Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

What's the single best piece of advice you ever received?

There's lots of advice being given out to recent grads right now. Not all of it is good.

I often hear "Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work." Or, "Follow your passion."

That's great in theory, but how many people can really earn a living doing something they truly love? Most people are not pro football players, rock stars, or astronauts.

If you're fortunate enough to be passionate about your work, that's great. I'm sure more than half of the general public isn't.

My approach to life was always to build a successful career that would allow me time and money to pursue the activities I enjoy.

I've never been defined by my job. It's just something I do to earn money.

Agreed If I was able to do what I "loved" I'd be playing shortstop for the Braves right now.

That dream died after high school, so I picked a career that fit what I was good at in college and try to make money to support my family so my kids can have a cool ass childhood.

All that other non sense is just somebody trying to sound wise and shat.

It's better to have it and not need, than need it and not have it.

-Augustus McCrae

There's no azz whuppin' that got easier because you took a couple days to think about it.

When trying to make a chick orgasm manually, go in with one finger, palm aced up, and curl the finger as if to say 'come here'.

- My dad. When I was eleven

• Like 1

There's lots of advice being given out to recent grads right now. Not all of it is good.

I often hear "Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work." Or, "Follow your passion."

That's great in theory, but how many people can really earn a living doing something they truly love? Most people are not pro football players, rock stars, or astronauts.

If you're fortunate enough to be passionate about your work, that's great. I'm sure more than half of the general public isn't.

My approach to life was always to build a successful career that would allow me time and money to pursue the activities I enjoy.

I've never been defined by my job. It's just something I do to earn money.

Agreed.

This was a big thing in my schooling growing up -- follow your passion, do what you love and it'll all work out, etc.

Well a lot of kids did that. They got degrees in dancing or film or fine arts or whatever.

The ones who came from wealthy families did end up doing fine. They had mommy and daddy to pay their way when they were working some minimum wage or volunteer job in pursuit of their unrealistic dreams.

The kids who didn't come from wealthy families? Not so good. Those are the ones who get stuck being waitresses and baristas because the tips are good and it's the only way they can get by. No need to rack up serious educational debt for that end result.

So sure, following your dreams at the expense of practicality is fine...as long as you have a benefactor to catch you when you fall.

When trying to make a chick orgasm manually, go in with one finger, palm aced up, and curl the finger as if to say 'come here'.

An obvious fan of Seymore Butts

Just make sure to cut your fingernails.

Never bench Stephen Davis.

I'm suprised it took this long for someone to post this.

to invest in Apple back in 98 ............. I laughed at my friend when he said they were about to make a HUGE comeback -- thinking Aaple was indeed dead............. Had I invested the 2K in Apple then he wanted me too in 1998 :wall: :wall: :wall: ..........it's like rain.......Ironic....................:cry:

The price was like 30 then now it;s like 590 -- I shutter to think what 2K back then would be worth right now.

I know how you feel. I remember my department went on a lunch and movie break during the work week. We went to a theater and in walked a group of young Apple workers into the same theater. I have them a look of surprise and said how could you guys be here in the middle of the day when your company is about to go under. The dued looked at me and said well we finished our work for the day. I shrugged my shoulders and thought maybe I should throw 10k into that stock just for the hell of it. I think the stock was trading around 13. Of course I never did buy the stock and still beat myself up over not going with my gut.

All women like anal.....some just do not know it yet.

I won't cvm in your mouf

The check is in the mail

I won't cvm in your mouf

The check is in the mail

i advise you to stop giving blow jobs, especially on the cuff.

Early in my sales career a trainer told me to never see failure as failure but only as the game you must play to win.

• Like 1

I had someone tell me to invest in bitcoin at something like 80 cents a coin. This was the future....it was the here and now. I was doing ok financially at the time and could have pulled the trigger on around 3k in coins. If I had done that even if I sold now I would get 435 a coin.If I sold at its peak it would have been over 1k.

At todays close you'd be sitting on about $42,641,550.00

Ouch

At todays close you'd be sitting on about $42,641,550.00

Ouch

pardon me while I go kill myself.

pardon me while I go kill myself.

You probably would have cashed out at $10,000,000 or so, no big deal.

My old man told me that if you have 5 true friends in your life, you are a lucky man. I thought he was crazy, but he was right.

That's not advice. :dunno:

Never bench Stephen Davis.

I start him to this day

I start him to this day

I finally dropped him 2 years ago. He was killing my team.

When it comes to things, be cheap. When it comes to people or experiences, be generous. Memories are more than money.

The future is important, but so is today. Don't forget to enjoy the journey.

Treat women like a queen. A good one will return it. A bad one will show herself.

• Like 1

Before I got my first real job out of college my Dad told me to take as much of my paycheck into 401(k) as I could handle. From day one I've maxed out my per-paycheck contribution. 26 years later and I'm glad I listened.

• Like 1

Agreed.

This was a big thing in my schooling growing up -- follow your passion, do what you love and it'll all work out, etc.

Well a lot of kids did that. They got degrees in dancing or film or fine arts or whatever.

The ones who came from wealthy families did end up doing fine. They had mommy and daddy to pay their way when they were working some minimum wage or volunteer job in pursuit of their unrealistic dreams.

The kids who didn't come from wealthy families? Not so good. Those are the ones who get stuck being waitresses and baristas because the tips are good and it's the only way they can get by. No need to rack up serious educational debt for that end result.

So sure, following your dreams at the expense of practicality is fine...as long as you have a benefactor to catch you when you fall.

Just depends on what you want. The devil is, most young people don't know.

If you value money over the more esoteric happinesses of life, you should go that route. If you are content being poor, but living your dream, go that route, and don't b!tch about the poverty.

Usually there is a balance of course. Some middle road related to your dream that still has some lucre to it.

Just depends on what you want. The devil is, most young people don't know.

If you value money over the more esoteric happinesses of life, you should go that route. If you are content being poor, but living your dream, go that route, and don't b!tch about the poverty.

Usually there is a balance of course. Some middle road related to your dream that still has some lucre to it.

True.

I posted that like 3 1/2 years ago and Im not sure what I was thinking.

Guess I was riding high at that time. Id done the practical thing and it was paying off.

Well its continued paying off but Im not sure thats enough anymore.

Youre absolutely right youth is wasted on the young as they say. You dont know what you dont know. And by the time you know its late. I wouldnt say too late because theres always options. But itd sure as hell be nice if you knew it all when you were 20.

Then again, life is a journey ^_^