Sign in to follow this  
TommyGavin

Favorite supermarket

Spermoff but I post it because my local is a few blocks away and super convenient- King Kullen and it closing soon. Curious to see what becomes of the building. Lots of community rumors. One of the rumors is a Trader Joe’s

I think it’s totally regional.  

For me (North Carolina) its 1.Harris Teeter  2.Wegmans and 3.Publix

I do not consider Traders Joes a Supermarket.  

Fishtown IGA! Best in store music and an excellent bottle shop. Plus the old ladies at the deli counter flirt with me. :wub: 

BJ’s and Shoprite. Acme sucks 

2 minutes ago, MDC said:

Fishtown IGA! Best in store music and an excellent bottle shop. Plus the old ladies at the deli counter flirt with me. :wub: 

Wait, ya'll have IGA's.  So do we.  :lol:

Best bakery in town.  Kinda skechy though. 

3 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Piggly Wiggly.

Not many left, but when I see one I stop.  I even have a t-shirt.  :pointstosky:

• Like 1

Publix in Florida is the best I’ve ever been in. 

3 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

H-E-B

Central Market  ;)

There was also a Wegman's around Arlington that was really good.  

8 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Wait, ya'll have IGA's.  So do we.  :lol:

Best bakery in town.  Kinda skechy though. 

Used to be a Thriftway until 5-6 years ago and sketchy. Now it’s an IGA. Nothing special but the craft bottle shop is appreciated and the music is hit after hit. Plus they treat me like Norm in Cheers.

13 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I think it’s totally regional  

I do not consider Traders Joes a Supermarket.  

Totally regional. 

I don’t consider TJs a supermarket either but I would like one closer to me then the 15 minute drive to a crowded area with a Costco/Total Wine/Old Navy and others in the same parking lot. 

13 minutes ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

Piggly Wiggly.

Was waiting for this response. 

21 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Is that an acronym? 

Howard E Butt the founders initials or Here Everything's Better. Texas based grocery store.

• Like 1

They call them Kroger around here, I think its the same as Harris Teeter/Fred Myer

2 minutes ago, shorepatrol said:

Costco

I do not cosider it a supermarket.  We need to make some rules here. 

3 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

I do not cosider it a supermarket.  We need to make some rules here. 

That is the only place I go to for food.  Fock your "rules' b!tch :banana:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Central Market  ;)

This. Central Market is awesome and I miss it 

Hy-Vee

More expensive than Walmart, Target, Cub, & Aldi, but I love the fact that I don't feel like I'm in a different country while shopping.

12 hours ago, MDC said:

Are you talking about the supermarket under the EL subway, that went out of business maybe 20 years ago, and has been boarded up since because nobody want to use that horrific location? 

12 hours ago, bostonlager said:

They call them Kroger around here, I think its the same as Harris Teeter/Fred Myer

Fred Meyer might be the same, but Harris Teeter isn't.  They were an NC-based chain that got bought by Kroger but Kroger hasn't changed them too much yet.  Maybe in 5-10 years or so.

16 hours ago, Bert said:

Central Market  ;)

Big fan of central market. I really enjoyed going there. Probably did my best cooking back in the day just by shopping there and getting inspired. Killer deli too.

5 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Killer deli too.

Did you try and steal a bag of chips?

• Haha 1

From my personal experience:

Best:

H-E-B/Central Market

Good:

Publix

Wegmans

Trader Joes

Whole Foods

Average:

Kroger/Kings Sooper

Albertsons

Below Average:

Safeway

IGA

Piggly Wiggly

Wal-Mart Grocery

Randall's

There was a Houston chain. I think it got taken over by kroger? But they were great. What I remember specifically, they made fresh tortillas in house. Freaking loved that.

@Bert  -it was right up the street off of Westheimer by what I think was your first apartment? Right by the beltway. There was a Luthers catty corner from there.

F***, now I miss luther's. I could literally drink their barbecue sauce like a damn beverage. 

I can honestly say that I do not have a favorite.  Wegmans and H-Mart (Asian Supermarket) are both great for produce when the local farmers markets do not have fresh-from-the-field veggies.  Shop Rite is best for day-to-day shopping such as proteins, canned goods, dairy and deli, but the Shop Rite in my town is new and is SOOOO much better than some of the other ones in the county, so I could see where someone might say that Shop Rite sucks.  Whole Foods is good for special occasion food shopping.   Stop and Shop has the best prices.   

I've also been to most of the stores in posts above and agree that Harris Teeter and H-E-B are usually very nice.  I would say the same thing for Publix, but I went to a Publix in inland central Florida that was a sh!thole.   Agree that Acme ad Walmart both suck.   Kroger is also not so great.   Genuardi's in Philly and NJ is another good store.  Also, I still miss A&P.

13 hours ago, easilyscan said:

Hy-Vee

More expensive than Walmart, Target, Cub, & Aldi, but I love the fact that I don't feel like I'm in a different country while shopping.

This. 

Solid food and a good old bunch of white folks working at it. Warms my heart

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

There was a Houston chain. I think it got taken over by kroger? But they were great. What I remember specifically, they made fresh tortillas in house. Freaking loved that.

@Bert  -it was right up the street off of Westheimer by what I think was your first apartment? Right by the beltway. There was a Luthers catty corner from there.

F***, now I miss luther's. I could literally drink their barbecue sauce like a damn beverage. 

Was it Randall's?

I gotta say when we vacationed in Montauk for 15 years straight - first few years we brought a weeks worth of food for 2 meals a day (breakfast was included in hotel package). Then I realized the IGA had everything and at regular prices - not inflated vacation prices. I’d take the walk everyday for that days meals. 

Then I’d cross the street to the busiest 7-11 in the states to get coffee and or beer. Google it. 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:36 PM, MTSkiBum said:

From my personal experience:

Best:

H-E-B/Central Market

No doubt....also like Wynn and Kroger Signature too. 

Maybe biased by my college poorness but my favorite was probably Price Rite.  They are related to Shop Rite but are basically a bigger Aldi with more name brand products.