Utilit99

If you could be at any concert in history....

...what would it be?

I'm not saying this would be the one, but, shlt, this would be one amazing moment. 

• Like 1

Um.... Woodstock

I mean, I'm no hippy or anything but that's the most famous concert ever by a large margin with many legendary bands performing.

• Like 3

Elvis late 60’s early 70’s. Any of them. 

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Um.... Woodstock

I mean, I'm no hippy or anything but that's the most famous concert ever by a large margin with many legendary bands performing.

This is the answer I think.

4 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Um.... Woodstock

I’d leave after Sha Na Na finished their set. It was right before Hendrix did the national anthem. No thanks. I probably would have kicked a few hippies in the face during that.  

Clash at Shea Stadium. The concert album Live from Here to Eternity is killer.

Rainbow, 1977, Munich Germany

Missed a football practice to see The Who in 1982 at Shea Stadium. All my friends were pumped for The Who but I was there for The Clash.  Both were great. The coach was furious that so many of us went but he couldn’t do much. We sucked that year anyway. 

Joe Mama

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Um.... Woodstock

This has to be the right answer. 

36 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Missed a football practice to see The Who in 1982 at Shea Stadium. All my friends were pumped for The Who but I was there for The Clash.  Both were great. The coach was furious that so many of us went but he couldn’t do much. We sucked that year anyway. 

I was there. David Johanson opened the show - 

• Thanks 1

As someone who has been to over five hundred big named band concerts near and far. 1- Rush and Ozzy at the Texas Jam in the Astrodome in the mid eighties. Incredible show. Was Was high as a kite and would love to  revisit that show older and somewhat sober. 2- The Stones at Altamont. Turned out to be the exact opposite of Woodstock. Read it was a great show till the Hells Angels started killing people with pool sticks and knives. 3-Lolapoolza when Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ministry, and Red Hot Chili Peppers we’re in ther prime. Love to that one again somewhat sober. 

There’s a ton of em, but for more recent ones I’d go with Radiohead at Lollapalooza:

Mooney is sorry he missed out on Lilith Fair. 

4 hours ago, dain11279 said:

Live Aid, especially for Queen’s set

I immediately thought of Queen at Live Aid when I saw the thread title. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, dain11279 said:

55 minutes ago, DonS said:

I immediately thought of Queen at Live Aid when I saw the thread title. :thumbsup:

Great call,the London half of that show was phenomenal although I would've easily attended the Philly half as well. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Never got to see Led Zeppelin- bored with them now man I wish I saw them live. 

That's my all-time favorite band. I recently took my wife through the discography, and she had no idea how great they were. She prefers the bluesy stuff.

I recently put together a Super Coda playlist, inserting stuff chronologically, such as "Sugar Mama," "St. Tristan's Sword" and "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do?"

Bootlegs keep popping up on YouTube, and some of them are pretty great. 

I would have loved to be at that Albert Hall concert in 1970. I'm glad they have the whole thing on video, with great sound quality.

The three that I most would have liked to have seen are the Albert Hall show, Osaka in 1971 and the "How the West Was Won" shows.

They were peaking, and Plant's voice hadn't gone to shat.

While Knebworth in 1979 was shaky, some of those summer 1980 shows in Europe were pretty amazing and an indicator of what could have been.

I paid a scalper $200 in 1980 to secure tickets to their upcoming North American tour, and then Bonham had to go and choke himself on his own vomit.

I was devastated but have come to terms with it, thinking that Bonham or Page likely would not have survived that tour anyway. 

I'd love to hear the material that Page, Jones and Jason Bonham were working on post-O2 show, which I would have paid $10,000 to see but couldn't find a ticket anywhere.

5 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Never got to see Led Zeppelin- bored with them now man I wish I saw them live. 

Closest I got was Plant solo and The Jason Bonham Experience,both were great.Jason even came out and played a 30 minute set with Heart of all Zeppelin.

3 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

This has to be the right answer. 

Oh hello no,.  Talk about an overhyped event that turned legendary, but actually sucked.  Great bands sure.,  Terrible acoustics, awful weather, crowded as fock...terrible accommodations.   That hideous event has turned into something way more than it really was in my opinion.

But to answer the question...I'll take Janis Joplin, Vancouver, 1970.  

1 hour ago, nzoner said:

Closest I got was Plant solo and The Jason Bonham Experience,both were great.Jason even came out and played a 30 minute set with Heart of all Zeppelin.

Saw that at Jazz Fest. 🎵🎵🎵

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Mooney is sorry he missed out on Lilith Fair. 

I had to look this up. Had no clue who they are/were. 

This read like a mooney article. :lol:

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1999-08-09-9908090177-story.html

REAL MEN CAN ENJOY LILITH FAIR TOO -- REALLY

By PHIL LEMOS; Courant Staff Writer
Hartford Courant
Aug 09, 1999 at 12:00 am

I'm a red-blooded, American man. I crave meat and potatoes for dinner. Only a crowbar can pry me away from watching football on a fall Sunday afternoon.

