Stryker Ryker

Gonna have to put my dog down

I already know I’m going to have to. It’s just a matter of how many days left he has. Yesterday he was fine. Left him that morning to go get my wife a new car. Got back and he wouldn’t move. Wouldn’t walk. Wouldn’t go outside. Wouldn’t eat. He’s got a mass on his back leg that must have turned and made it to where he’s in pain & can’t move. Called off work and him to the vet today since he still didn’t move from his bed. Had to load him up in the bed & take him in the vet on it. Since he’s so old there isn’t much they can do. He’s 11 and with how bad the mass in the only way to fully get rid of it is to amputate and I’m NOT doing that to my 11 year old dog. So we are gonna do the meds for the next few days but I don’t see how he’s gonna improve. Currently have him outside in the sun on his bed since he absolutely LOVES outside and the feel of the grass. Gonna go get him a steak & some hotdogs to hopefully get him to eat something. He was the first dog I ever bought on my own, raised myself, and did everything for. My cat might’ve been my first animal I took care of but he was my first dog & my boy. 

• Sad 5

Sorry to hear about your dog. Dunno what the surgery would cost but I see a lot of dogs who are missing a leg and 11 isn’t that old if he doesn’t have issues other than the growth.  

So sorry to hear this.   Having to put down a pet is so hard, but is an eventuality every pet owner has to face.  :cry:

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

Sorry to hear about your dog. Dunno what the surgery would cost but I see a lot of dogs who are missing a leg and 11 isn’t that old if he doesn’t have issues other than the growth.  

He’s an 11 year old catahoula. They live 10-13 years. So I knew he was getting close to his life expectancy. I just thought it would’ve been more gradual instead of all of a sudden he’s not walking or eating. Vet herself didn’t want to amputate either with how he is cause that might not even fix his issues. I’m on my way to go get him a steak & some hot dogs so he will hopefully eat something. He wouldn’t even eat the soft canned food at the vet they tried feeding him with a tongue depressor so he wouldn’t have to get himself. He didn’t want that :( 

4 minutes ago, Stryker Ryker said:

He’s an 11 year old catahoula. They live 10-13 years. So I knew he was getting close to his life expectancy. I just thought it would’ve been more gradual instead of all of a sudden he’s not walking or eating. Vet herself didn’t want to amputate either with how he is cause that might not even fix his issues. I’m on my way to go get him a steak & some hot dogs so he will hopefully eat something. He wouldn’t even eat the soft canned food at the vet they tried feeding him with a tongue depressor so he wouldn’t have to get himself. He didn’t want that :( 

Very sorry to hear. pups are the best.

Sorry to hear this. Know that you gave him a great life and doing right by him right until the end. Damn I hate this part of having a doggo

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

Depends on the bread of the dog, for some 11 is very old, not so for others.  

Oooohhhhhhh f0ck.

So sorry. 

I've done it twice. Those two times plus my grandfather's death were the 3 worst day's of my life. Very much T's & P's. 

After you get time to mourn and process. If you want to do it again, and you're ready. Get a rescue in your little buddies memory. You'll never be able to replace him. But you'll be able to start another chapter in your life, and save a life in the process.

Sorry man, it's a tough time.  It's hard, but you have done right by him his entire life and you will be doing the right thing for him now.  

Funny you said you were going shopping.

My dog's have always ate just dog food. Very minimum table scraps. And that's mostly my wife just doing it and me shaking my head.

But both times I knew I had to do the deed. The night before, I bought the best looking, biggest steak I saw at the store. Grilled that f0cker to perfection. And said come and get it. I still swear, between that and the cuddles. That was the best day they ever had.

I've always said if there was something I wish for is our pets being able to tell us where and what hurts.  

4 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Funny you said you were going shopping.

My dog's have always ate just dog food. Very minimum table scraps. And that's mostly my wife just doing it and me shaking my head.

But both times I knew I had to do the deed. The night before, I bought the best looking, biggest steak I saw at the store. Grilled that f0cker to perfection. And said come and get it. I still swear, between that and the cuddles. That was the best day they ever had.

Previous dog to this one.  He was struggling, you could just tell.   I took him outside on a warm day and we laid on the grass together.  Warm sun on him,  me petting him etc.   I wanna believe he liked that day.   He died the next morning.  Poor fella.

