Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

What's the single best piece of advice you ever received?

While shopping for my first pair of work boots for me at the age of 14, my Dad hit me with this.....

"There are 3 things you never go cheap on: Shoes, A Mattress, & Beer".

Focking BRILLIANT!

Great advive

Don't cry because it's over

Smile because it happened

- Dr Seuss

Funny, I was just thinking about that one today. I first heard that one just 5 years ago when I was coaching my daughter's softball team. One of the players made a speech after we got eliminated in the playoffs and she quoted that. It's stuck with me ever since.

But, the best piece of advice is one I gave myself: Never respect anyone who's younger than you.

Funny, I was just thinking about that one today. I first heard that one just 5 years ago when I was coaching my daughter's softball team. One of the players made a speech after we got eliminated in the playoffs and she quoted that. It's stuck with me ever since.

But, the best piece of advice is one I gave myself: Never respect anyone who's younger than you.

Well that's kinda focked up

Why?

Because for one thing, it flies right in the face of "everyone can teach you something."

Yeah. That's dumb.

Tough times don't last, tough people do... Black label society's drummer'or singer, name escapes me. Anyways he was playing craps in Vegas the day before we got married.

• Like 1

My dad once told me: You can take a day off work but you never take a day off from responsibility. Scared me at the time but now I know it's true.

• Like 2

to invest in Apple back in 98 ............. I laughed at my friend when he said they were about to make a HUGE comeback -- thinking Aaple was indeed dead............. Had I invested the 2K in Apple then he wanted me too in 1998 :wall: :wall: :wall: ..........it's like rain.......Ironic....................:cry:

The price was like 30 then now it;s like 590 -- I shutter to think what 2K back then would be worth right now.

I bought Apple in like 96/97 at like $17 a share. It was the first stock I ever bought. It was like a $500 investment. I sold when it hit 25 and was happy to have made a little profit, when I was cleared to purchase options. Lost a decent amt of money on AAPL calls. I was a couple years ahead of the game. I did the math recently, and that $500 investment would be about $70k today. There are things I regret more in life. But, like they say, "Never buy at the bottom, and always sell too soon."

Don't eat yellow snow

Love that one. It just never worked its way into my world.

don't live for other people. you only get one chance at life. Make sure you take every fun moment you can.

This is good. It's easy to forget when you get bogged down with every day life.

That makes no sense. Why should age have anything to do with your respect for someone?

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

A guy we met camping in Colorado once (No...save your brokeback mountain jokes) told me...."Pick one thing you love to do...and make yourself the absolute best at it you can"

Looking back it was brilliant.....did i follow it? no.

My dad once told me: You can take a day off work but you never take a day off from responsibility. Scared me at the time but now I know it's true.

That's pretty good.

When I was hired into my first management position at 22, the CEO pulled me aside and told me to master the art of delegating tasks without abdicating responsibility.

A guy we met camping in Colorado once (No...save your brokeback mountain jokes) told me...."Pick one thing you love to do...and make yourself the absolute best at it you can"

Looking back it was brilliant.....did i follow it? no.

you're a master bater?

you're a master bater?

If that was a competition....i would be a consensus 1st team All American. :thumbsup:

There's lots of advice being given out to recent grads right now. Not all of it is good.

I often hear "Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work." Or, "Follow your passion."

That's great in theory, but how many people can really earn a living doing something they truly love? Most people are not pro football players, rock stars, or astronauts.

If you're fortunate enough to be passionate about your work, that's great. I'm sure more than half of the general public isn't.

My approach to life was always to build a successful career that would allow me time and money to pursue the activities I enjoy.

I've never been defined by my job. It's just something I do to earn money.

There's lots of advice being given out to recent grads right now. Not all of it is good.

I often hear "Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work." Or, "Follow your passion."

That's great in theory, but how many people can really earn a living doing something they truly love? Most people are not pro football players, rock stars, or astronauts.

If you're fortunate enough to be passionate about your work, that's great. I'm sure more than half of the general public isn't.

My approach to life was always to build a successful career that would allow me time and money to pursue the activities I enjoy.

Really good point.

I know two people who have a masters degree in music theory or something like that.

One delivers food and the other works at Home Depot, I think.

Following your passion isn't always great advice.

1st time my dad knew I was going out with a girl.

his version of sitting me down for the birds and the bees.

"Keep it in your sneaker"

What a wonderful father. :wub:

• Like 1

Not so much advice as just a lesson on keeping things in perspective.

I got a DUI in my 20's. We had a softball game the next morning and the whole team got together for breakfast before the game. I was feeling pretty sh!tty about and kind of pouting, and one of the older guys on the team who I really respected told me "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you'll have a really good life." It might sound trite, but for some reason it really impacted me. I can't tell you how many times that conversation has popped into my head over the years when things go off the rails a little bit.

Not so much advice as just a lesson on keeping things in perspective.

I got a DUI in my 20's. We had a softball game the next morning and the whole team got together for breakfast before the game. I was feeling pretty sh!tty about and kind of pouting, and one of the older guys on the team who I really respected told me "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to you, you'll have a really good life."

That's when you admitted to the team you were raped by a priest?

No matter how good you are or how special you think you are you are easily replaced.

No matter how good you are or how special you think you are you are easily replaced.

By a vibrator and a carafe of Chardonay

That makes no sense. Why should age have anything to do with your respect for someone?

Because if you're older than someone, that means you were born before them, thus you have more time on this earth than them. Jeez, I thought it was obvious...

My brother once said there are two types of people: those who love what they do, and those who work to make money to do what they love to do. The context was our cousin, a successful dentist who fit in the latter category.II'm not sure that it is that black and white, but I would prefer leaning towards the former. I actually like what I'm doing now more than I have in a decade.

My brother once said there are two types of people: those who love what they do, and those who work to make money to do what they love to do. The context was our cousin, a successful dentist who fit in the latter category.II'm not sure that it is that black and white, but I would prefer leaning towards the former. I actually like what I'm doing now more than I have in a decade.

My golf buddy has a saying "I work to golf"

It's a great saying.

I love what I do and I do what I love to do with the money I make.

• Like 1