Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Something I wanted to share.....

......to my dysfunctional internet friends.

I'm sure nobody noticed but I've been missing for about a month. The reason is that my 5 year old son was hit by a car in our neighborhood. He was riding his bike with my wife as she pushed my 2 year old in a jogging stroller on a morning jog in the neighborhood and an elderly man driving though wasn't paying attention, drifted off to the side of the road and plowed my little guy over while he was stopped on the side of the street and drug him 40 feet.

He spent 4 days intubated with injuries, 7 days in the pediatric ICU, and 12 days in the hospital. But he is home now and luckily no severe head injuries, no spine injuries and he somehow didn't break a bone. He did have a lot of road rash and a severe leg injury that required a muscle flap and skin graft over his inside right knee/leg along with a few other deep tissue cuts but all in all he is lucky and should :crossfingers: make a full recovery minus some cool scars.

I'm not sharing this looking for any sympathy or looking for any attention. In fact I've hesitated sharing this at all. However the reason I am doing so is to tell you that every trauma surgeon, doctor, nurse, EMS person has told us that his bike helmet saved his life. His helmet looked like a cracked egg at the scene, it was shattered in large peices and the under belly was shredded as well, however my little guy got away with only a concussion, a small abrasion to his head and a small cut on his chin where the helmet strap cut him.

I don't tell people what to do or how to raise their kids. All I can tell you is my son is here today because he was wearing a helmet while riding his bike. I know alot of Geeks have kids, young and old, so I wanted to share in hopes some of you took notice in your own lives and made your kids wear a helmet if they did not. Take it for what its worth; sure its not "cool" and sure your kid will probably fight you over it, but it was a "must do" in my house and we are thankful every day he had it on.

So that's the end of my Public Service Announcement. :P

• Like 2

Damn.....sorry KSB.......glad hes going to be ok eventually. Cant even imagine how scary that is. But good advice.....put a helmet on your kids.

Ban old people...J/K

Thank God your son is ok. I pray for a speedy recovery for him .

Glad to hear he is ok, thanks for sharing this difficult story and good advice.

Wow, thank god he's okay. I can only imagine how horrible that must be for all of you.

Great advice. My kids complained, but I made them wear helmets on their bikes all the time.

One good thing came out of this, though. We didn't have to read any of your drivel for a month!

:cheers:

Seriously, prayers for a speedy recovery and no permanent damage.

As a cyclist, I know the value of a helmet at all times. It sounds like your son will make a full recovery because of his. Hopefully some of the no-helmet, wind through their hair crowd can learn from your good parenting.

Sorry to hear of what must be a parent's nightmare, but glad to hear he's making a strong recovery.

Thoughts and prayers my man, glad to hear your son is alright.

Oh my god, that must have been incredibly scary!! I cannot imagine what it would be like to have an accident like that happen to your child -- I hope your wife is OK!

Glad to hear it is all going to work out though, and I will remember the message for sure :cheers:

Just make sure you tell him to parlay those cool scars into some sympathy poosay, when he is old enough.

Glad to hear he made it through. :thumbsup:

ban bikes!

Glad he's okay, what a terrible thing to have to go through. I can't imagine my little guy getting run over.

Did you have any thoughts of beating the elderly man?

The other PSA is that if your parent or grand parent is old and you know they shouldn't be driving......step up and say or do something.

Thanks for all the kinds words from y'all.

He is going to physical therapy for his leg three days a week now and is so far rocking it out. He calls it going to the "gym" to workout. :) Five year olds are resilient and have great attitudes. If this happened to me I'd prolly be throwing a pity party and get down or depressed, but he doesn't think that way which makes me a proud dad.

And yes, It crossed my mind to pull a "fftoday special", walk to this mans house ring the door bell and punch him in the face in front of his wife and family. But I'm trying to be a better person.

It happend at 10:30 in the morning while I was at work but my wife was just behind it and saw it all happen so she was and still is pretty shaken up. However as he gets better, so does she so I think she should be okay too. I've debated having her and him, or mabye all of us go and talk to somebody. I think to many people think doing that is taboo or some sort of negative, but I think it may be a good idea for all of us to go and "air it all out" if you will.