25 minutes ago, Stryker Ryker said:

Understood.

When I had my 12 y/o Boston terrier put down 3 years ago I kept wondering if I was pulling the cord too soon. In hindsight I probably kept him going longer than I should. Tough decision but you’ll do what’s best for your boy.

Sorry to hear it. 

41 minutes ago, Stryker Ryker said:

I already know I’m going to have to. It’s just a matter of how many days left he has. Yesterday he was fine. Left him that morning to go get my wife a new car. Got back and he wouldn’t move. Wouldn’t walk. Wouldn’t go outside. Wouldn’t eat. He’s got a mass on his back leg that must have turned and made it to where he’s in pain & can’t move. Called off work and him to the vet today since he still didn’t move from his bed. Had to load him up in the bed & take him in the vet on it. Since he’s so old there isn’t much they can do. He’s 11 and with how bad the mass in the only way to fully get rid of it is to amputate and I’m NOT doing that to my 11 year old dog. So we are gonna do the meds for the next few days but I don’t see how he’s gonna improve. Currently have him outside in the sun on his bed since he absolutely LOVES outside and the feel of the grass. Gonna go get him a steak & some hotdogs to hopefully get him to eat something. He was the first dog I ever bought on my own, raised myself, and did everything for. My cat might’ve been my first animal I took care of but he was my first dog & my boy. 

Been 40 years since I put down my first dog.  I still grieve when I think of her.  I also hold the joy of her near and dear. Best relationship I ever had with man or beast.  Don't tell my wife.

Just now, supermike80 said:

I've always said if there was something I wish for is our pets being able to tell us where and what hurts.  

gonna tell a story

first things first, I had never taken mushrooms in my life, I smoke weed maybe once every few months, I dont drink or anything else.  I also was the most skeptical atheist I have ever known

on my 47th birthday (2 years ago) I took a gram of mushrooms for the first time in my life, I took about a gram, I was doing it recreational with the gal I was seeing and my bro in law and sister we were all hanging out.  I had a 6 year old great dane, who I knew was sick but only 6! so I couldn't get myself to do it.  Anyways a couple hours into the night of the journey, my dog Dixon came and laid in my lap, I was on the same plane as him.  We were able to communicate on another level.  He told me he was ready to go, that he was hurting really bad and trying to stick it out for me, but he just couldnt anymore.  Now the skeptic in my was that the mushrooms made me rationalize differently and justify what I already knew was true, but it is what it is.  I was crying the other 3 were looking at me and I told them. 

The next morning I woke up and I was like F this, they made me want to kill my dog.  Yet as I saw him he walked right to the door.  This is a dog that wouldnt get on a leash, wouldn't get in the car, etc.  He hopped in the car and I took him to the vet.  he got right on the scale and weighed 85 lbs, (normal 130) so I knew what I knew.  We went back into the vets office and he laid in my lap.  I pet him a few times, and I swear to this day he passed before he got the injection.  He was at peace.  He didn't gasp like every other animal I had with their last breath.

anyways I always will try that again when the next time comes

30 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Previous dog to this one.  He was struggling, you could just tell.   I took him outside on a warm day and we laid on the grass together.  Warm sun on him,  me petting him etc.   I wanna believe he liked that day.   He died the next morning.  Poor fella.

That’s currently what I’m doing with him. We took him out of the car in his bed & laid him in our backyard on the grass. Out here with him, my other dog, the black cat we have that loves to go outside during the day but inside at night, wife, & son. Wanted to get some pictures & videos of our son with him cause we don’t have that many of them together. Mostly the other dog cause she’s more active. He started not being able to walk far after my son was born so when we’ve walked him it’s usually just to the stop sign & back which is maybe 50-70 yards down from our house. That’s about all the energy he’d have. Any farther & he’s dragging his feet. So today we are just gonna lay outside with him and try to feed him some good food like steak & hot dogs. 

His eyes are what has me about to break down. You can see it in his eyes that he’s hurting, he’s sad, and how he just wants his dad to lay there with him petting him 😢

Oh, man, I'm really sorry @Stryker Ryker.  That's just awful.

