Utilit99

Twitter adopts 'poison pill' to prevent Elon Musk takeover

Before Twitter people would write things on bathroom walls. Twitter replaced that wall. 

14 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Great point here - the only true winners of this fiasco were existing Twitter stock holders. Chances are the stock was not gonna get anywhere close to $54 for the next few years. Which explains why they forced Musk to honor his original offer.

Concur completely.

But I also think that the "loss" of twitter is clearly painful to the left.  They really used it well to hide opposing ideas and promote the ideology of leftism.  I think the restoration of that platform to some assemblance of a free speech platform is a devastating loss for the cult of leftism. 

They can still use others though, like Facebook, so the options are out there I guess. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Concur completely.

But I also think that the "loss" of twitter is clearly painful to the left.  They really used it well to hide opposing ideas and promote the ideology of leftism.  I think the restoration of that platform to some assemblance of a free speech platform is a devastating loss for the cult of leftism. 

They can still use others though, like Facebook, so the options are out there I guess. 

WHAT A TWIST!!

research in looking at Tweets found that the algorithms promoted conservative Tweets more than ones from the left.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59011271

Also- I know you said you are not on Facebook or anything like that....but the right and conservative groups are very well represented there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

WHAT A TWIST!!

research in looking at Tweets found that the algorithms promoted conservative Tweets more than ones from the left.

Also- I know you said you are not on Facebook or anything like that....but the right and conservative groups are very well represented there. 

Thank you for sharing the link, the available evidence does not support the conclusion of the writer. I am a little amused that "twitter" staff looked into this and made this discovery.  I mean, let's assume for a moment that this was true....then the "threat" of allowing more conservative views on Twitter which has been raised by many, to include the staff at Twitter, does not seem to jive. 

I appreciate the link, I simply do not receive it as "proof".  I would be more inclined if an outside auditor reached conclusions that are defying the obvious disparity in treatment. 

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

Thank you for sharing the link, the available evidence does not support the conclusion of the writer. I am a little amused that "twitter" staff looked into this and made this discovery.  I mean, let's assume for a moment that this was true....then the "threat" of allowing more conservative views on Twitter which has been raised by many, to include the staff at Twitter, does not seem to jive. 

I appreciate the link, I simply do not receive it as "proof".  I would be more inclined if an outside auditor reached conclusions that are defying the obvious disparity in treatment. 

This is the important point to me in the piece:

The social-media giant said it made the discovery while exploring how its algorithm recommends political content to users.

But it admitted it did not know why, saying that was a "more difficult question to answer".

5 hours ago, craftsman said:

When you are far left, a centrist seems to be far right to you liberrals.

When you are far right, a centrist seems to be far left to you righties.

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

This is the important point to me in the piece:

OK, if you choose to trust the staff at Twitter I think that is fine for you. I find the source of this announcement to be less credible than I am comfortable with. 

39 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

WHAT A TWIST!!

No one complained about what Tweets their algorithm was doing whatever with.  The complaints were about the manual moderation that always resulted in the censoring of conservative views and/or news, such as the Hunter Biden laptop story in the middle of a presidential election.  If Twitter deletes all tweets related to a story, how is their algorithm going to "amplify" that story?  Hint:  It's not.

43 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

WHAT A TWIST!!

people got banned for refusing to abide by leftist policy and no other reason

I guess to you the right conservative is those that go along with leftist ideology

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

No one complained about what Tweets their algorithm was doing whatever with.  The complaints were about the manual moderation that always resulted in the censoring of conservative views and/or news, such as the Hunter Biden laptop story in the middle of a presidential election.  If Twitter deletes all tweets related to a story, how is their algorithm going to "amplify" that story?  Hint:  It's not.

Right, you beat me to it.

Tweets from elected officials and political content from news outlets.  Study doesn't have anything to do with regular users.   That's just a tiny slice of twitter's political content.

Also, only includes algorithms.  Study doesn't have anything to do with moderation.

43 minutes ago, RLLD said:

They really should let an unbiased third party do the research on a matter like this. Maybe the Young Turks? 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Elon Musk has promised free speech, but that doesn’t include criticism or jokes about him.

9 minutes ago, dogcows said:

Elon Musk has promised free speech, but that doesn’t include criticism or jokes about him.

Even if that isn't fake, pretending to be someone else online is not humor.

16 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

people got banned for refusing to abide by leftist policy and no other reason

I guess to you the right conservative is those that go along with leftist ideology

Who got banned because they refused to abide by "leftist policy"?

