RLLD

NBA ratings plummet

4 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

As a Celtics fan I can tell you, he was not popular among all groups.

You know what I mean. Of course you hated him, as did pistons fans. Just like Red Sox and Mets fans hated Jeter. 

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sure. Unlike MJ, who was popular amongst all groups. 

MJ would not be near as popular if he played in this era with social media and news coverage.  MJ was an a-hole.  I loved him when I was a kid and still think he's the greatest ever but the more I learned about him the more I think I probably wouldn't like him if he was playing now.

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They are not doing just fine. Their ratings are in a free fall. Doesn’t mean they are going out of business. Pretty sure no one said that, so I don’t know why you bring it up.  Oh yeah, because your point is awful so you had to embellish.  Typical. 

There are always conflicting reports depending on which news source you choose to use.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2021/06/23/mark-cuban-defends-nba-ratings

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Like I said, always conflicting reports.  Anyone can find a report that gives conflicting info.  I'm sure you can find plenty that say the NBA is failing quickly.  Who's correct?  All I know is that I don't see the league going anywhere, just like the NFL and MLB.

Probably not. As long as hockey stays I'm good.

• Like 1

Just now, Utilit99 said:

Probably not. As long as hockey stays I'm good.

The major sports are too big to completely fail in my opinion.  Even if they do something big to screw up, they just need to bring in a new commissioner and make people believe they are going to right the ship.

10 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

The NBA will be fine as long as they have China.

if the nba relies on china they are doomed.  china will eventually fund their own top league and take all of the nba elite.

No one here knows how YouTube views equate in dollars. Maybe no one anywhere does. But they are touted as significant and maybe they are. Any and all revenue ultimately comes from us and I don't think I intentionally give a dime, but unintentionally I probably give dollars. Inflation. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You know what I mean. Of course you hated him, as did pistons fans. Just like Red Sox and Mets fans hated Jeter. 

Nope.

Pistons fans didn't give two focks about MJ. You don't form a rivalry with the bug on the windshield. The Bulls were just one of the team you rolled over before you played the Celtics. Chuck Daly came up with the "Jordan Rules" and had the best two players in the league to implement it. It was a full team effort but you primarily cover Jordan with Dumars, then swap out for Rodman, then back to Dumars, then back to Rodman. Rinse. Repeat. Flush. Play Celtics. The Bulls were an insignificant rats' ass team and we were only informed about our "rivalry" with them years later when people started to give a fock about what Chicago players had to say. How many years in a row did we beat them? Three? Five? Eight? I have no idea how often we farted them off. I didn't realize at the time that years later, I was supposed to have paid attention. We probably rolled over the Falcons and Bucks a few times in the playoffs those years too. Maybe they thought they had a rivalry with us too. They didn't. 

Not to say MJ wasn't great in those days, MJ was the best player in the league and the best player on the floor. He still did damage, but he was less effective against the Pistons than any other team because the Pistons had the personel who contained the explosion less poorly than everyone else could and then run downcourt and outgun the Bulls on the other end. Jordan's best was never good enough when he played the Pistons. The Celtics were the real rivals, the Bulls were an irrelevant afterthought.

God Bless being stuck running around the desert and not seeing the Bulls actually beat the Pistons, because it preserves their 3rd rate "also ran" status in my head.

8 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

china will eventually fund their own top league and take all of the nba elite.

China is important to the league, but this will never happen.  The Chinese Basketball Association is a league for NBA cast-offs.  It will never be anything more than that in our lifetimes.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

China is important to the league, but this will never happen.  The Chinese Basketball Association is a league for NBA cast-offs.  It will never be anything more than that in our lifetimes.  

the AFL was once considered inferior to the NFL.  Things change.  Especially if China decides to make it a priority.

Just now, JustinCharge said:

the AFL was once considered inferior to the NFL.  Things change.  Especially if China decides to make it a priority.

UFC is bigger than boxing now. Things change. 

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

All this stuff is just a coincidence, nothing to see here.

No one cares about the kneeling and the woke stuff. Trumpers are just making it up. That’s not why ratings are down. Covid!  Russia! 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No one cares about the kneeling and the woke stuff. Trumpers are just making it up. That’s not why ratings are down. Covid!  Russia! 

Good point, probably a lot of people illegally streaming it or just watching the highlights.

20 minutes ago, Reality said:

All this stuff is just a coincidence, nothing to see here.

Gotta give them credit. If their goal was to alienate viewers then they certainly nailed it.  Good job guys/gals/thems! 

ESPN used to provide the best highlights.  Now they fear they cannot compete with Youtube.  So its politics, clickbait, anger, racism, and shock jocks.  I don't consider it a sports outlet anymore.  The current corporate structure at ESPN means that anyone with any true passion for sports will not work there. 

Steve Jobs said in an interview that over time companies become more about sales and less about design. The people who create are pushed out and then when the company needs to make new products they don’t have anyone who actually knows how.

I remember thinking how cool it was going to be that the. NFL had its own network. Barely watch it. 

44 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I remember thinking how cool it was going to be that the. NFL had its own network. Barely watch it. 

You need a neutral third party, otherwise its just promotional material, like reading a brochure to disney world.

Great game last night.  

Few people care about these teams and players, but the Bucks have come back from 0-2 to take the series lead 3-2.  

Tuesday will be fun to watch.

Giannis is as solid as they come and is pretty easy to root for.  He does need to learn to shoot free throws though.  

8 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Great game last night.  

Few people care about these teams and players, but the Bucks have come back from 0-2 to take the series lead 3-2.  

