Cdub100

Amazon will remove Parler from their servers. Free speech is dying!

47 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Even the ACLU is against this.  

The only political organization I routinely donate to. Conservatives hate the ACLU, maybe they’ll change their tune now. :thumbsup: 

49 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Even the ACLU is against this.  

Quick google didn't turn up anything, is there something specific you saw..I'd be interested in reading their rationale.

Just now, MDC said:

The only political organization I routinely donate to. Conservatives hate the ACLU, maybe they’ll change their tune now. :thumbsup: 

I am a big proponent of free speech, so i respect their consistent stand on the issue.  I disagree with their stance against religious free speech, but in general the ACLU is good on this issue.  

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Quick google didn't turn up anything, is there something specific you saw..I'd be interested in reading their rationale.

ACLU Counsel Warns of 'Unchecked Power' of Twitter, Facebook After Trump Suspension
BY NATALIE COLAROSSI ON 1/09/21 AT 1:21 PM EST
NEWS DONALD TRUMP ACLU TWITTER FACEBOOK
Alegislative counsel member of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) warned Friday that the suspension of President Donald Trump's social media accounts wielded "unchecked power," by Twitter and Facebook.

Kate Ruane, a senior legislative counsel at the ACLU said in a statement that the decision to suspend Trump from social media could set a precedent for big tech companies to silence less privileged voices.

"For months, President Trump has been using social media platforms to seed doubt about the results of the election and to undermine the will of voters. We understand the desire to permanently suspend him now, but it should concern everyone when companies like Facebook and Twitter wield the unchecked power to remove people from platforms that have become indispensable for the speech of billions – especially when political realities make those decisions easier," the statement read.

Newsweek subscription offers >
"President Trump can turn his press team or Fox News to communicate with the public, but others – like many Black, Brown, and LGTBQ activists who have been censored by social media companies – will not have that luxury. It is our hope that these companies will apply their rules transparently to everyone.

The ACLU warned Friday that permanently banning Trump from social media wields "unchecked power" by big tech companies. Here, the suspended Twitter account of U.S. President Donald Trump appears on an iPhone screen on January 08, 2021 in San Anselmo, California.

The ACLU isn't the only voice in the legal community citing concern over the move to suspend Trump.

"I want a wide range of ideas, even those I loathe, to be heard, and I think Twitter especially holds a concerning degree of power over public discourse," Gregory P. Magarian, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis told The New York Times.

On Friday, Twitter announced that Trump would be permanently suspended from its platform "due to the risk of further incitement of violence."

The social media site placed a temporary ban on Trump's account Wednesday after a mob of his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, leaving five people dead—including a police officer—and many more injured.

After he regained access to his account, Trump wrote a tweet in which he called his supporters "American patriots," who will have "a GIANT VOICE long into the future." In a separate message, he said that he would not be attending President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration.

In response, Twitter said: "After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence."

Facebook has also suspended Trump from using its platform until at least the end of his presidential term.

"We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement on Thursday.

"Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete."

On Friday, Trump condemned the tech companies for silencing him and said he will "look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future."

Newsweek reached out the ACLU for additional comment, but did not hear back in time for publication.

READ MORE
REQUEST REPRINT & LICENSING OR VIEW EDITORIAL GUIDELINES

1 minute ago, jonmx said:

ACLU Counsel Warns of 'Unchecked Power' of Twitter, Facebook After Trump Suspension
BY NATALIE COLAROSSI ON 1/09/21 AT 1:21 PM EST
NEWS DONALD TRUMP ACLU TWITTER FACEBOOK
Alegislative counsel member of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) warned Friday that the suspension of President Donald Trump's social media accounts wielded "unchecked power," by Twitter and Facebook.

Kate Ruane, a senior legislative counsel at the ACLU said in a statement that the decision to suspend Trump from social media could set a precedent for big tech companies to silence less privileged voices.

"For months, President Trump has been using social media platforms to seed doubt about the results of the election and to undermine the will of voters. We understand the desire to permanently suspend him now, but it should concern everyone when companies like Facebook and Twitter wield the unchecked power to remove people from platforms that have become indispensable for the speech of billions – especially when political realities make those decisions easier," the statement read.