And I attended Lilith Fair.

Conventional widsom dictates, however, that as a male Lilith Fair attendee, an asterisk be now attached to my manhood. I might as well 'fess up to my shortcomings now. Partying with Sarah McLachlan & Co. must mean I have some sort of testosterone deficiency or chemical imbalance.

Or worse. I picture myself with a lighted candle in front of a camera, saying, "My name is Phil, and I'm a Lilith-oholic." And I fear I may be joining a 12-step program any day now, reaffirming my belief in a higher power and asserting that I'll be recovering every day for the rest of my life.

This guilt trip is not of my own making. Every time I told a male friend I had Lilith Fair tickets, he'd glow with a mischievous grin and then chime in with one of the following:

A) "Getting in touch with your feminine side, eh?"

B )  "Scoping out the chicks, I see. Right on!"

C) "What's the matter, your girlfriend's got you by the (insert your own euphemism here)?"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Oh hello no,.  Talk about an overhyped event that turned legendary, but actually sucked.  Great bands sure.,  Terrible acoustics, awful weather, crowded as fock...terrible accommodations.   That hideous event has turned into something way more than it really was in my opinion.

But to answer the question...I'll take Janis Joplin, Vancouver, 1970.  

Exactly. What a disastrous show that must have been to go to. People were trapped in there. Made Grateful Dead concerts look like wholesome, clean family outings.  

10 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I am not a big concert guy like some here but this show was t1ts, start to finish.

Saw them and this at the Saenger in NO. 

11 hours ago, dain11279 said:

Most of the bands at Live Aid didn't get time to do sound checks and ended up sounding like absolute garbage and embarrassed themselves.

Somehow even without a sound check, Queen turned in the most impressive performance. Likely due to a decade of touring together and being real musicians.

Exhibit A: Live Aid 1984 embarrassments ... Led Zeppelin

13 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Um.... Woodstock

Probably the same for me even though 80% of those bands sucked.

7 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

As someone who has been to over five hundred big named band concerts near and far. 1- Rush and Ozzy at the Texas Jam in the Astrodome in the mid eighties. Incredible show. Was Was high as a kite and would love to  revisit that show older and somewhat sober. 2- The Stones at Altamont. Turned out to be the exact opposite of Woodstock. Read it was a great show till the Hells Angels started killing people with pool sticks and knives. 3-Lolapoolza when Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Ministry, and Red Hot Chili Peppers we’re in ther prime. Love to that one again somewhat sober. 

The Hell's Angels kept Mick Jagger from getting assassinated.

5 hours ago, nzoner said:

I saw Plant on his first tour, with Phil Collins on the drums. I was able to walk up near the stage and get like 10 yards from him.

It was a good show, and he credited Collins for counseling him and getting him back on stage. 

8 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

2- as referenced by Don McCain in Bye Bye Miss American Pie:

“As I watched him on the stage

My hands were clenched in fists of rage 

No Angel Born in Hell

Could break that Satans spell” 

He was being critical of the Stones because they kept playing while the mayhem was occurring. 

28 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

The Hell's Angels kept Mick Jagger from getting assassinated.

If I could send you to a memorable concert it would be The Who in Cincinnati in 1979. 

9 hours ago, MDC said:

Clash at Shea Stadium. The concert album Live from Here to Eternity is killer.

That’s a good pick, although I’d like to see them at a more intimate venue, like CBGBs.  I don’t know if the Clash ever played CBGBs, so GNR there in 1987 would be on the list.  Elvis with Johnny Cash opening for him at any random honky tonk in the South…or maybe Johnny Cash debut at Ryman in 1956, the night he met June.  But if I only have one, it would be seeing the Beatles at the Cavern Club.

I'm thinking early AC/DC with Bon Scott.... mid-70's.  Seeing him and youthful Angus/Malcom. That would've been cool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If I could send you to a memorable concert it would be The Who in Cincinnati in 1979. 

I would send you to The Wiggles in 2006 in Disneyland so you'd have an audience to whom you could relate.

13 hours ago, Tusekan Raiders said:

That’s a good pick, although I’d like to see them at a more intimate venue, like CBGBs.  I don’t know if the Clash ever played CBGBs, so GNR there in 1987 would be on the list.  Elvis with Johnny Cash opening for him at any random honky tonk in the South…or maybe Johnny Cash debut at Ryman in 1956, the night he met June.  But if I only have one, it would be seeing the Beatles at the Cavern Club.

Small venues are the way to go. The Beatles at the Cavern was my first thought. The Police, Springsteen, U2, Clash all played bars in DC when I was a bit too young to see them. Allman Brothers live at the Fillmore. The biggest legend around here was Led Zep playing at a local rec center between bigger gigs for extra cash. No one can verify, but the tour promoter says it probably happened. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_Played_Here

52 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I've always wished I could have gone to a Led Zeppelin concert.

You’ll always have Hanson 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You’ll always have Hanson 

They were some good looking girls when they were younger.  Look like dudes now.