Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Minimum wage increase is killing restaurants. Great job liberals.

Paying an employee less than minimum wage and having them make up he rest in tips really isn't paying 100%

I always find it curious the things people choose to go to war over in here. I've never known anyone to hate our tipping model except really cheap people. And I'm not suggesting you're one of those. But of all the things in life I take issue with, tipping a server is not on the list.

I always find it curious the things people choose to go to war over in here. I've never known anyone to hate our tipping model except really cheap people. And I'm not suggesting you're one of those. But of all the things in life I take issue with, tipping a server is not on the list.

I don't take issue with tipping in and of itself. I tip all the time.

I take issue with standard restaurant biz model whereby employees get paid peanuts by the owner and are told to make the rest up in tips. And, as I've stated and re stated, I oppose servers skating on their fair share of income taxes.

I have no issue with the tipping business model since servers get the bulk of it and they make far more in tips than they'd ever make in an hourly rate. I do agree that restaurants shouldn't be exempt from paying the min. wage though.

The one that really kills me are places like Starbucks and DD that have a tip cup up front. For what - literally handing me the item I want to buy? In that case I absolutely feel like I am subsidizing the business.

I don't take issue with tipping in and of itself. I tip all the time.

I take issue with standard restaurant biz model whereby employees get paid peanuts by the owner and are told to make the rest up in tips. And, as I've stated and re stated, I oppose servers skating on their fair share of income taxes.

1) I agree with you somewhat on the taxes thing. I think everyone should pay "their fair share." It's unfair to everyone else that servers/bartenders have an easy loophole. I don't know how much money we're talking about but I'm sure it's pretty significant and we could sure use it.

2) I personally think the business model is a good one. A waiter at a high end restaurant can make bank. They're usually the cream of the crop when it comes to servers. Don't know that I've ever had a bad waiter at a high end restaurant. Can't say the same for Denny's. So just like other careers you can work your way up. If you're 50 years old and still a server at Dennys after 30 years you probably aren't the best server.

3) The ones I feel sorry for are the people who don't get tips like dishwashers or cooks. They don't make that much AND they don't get tips.

3) The ones I feel sorry for are the people who don't get tips like dishwashers or cooks. They don't make that much AND they don't get tips.

Granted an exception and not the norm, but when I was a busser, the servers would actually give the cooks a couple bucks each at the end of their shift.

The cooks would also make food for the dishwashers. They'd get a free meal for each shift. Me and another busser would occasionally go to the liquor store next door and get a tall boy for each of us and one for the dishwasher at the end of closing shift.

Wouldn't make up for the fact they got paid like crap, but sometimes those little things go a long way.

1) I agree with you somewhat on the taxes thing. I think everyone should pay "their fair share." It's unfair to everyone else that servers/bartenders have an easy loophole. I don't know how much money we're talking about but I'm sure it's pretty significant and we could sure use it.

2) I personally think the business model is a good one. A waiter at a high end restaurant can make bank. They're usually the cream of the crop when it comes to servers. Don't know that I've ever had a bad waiter at a high end restaurant. Can't say the same for Denny's. So just like other careers you can work your way up. If you're 50 years old and still a server at Dennys after 30 years you probably aren't the best server.

Different topic but: my daughter is a server at Denny's while she goes to college. She makes more per hour on average than my son who serves at Dave and Busters, which while not upscale is certainly a step up from Denny's (and they serve booze which I'd guess increases tips). I think it is a combo of volume and the fact that my daughter is a natural salesperson so her customers tend to like her.

Also she and I talked recently about some of the "lifers" at a place like Denny's. For instance, the manager asked a server to pick up some garbage outside while it was slow; she said "no" and left. Just left. What, she doesn't need money or this job? She is a lifer diner waitress. I'm sure she'll latch onto some other dive. :lol:

Different topic but: my daughter is a server at Denny's while she goes to college. She makes more per hour on average than my son who serves at Dave and Busters, which while not upscale is certainly a step up from Denny's (and they serve booze which I'd guess increases tips). I think it is a combo of volume and the fact that my daughter is a natural salesperson so her customers tend to like her.

Also she and I talked recently about some of the "lifers" at a place like Denny's. For instance, the manager asked a server to pick up some garbage outside while it was slow; she said "no" and left. Just left. What, she doesn't need money or this job? She is a lifer diner waitress. I'm sure she'll latch onto some other dive. :lol:

Plus your daughter has bewbs. and probably knows how to flirt for her tips. I had a couple of hot waitresses at Waffle House. They all had a stable of regulars who thought she was their girlfriend.

They used to help them move. One even gave one girl a car (a beater, but still.)

Plus your daughter has bewbs. and probably knows how to flirt for her tips. I had a couple of hot waitresses at Waffle House. They all had a stable of regulars who thought she was their girlfriend.

They used to help them move. One even gave one girl a car (a beater, but still.)

The Waffle House is an odd name for a strip club. :unsure:

Hey, she's only 19. :angry:

Fock :wall:

Not in Tennessee. The asses look like waffles.

Hey, she's only 19. :angry:

Fock :wall:

Can size? :wave:

For those who don't think the minimum wage increases have an impact on how a company does business:

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/01/jack-in-the-box-ceo-says-it-just-makes-sense-to-use-robots.html

And we've all seen the automated ordering devices at places like Red Robin. Restaurant employess, be careful what you ask for.......

Would have happened anyways, an increase in minimum wage just speeds up the process.

A tablet is probably cheaper than a worker making a dollar an hour.

That's actually Hail Damage, Bert :dunno:

Jan 1 MN raised theirs again. My local bar raised the drink prices again. Rounded every thing up to the next dollar amount. It's killing the waitresses tips.

