Cdub100

Coronavirus - Doomsday

2 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Excellent I love this game. Here's one peer-reviewed scientific study.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19216002/

N95-masked health-care workers (HCW) were significantly more likely to experience headaches. Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

Now show me your peer-reviewed scientific study. I will not accept a press release, memo or internet meme.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2#Sec3

3 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Excellent I love this game. Here's one peer-reviewed scientific study.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19216002/

N95-masked health-care workers (HCW) were significantly more likely to experience headaches. Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

Now show me your peer-reviewed scientific study. I will not accept a press release, memo or internet meme.

Your article's conclusion:

Conclusion: Face mask use in health care workers has not been demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds. A larger study is needed to definitively establish noninferiority of no mask use.

Got one that actually draws a conclusion?

34 minutes ago, nobody said:

Excellent thank you! So I read the study and I see they focused on viral shedding and not an actual transmission of infection. I found this part interesting since it backs up what I say about wearing a mask and close contact being required. I also find it curious they had 200+ people in the test but only had 11 COVID patients get tested with a mask and none of them had showed infected droplets through the mask? Not to attack the source but I have a hard time trusting articles like this out of China.

Given the high collection efficiency of the G-II (ref. 19) and given that each exhaled breath collection was conducted for 30 min, this might imply that prolonged close contact would be required for transmission to occur, even if transmission was primarily via aerosols, as has been described for rhinovirus colds20.

Here's another article from 2012 that examined 17 studies that show masks do not stop or slow the spread of viruses. Curious how the study you linked to matches up with this data, but somehow concluded Coronavirus can't spread through a mask... me thinks that one study of yours is focky.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00307.x

“There were 17 eligible studies. … None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

10 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Your article's conclusion:

Got one that actually draws a conclusion?

Just posted one that examined 17 studies about the use of face masks. 

10 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Just posted one that examined 17 studies about the use of face masks. 

From your new article:

Summary

Influenza viruses circulate around the world every year. From time to time new strains emerge and cause global pandemics. Many national and international health agencies recommended the use of face masks during the 2009 influenza A (H1N1) pandemic. We reviewed the English-language literature on this subject to inform public health preparedness. There is some evidence to support the wearing of masks or respirators during illness to protect others, and public health emphasis on mask wearing during illness may help to reduce influenza virus transmission. There are fewer data to support the use of masks or respirators to prevent becoming infected. Further studies in controlled settings and studies of natural infections in healthcare and community settings are required to better define the effectiveness of face masks and respirators in preventing influenza virus transmission.

Thanks for supporting mask wearing.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

From your new article:

Thanks for supporting mask wearing.  :thumbsup:

Good job cherry-picking the CYA that supports your position. The study says it didn't find evidence o support.

Here's another one!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jebm.12381

“A total of six RCTs involving 9,171 participants were included. There were no statistically significant differences in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza, laboratory-confirmed respiratory viral infections, laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, and influenza-like illness using N95 respirators and surgical masks

Just now, nobody said:

My webcam would be "broken" for every teleconference.  Problem solved.

Or you could show up in your bday suit and a mask covering your junk. 

32 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

Good job cherry-picking the CYA that supports your position. The study says it didn't find evidence o support.

Here's another one!

“A total of six RCTs involving 9,171 participants were included. There were no statistically significant differences in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza, laboratory-confirmed respiratory viral infections, laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, and influenza-like illness using N95 respirators and surgical masks

It's cherry-picking to grab the entire summary from the front page of your link?  Do you even read these?  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It's cherry-picking to grab the entire summary from the front page of your link?  Do you even read these?  :dunno:

@Cdub100  apparently you don't read them, because your latest failure compares N95 vs. surgical masks.

Conclusion: The use of N95 respirators compared with surgical masks is not associated with a
lower risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza. It suggests that N95 respirators should not be rec-
ommended for general public and nonhigh-risk medical staff those are not in close contact with
influenza patients or suspected patients

also your study of 17 studies concluded that there was some evidence that it helps to protect others if you wear a mask.  Which means some found evidence that it did, and some inconclusive.