But anyway, thanks again for the kind words. Just know that I never thought something like that would happen to us, but things happen all the time and can happen in an instant. So hug your kids and make sure to keep your priorities in order. :thumbsup:

The other PSA is that if your parent or grand parent is old and you know they shouldn't be driving......step up and say or do something.

He is going to physical therapy for his leg three days a week now and is so far rocking it out. He calls it going to the "gym" to workout. :) Five year olds are resilient and have great attitudes. If this happened to me I'd prolly be throwing a pity party and get down or depressed, but he doesn't think that way which makes me a proud dad.

And yes, It crossed my mind to pull a "fftoday special", walk to this mans house ring the door bell and punch him in the face in front of his wife and children. But I'm trying to be a better person.

It happend at 10:30 in the morning while I was at work but my wife was just behind it and saw it all happen so she was and still is pretty shaken up. However as he gets better, so does she so I think she should be okay too. I've debated having her and him, or mabye all of us go and talk to somebody. I think to many people think doing that is taboo or some sort of negative, but I think it may be a good idea for all of us to go and "air it all out" if you will.

But anyway, thanks again for the kind words. Just know that I never thought something like that would happen to us, but things happen all the time and can happen in an instant. So hug your kids and make sure to keep your priorities in order. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Go get the help. No shame in that at all.

And yes, It crossed my mind to pull a "fftoday special", walk to this mans house ring the door bell and punch him in the face in front of his wife and children. But I'm trying to be a better person.

:headbanger:

Happy for you that he is ok and :thumbsup: to a speedy recovery.

Three words: personal injury attorney.

My daughter pulled in front of a car. Both cars were going at low speeds and no one was hurt. The driver of the other car, however, was pregnant. Everything was handled by our insurance company. The settlement was over hundred thousand dollars. Her kid got born with a free four year degree. She was as hurt as I am right now. (Not at all).

Sorry for what you have gone thru KSB, glad your little dude will be ok. I couldn't imagine.

you were gone?

Not really breaking news but, you are a phenomenal piece of sh1t. Seriously, do us all a favor and swallow mouthful of buckshot.

Three words: personal injury attorney.

That is what America has become and why everything costs so focking much

Damn, glad to hear he's ok :thumbsup:

Lucky for me, I'm required to wear a helmet 24/7 :music_guitarred:

• Haha 1

That is what America has become and why everything costs so focking much

I somewhat agree, especially in the case mentioned where nobody was even hurt. That doesn't make alot of sense.

However I do have representation. It's not to "go after" anybody but its more to do with making sure insurance pays what they are supposed to pay and I don't freaking lose my house because some old man wasn't paying attention and plowed over my son while he was stopped on the side of the road.

There are multiple insurance companies at play in things like this. His auto, your auto, my health insurance, so on. And they all will fight with each other on who pays what and all try to get out of as much as they can. You really do need representation to figure it all out and make sure no shenanigans happen.

The old man wasn't arrested but he was charged with a traffic offense like "careless and wreckless driving" or something similar. I forget the exact wording. Hopefully the fact he was officially cited will make the whole insurance process easier.

• Like 1

Not really breaking news but, you are a phenomenal piece of sh1t. Seriously, do us all a favor and swallow mouthful of buckshot.

Go fock yourself, I'm just joking around. Don't clog the thread with your sanctimonious bullshit

Did you go ahead and have a little....umm..shall we say "Phonebook" talk with your wife that this happened on her watch.

#rayrice #iketurner

Fock me, that's an awful story, good to know he is going to be ok.

Also reassuring that MDCs kid will be ok in the helmet if the Great Wall of china falls on him

I somewhat agree, especially in the case mentioned where nobody was even hurt. That doesn't make alot of sense.

However I do have representation. It's not to "go after" anybody but its more to do with making sure insurance pays what they are supposed to pay and I don't freaking lose my house because some old man wasn't paying attention and plowed over my son while he was stopped on the side of the road.

There are multiple insurance companies at play in things like this. His auto, your auto, my health insurance, so on. And they all will fight with each other on who pays what and all try to get out of as much as they can. You really do need representation to figure it all out and make sure no shenanigans happen.

The old man wasn't arrested but he was charged with a traffic offense like "careless and wreckless driving" or something similar. I forget the exact wording. Hopefully the fact he was officially cited will make the whole insurance process easier.