You got a list?

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I’ll start with Jordan Peterson and Babylon bee

It was "leftist policies" or they broke the TOS?

Was it an overly aggressive moderator? 

Just now, Sean Mooney said:

It was "leftist policies" or they broke the TOS?

Was it an overly aggressive moderator? 

Babylon bee was banned for satire and not conforming to the leftist ideology than a man is a women

jordan Peterson the same

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Babylon bee was banned for satire and not conforming to the leftist ideology than a man is a women

jordan Peterson the same

Uh huh-

You may not promote violence against, threaten, or harass other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, caste, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or serious disease.

I mean- that clearly seems like the posts by Baylon Bee at the very least broke the TOS on posting. Now some of that is in the eyes of the moderator but it seems clear.

Let me ask you this:

Is it exhausting to be involved in a culture war so in depth as you are? Also, what are you hoping to gain- is it just "I want to be able to make fun of transgender people"? Is it more than that? How has your life changed because Babylon Bee made a joke and Twitter termed it in violation of their posting policy?

6 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Uh huh-

I mean- that clearly seems like the posts by Baylon Bee at the very least broke the TOS on posting. Now some of that is in the eyes of the moderator but it seems clear.

Let me ask you this:

Is it exhausting to be involved in a culture war so in depth as you are? Also, what are you hoping to gain- is it just "I want to be able to make fun of transgender people"? Is it more than that? How has your life changed because Babylon Bee made a joke and Twitter termed it in violation of their posting policy?

Like i said. Deadnaming and conforming that a man can be a woman is a leftist ideology. I don’t care that anyone is banned or not.   Also keyword is harass  who determines what harassing is?  A leftist sitting at a keyboard  blaire white a tranny doesn’t consider it harassment 

I watch podcasts. I’ve never used Twitter and never will im just pointing out facts. 

and yes it’s against their policy. But Twitter has claimed not to follow leftist ideology. 

I come from a time when nothing was off limits and believe that nothing should ever be off limits.

17 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

WHAT A TWIST!!

Honest question - Do you actually believe this?      You're smart enough to know how data and analysis can be massaged and manipulated.    Some times you just have to rely on what you see with your own eyes.    What are they telling you?    

So if the TOS adhere to leftist ideology, it’s not leftist ideology, just the TOS. I have that right? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

thats what centrists believe

How dizzy they must be. How come they never want to own anything? The TOS are obviously leftist . Just say so. 

It’s funny, all these Twitter tech people that are losing their jobs are going to be looking for work in tech and realize tech would rather hire someone from another country here on a work visa.  

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s funny, all these Twitter tech people that are losing their jobs are going to be looking for work in tech and realize tech would rather hire someone from another country here on a work visa.  

If they are really good at what they do then they should have no issues getting another job.  Not only that, they are getting 3 months severance pay.  Hard for the average Joe to have much sympathy for them.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

If they are really good at what they do then they should have no issues getting another job.  Not only that, they are getting 3 months severance pay.  Hard for the average Joe to have much sympathy for them.

And a lot of them aren’t even doing tech work. They are just bloat. But I have read that the tech industry is downsizing across the board, so it won’t just be Twitter. 

I don’t blame him even a little. Chances are these are mostly leftist devotees and will undermine him at every turn 

It is entirely wise to clean that place out

If only Trump had done that. People have the notion that Trump didn’t care what others thought. Yes he did. It was his biggest flaw. He was a great counter puncher, but when it came time to really clean the swamp up he backed off. 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Wrong.  I work in big tech, we'd rather hire Americans.

54 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I don’t blame him even a little. Chances are these are mostly leftist devotees and will undermine him at every turn 

It is entirely wise to clean that place out

A now former Twitter employee complained on social media that he got fired "while sleeping" after Elon Musk ordered company-wide layoffs on Friday to get Twitter back in the black. 

Like this.

Yep. That's how it works if you are fired when you have software engineering access. Complete cut off with no advanced notice. If this guy doesn't understand this, then he's a dumb software engineer. Or a complete snowflake. Or both. Which sounds like the case.

33 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Wrong.  I work in big tech, we'd rather hire Americans.

I’m sure they would rather hire competent Americans that work for less and are in this country at their whim. 

5 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Who got banned because they refused to abide by "leftist policy"?

You got a list?

5 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I’ll start with Jordan Peterson and Babylon bee

*suspended