Cloaca du jour

Ponderosa steakhouse..dead??

Local one never survived the pandemic.  Are they still closed around you guys?

Was affectionately known as Poundaroaches lol

Im sure all the wyagu steak eaters have never heard of this

• Sad 1

Was a Sizzler guy myself.  But what a great concept they were.  Those crappy steaks in the 70's were probably better than what's in the Supermarket today. 

Self serve restaurants need to go the way of the Dodo bird.  Lard ass over there who prolly spent a good part of the last hour scratching his sweaty ball sack is manhandling every piece of chicken in the pan but this magical sneeze guard will protect me from his cooties.

Hard pass.

The local chin lee buffet has been open since Ohio got rid of masks

Ponderosa didnt even try curbside

Fine, you can have it. Please don't take texas roadhouse away.

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

I’m more of a Longhorn or Saltgrass type of guy. Steaks at Texas Roadhouse just don’t seem as good

Just now, Djgb13 said:

I’m more of a Longhorn or Saltgrass type of guy. Steaks at Texas Roadhouse just don’t seem as good

It's not a steak house to me. My son loves it for the peanuts and bread and I like it for the waitresses (usually)

I’ve never been to any of these places. But have been to Outback back in the day

8 minutes ago, edjr said:

It's not a steak house to me. My son loves it for the peanuts and bread and I like it for the waitresses (usually)

Yea the rolls there a focking bomb. But there’s not much else I’d get there. Used to be good but seems they’ve taken a hit in quality. Not a bad place to take the kids tho cause I loved it as a kid too. 

olive garden is the new ponderosa.  instead of the salad buffett, its just bottomless breadsticks and endless salads.  tell me when to stop shiiting cheese all over your food.

13 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Yea the rolls there a focking bomb. But there’s not much else I’d get there. Used to be good but seems they’ve taken a hit in quality. Not a bad place to take the kids tho cause I loved it as a kid too. 

I like the salads. cheap beer too usually. 

6 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

olive garden is the new ponderosa.  instead of the salad buffett, its just bottomless breadsticks and endless salads.  tell me when to stop shiiting cheese all over your food.

I hate their bread, but I do like the salad dressing. We go there when we visit FLorida. Just have to be sure to tell them dressing on the side, or it comes like soup

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

I like the salads. cheap beer too usually. 

Had plenty of good nights in tech school with the boys up there in SA with that beer and those waitresses line dancing with us :cheers: 

1 minute ago, Djgb13 said:

Had plenty of good nights in tech school with the boys up there in SA with that beer and those waitresses line dancing with us :cheers: 

of course they don't do that anymore, or didn't during covid.  haven't been in a minute.

17 minutes ago, edjr said:

of course they don't do that anymore, or didn't during covid.  haven't been in a minute.

Same. Haven’t been in at least a year and that was only cause we had a gift card. 

Weird, I just google mapped Ponderosa and it seems like they are completely gone from the US?

Sizzler shows one still open in Phoenix, in a poor part of town.

I think the market has spoken that crappy steakhouses aren’t in demand.  :dunno: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Weird, I just google mapped Ponderosa and it seems like they are completely gone from the US?

Sizzler shows one still open in Phoenix, in a poor part of town.

I think the market has spoken that crappy steakhouses aren’t in demand.  :dunno: 

Same here. They used to have one down in myrtle beach. Not anymore apparently. 

8 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Dang....I grew up on Ponderosa Steakhouse, at the time it was actually the fancy place close to us.

When we were poor hungry neighborhood kids in the 70's we'd dumpster dive for a paper drinking cup, sneak in the back door to the bathroom, wash it out, and go get free refills. Then put them at our table and gather enough change from our pockets to buy a 10c roll and a couple pats of butter. Sometime we'd actually have enough money to buy a meal. 

good times!!!!

No - there's no substitute for a high dollar steakhouse serving up $150 Prime/Wagyu bone-in ribeye steaks. 

But Saltgrass isn't bad, it's actually great in fact. For a choice steak - it's damn good, hard to beat. 

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

But Saltgrass isn't bad, it's actually great in fact. For a choice steak - it's damn good, hard to beat. 

Went to one in Florida about 12 years ago. Pretty darn good.

15 hours ago, edjr said:

it comes like soup

I do, too.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Ponderosa hasn't been in NJ for decades.  Didn't know they still existed.

19 hours ago, edjr said:

The season rubbed Ribeye at TRH may be the best restaurant steak I have ever had.

• Thanks 1

One near me closed a few years ago, now it's a doctor's office.

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

The season rubbed Ribeye at TRH may be the best restaurant steak I have ever had.

You need to go to better steakhouses.

I can't remember going to a ponderosa or a sizzler, although Im pretty sure I must have at least once growing up.

Just now, Strike said:

You need to go to better steakhouses.

You mean other than  Mortons, Peter Luger's, Delmonico's and Ruth's Chris? :dunno:   Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Then you need to try the chili rub bone-in ribeye at SW Steakhouse in Vegas.  It is incredible!  You have to request the chili rub on the standard bone-in ribeye. 

8 minutes ago, Bert said:

Then you need to try the chili rub bone-in ribeye at SW Steakhouse in Vegas.  It is incredible!  You have to request the chili rub on the standard bone-in ribeye. 

Sounds de-lish.  While I wait for my trip to Vegas, I might just try it at home.  I have been buying meat from a local farm that is top notch. 

5 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Sounds de-lish.  While I wait for my trip to Vegas, I might just try it at home.  I have been buying meat from a local farm that is top notch. 

They have a chili rubbed double bone-in ribeye (42oz) that is marinated in some sort of chili concoction then rubbed and grilled.  It was featured by chef Scott Conant on Best Thing I Ever Ate.  It tasted too much like a roast and not a steak for my taste.  One evening a waiter recommended the 24oz bone-in Ribeye with the chili rub.:wub:

Ponderosa Steakhouse is dead.  

2 hours ago, kutulu said:

One near me closed a few years ago, now it's a doctor's office.

So you're saying you can't get a steak there anymore?  🤔

1 minute ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Listen here...this is about grade D steaks!!!!  Hijackers!!

Apologies.  In that case, Longhorn, Saltgrass and TRH.

30 years or so ago, Waffle House used to have the "All-You-Can-Eat" deal late at night. 

Can't tell you how many steak & eggs/hash brown plates I threw down - those were some damn good cheap steaks. 

18 minutes ago, Bert said:

They have a chili rubbed double bone-in ribeye (42oz) that is marinated in some sort of chili concoction then rubbed and grilled.  It was featured by chef Scott Conant on Best Thing I Ever Ate.  It tasted too much like a roast and not a steak for my taste.  One evening a waiter recommended the 24oz bone-in Ribeye with the chili rub.:wub:

I have to admit I much prefer steaks cut off the roast, no matter the cut, so I could see loving it.

I’m not being a snob - I only remember eating at a Sizzler and there was another one local to me. Rustler. Both have been gone for decades. 

I used to love Sizzler when I was a kid, before I knew what good food tasted like.