That's actually Hail Damage, Bert :dunno:

That looks like biscuits and gravy damage.

• Like 1

Red Robin cutting busboys after minimum wage hikes

Restaurant chain Red Robin is cutting busboys at each of its 570 restaurants to cut costs amid minimum wage hikes across the United States.

"We need to do that to address the labor increases we've seen," Red Robin's CFO Guy Constant told attendees Monday at a retail conference in Florida, the New York Post reported.

The company hopes to save about $8 million as a result of the cuts, and existing employees are expected to take on the busboys' former duties, according to the Post.

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Red-Robin-cutting-busboys-after-minimum-wage-hikes-12484731.php

Red Robin cutting busboys after minimum wage hikes

Restaurant chain Red Robin is cutting busboys at each of its 570 restaurants to cut costs amid minimum wage hikes across the United States.

"We need to do that to address the labor increases we've seen," Red Robin's CFO Guy Constant told attendees Monday at a retail conference in Florida, the New York Post reported.

The company hopes to save about $8 million as a result of the cuts, and existing employees are expected to take on the busboys' former duties, according to the Post.

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Red-Robin-cutting-busboys-after-minimum-wage-hikes-12484731.php

I would assume many busboys are from south of the border. Great.

:D I have always been pro tips model, however started to rethink that a bit after a trip to Ireland last year. Every place we went we got good service. Maybe that can't happen here cause everyone from the owner to the server is a jerkoff. Like the Puzder guy, he's "worried" about paying a barely liveable wage to someone, while having no problem with his big wage. All of these large chain type places seem to have the same issue..Walton family can't increase the minimum wage cause it cause increases in prices...how about the Walton's just take less, you know for doing nothing.

They should pay people in the service industry a living wage, so consumers aren't forced to give them welfare via tips.

They should pay people in the service industry a living wage, so consumers aren't forced to give them welfare via tips.

I have no problem with tipping. It encourages good service.

I have no problem with tipping. It encourages good service.

Because people shouldn't just do their job well, because it's their job. :dunno:

Because people shouldn't just do their job well, because it's their job. :dunno:

See union labor.

ETA: J/K

This ain't The North Pole, Santa won't whip us for not producing.

Reminds me...the crazy guy I went out with for a little while and I met while working seasonally at Macy's. He was super charismatic as an associate, a little crazy (so I probably should have seen it coming), but none the less his name tag got maxed out with stars.

In order to get a star a customer would need to commend you to management. I never got a star. ONE time an older lady wanted to write me a commendation but I'm not sure if I directed her properly to the place to do it :ninja:

I didn't really mind but it was funny to me that he had no space for another star while I had none. I was nice and dutiful, he was kind of bombastic and attempted (attempted is the best word) humor all the time. He seemed a bit out of place, but it worked right for him, gave people charming experiences they weren't expecting.

Well, you explained it so eloquently here. I completed understand now. Thanks, Drumpflake!

Tactic #264: When you lose an argument, call the other guy a name.

Jan 1 MN raised theirs again. My local bar raised the drink prices again. Rounded every thing up to the next dollar amount. It's killing the waitresses tips.

Nahh. The food and drink sucked. Its nothing to do with minimum wage. :)

First name Mr. or Shaggy?

It wasn't me

Death by a thousand cuts': Government-mandated wage, benefits hurting small businesses

Business owners say the government-mandated minimum wage of $15 an hour is hurting New York City businesses, including popular eateries with years of history like Gabriela's Restaurant and Tequila Bar.

Gabriela's, which opened 25 years ago according to The New York Post, invited customers to eat and drink for the restaurant's final weekend before closing at the end of September. Owners Liz and Nat Milner told The New York Post that the minimum wage hike basically killed their business.

They're not the only ones making difficult decisions. The New York City Hospitality Alliance surveyed 324 full-service restaurants at the end of 2018 and found that 75% of respondents will cut hours for employees and 47% will cut jobs in 2019 because of the minimum wage hike that went into effect on Dec. 31, 2018. The wage hike affected employees at corporations like McDonald's and small businesses alike

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/government-mandated-wage-benefits-hurting-small-businesses

Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together. 

The 14th Amendment allows for "Freedom of Contract".   Minimum wage restricts that freedom according to the Supreme Court in the 1930's striking down State minimum wage laws.  But a few years later they reversed course saying it wasn't an unreasonable restriction. Originally it only applied to interstate commerce, but in the 1960's nearly all types of employment were included.

I'm surprised it hasn't been struck down again. Seems incredibly unreasonable.

17 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

The 14th Amendment allows for "Freedom of Contract".   Minimum wage restricts that freedom according to the Supreme Court in the 1930's striking down State minimum wage laws.  But a few years later they reversed course saying it wasn't an unreasonable restriction. Originally it only applied to interstate commerce, but in the 1960's nearly all types of employment were included.

I'm surprised it hasn't been struck down again. Seems incredibly unreasonable.

Forced "unionization". The government has negotiated wages, sick leave, maternity benefits, healthcare, etc. and take their cut from the taxes.  No jobs created though. And many ruined. Tough luck.

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

About time for another Bill Maher commentary to "nail it".

Un-nailed it :thumbsdown:

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

I don't know what it is but I think Newsome is crazy.  Like seriously crazy.  Like one day they will find 10000 bodies buried in his basement crazy.  He really creeps me out man.

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

2015.  Give it time, he will nail it in a few years when there is no option but to do so.  Then his sychophants will rejoice in his nailing what the right had predicted 10 years earlier.