Sign in to follow this  
GettnHuge

Engagement Ring cost

So how much did you geeks spend on an engagement ring for your ladies?

Did you let them pick it out?

Do you think 13k for a ring is reasonable, specially if it's a once in a lifetime deal of course?

$13k? :lol:

I spent about $4k and she was more than happy. But she isn't the materialistic sort really. Then the wedding was about $8k. That included 75 guests, open bar, meal for everyone, etc. So $13k for a ring sounds insane to me.

On the other hand, we split up after 7 years of marriage so :dunno:

You can buy 1/2 carat 14k white gold engagement rings for around $500.00. This is what poor Oklahoma redneck like myself would do. :cheers:

Nikki's worth it. She's paying fer it so go with it ya doosh. That extra cash for her hand size is on you though.

From experience I can only tell you what I did.

I offered my future possible wife that in instead of an engagement ring I would make her an engagement couch. Seriously...I really said that to her. She was an interior designer...I figured she would be thrilled with the idea.

In all actuallity, she though that it was kinda cute until I told her that I would really be the one making / handcrafting / welding the 'engagement couch'.

So whomever this poor soul is that you are trying to ruin your life with by proposing, I only have this sage advice to offer you:

Ask her if she would rather have an engagement couch instead of a ring. Trust me...This will work :cheers:

From experience I can only tell you what I did.

I offered my future possible wife that in instead of an engagement ring I would make her an engagement couch. Seriously...I really said that to her. She was an interior designer...I figured she would be thrilled with the idea.

In all actuallity, she though that it was kinda cute until I told her that I would really be the one making / handcrafting / welding the 'engagement couch'.

So whomever this poor soul is that you are trying to ruin your life with by proposing, I only have this sage advice to offer you:

Ask her if she would rather have an engagement couch instead of a ring. Trust me...This will work :cheers:

:thumbsup: fat girls will almost always pick the couch.

People don't understand how rich you are. Two months salary (or income).

I always figured you do way better than than 80k, though.

Who knew being a dooshbag paid so well?

Who knew being a dooshbag paid so well?

Are you saying that you don't make 300k + a year? :blink:

Just out of curiousity, do you chase ambulances by snow shoes or dog sled?

When you propose, let your future wife know that karma will cause her to have a miscarriage if she tries to have a baby.

Well if she has really big hands then maybe you really do need to shell out 13k - on the extra gold not diamonds....

I spent half that including both wedding bands but then again that was over 16 years ago :cry:

:wall:

When you propose, let your future wife know that karma will cause her to have a miscarriage if she tries to have a baby.

A miscarriage is just nature's way of saying something isn't right with the pregnancy and dealing with the situation and it's really not that big of a deal and it happens all the time. Speaking as someone who has had one already and every single one of my girl friends who has tried to get pregnant has miscarried at least once.

:ducks: All the religious people are probably appalled by my bluntness and wondering why I am not emotional about a human life being lost. Whatever. It happens. Like I said... it's nature. The only time it really sucks is if you are trying really hard to have a kid for a long time and then you finally get pregnant, then miscarry.

Either way, that's not very nice to wish a miscarriage on someone you don't know considering you probably think it's a big deal, is it?

I bought mungette a 1 karat for about 5.5k from a wholesaler, got appraised for over 11. That was only two years ago, you're getting robbed

I got married 17+ years ago. The future Mrs. had been hinting that she expected a big rock. She wanted 2+ carats, perfect clarity. So, rather than buying something and disappointing her, I said that, since this is going to be "our" money moving forward, that she and I should pick out the ring together.

We went to a high-end jeweler that sold a lot of diamonds, so their prices were good (not at the mall). Picked out a nice setting and stones. The middle diamond was only 1.5 carats with good clarity (VVS1?), but she was happy. I think that we ended up ponying up like $8k at the time, which was probably at the high-end of what we wanted to pay, but she has worn it every day and still is happy with it.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is to understand what her expectations are. If she has friends with huge rocks and you give her a small one, then you are in for some problems. If she is expecting something reasonably priced and you empty the bank, then she will hold that over your head as well. This will be your first large purchase together (maybe?), so discuss it. It is not the most romantic thing to discuss in advance, but over the long-haul, it is better to start off your partnership with a common understanding.

A miscarriage is just nature's way of saying something isn't right with the pregnancy and dealing with the situation and it's really not that big of a deal and it happens all the time.

Congressman Todd Akin thanks you for your support.

I got married 17+ years ago. The future Mrs. had been hinting that she expected a big rock. She wanted 2+ carats, perfect clarity. So, rather than buying something and disappointing her, I said that, since this is going to be "our" money moving forward, that she and I should pick out the ring together.

We went to a high-end jeweler that sold a lot of diamonds, so their prices were good (not at the mall). Picked out a nice setting and stones. The middle diamond was only 1.5 carats with good clarity (VVS1?), but she was happy. I think that we ended up ponying up like $8k at the time, which was probably at the high-end of what we wanted to pay, but she has worn it every day and still is happy with it.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is to understand what her expectations are. If she has friends with huge rocks and you give her a small one, then you are in for some problems. If she is expecting something reasonably priced and you empty the bank, then she will hold that over your head as well. This will be your first large purchase together (maybe?), so discuss it. It is not the most romantic thing to discuss in advance, but over the long-haul, it is better to start off your partnership with a common understanding.

