Sign in to follow this  
League Champion

White Privilege

Just now, peenie said:

If I didn’t mention it or make a big deal of it then of course I had to say to myself, as always, that it could’ve happened to anyone. I will list them:

1. I went into a store and picked up a little spoon, similar to the one I’d purchased the day before in a different store, and the store clerk said, “You know, that’s a caviar spoon!”  I said, “thank you.” He then asked me where I was from and I told him originally from NJ but I live in Atlanta now. Then he told me that he used to live in Atlanta and blah, blah, blah. I asked him how he now liked living in St. Simons. After his answer, I walked to another part of the store but overheard him call to the person in the back of the store, who I could see, and he told them to watch me. I still bought the spoon because I collect them. 

Holy you’re serious 🤣🤣

I have no idea what a phucking caviar spoon looks like and I’m a 50 year old Lilly white guy he was just being friendly and informative ffs!!!

1 minute ago, peenie said:

That wasn’t the racism! The racist part was him calling the other clerk in the back telling her to watch me as I shopped! As if I was going to steal!!!!! 

What if you misheard him?

23 minutes ago, peenie said:

That wasn’t the racism! The racist part was him calling the other clerk in the back telling her to watch me as I shopped! As if I was going to steal!!!!! 

That's not racism.

Are y’all not tired of this whole “racist” thing by now?  It’s so exhausting. 

Deleting posts is privilege.

11 hours ago, Dizkneelande said:

I went into a store and picked up a little spoon, similar to the one I’d purchased the day before in a different store, and the store clerk said, “You know, that’s a caviar spoon!”  I said, “thank you.” He then asked me where I was from and I told him originally from NJ but I live in Atlanta now. Then he told me that he used to live in Atlanta and blah, blah, blah. I asked him how he now liked living in St. Simons. After his answer, I walked to another part of the store but overheard him call to the person in the back of the store, who I could see, and he told them to watch me. I still bought the spoon because I collect them. 

This sounds like a lie.  If you’re at a souvenir shop why would the proprietor feel compelled to point out to a worker that you’re from out of town?  Most of his customers would be.

11 hours ago, Dizkneelande said:

Holy you’re serious 🤣🤣

Maybe she looks like Marie Shrader from Breaking bad.  She was a known spoon stealer.  Have to keep an eye on her. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, peenie said:

I didn’t, he specifically said, watch her, and he even said, she’s from out of town. 
Here is how I consoled myself. Back when I was 19 my friend used to work at Seaside Beach in NJ at a swimsuit/souvenir shop. She said they made tons of profit but they also had lots of theft. So, just thought, he was doing his job. But, I mean, It’s insulting, sad and it’s called racial profiling. While he’s watching me some old whole lady was probably stealing. 

Maybe he was profiling the spoon.  Those are tiny, easily concealable, and are an item frequently shoplifted becasue they also have a resale market.  Had you been interested in the cigar store indian he may have had no issue.  Maybe he does the exact same thing for anybody walking around the store with a small, expensive, easily concealable item.

Of course, maybe not.

10 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Are y’all not tired of this whole “racist” thing by now?  It’s so exhausting. 

Not for the people who use it.  Imagine if you could pretend all of your failures were due to a mysterious and invisible force in the world.  You might find it reassuring that its "not you" but instead someone or something else that prevents you.

I get why this is appealing to some folks. 

2 hours ago, peenie said:

My thoughts exactly. I think he said it to her in order to be politically correct. It wasn’t souvenir shop, it was a boutique that sold artsy type home goods stuff.

Catering to tourists.  If this happened at all the shop owner was probably trying to seize the opportunity to sell you more worthless junk.

3 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Maybe she looks like Marie Shrader from Breaking bad.  She was a known spoon stealer.  Have to keep an eye on her. 

That was such a pointless plot line in BB. :mad:

1 hour ago, DonS said:

That was such a pointless plot line in BB. :mad:

Agreed.  the only plot point where i found her remotel;y interesting was were she gave Hank a hand job to convince him he was well enough to come home from then hospital.

15 hours ago, peenie said:

He didn’t say it like, there is a customer that may need assistance. 
I’ve worked in retail, I understood quite clearly what happened. 

It wasn't racism. 

"Hey, watch her. She's AA and might steal."  

"Hey, watch her. She's from out of town." 

If your perception was that it was racism, I am not sure what to tell you. Pretty sure that if someone said "Hello" to you wrong you'd accuse them of being racist. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, peenie said:

You’re gaslighting me. If I told you someone was following me throughout the store you’d say they were just waiting to see if I needed help. 

And you're pulling a Smolett.  Just stop.

8 minutes ago, peenie said:

You guys don’t believe me, fine. I won’t share anymore. 

Do I believe the facts as you've stated them?  I have no reason not to.  Do I believe they were based on racism?  Common sense and your posting history leaves me highly skeptical. I suspect your interpretation of the events is skewed.   I wish you hadn't deleted the other two instances of racism you said you subject to.  They might have given insight in to your state of mind during these events and helped me formulate a more concrete opinion.

2 hours ago, peenie said:

And you’re rationalizing. He didn’t say it that way. It wasn’t a kind helpful tone. 

Typical.  Racism is the only possibility.  I genuinely wonder what it must be like going through life hoping to be wronged by other people.

I experience racism on almost every trip to NYC, but whatever, you can’t make people not be stupid, y’know?

18 hours ago, peenie said:

You’re gaslighting me. If I told you someone was following me throughout the store you’d say they were just waiting to see if I needed help. 

No, I'd say that they were following you through a store, and I'd think it was weird.

I wouldn't assume it was because you're black. YOU would assume it's because you're black. 

