changed rock music bigly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

always in denial about smoking playing a role.   

He didn't get throat cancer from smoking. He got it from sucking Sammy Hagar's d*ck.

44 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

He didn't get throat cancer from smoking. He got it from sucking Sammy Hagar's d*ck.

Dude, check your handle name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I choose to remember one of my guitar idols at his happiest.  
For me, it seems that the funnest (nice werd, right?) was when he played with Sammy.  Absolutely nothing against DLR or early VH...I'm a hooge fan of both and grew up with them, but something about Sammy coming into the band seemed to make EVH alive again. Just my dumb thoughts

One of the most infectious smiles ever, that man had (in his younger days, obviously, asshats)

• Thanks 1

RIP Eddie Van Halen  :(

I'll go listen to some VH songs now.

Sucks he is dead, but VH was the most overrated 80"s hair band. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I would disagree with this on a few fronts...overrated and hair band for starters.  They were the consummate 70s/80s American Rock Band.  Virtuoso guitar player, solid rhythm section and backing vocals, and the prototypical rock and roll front man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I would disagree with this on a few fronts...overrated and hair band for starters.  They were the consummate 70s/80s American Rock Band.  Virtuoso guitar player, solid rhythm section and backing vocals, and the prototypical rock and roll front man.

Right on every count, but one.  Alex Van Halen was Eddie's brother and Eddie needed him in the band, but he was the 4th best drummer in the band.  Maybe lower than that.  If they had a real drummer, they might be in the conversation of best bands ever.  Every song they had was a similar beat. 

34 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

I was about to chide you for another unfinished countdown, but you did finish it.  :thumbsup: 

Van Halen appears twice.  :music_guitarred:

18 minutes ago, Mookz said:

I was about to chide you for another unfinished countdown, but you did finish it.  :thumbsup: 

Van Halen appears twice.  :music_guitarred:

I am not sayng VH sucks. I just don't get the rage over them. 

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Right on every count, but one.  Alex Van Halen was Eddie's brother and Eddie needed him in the band, but he was the 4th best drummer in the band.  Maybe lower than that.  If they had a real drummer, they might be in the conversation of best bands ever.  Every song they had was a similar beat. 

That's a great quote.  I have heard that about Ringo Starr and the Beatles.  Not that I believe it in either case.  I don't think Alex Van Halen is one of the all time greats, but for VH purposes he was adequate.....great frontman, all time great guitar player, criminally underrated bass player.  I think you gotta remember we are talking rock and roll bands and not Steely Dan, Queensryche or some other extensively produced music.

But that's the beauty of music...we all have our favorites and we all have our opinions.

Van Halen made great music and great videos.

I sold some equipment for Van Halen's road manager. I also gave him a ticket to NAMM and saved him a hassle. He said he would send Eddie to meet me, but I didn't think I would ever see him in such a packed huge building (the Anaheim convention center). 

I am standing around and heard some one yell out my name. Here comes Eddie Van Halen, with his had out. I was floored. He was very cool and stood around chain smoking (no, you couldn't smoke in there) and talking to me and my friends. It was his birthday. He didn't know Seymour Duncan, and I took him over and introduced him. We visited a few more booths together, and that was it. 

Where do you guys in the know, real guitar players - rank EVH on your all tIme greatest list? 

23 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Where do you guys in the know, real guitar players - rank EVH on your all tIme greatest list? 

I don't play but would think he is in the conversation of GOAT.  #1 is all personal preference and you could make an argument for probably 10-20 as the greatest.  He was an innovator which may put him ahead of many of the others though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I don't play guitar, but I figure he would be there fighting it out with Hendrix, Clapton and Page IMO...

11 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I don't play but would think he is in the conversation of GOAT.  #1 is all personal preference and you could make an argument for probably 10-20 as the greatest.  He was an innovator which may put him ahead of many of the others though.

I agree with this. I personally probably underrate him and I don’t know why. I recognize that is he very near the top, but for some reason, he is just not a personal favorite.