Giannis is as solid as they come and is pretty easy to root for.  He does need to learn to shoot free throws though.  

First complete game I watched this year 🏀

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, nobody said:

I like how they keep losing because the NBA offense is all about drawing fouls now and the international refs just aren't giving them to the players that overtly lurch into defenders.

Fixored so people don't think they're stroking out.  :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Mookz said:

Fixored so people don't think they're stroking out.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, I was thinking, "Isn't that what I wrote?" Then when I looked at the original post, I realized I got autocorrected to hell and back.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, vuduchile said:

Great game last night.  

I don't think it was a great game.  There's not enough consistency in the league this season.  Players are great one night and terrible the next.  Its really noticeable as the media oversells every great performance to try to build hype, then it seems like that player is off the next night. 

Giannis is interesting in that that the media tries to undersell him.  They always complain that Giannis does not consistently attack the rim.  Makes him sound overrated.

4 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

I don't think it was a great game.  There's not enough consistency in the league this season.  Players are great one night and terrible the next.  Its really noticeable as the media oversells every great performance to try to build hype, then it seems like that player is off the next night. 

Giannis is interesting in that that the media tries to undersell him.  They always complain that Giannis does not consistently attack the rim.  Makes him sound overrated.

you should stop talking about basketball

• Like 1

I feel bad for some of you. Just say you don’t like basketball as opposed to saying it’s a bad series. This is actually been one of the best, most competitive series in recent memory. Been fantastic basketball. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

I feel bad for some of you. Just say you don’t like basketball as opposed to saying it’s a bad series. This is actually been one of the best, most competitive series in recent memory. Been fantastic basketball. 

I wouldn't exactly call it fantastic basketball.  On one end we have Giannis playing bully ball and can't make a shot outside the paint.  He reminds me of the football player that comes and plays with the basketball team.  He has limited skill, but he's just bigger and more athletic than everyone.

Then on the other end, we have phoenix who's offense seems to consist solely of Chris Paul and Devin Booker playing iso ball and running pick and rolls with Ayton while anyone not involved in the play literally stand at the 3 point line.

It is some great shot making though.  The game has evolved into iso, then take some crazy side step or step back jumper that 25 years ago would be called a terrible shot.   I'm impressed at how these guys can make these shots nowadays.

I don’t like the NBA anymore, but for some reason I’ve spent more time in this thread than I’ve spent watching any games this year. I’ll see myself out. 

Milwaukee had more 3 point attempts than free throw attempts and assists.  Boring.

28 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Milwaukee had more 3 point attempts than free throw attempts.  Boring.

through most of the game, free throws are the most boring part of basketball

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Milwaukee had more 3 point attempts than free throw attempts and assists.  Boring.

Yes because there’s nothing more exciting than free throws

• Like 1

I am here to admit I DVR'ed game 5. I fast forwarded to the last 1:30 of the game.

Yannis missed all 3 free throws he took :lol:  what a choking chump. Thanks to a steal they still won.

Chris Paul choked away a huge game as well (I did not watch, I heard about it)

The NBA is focking gross.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

Yes because there’s nothing more exciting than free throws

Not comparing the actual shots dummy.   But keep doing you.

• Thanks 1

These 2 are the best the NBA had to offer this year, really??? 

Wow - total shiit show. 

15 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

These 2 are the best the NBA had to offer this year, really??? 

Wow - total shiit show. 

The 2 and 3 seed? Yeah pretty good teams. 

59 minutes ago, edjr said:

I am here to admit I DVR'ed game 5. I fast forwarded to the last 1:30 of the game.

Yannis missed all 3 free throws he took :lol:  what a choking chump. Thanks to a steal they still won.

Chris Paul choked away a huge game as well (I did not watch, I heard about it)

The NBA is focking gross.

You dont watch so who GAF what you think of it. 

What’s funny is that those of you complaining about it your arguments don’t even make sense as to why you think it’s bad. More three-pointers than free throws? Seriously? Stupid. Missed free throws? Yeah it happens. 

The shotmaking and play execution has been pretty magnificent. But trying to explain it to people that couldn’t draw up one offensive set is pretty futile. Don’t watch. Nobody cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

2 hours ago, nobody said:

I wouldn't exactly call it fantastic basketball.  On one end we have Giannis playing bully ball and can't make a shot outside the paint.  He reminds me of the football player that comes and plays with the basketball team.  He has limited skill, but he's just bigger and more athletic than everyone.

Then on the other end, we have phoenix who's offense seems to consist solely of Chris Paul and Devin Booker playing iso ball and running pick and rolls with Ayton while anyone not involved in the play literally stand at the 3 point line.

It is some great shot making though.  The game has evolved into iso, then take some crazy side step or step back jumper that 25 years ago would be called a terrible shot.   I'm impressed at how these guys can make these shots nowadays.

I don’t get some of these takes at all.  

We complain about too many fouls and flops, thus too many free throws.  

We complain that it’s all 3 pointers now, no inside game. 

Now we’re complaining that Giannis is a superior athlete with a great inside game but can’t shoot.  And the Suns are playing a pick and roll and there weren’t enough free throws.  

Bird and McHale played a lot of pick and roll

Wilt, Kareem and Shaq were only great in the paint   

They’re all just playing basketball, taking what the D gives them and playing to their strengths.  

What else are they supposed to do?  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cyclone24 said:

The 2 and 3 seed? Yeah pretty good teams. 

Seedings don't mean shiit compared to the eye test. 

Arguably the weakest NBA Finals teams ever. 

• Sad 1