I've had people eye me and follow me around a store as well. It was a similar shop to the one you mentioned; little artsy kind of store with home stuff; pillows, sayings painted on wood, crap like that. I was hanging around the jewelry area, several little trinket things around. They watched me very closely. I didn't assume it was because of my skin tone. 

18 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

No, I'd say that they were following you through a store, and I'd think it was weird.

I wouldn't assume it was because you're black. YOU would assume it's because you're black. 

I've had people eye me and follow me around a store as well. It was a similar shop to the one you mentioned; little artsy kind of store with home stuff; pillows, sayings painted on wood, crap like that. I was hanging around the jewelry area, several little trinket things around. They watched me very closely. I didn't assume it was because of my skin tone. 

https://www.henryatkinssports.com/services

A lot of college teams bring in consultants to help their potential NFL draftees do their best to prepare and become more appealing to teams. 

Obviously sure fire first round picks can have lots of warts and flaws, but their talent and potential is overwhelming. But if you are 4th round graded draft prospect or less, some glitch or bad situation in your interviews or approach might cost you a lot of opportunities. 

Most of these consulting firms go over some basics that many young athletes don't know or have never been exposed to before. How to interview, how to dress, how to ask good questions during an interview, how to make a good first impression, how to handle the media, how to handle a difficult question, how to address a trouble spot in one's past and make it look less damaging from a character standpoint. 

Some prospects don't understand to go and buy a nice suit, get a haircut, have good eye contact, give a firm handshake, thank people for their time, etc, etc. 

The more "mainstream" someone looks, the more they are left alone. A young Asian teenager that looks about college aged with a Harvard sweatshirt and backpack and clean cut coming in with their grandmother, that's going to draw less attention as a "threat" 

But lots of young black people, if the shop owner has had pervasive and consistent bad experiences with many, it colors their view for the future. 

Here's what I can say for sure - There's a large cross section of the black community that does absolutely ZERO to make things easier for the rest of African Americans in this country who are just trying to get by and live peacefully and don't want conflict with anyone. 

It doesn't always make it "right", but it's how it works. 

Maybe @peenie doesn't look mainstream enough. It's not a requirement that she looks a specific way.  But there are ways to look that help your odds to be perceived a certain way. Be in a good shape, have nice professional clothes, have a modest hairstyle or hair cut, look like you have education/wealth and the general tone/theme/appearance all matters. Now one can do all that and still be subjected to possible racism anyway. But I still hold that you just can't change the world, no matter how much you hate it, you can only change yourself.

I'm an old man now. But if I looked like Chris Hemsworth, people in general would treat me better. That's not racism. If I looked like young Denzel Washington, I'd also be treated better. That's also not sign of non racism. 

Best answer I can give is it's too late in America. There is no way to bridge the racial divide, real or imagined or perceived. It's just easier if ALL races just lived in separated pockets within their own people in peace and leave the other groups alone. Blacks have their own cities. Whites have their own cities. Asians have their own cities. Hispanics/Latinos have their own cities. LGBT have their own cities. I'm actually not offended when blacks want their "black only" spaces when it's permissible by actual law. ( No more than I'm offended when some group wants to have their own private community)  What's offensive is when those who do that pretends the law doesn't exist when they violate it. 

Definition of White Privilege:  A fictitious creation by Democrat elites to push a racial divide to keep black folks voting for Democrats.  See also, Russia Collusion & White Supremacy.

39 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Definition of White Privilege:  A fictitious creation by Democrat elites to push a racial divide to keep black folks voting for Democrats.  See also, Russia Collusion & White Supremacy.

Close. It was in reaction to the “one pct” being called out. Now all whites are equally responsible, even those with no power.  

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Close. It was in reaction to the “one pct” being called out. Now all whites are equally responsible, even those with no power.  

True

On 5/22/2023 at 3:28 PM, peenie said:

You guys don’t believe me, fine. I won’t share anymore. 

Thank you Jesus! 

On 5/21/2023 at 5:18 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hanging around a hospital bike rack doing nothing? Looking to pull a scam, intimidate someone weaker? 110 pct thugs. Where are they now? Why aren’t they coming forward? Shutup Mall Rat.  You don’t know city life.  

You were saying?

On 5/21/2023 at 4:24 PM, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

they tried to steal a bike from a pregnant lady

I am gonna go thug absolutely

Aged like milk

1 hour ago, dogcows said:

Citi Bike Karen had her say, now here’s back to the kids’ side of the story.

https://newsone.com/4592993/sarah-jane-comrie-update-citi-bike-teens-mother-speaks-out/

This sounds like a reasonable explanation. Both his story and hers feel true. Looks like a big misunderstanding and argument over e-bike protocol.

I guess not all e-biked are created equal, the new ones are better and thus, more coveted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dizkneelande said:

Robynn Europe = well named

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dogcows said:

Citi Bike Karen had her say, now here’s back to the kids’ side of the story.

https://newsone.com/4592993/sarah-jane-comrie-update-citi-bike-teens-mother-speaks-out/

So after she puts the bike back he takes it at 725-731 and it doesn’t move, re racks it, probably the second she left, until 759 and then uses it  Paints a picture 

why is the kid’s family running a gofundme asking for 125k?

• Like 1

I was in the gym the other day.  I was looking for a new shaker, and I'm pretty particular about the design, because I like the shaker to do a good job of breaking up powder and mixing it with the water and be easily cleanable.  I like a nice wide mesh around .2 inch square.

As I passed the front desk and turn into the shop, the receptionist was flirting with some guy, and as I walked in she literally said, "go watch that guy," and the guy literally followed me around the little shop.  I'm not black, but I assume it's because I'm ugly and it's looksism.