You've wasted my time three times now and I haven't even had to click into an article.  :(  I'm heading out soon to an appointment for the rest of the day, knock yourself out posting more worthless links.  Or maybe this is where you learn something. :dunno:

Just now, jerryskids said:

You highlighted two sentences in a whole study. Did you actually read the study? Or did you find the conclusion you wanted and went with that. 

Here's ANOTHER study

Just now, Cdub100 said:

You highlighted two sentences in a whole study. Did you actually read the study? Or did you find the conclusion you wanted and went with that. 

Here's ANOTHER study

See above.  :(

I highlighted the conclusion. :dunno:

🍿

Fock.  Stupid mask.  Now I gotta clean up the floor. :mad:

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

@Cdub100  apparently you don't read them, because your latest failure compares N95 vs. surgical masks.

also your study of 17 studies concluded that there was some evidence that it helps to protect others if you wear a mask.  Which means some found evidence that it did, and some inconclusive.

You've wasted my time three times now and I haven't even had to click into an article.  :(  I'm heading out soon to an appointment for the rest of the day, knock yourself out posting more worthless links.  Or maybe this is where you learn something. :dunno:

I've wasted your time? You've brought nothing other than cherry-picking one sentence out of full studies. You're one buddy at least posted one study albeit a Chinese article. 

You seem pretty set in your ways and despite multiple studies that reference dozens of other studies. You've brought zero, but sh1tty internet troll arguing. 

1 minute ago, supermike80 said:

New Zealand locked down again.  Over 4 cases 

Yeah they really are awesome!!

🙄

Four focking cases and:

The new restrictions mean that businesses including restaurants, bars and non-essential shops will have to close. People will also now only be allowed to leave their homes to conduct essential activities such as picking up supplies from grocery stores. Gatherings over 10 people will also be restricted in Auckland.

I'll take my chances.

Face masks serve to take people’s individuality from them. Even though there a many different kinds it is a uniform to steal individualism because they are all face mask people. 

6 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

I've wasted your time? You've brought nothing other than cherry-picking one sentence out of full studies. You're one buddy at least posted one study albeit a Chinese article. 

You seem pretty set in your ways and despite multiple studies that reference dozens of other studies. You've brought zero, but sh1tty internet troll arguing. 

Hopefully I brought an analysis of your links which clearly you failed to do.  I presume you have a list of allegedly supportive links from some anti-masker site, since you whip them out so quickly.  YOU are the one who claims science every time you comment on the topic, and I merely asked for links to this science.  I was actually hoping you had some.

Regardless, I would agree that one of us is set in his ways.  I'm not even really a masker, as I think in general we should let it run through the population and establish herd immunity.  But in general I'm like HT -- I wear it if the places I go to ask me to wear it, and as a courtesy to the people who work there.  Your summary of 17 studies stated that there is some evidence that it helps to prevent spread from the wearer.  I presume that in that list of 17 stories which support this conclusion are studies which led to this conclusion, so there you go, read your own link. This is common sense, and no amount of "your breath is restricted and you might suffocate on the 12 second walk from the front door to the restaurant table" will change that. 

18 hours ago, tanatastic said:

Russians say they now have the vaccine. Putin approved. You guys on the first flight?

Its booked. I'm on the second

14 hours ago, jerryskids said:

The CDC has always maintained (before covid) that sick people should wear masks. They have never, not once,  said that healthy people should. :dunno:

15 hours ago, Strike said:

“Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”

If I saw someone wearing a mask in teleconference, I would say "I cant believe idiots like this work for DNR". 

Maybe Im off on my history, but these are the dangerous group-think things that I think about when contemplating our gov being taken over by communists.  The gov knows best...dont question anything and fall in line.

10 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The CDC has always maintained (before covid) that sick people should wear masks. They have never, not once,  said that healthy people should. :dunno:

Nope, just clueless tyrannical governor's.  And as we see here, we have plenty of idiots willing to throw their liberty out the window for useless horseschit. 

