Ultra Max Power

Amazon Prime - $150 a year - Why should I keep it?

I've been a prime member longer than I can remember. $99 annual fee, no problem it made sense.

Now I'm staring at a $150 renewal and questioning if its worth it.  The wife is a hard yes, so it's a yes, because she buys a lot of crap off the site.

I hardly ever use their streaming as I don't see a lot of good content there.

Curious to hear the group on this matter.  Amazon Prime jump the shark at $150 a year?

Just now, Ultra Max Power said:

Damn. Totally forgot about this. 

Yes... But also no. 

Yeah, I'm with you.  I thought it was a bargain at $99, especially since I was able to add my GF to the account so she could also get free shipping.   But $150.  Not sure if it's worth it.  Don't care that much about TNF, certainly not enough for it to factor in to the decision.  Mine expires in another month or so.  Will have to think about it.

If the main thing you use is fast delivery, maybe not.  

You might consider Walmart+ for $100 which has a lot of the same stuff, (and now includes Paramount+ streaming) and also free fresh grocery delivery from Walmart instead of Whole Paycheck

My account says $139, but that price may update when it renews in May. I don't watch the streaming service, but I'm the most impatient person to ever exist. Any price they want to ask is worth it to me for fast delivery. 

Fast delivery is great, but it also feels like 75 % of their fast delivery is knockoff stuff from China.

Most name brand quality things take an average amount of time to ship. 

9 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

My account says $139, but that price may update when it renews in May. I don't watch the streaming service, but I'm the most impatient person to ever exist. Any price they want to ask is worth it to me for fast delivery. 

We were 139 pre tax, but I rounded that up.

26 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

If the main thing you use is fast delivery, maybe not.  

You might consider Walmart+ for $100 which has a lot of the same stuff, (and now includes Paramount+ streaming) and also free fresh grocery delivery from Walmart instead of Whole Paycheck

I might look into this for the paramount+ angle. I remember a show or two advertised there that if be interested in. 

Walmart and fresh grocery however is a hard pass. Their produce is bad...

I didn't want to, but whatever, if you can't afford to make Bezos richer, why are we even here?

1 minute ago, Ultra Max Power said:

I might look into this for the paramount+ angle. I remember a show or two advertised there that if be interested in. 

Walmart and fresh grocery however is a hard pass. Their produce is bad...

Well you don't have to get the fresh stuff...

Has there ever been a year in your life you wouldn't have spent more than $150 on shipping had you not had Prime? 

I'm on my girlfriends account. She uses Amazon Prime almost a few times a week it seems. I wouldn't buy it for myself but I use it from time to time.

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Has there ever been a year in your life you wouldn't have spent more than $150 on shipping had you not had Prime? 

I think a lot of it still has free shipping over a certain amount, you just can't get it in 2 days

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Absolutely.  Before Prime I would just wait a little longer to order stuff because for much of their stuff they offered free shipping if you spent like $35.  It wasn't two day but who cares.  So yeah, still got free shipping on most stuff even before Prime.

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Me yes, wife no. I swear I don't know what all she buys. I order like 15 things off Amazon all year. 

It takes a bit of experimenting, but I like the subscribe and save feature. Once you dial in the times, it does help save a few bucks on cat food, paper towels, kitty litter. 

• Like 2

For me it’s always been the best value. Almost anything I want to buy with free shipping, lots of movies, lots of shows, tons of music, all kinds of podcasts and with my credit card I get a bunch of points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

For me it’s always been the best value. Almost anything I want to buy with free shipping, lots of movies, lots of shows, tons of music, all kinds of podcasts and with my credit card I get a bunch of points. 

I flip their digital content once in a while, but come up empty almost always. Their original shows don't connect with me.

Now if Amazon would offer a wait 2 extra days for delivery and you can rent any old movie you want feature, I'd be totally supportive 

Streaming video, streaming music, and free shipping. Still a great deal.

Mine shows $139 for reoccurring subscription. Was $119. 

Vort The Fork!?!?!

It costs that much?

Wifey didn't tell me that

2 minutes ago, Reality said:

Streaming video, streaming music, and free shipping. Still a great deal.

Mine shows $139 for reoccurring subscription. Was $119. 

Oh......it's the Free Shipping

makes sense now

I guess I don't use the features much. We Pandora music, Hulu/Netflix movies already. Amazon just seems redundant in my eyes.

Their streaming movies/videos is probably ranked the lowest of the bunch. Although TNF is awesome 1-3 times a year

1 hour ago, Ultra Max Power said:

I flip their digital content once in a while, but come up empty almost always. Their original shows don't connect with me.

Now if Amazon would offer a wait 2 extra days for delivery and you can rent any old movie you want feature, I'd be totally supportive 

I like a decent amount of their original shows and a couple of the movies

Jack Ryan

Goliath (different thread on that here)

Bosch

Marvelous Ms Maisel

Sneaky Pete

Thirteen Lives

Catastrophe

Man in the High Castle was OK

plan to watch Coach Prime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ultra Max Power said:

I've been a prime member longer than I can remember. $99 annual fee, no problem it made sense.

Now I'm staring at a $150 renewal and questioning if its worth it.  The wife is a hard yes, so it's a yes, because she buys a lot of crap off the site.

