Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

What state would you live in

disarray 

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

That’s so true about the 5 hour drive!  I came out from PA via MA, everything was so much closer there.  When I moved to Phoenix people were like “hey let’s go to SD, it’s only 5 hours away!”  I’m like “only?!  From my hometown in PA I could get to 5 major cities in 5-6 hours!”  But like you said, in a short time a drive like that becomes nothing.  Heck, if you get on I-8 to SD and have good wheel alignment, you can fall asleep for an hour or two the road is so straight.  

It really is nice having different climates so close.  Prescott and Payton are < 2 hours away and 20+ degrees cooler, about 5K elevation.  Flagstaff and Pinetop are 3.5 hours and cooler, more like 8K elevation.  We are planning for retirement — met a realtor yesterday, I think we are going to sell our house.  The market is crazy now, even for larger homes.  We can rent a friend’s condo in Scottsdale for as long as we like, to figure out the next step. :cheers: 

I would think you would become accustomed to longer drives.  

But im not sure they become nothing.  Driving in a vehicle is a waste of time.  If I could teleport everywhere I would.  There are only 24 hrs in each day.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fnord said:

Flagstaff is beautiful,  but home prices there are nuts, almost California-like. And the winters can be tough, as the snowfall adds up quick. I lived there for a year, and this Minnesota kid saw two of the worst blizzards of his life that one winter. You also have Sedona close by, which is spectacular.  AZ would be an excellent place to retire. Good luck with your plans, Jerry.

Prescott has become expensive but not nearly like Sedona; it's more moderate weather than Flag and all three are pretty close / easy day trips.  Also it is barely more than an hour from Mayo Clinic which is on the north side of Phoenix.  Heck, it takes me 40 minutes to drive to Mayo from the south side of Phoenix today.

Payson has similar weather and proximity as Prescott, but it is sorta by itself although it gets you closer to the higher mountains in the east (Pinetop, Greer, etc.).  Those areas are a little too far off the grid for me personally.

We are thinking a little cabin and maybe a little place somewhere in the Phoenix area, but that is down the road. :cheers:

48 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Headed there in 11 days. 

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, staying in Delray Beach 2 days, then driving over and staying in Bonita Springs. Playing Bonita National 1 day, and then 2 places in Naples after that. 

Will be in Kissimmee Monday for a week.  We have a place, has 4 golf courses. We go twice a year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Headed there in 11 days. 

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale, staying in Delray Beach 2 days, then driving over and staying in Bonita Springs. Playing Bonita National 1 day, and then 2 places in Naples after that. 

Nice.  Old Corkscrew in Estero is awesome if you can get in another round.

• Like 1

Florida, Gulf Coast is lovely, and the governmental leadership has common sense....for now

San Antonio in Texor is lovely

Utah/Colorado would be solid, just beautiful there, and plenty of space to stay away from all the idiots out there

16 hours ago, Bert said:

Nice.  Old Corkscrew in Estero is awesome if you can get in another round.

Oh okay... My buddy is setting up the Naples courses, still working on it I guess. 

The Champions Tour is in Naples this week, playing Tiburon Golf Club -- have you played there yet? 

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

Oh okay... My buddy is setting up the Naples courses, still working on it I guess. 

The Champions Tour is in Naples this week, playing Tiburon Golf Club -- have you played there yet? 

Yes sir.  Played the Shark Shootout course and the other course.  The tournament course was tough but had some good risk reward holes.  Both were nice.

• Like 1

If South Jersey became it's own state, it would be #1 on the list.  South Jersey would instantly become one of the wealthiest (per capita), states in the country.

2 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

If South Jersey became it's own state, it would be #1 on the list.  South Jersey would instantly become one of the wealthiest (per capita), states in the country.

And Camden? Give it to PA? 

1) Michigan

2) Idaho

3) Montana

4) Alaska

5) New Hampshire

6) Maine

7) Texas

8 ) Florida

9) Wisconsin

10) Ohio

11) Pennsylvania

12) Minnesota

13) Utah

14) Colorado

15) Arizona

16) Hawaii

17) North Carolina

18) Georgia

19) New Mexico

20) Nevada

21) Oregon

22) Washington

23) Indiana

24) Nebraska

25) Kansas

26) Iowa

27) Missouri

28) Oklahoma

29) Vermont

30) Connecticut

31) Rhode Island

32) Kentucky

33) Tennessee

34) South Carolina

35) Wyoming

36) South Dakota

37) North Dakota

38) Massachusetts

39) Illinois

40) Louisiana

41) Alabama

42) Arkansas

43) Mississippi

44) West Virginia

45) Delaware

46) Maryland

47) Virginia

48) New York

49) New Jersey

50) California

On 4/16/2021 at 6:44 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

And Camden? Give it to PA? 

Would love to If possible, but wouldn't be necessary.  With all of the AC and shore points entertainment income staying local, there'd be plenty to go around.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:00 AM, Voltaire said:

1) Michigan

2) Idaho

3) Montana

4) Alaska

5) New Hampshire

6) Maine

7) Texas

8 ) Florida

9) Wisconsin

10) Ohio

11) Pennsylvania

12) Minnesota

13) Utah

14) Colorado

15) Arizona

16) Hawaii

17) North Carolina

18) Georgia

19) New Mexico

20) Nevada

21) Oregon

22) Washington

23) Indiana

24) Nebraska

25) Kansas

26) Iowa

27) Missouri

28) Oklahoma

29) Vermont

30) Connecticut

31) Rhode Island

32) Kentucky

33) Tennessee

34) South Carolina

35) Wyoming

36) South Dakota

37) North Dakota

38) Massachusetts

39) Illinois

40) Louisiana

41) Alabama

42) Arkansas

43) Mississippi

44) West Virginia

45) Delaware

46) Maryland

47) Virginia

48) New York

49) New Jersey

50) California

Nebraska ahead of Iowa?  Gross.