OK so here's the deal....

Just bear with me.

I asked him to start this thread because I was looking up rings and I was kinda shocked that the rings I liked were $13K+ so I wanted to know if that was a normal amount of money to spend on an engagement ring. I was looking at Tiffany rings though so there is probably about a 30% mark up just for having the name on it.

None of my close friends have any money so it's not about showing off. I just want something I like which is a platinum band and I only want a one karat diamond.

And yes this is obviously an investment that we need to take into account for the future and not empty the bank accounts to buy a ring.

The other thing to consider here is it's not outside the realm of possibility that I somehow manage to lose the damn thing within a week of me having it. So I've already discussed getting a replica ring that I actually wear around to make sure I don't lose the real one. But then maybe I should just get a replica of the one I want and forego getting the real one all together? That is probably the wisest move but I really want a nice ring even if I don't wear it except on special occasions.

A miscarriage is just nature's way of saying something isn't right with the pregnancy and dealing with the situation and it's really not that big of a deal and it happens all the time. Speaking as someone who has had one already and every single one of my girl friends who has tried to get pregnant has miscarried at least once.

:ducks: All the religious people are probably appalled by my bluntness and wondering why I am not emotional about a human life being lost. Whatever. It happens. Like I said... it's nature. The only time it really sucks is if you are trying really hard to have a kid for a long time and then you finally get pregnant, then miscarry.

Either way, that's not very nice to wish a miscarriage on someone you don't know considering you probably think it's a big deal, is it?

:lol:

Well it used to be 3 mo worth of salary which is what i was being told, but i wasnt going to spend 36k on a ring. I ended up paying 5k. Had a jeweler hand craft a copy of a tiffany ring. On tiffany.com the ring was 11k, got almost the same thing for less than half. I had the ring appraised immediately after for $7500.

Now it all depends on who you want to buy the ring for. Women vary wildly between taste and expectations. I didnt talk to my wife about marriage at all before i bought the ring. I wanted it to be a complete surprise. Some women would rather pick out the ring they want but my wife absolutely loved me picking out the ring and using my own judgement.

When it comes to the actual diamond you have to learn about cut clarity and color. I ended up with a 1k diamond with the second best color rating with a very good cut and good clarity. You dont want a diamond with any hint of yellow, it takes away from the ring. I know my wife wouldnt be happy if i spent too much as we are both concerned with saving money and investing it wisely.

Some women would prefer you to get a little bigger of a diamond instead of a perfect one. Dont try and get a perfect diamond. Its exponentially more expensive the more perfect it gets and after a certain ppint you cant tell the difference without a microscope. The most important factors are to make sure you cant see the inclusion by looking at the ring without a magnifier and the color. The cut and clarity will determine how much sparkle you get. Find a middle ground that will not be too expensive but also look brilliant in the light.

Also it is important to have an idea of what she doesnt want. Like my wife didnt want baggets, which looks like diamonds but is actually just the way the ring metal is cut. Also know what metal you want. 14k 18k 24k platimun white gold yellow gold. I had a few of her friends help me figure out what she perffered.

One last piece of advice. Make sure you are 100% ready and she is also. I love my wife more than anything but i know too many people who are not happy with their marriage or already divorsed. Too many guys marry the wrong person and end up miserable. Sometimes ita their fault, sometimes they thought they were ready but they werent, they thought she was the one but they didnt realize her baggage or how materialistic she was, or how bad she was at spending/managing money. Just really think about it.

As for the ring, I think the 2 months or 3 months salary thing is ridiculous. Unless you are rich then you shouldn't be looking over 10,000. If you are making decent money I would think somewhere in the 5000-10000 range. Lower if you are struggling with money.

You don't know the story behind my post. Gettn huge made a disgusting post after mmm beer told us about his wife's miscarriage. That's why I use the word karma. I consider gettn huge the biggest piece of shiit on this bored and no one comes close.

OK so here's the deal....

Just bear with me.

I asked him to start this thread because I was looking up rings and I was kinda shocked that the rings I liked were $13K+ so I wanted to know if that was a normal amount of money to spend on an engagement ring. I was looking at Tiffany rings though so there is probably about a 30% mark up just for having the name on it.

None of my close friends have any money so it's not about showing off. I just want something I like which is a platinum band and I only want a one karat diamond.

And yes this is obviously an investment that we need to take into account for the future and not empty the bank accounts to buy a ring.

The other thing to consider here is it's not outside the realm of possibility that I somehow manage to lose the damn thing within a week of me having it. So I've already discussed getting a replica ring that I actually wear around to make sure I don't lose the real one. But then maybe I should just get a replica of the one I want and forego getting the real one all together? That is probably the wisest move but I really want a nice ring even if I don't wear it except on special occasions.

So, as I stated in my post, I think that you both have to decide what you want. What is important to you in this whole process?