"President Trump can turn his press team or Fox News to communicate with the public, but others – like many Black, Brown, and LGTBQ activists who have been censored by social media companies – will not have that luxury. It is our hope that these companies will apply their rules transparently to everyone.

The ACLU warned Friday that permanently banning Trump from social media wields "unchecked power" by big tech companies. Here, the suspended Twitter account of U.S. President Donald Trump appears on an iPhone screen on January 08, 2021 in San Anselmo, California.

The ACLU isn't the only voice in the legal community citing concern over the move to suspend Trump.

"I want a wide range of ideas, even those I loathe, to be heard, and I think Twitter especially holds a concerning degree of power over public discourse," Gregory P. Magarian, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis told The New York Times.

On Friday, Twitter announced that Trump would be permanently suspended from its platform "due to the risk of further incitement of violence."

The social media site placed a temporary ban on Trump's account Wednesday after a mob of his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol, leaving five people dead—including a police officer—and many more injured.

After he regained access to his account, Trump wrote a tweet in which he called his supporters "American patriots," who will have "a GIANT VOICE long into the future." In a separate message, he said that he would not be attending President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration.

In response, Twitter said: "After close review of recent Tweets from the @realDonaldTrump account and the context around them — specifically how they are being received and interpreted on and off Twitter — we have permanently suspended the account due to the risk of further incitement of violence."

Facebook has also suspended Trump from using its platform until at least the end of his presidential term.

"We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said in a statement on Thursday.

"Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete."

On Friday, Trump condemned the tech companies for silencing him and said he will "look at the possibilities of building out our own platform in the near future."

Newsweek reached out the ACLU for additional comment, but did not hear back in time for publication.

READ MORE
REQUEST REPRINT & LICENSING OR VIEW EDITORIAL GUIDELINES

Thanks, that was about the only thing i saw..."concern", but nothing within a legal/constitutional framework. Worth following.  

The ACLU ain’t what it used to be. Even they admit to their bias. This is a weak attempt to foster the notion they are still just about free speech and civil rights. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

Thanks, that was about the only thing i saw..."concern", but nothing within a legal/constitutional framework. Worth following.  

I think Twitter / Facebook etc. banning Trump’s account is more problematic than Amazon refusing to host Parler too. We know Twitter applies their terms unevenly, can’t say the same about Amazon.

11 minutes ago, jonmx said:

I am a big proponent of free speech, so i respect their consistent stand on the issue.  I disagree with their stance against religious free speech, but in general the ACLU is good on this issue.  

Were good on this issue. They are just another left wing advocacy group. George Soros gave them 50 million when they were broke. He owns them now. 

Of course the ACLU spins it negatively against Trump and cites minorities instead of just stating the obvious, but none-the-less even they can see this is overreach.  

At least we have this lightly trafficked message board protecting our Freedom of Speech!!

36 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

At least we have this lightly trafficked message board protecting our Freedom of Speech!!

Give it a couple of years. Some band of snowflakes will find this place and get it shut down, or at least seriously curtailed.

5 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

Give it a couple of years. Some band of snowflakes will find this place and get it shut down, or at least seriously curtailed.

This place will be fine as long as people don't jump on the bandwagon with JustinCharge and start planning a civil war.

Big tech needs to be brought up on racketeering charges.  

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

This place will be fine as long as people don't jump on the bandwagon with JustinCharge and start planning a civil war.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about that happening. I'm more concerned with the threshold being lowered.

I don't have time to read this whole thing but I do have 2 questions.....

1) Is there a Libtard here that thinks that shutting down free speech is a good thing?

2) How can the average person think that any Party is not wrong / evil for doing such a thing? 

I think you all are upset about this “free speech” Parler being shut down as long as it’s a website supporting your beliefs and protecting your lives. 
I don’t think for a minute you’d bat an eye if they shut down Al Queda or Taliban websites.

(Listen to all the excuses that just flooded into your brain)

23 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I don't have time to read this whole thing but I do have 2 questions.....

1) Is there a Libtard here that thinks that shutting down free speech is a good thing?

2) How can the average person think that any Party is not wrong / evil for doing such a thing? 

1. There are limits on free speech. The classic example is yelling “fire” in a crowded theater. Inciting violence against an individual or group (or the US Government) is not protected by the first amendment.