I hardly ever use their streaming as I don't see a lot of good content there.

Curious to hear the group on this matter.  Amazon Prime jump the shark at $150 a year?

I guess if you don't use, you don't use it.   I think it's still about 50% too cheap.   IMO the streaming is worth it, and it's one of the cheaper options even if you just spend the $150/year for that.  Aren't NF, HBO and others about $15/month, or $180/year?   For what I watch, Prime is >>>>>>>>>NF.   I barely ever find anything there I'd watch.  

IMO if you order things more than a couple times a month, the free shipping alone is worth it as well, so to get both for that price, I think it's well worth it.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Jack Ryan

Bosch

Marvelous Ms Maisel

Sneaky Pete

Thirteen Lives

Catastrophe

I praise The Expanse up and down.   Loved that series.   Not sure if it's still on Prime, but for awhile The Americans was on there, and that was another of my favorite shows.  

Sears would like to remind you that online shopping is just a fad and eveyone will continue to walk into one of their brick and mortar stores for dependable brand names like Craftsman.

• Like 1

My parents are on mine - they literally get packages delivered every day. Toss in my mom loves watching Prime Video - I've no issue shelling out $150. 

It was a no for me at $99 🤷🏻‍♂️

when I order, I always hit the $35 minimum or whatever it is to get free shipping. My stuff generally gets here within a day or 2, very often next day. I don’t want Amazon prime tv and I have a bootleg streaming site for all TNF games anyway. If I tell Alexa to play music, she’s been more or less playing my exact requests for months now and I don’t care about an ad every 5th song. 

but if you were already someone willing to pay $99, I don’t see why $4.25/month would deter you. Then again that’s how they get ya 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BuckSwope said:

I guess if you don't use, you don't use it.   I think it's still about 50% too cheap.   IMO the streaming is worth it, and it's one of the cheaper options even if you just spend the $150/year for that.  Aren't NF, HBO and others about $15/month, or $180/year?   For what I watch, Prime is >>>>>>>>>NF.   I barely ever find anything there I'd watch.  

IMO if you order things more than a couple times a month, the free shipping alone is worth it as well, so to get both for that price, I think it's well worth it.  

Yeah Netflix has the jumped the shark imo. Again it's another one I have voted to cancel, but the wife and daughters love a couple things on there.

Once in a while I'll find something I like on there. Dahmer was good as was some other mini series about hunting gold in Alaska.

I can't watch subtitled movies, so nexflix loses me often when I turn on a foreign made film. 

Legit if nexflix goes up any more, it's gone. 

5 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

It was a no for me at $99 🤷🏻‍♂️

when I order, I always hit the $35 minimum or whatever it is to get free shipping. My stuff generally gets here within a day or 2, very often next day. I don’t want Amazon prime tv and I have a bootleg streaming site for all TNF games anyway. If I tell Alexa to play music, she’s been more or less playing my exact requests for months now and I don’t care about an ad every 5th song. 

but if you were already someone willing to pay $99, I don’t see why $4.25/month would deter you. Then again that’s how they get ya 

Yeah, that's whats getting me. I do Hulu+ for live tv, nexflix and Amazon. That's basically $100 a month for tv services. 

I used to just do amazon and Netflix and had a box for the free basic channels. That did the trick 80% of the time. The rest I'd stream. Also back then Amazon and Netflix combined for like $20 a month. 

The ease of searching and finding just about any product you want from your phone on one app? Totally worth it. The amount of money you save on gas by not having to drive to the store probably pays for the yearly subscription by itself. 
The changes to their music platform make it irrelevant to me know, but Prime Video still has good content (lower than the others, I agree). The new Jack Ryan season recently came out and I’m looking forward to seeing that. 

• Like 1

I was in our NY office a few months back. I left my work shoes there. I used my work fedex account to ship. They charged me back for the shipping. $38 bucks :mad: 

Yeah Netflix has the jumped the shark imo. Again it's another one I have voted to cancel, but the wife and daughters love a couple things on there.

Once in a while I'll find something I like on there. Dahmer was good as was some other mini series about hunting gold in Alaska.

I can't watch subtitled movies, so nexflix loses me often when I turn on a foreign made film. 

They used to dominate, but that was before all the other companies started seeing the $$ and keeping their content to themselves.  NF tries with original content, but I think it's just about always a notch below the original movies and shows from HBO and Prime.   About the most I find is an occasional documentary or stand-up special.  And like you, I am overruled in my house by my kids and wife.  No way I keep it if it's just me. 

If I could only have one streaming service it would be HBO Max.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

I use my moms Snap/ food stamp card and get half off the price a month.:banana::first:

Snap...is a code for what?  stupid neighbor always poor??

13 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Jack Ryan

Bosch

Marvelous Ms Maisel

Sneaky Pete

Thirteen Lives

Catastrophe

I'd add The Boys too.  Haven't watched but my coworker raved about the Lord of the Rings thing, at 80+M per episode, I think I need to see it.

I still have my original netflix subscription.  Once a week, I get my little red envelope and watch something on Bluray.  Streaming has gotten better and better, but streaming compression still irritates me, so for anything I really want to get the full effect I want to see it on Bluray.