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Truth be known, I don't know much difference between Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska, which is why they're all lumped together in the middle. The top twelve and bottom twelve are pretty accurate and then I wasn't sure what to do in between. New Jersey probably belongs on the bottom, it's a leftist state that's fugly while California has nice weather and scenery and some exciting places after all, but ... eh... in the end, I couldn't do it. I simply don't despise New Jersey like I do California.

1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

Truth be known, I don't know much difference between Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska, which is why they're all lumped together in the middle. The top twelve and bottom twelve are pretty accurate and then I wasn't sure what to do in between. New Jersey probably belongs on the bottom,  California has nice weather and scenery and some exciting places after all, but ... eh... in the end, I couldn't do it. I simply don't despise New Jersey.

I don't know enough about Kansas but Nebraska sucks.  Western Iowa is basically the same though.  NE Iowa is very nice and also pretty conservative.

The red parts of Maryland are a top ten state.  Beaches and Mountains.  The blue parts may be dead last, slums, inner city, guilty white libs. But since gerrymandering makes the whole state blue, 45 is about right.

Top tier: Places with big mountains - Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Idaho

Second tier: Outdoor stuff, but too crowded, cold or rainy - Alaska, CA, WA, OR, SD

Third tier: Beautiful, too hot - Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona

Fourth: Eastern states with decent climate and scenery - NC, Tenn, ?VA

Fifth: The rest of the E coast, SE>NE

No chance in he!!: TX, FL, all the flat states in the middle.

8 hours ago, penultimatestraw said:

Top tier: Places with big mountains - Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Idaho

Second tier: Outdoor stuff, but too crowded, cold or rainy - Alaska, CA, WA, OR, SD

Third tier: Beautiful, too hot - Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona

Fourth: Eastern states with decent climate and scenery - NC, Tenn, ?VA

Fifth: The rest of the E coast, SE>NE

No chance in he!!: TX, FL, all the flat states in the middle.

You're not dead in a mountain climbing accident?  Good to know.  Welcome back

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

For any libtards going to Florida...

Grady Judd has found his way into national news setting leftist's hair on fire again. I love this guy. 

8 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Grady Judd has found his way into national news setting leftist's hair on fire again. I love this guy. 

Yeah, hes had a few zingers on YouTube last couple years

10 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Iowa smells bad and is run down.  Nebraska, the Good Life! 

16 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Iowa smells bad and is run down.  Nebraska, the Good Life! 

How does Iowa smell worse than Nebraska, they're both farming states.

31 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

How does Iowa smell worse than Nebraska, they're both farming states.

More hog farms in Iowa.  I'm mainly criticizing Council Bluffs compared to Omaha.  I have never been to central or eastern Iowa.

2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

More hog farms in Iowa.  I'm mainly criticizing Council Bluffs compared to Omaha.  I have never been to central or eastern Iowa.

Western Iowa is terrible other than the great lake area in the NW.  It might as well be part of Nebraska.  Central Iowa doesn't offer much of anything other than Des Moines.  Southern Iowa is basically Missouri.  Eastern Iowa is the best part of the state, specifically the NE.  The driftless area is great.

2 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Iowa smells worse than North Jersey

Depends on where you are in Iowa and what time of the year.  It doesn't smell all year round.  Farmers call it the smell of money.  Manure can be very valuable.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:51 PM, Bert said:

Yes sir.  Played the Shark Shootout course and the other course.  The tournament course was tough but had some good risk reward holes.  Both were nice.

Any restaurants I should check out, maybe ocean view bars? 

Arkansas, but only the NW corner of the state. That's where I would like to retire. Lots of hiking opportunities, golfing, beautiful scenery. Neat little towns to visit and get lost in for a day. The state gets a bad rap and rightfully so in many cases...but the NW corner of the state is really an awesome place. 

West Virginia...  Beautiful country and very relaxing and cheap cost of living...  If I was going to be full-time WFH on my contract, I would seriously consider it...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Any restaurants I should check out, maybe ocean view bars? 

DeRomos - for Italian.  It isn't on the water but damn good.

The Turtle Club is a restaurant right on the beach.  Food is good.  It gets crowded and at sunset, all the northeast d!cks jump up and block the views taking pictures.   

The Dock at Crayton Cove and 3 60 Market are solid.

ETA:  I can't believe I forgot the Sunset Set Beach bar and grill - the food is hit and miss but the views are awesome.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, Bert said:

DeRomos - for Italian.  It isn't on the water but damn good.

The Turtle Club is a restaurant right on the beach.  Food is good.  It gets crowded and at sunset, all the northeast d!cks jump up and block the views taking pictures.   

The Dock at Crayton Cove and 3 60 Market are solid.

ETA:  I can't believe I forgot the Sunset Set Beach bar and grill - the food is hit and miss but the views are awesome.

Thanks man. 👍

On 4/12/2021 at 1:21 PM, Bier Meister said:

For being so young, you sure have a bad memory 😜.  We've done this, and I think you started the thread.

Hawaii

Colorado mountains

Florida Keys

On 4/12/2021 at 1:33 PM, Djgb13 said:

Lol prob. I don’t remember all the topics we’ve discussed over the years 

:lol:  only 11 months ago....

On 4/12/2021 at 1:33 PM, Djgb13 said:

Lol prob. I don’t remember all the topics we’ve discussed over the years 

Multiple times apparently.