Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Anyone ever shop at the airport

Recommended Posts

Flying to Nebraska this morning for my BIL wedding this weekend. In the airport you see all kinds of shops and restaurants. Anyone ever actually do shopping at those stores? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One time I bought a bottle of water and a bag of pretzels from the news store at PHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - emergency wardrobe on a few trips; a very cool local artists shop In Albuquerque; plenty of duty free Scotch overseas; and a desperation haircut in Dallas.  Plenty of massages too.  But not sure how many airport stores will be open now.  Btw, airport store prices for larger items are usually similar to the same you’d pay at a regular store ... just rarely any discounts in my experience.  Or if there is a “deal” it’s only to bring things back to what you’d typically pay.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frank said:

I like to stop at the duty free shop. 

ONLY place I usually will look for stuff besides food. I like to browse their alcohol collection and see if there’s something I want to take home that I can’t get regularly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you do not fly a whole lot, I have not flown much either the past 6 years. Nothing wrong with being grounded.

 

I did fly a fair bit for a few years, both internationally and domestically and since my company made me take the cheapest flights I had ridiculous layovers(12 hours in Doha, one of the crappiest airports in the world). There are specific stores in specific airports that are pretty decent for shopping, for example a great chocolate store in Amsterdam. But these are the exception to the rule.

I have flown out of Charleston airport before, and of course, no shopping there. The possible layovers that you will have, either Chicago or Denver, also both suck for shopping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Men buy cigarettes and booze. Even if you don’t drink or smoke. At international airports when you are flying overseas. Digby doesn’t seem like an international traveler. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It sounds like you do not fly a whole lot, I have not flown much either the past 6 years. Nothing wrong with being grounded.

 

I did fly a fair bit for a few years, both internationally and domestically and since my company made me take the cheapest flights I had ridiculous layovers(12 hours in Doha, one of the crappiest airports in the world). There are specific stores in specific airports that are pretty decent for shopping, for example a great chocolate store in Amsterdam. But these are the exception to the rule.

I have flown out of Charleston airport before, and of course, no shopping there. The possible layovers that you will have, either Chicago or Denver, also both suck for shopping.

I’ve actually flown quite a bit. I just never shop at the stores in the airport. Always seem overpriced and I usually don’t have room in my suitcase for stuff :dunno: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes!  Any time I leave town for multiple days, I have a co-worker stop by my house and check on my cats---and as thank you I get her a gift(snow globes, pewter buildings, deck of cards) from the local airport.  She has a bunch of crap celebrating the town she has lived in her entire life on her shelf at work.  I'm thoughtful that way.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Yes!  Any time I leave town for multiple days, I have a co-worker stop by my house and check on my cats---and as thank you I get her a gift from the local airport.  She has a bunch of crap celebrating the town she has lived in her entire life on her shelf at work.  I'm ghey that way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

 

5/10

Joke was there, you took it, but not your best work.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I’ve actually flown quite a bit. I just never shop at the stores in the airport. Always seem overpriced and I usually don’t have room in my suitcase for stuff :dunno: 

Flying quite a bit is relative. For example I still fly 1-3 times a year and I think of that as not flying much. There are people out there who have flown in 2 months what you have flown in a lifetime.

I was flying every other week for 2 years on long distance flights, and there were still people in my company that put me to shame as far as flights are concerned. Getting the top rank of multiple airline rewards, etc.

 

There is nothing wrong with not flying, that is a crappy lifestyle, and all those people end up divorced. I am just trying to put it in perspective.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make a checklist before travel so rarely need anything in those stores. There are mainly two types of shoppers in airports. People who forget crap and people who buy crap. Usually some stupid gift for someone that the person doesn't even want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

5/10

Joke was there, you took it, but not your best work.  ;)

It’s early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where I bought my Rolex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, edjr said:

Where I bought my Rolex

Because you didn’t have one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends.

In the first world, hell no. Everything is ridiculously overpriced.

The exception would be bookstores. Often you can find cool local things in airport bookstores. Local history and such.

But give me a good third world airport, and hell yeah.

My favorite airport in asia is the Manila Airport. I get there early. Have a nice meal, go get a massage, and then go sit in a bar where you can smoke and pound red horse (a very strong beer) before my flight. All cheap as hell.

I hate the Hong Kong Airport, which is where I usually fly in and out of. If you want to buy a $25k watch, you have numerous options. A bottle of focking water, not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy the wife and kids shirts, toys or other crap when flying home from a business trip. That's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the COVID I was flying 90-100 segments a year.  I have purchased ties and belts out of necessity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

Flying quite a bit is relative. For example I still fly 1-3 times a year and I think of that as not flying much. There are people out there who have flown in 2 months what you have flown in a lifetime.

I was flying every other week for 2 years on long distance flights, and there were still people in my company that put me to shame as far as flights are concerned. Getting the top rank of multiple airline rewards, etc.

 

There is nothing wrong with not flying, that is a crappy lifestyle, and all those people end up divorced. I am just trying to put it in perspective.

 

Yea I was thinking that. I’ve flown more than the average person let’s just say that. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we go to Mexico, my wife always has to pick up a piece of Mexican Black Clay Oaxacan Pottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea I was thinking that. I’ve flown more than the average person let’s just say that. 

Your question was about commercial flying, not private jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

When we go to Mexico, my wife always has to pick up a piece of Mexican Black Clay Oaxacan Pottery. 

We picked up something similar in Jamaica but it wasn’t at the airport lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a rule I don’t; back when I flew a lot most of my flights were domestic with few connections so I didn’t have to kill a lot of time for layovers.  Two exceptions were a Brooks Brothers sport coat and a small Tumi bag for electronics cords, both of which caught my eye and both of which were things I had been in the market for.  As someone earlier intimated, prices were fair “regular” prices but not super sales/discounts.  Of course there is the occasional “oh crap we didn’t get anything for that person looking after our cat” or “oh crap I forgot [insert toiletry or charger]” purchase as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MTSkiBum said:

It sounds like you do not fly a whole lot, I have not flown much either the past 6 years. Nothing wrong with being grounded.

 

I did fly a fair bit for a few years, both internationally and domestically and since my company made me take the cheapest flights I had ridiculous layovers(12 hours in Doha, one of the crappiest airports in the world). There are specific stores in specific airports that are pretty decent for shopping, for example a great chocolate store in Amsterdam. But these are the exception to the rule.

I have flown out of Charleston airport before, and of course, no shopping there. The possible layovers that you will have, either Chicago or Denver, also both suck for shopping.

While I did not do a lot of shopping, I loved the European airports and train stations while waiting between connections.

 

as for purchases, before internet I would buy magazines or books for trips.  Not much else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frank said:

I like to stop at the duty free shop. 

Great place to buy gourmet chocolates!

:banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×