43 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

You do know why they call in novel coronavirus? Because it is new and has not happened before. The guidance has to be changed based on the behavior of the virus and comparing to it prior outbreaks is pointless.

Given that there could be 40% of infected people who are asymptomatic, then widespread use of masks is a very simple method of slowing the spread. Are they annoying? yes, but if they help the spread, then it is really no big deal.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

7 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

These knit masks, Im sure, are very effective.

Probably depends on what is under the knitting. Same with the mask that someone described above where they pulled out all of the inner layers to "help them breathe". :lol:

2 hours ago, TimmySmith said:

Do you know you don't have it?

2 hours ago, drobeski said:

Nope, just clueless tyrannical governor's.  And as we see here, we have plenty of idiots willing to throw their liberty out the window for useless horseschit. 

It’s a mask. Even if it helps stop the spread 10% it’s worth it.  Good grief.  

12 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I've been stuck in my house for 5 months plus.  It's reasonable to assume I don't have it.

I’m just curious where people are being required to wear a mask, outside of work? If a business makes you wear one, don’t go there. All these fights I see are in stores. Don’t go to that  store if you don’t want to wear it. If your employer is requiring it take it up with them. But those people won’t, because they have no balls.  

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

Mandates for mask use in public during the recent COVID-19 pandemic, worsened by global shortage of commercial supplies, have led to widespread use of homemade masks and mask alternatives. It is assumed that wearing such masks reduces the likelihood for an infected person to spread the disease, but many of these mask designs have not been tested in practice. We have demonstrated a simple optical measurement method to evaluate the efficacy of masks to reduce the transmission of respiratory droplets during regular speech. In proof-of-principle studies, we compared a variety of commonly available mask types and observed that some mask types approach the performance of standard surgical masks, while some mask alternatives, such as neck fleece or bandanas, offer very little protection. Our measurement setup is inexpensive and can be built and operated by non-experts, allowing for rapid evaluation of mask performance during speech, sneezing, or coughing.

Cliff Notes:  N95 masks are best at reducing droplets.   The standard surgical masks are second best.  Neck Gaiters do nothing, maybe worse.

7 minutes ago, Strike said:

I've been stuck in my house for 5 months plus.  It's reasonable to assume I don't have it.

If you plan to go out today for the first time in 5 months, and your girlfriend hasn't been out recently, then yay verily you don't need a mask.  Anyone else who has physical proximity with others and thinks it is their "liberty" to put the poor grocery store cashier at risk is being selfish.  HTH

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

You have literally not gone out in public in 5 months? No interaction even with some close relatives or neighbors?

5 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’m just curious where people are being required to wear a mask, outside of work? If a business makes you wear one, don’t go there. All these fights I see are in stores. Don’t go to that  store if you don’t want to wear it. If your employer is requiring it take it up with them. But those people won’t, because they have no balls.  

That makes too much sense. 

If we have people in our office, they know that they need to wear a mask when they are in areas where they may be in close proximity to others. They have to agree to it before they go into the office and they have to self certify that they currently have no symptoms. If they don't like it, they can work from home.

55 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

What does that have to do with CDC scientific studies?  :dunno:

28 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If you plan to go out today for the first time in 5 months, and your girlfriend hasn't been out recently, then yay verily you don't need a mask.  Anyone else who has physical proximity with others and thinks it is their "liberty" to put the poor grocery store cashier at risk is being selfish.  HTH

I keep my distance,  BJs delivers my groceries and my beer store has a plexiglass wall in front of them. 

Good enough?

By the way... the new talking point youre all sadly falling for is "cases"  

So what if there are more cases ... what's that mean. Are the death counts rising ? No they aren't. They dropped like crazy when governors stopped forcing covid positives into nursings homes. 

Masks have drasticallly slowed down our ability to develop herd immunity to this thing. That is not a good thing. 

Bottom line, quarantine and protect those that are vulnerable... they did the opposite at the beginning. Deliberately.....

There are those that want to this to go as slow and go as bas as possible.  Stop being one of them.