2. The platforms being used for communication are private companies, not owned by the government. They are absolutely within their rights to block users per their site’s terms of service. Do you want the government to tell these companies what they can or cannot host? Should the government force them to give a voice to whomever wants to use their platform? Some people might recall a recent Supreme Court case in which a baker refused to make a cake for a gay wedding. He was allowed to refuse them service due to his opposition to their beliefs. Therefore, these social media platforms can also refuse service if they oppose the beliefs being espoused by their users.

I personally do not have any social media accounts. I think it’s silly that people think they are “silenced” because they can’t use FB or Twitter. There are many, many other ways to communicate, online and offline. If you don’t like what FB Twitter are doing, boycott them. They will suffer financially and might change their policies to accommodate you.

• Thanks 1

Just now, peenie said:

I think you all are upset about this “free speech” Parler being shut down as long as it’s a website supporting your beliefs and protecting your lives. 
I don’t think for a minute you’d bat an eye if they shut down Al Queda or Taliban websites.

I would love it if Terrorists openly discussed their upcoming plans.  Why wouldn't I? 

Just now, peenie said:

Seriously? That's what you are comparing it to?

If anybody had an account on Parler, you MIGHT want to change all your passwords, and if you scanned in your drivers’ license for an account, you might want to change your name and move....

Sounds like Parler’s owners don’t know much about internet security:

3 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Seriously? That's what you are comparing it to?

See? See how easy it is for you to think one is bad and the other is not. 
You either believe in free speech or you don’t?

4 minutes ago, peenie said:

So the answer is 'yes'. Wow.

11 minutes ago, peenie said:

I would LOVE IT if Al Queda or the Taliban made it public as to what their intensions were.  Wouldn't you?  If not, why not?

15 minutes ago, dogcows said:

If anybody had an account on Parler, you MIGHT want to change all your passwords, and if you scanned in your drivers’ license for an account, you might want to change your name and move....

Sounds like Parler’s owners don’t know much about internet security:

Why would anyone scan in their driver's license to open an account? I signed up, and just had to give an e-mail address and phone#. I guess I might see some more spam phone calls, that's about it. :dunno:

36 minutes ago, peenie said:

Congrats thats one of the most retarded things i've ever read. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

Seriously? An educated person such as yourself is really saying this? 

FFS, Peenie. 

Twitter got their partners in big tech to get rid of the competition. 

As I stated in the other thread..

George Orwell wrote a book warning us about this kinda crap.

Sigh!!

Notice how you don’t mind MAGA hat wearers or CEOs or off duty policeman or military vets writing about overthrowing the government and starting a revolution but you think Muslim groups discussing those same topics are clearly over the line. 

I’ve never been there, but apparently many of you have. From an article the author says that it’s a place where people go to:

specifically to share racist slurs and violent threats toward political opponents. On Parler, Nazi imagery flourishes, death threats abound, and conspiracy theories reign.

6 minutes ago, peenie said:

Notice how you don’t mind MAGA hat wearers or CEOs or off duty policeman or military vets writing about overthrowing the government and starting a revolution but you think Muslim groups discussing those same topics are clearly over the line. 

Let me know when the other guys fly planes into buildings. 

1 hour ago, peenie said:

You're equating Parler to Terrorism.

1 minute ago, BLS said:

You're equating Parler to Terrorism.

I’ve never been there, I wouldn’t know. Fill me in.

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Let me know when the other guys fly planes into buildings. 

Neither group claimed responsibility for 9/11. 

Just now, peenie said:

I’ve never been there, I wouldn’t know. Fill me in.

I'd love to, but someone deemed it 'unworthy' and they shut down a business because they don't like it.

I opened an account yesterday morning.  By 10pm it was offline.

10 minutes ago, peenie said:

I’ve never been there, but apparently many of you have. From an article the author says that it’s a place where people go to:

specifically to share racist slurs and violent threats toward political opponents. On Parler, Nazi imagery flourishes, death threats abound, and conspiracy theories reign.

So protesting an election is equivalent to terrorism, but taking over city building for month.... is what?

You guys make me sick. I really enjoy some of your comments and value your experiences and point of view. But I have no desire to spend my free moments with crazy radicals. 
Goodbye!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So protesting an election WITH WEAPONS is terrorism

taking over city building for month.... is what?

A protest