We had to put down our 13 year old Schnoodle about a year ago (liver failure) that grew up with us and our kids so I know the pain you're going thru.    It's just awful and I'm hoping that he will miraculously be fixed with the meds.

Sucks.  shame they don't have a longer lifespan.

My thoughts to you guys

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Oh, man, I'm really sorry @Stryker Ryker.  That's just awful.

We had to put down our 13 year old Schnoodle about a year ago (liver failure) that grew up with us and our kids so I know the pain you're going thru.    It's just awful and I'm hoping that he will miraculously be fixed with the meds.

It really sucks. I got him a few months after my ex of 10 years up & left me in San Antonio to go back home to be with a 45 year old (we were 23 at the time). So I was crushed but he helped save me & keep me sane while down in SA by myself in the AF. All my friends had someone so it was just me. Then I got him & spent all my time with him. He really is/was a good dog. Out of all the dogs I’ve had and met he’s been the absolute best dog. He was my dads & moms favorite cause of how calm, chill, and laid back he was. Got along great with all other dogs, cats, and humans. The standard he set is gonna be hard to meet. My lab might’ve been our adventure dog & one I take for all outdoor stuff but my boy Chevy was one in a million. 

• Like 1

Damn, that sucks. I can still feel how soft the hair on the top of Foxie's head was while we waited for the injection to take effect. Why do dogs have to be so awesome?

Just now, Fnord said:

Damn, that sucks. I can still feel how soft the hair on the top of Foxie's head was while we waited for the injection to take effect. Why do dogs have to be so awesome?

They’ve got an injection that increases their lifespan by essentially double. They haven’t released it yet but it’s had ALOT of promising results. They have one for cats too. If I could, I wouldn’t hesitate to give him that. It’s also proven to essentially reverse aging in them & get them back healthier. However, even with it I doubt he’d have much of a chance. I think it’s a little too late for my boy. I’ll just have to do what I can with him: make his last few days special, shower him with love, give him all the best foods, etc. I’ve made sure he knows I love him constantly even before all this. Just going up to him, looking him in his eyes, and rubbing his head/scratching his ears & telling him I love him. He’s also gotten the steak & hotdogs a good bit in his life cause I like making sure everyone in my house knows i love them, how much they mean to me, and that I’m always there for them. I can’t stress enough how much I do that cause I want to make sure they know they’re loved 

• Like 1

Breaks my heart.  But that dog has awakened every day knowing he gets to see his best friend. 

I bet he lived well.  So sorry for your loss.  The world needs more good dogs;  and loving dog owners like you.

• Like 1

We got a pupper in August, on my sons birthday. He is 8 months old now. PAIN THE FOCKING ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So hyper, so much energy, I still love the fock. We think he is a hound/pit mix.  .

3 hours ago, Stryker Ryker said:

Catahoula’s are the LA state dog. They love to bird watch. I had a Dalmatian that went through something similar. You can ball up soft food and force feed them. Just put it all to the back of their throat. They automatically swallow it. Good luck my friend. Sorry.😟

I keep coming back to this thread.  Maybe I'm in the mood for sad stories.  My wife and I try to tell ourselves our animals were not intended to live longer than us and we take comfort in the fact that the life we gave them was safe and warm and full of love, treats, and friendship.   Knowing how horrible people can be to animals at times, we feel good that we were able to give that to another.  

And once a fair amount of mourning passes for our buddies, we are off to the shelter to get another one and give them that life too.

I love animals.  

So sorry man.  Went through this a couple years ago when our dog got to where he couldn't get up over a weekend.  He was 12 1/2 or so at the time.  One of the hardest things I had to witness wasn't the being with him at the end but having to watch my two daughters basically say goodbye to him on a Monday morning before they had to leave for school.  My youngest was 7 and she always is an optimist and just knew the vet was going to find a way to make him walk again when I took him in that morning.  She got off the bus and had to tell her no he wasn't home and she just loses it.  My other one stopped and looked back at him one last time before walking out. 

You will know when it's time, hoping the meds work and buy you some more days or months.  But you'll know in your heart when it's time.

Yeah. My second dog. Had all sorts of tumors. My mom spent a fortune having them drained and getting him injections. I took him out back and I had the .22. He knew.