If you are going to lose the ring, then are you ready to have anything of value on your possession? :dunno: There is insurance that you will want to get (which reminds me that I have to check and see if our riders need updating), but are you really that worried that it will somehow fall off your finger?

If you are already having these thoughts/discussions, then I think that you should be in the place where the two of you can hash this out together.

Diamonds aren't even rare. They are a scam to which all men must fall prey. How much of a scam is up to the man. My wife picked out and bought her own engagement ring (with my money) from a jeweler she knew for $1,500. The jeweler said it was worth 5K. Who knows. :dunno:

You don't know the story behind my post. Gettn huge made a disgusting post after mmm beer told us about his wife's miscarriage. That's why I use the word karma. I consider gettn huge the biggest piece of shiit on this bored and no one comes close.

Oh I know the story. I don't see how you wishing a miscarriage on his future wife makes you any better if you were so appalled by what he said. Jus' sayin'

You should also remember this is the interwebs and not everyone behaves as they normally would in normal life on here. I've posted things that were completely ludicrous just to be an asswhole. I'd like to think the Newbies and RPs of the board are actually normal human beings that would be cool to hang out with and just act like asswholes on the interwebs for fun.

So, as I stated in my post, I think that you both have to decide what you want. What is important to you in this whole process?

If you are going to lose the ring, then are you ready to have anything of value on your possession? :dunno: There is insurance that you will want to get (which reminds me that I have to check and see if our riders need updating), but are you really that worried that it will somehow fall off your finger?

If you are already having these thoughts/discussions, then I think that you should be in the place where the two of you can hash this out together.

Well he didn't want me involved in the process and was trying to do it on his own, and I decided to step in ;)

Honestly, it's not a big deal. I just have a certain standard in my jewelry and clothing and stuff and I want something nice. But I also tend to lose things. YES I am worried it will fall off my hand. I lose earrings out of my ears all the time and I don't even know they are gone. And when I looked up prices what I saw was way more expensive than I thought it would be. And of course he did as well :lol: At this point I don't even care that much, but if he's going to spend money on something I want it to be something I like, which is why I inserted myself into the situation.

Oh I know the story. I don't see how you wishing a miscarriage on his future wife makes you any better if you were so appalled by what he said. Jus' sayin'

You should also remember this is the interwebs and not everyone behaves as they normally would in normal life on here. I've posted things that were completely ludicrous just to be an asswhole. I'd like to think the Newbies and RPs of the board are actually normal human beings that would be cool to hang out with and just act like asswholes on the interwebs for fun.

If that's the way you roll. I think people who continuously act like a$$holes on here are either really a$$holes or repressed a$$holes. But that's another topic. I never wished a miscarriage on anyone just saying karma's a biitch. I just want him to warn his future of wife.

Well he didn't want me involved in the process and was trying to do it on his own, and I decided to step in ;)

Honestly, it's not a big deal. I just have a certain standard in my jewelry and clothing and stuff and I want something nice. But I also tend to lose things. YES I am worried it will fall off my hand. I lose earrings out of my ears all the time and I don't even know they are gone. And when I looked up prices what I saw was way more expensive than I thought it would be. And of course he did as well :lol: At this point I don't even care that much, but if he's going to spend money on something I want it to be something I like, which is why I inserted myself into the situation.

You say that it is not a big deal. It sure seems like it is a big deal from what you are posting. If he focks this up, you are going to hang it over his head.

If that's the way you roll. I think people who continuously act like a$$holes on here are either really a$$holes or repressed a$$holes. But that's another topic. I never wished a miscarriage on anyone just saying karma's a biitch. I just want him to warn his future of wife.

If interwebs karma is a real thing, I think his future wife has enough of that to deal with on her own so the added karma would be merely a flesh wound.

Ah engagement rings. Let's all put a dollar value on our love and the meaning of our relationships. Baby, I love you 2-months salary worth!

Just find something that looks nice. I spent like $1,200 and got a nice half-carat diamond. The whole concept is kind of dumb, the wife walks around in fear half the time that she's going to whack her hand on something and the diamond is going to fall out. :thumbsdown:

You say that it is not a big deal. It sure seems like it is a big deal from what you are posting. If he focks this up, you are going to hang it over his head.

Nah. Really. I'm not like that at all. It would be nice to be surprised, but at the same time I think it's a decision that is best made together for a multitude of reasons like the ones you listed. I have to wear it so I want it to be something I like, but at the same time... if he went out and spent a fortune on it, that is OUR money and could be used on something else so I really think it is something that needs to be discussed and decided on jointly. And posting in this thread has taken up more time than us talking about it TBH.

My wife is a designer, I was pretty nervous about getting something she would like. Eventually I just went with a classic and just figured he'd like it because what it represents.

If she was saying she wanted to be part of it, almost grounds for breaking up. Almost feels like she doesn't trust your taste or decision making

My wife is a designer, I was pretty nervous about getting something she would like. Eventually I just went with a classic and just figured he'd like it because what it represents.

If she was saying she wanted to be part of it, almost grounds for breaking up. Almost feels like she doesn't trust your taste or decision making.

The converse being that you had to be a control freak and force her to wear anything you dragged home.