I am sure worms will get you every dollars you deserve.

So glad to hear he is OK. My son is great with wearing the helmut, but can get sloppy on occasion when looking both ways. This is an awesome reminder to make sure I stay on him to be careful.

This is also a huge reminder for my son's idiot Dad to buy a helmut. We only stroll through town at slow speeds, but it sets a crappy example when I don't wear one.

Go fock yourself, I'm just joking around. Don't clog the thread with your sanctimonious bullshit

Yea you were.

:rolleyes:

You are a piece of sh1t.

OMG that's horrific! Glad to hear he's home and doing better, but I can't even imagine the hell you must have gone through.

T's & P's

:hugs:

KSB is definitely one of the good guys around here. :wub:

there should be nothing in this thread but love and admiration.

We are lucky to have him.

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear the little guy is ok. Hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

That must've been one focked up phone call to get at work. :shocking:

Oh my. Can't even imagine.

I was actually in a meeting and didn't have my phone with me. I get back to my desk and see 5 voice mails, first one was my wife screaming hystercially in the phone he was hit by a car and to go to <inserthospitalname> then :click: I grabbed my stuff, ran out and jumped in the car. In retrospect I shouldn't have been driving to be honest. I put my hazards on and was going a 100mph on the interstate. Probably not smart but.......

Quick little note I'll share. I'll let your own personal belief decide for yourself, whether you believe in God, or just good ole fashioned Karma but..........

The EMS station in my area is about 7-8 miles away from my house, however that morning one of the EMS workers randomly decided she needed to go to the bank to do some personal stuff that morning. So they were in the EMS ambulance on the way to the bank when they got the 911 call. When they got the call they were driving by and happened to be only 2 blocks from the scene. From the 911 call to the time they arrived was 30 seconds.

• Thanks 1

I was actually in a meeting and didn't have my phone with me. I get back to my desk and see 5 voice mails, first one was my wife screaming hystercially in the phone he was hit by a car and to go to <inserthospitalname> then :click: I grabbed my stuff, ran out and jumped in the car. In retrospect I shouldn't have been driving to be honest. I put my hazards on and was going a 100mph on the interstate. Probably not smart but.......

Quick little note I'll share. I'll let your own personal belief decide for yourself, wether you believe in God, or just good ole fashioned Karma but..........

The EMS in my area is about 7-8 miles away from my house, however that morning one of the EMS workers randomly decided she needed to go to the bank to do some personal stuff. So they were in the EMS ambulance on the way to the bank when they got the 911 call. When they got the call they were driving by and happened to be only 2 blocks from the scene. From the 911 call to the time they arrived was 30 seconds.

Coincidence...but still awesome luck.

Yeah i dread that phone call from her mom or a hospital that i need to get to a hospital because my little girl is hurt. Really glad everything is looking good there though man.

Quick little note I'll share. I'll let your own personal belief decide for yourself, wether you believe in God, or just good ole fashioned Karma but..........

The EMS station in my area is about 7-8 miles away from my house, however that morning one of the EMS workers randomly decided she needed to go to the bank to do some personal stuff that morning. So they were in the EMS ambulance on the way to the bank when they got the 911 call. When they got the call they were driving by and happened to be only 2 blocks from the scene. From the 911 call to the time they arrived was 30 seconds.

Those that believe that are unfortunate to die when they get into an accident. Well see, god hates them

Prolly shouldn't have mentioned the whole God versus Karma comment as people will argue over that here, but just thought it was cool no matter your belief system.

Prolly shouldn't have mentioned the whole God versus Karma comment as people will argue over that here, but just thought it was cool no matter your belief system.

agreed.

whatever works.

I am glad you have representation. You have a very (very) legitimate reason for getting proper compensation. I am not trying to excuse or minimize my daughter's mistake, but the air bag didn't even go off in the other car the lady was not even upset (I was a passenger in the car and on the scene). She was calm and totally unhurt and came away with over $100K. Was your son calm and unhurt: not buy a long shot.

I can't even imagine what it was like getting that call and the drive to the hospital. I'm glad the little dude will be okay and is handling it so well. Kids are resilient and he'll have some killer scars from this.

Ugh. That's just a horrible. Your nightmare coming true. Thank God it wasn't more serious.