Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Corruption in NFL?

The formula of choice here is: PV/T(1) = PV/T(2). Presuming that the 70 degree air in the ball was the same as the temperature outside of the ball when it was filled, if you take it outside where it is much colder, then once the temperature inside the ball stabilizes, the pressure will be the same.

Why did my tires lose 3 psi of pressure from last night until this morning when temps dropped from around 30 degrees to 0 degrees?

Why did my tires lose 3 psi of pressure from last night until this morning when temps dropped from around 30 degrees to 0 degrees?

Back last year when you put air in them, you used really cold air inspite it being really hot outside. So any time the temperature goes up or down, chaos ensues within your tires.

• Like 1

I dunno about the kick but after watching 30 years of football, I'm convinced refs are "highly encouraged" to keep games (especially big games) close for ratings. College and pro.

Let's say team A is up 20-10 in the 4th quarter and throws a 40 yard incompletion (borderline interference). PI almost never gets called.

Flip the script and the team down 20-10 almost always gets the call.

That's just one example. Late hits at that point in the game seem to go up exponentially, as well.

I THINK I see what you did there. i think

:D

Also, my condolences that your cousin is in custody, El Padrone.

Sad times. Sad times :(

The formula of choice here is: PV/T(1) = PV/T(2). Presuming that the 70 degree air in the ball was the same as the temperature outside of the ball when it was filled, if you take it outside where it is much colder, then once the temperature inside the ball stabilizes, the pressure will be the same.

Ugh... assuming volume is constant throughout the temperature range, or at least volume change is negligible enough to ignore it, then P(1)/T(1) = P(2)/T(2).

Using absolute pressure and temperature as required by the ideal gas law, assuming 13 psig and 70 degree F initial air at "standard" atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psia, and -5 degree F outside air:

27.7psia/530 deg R = X psia/455 deg R

X = 23.78 psia = 9.08 psig

Back last year when you put air in them, you used really cold air inspite it being really hot outside. So any time the temperature goes up or down, chaos ensues within your tires.

Tires love chaos. :mad:

No, I believe that teams that tamper with balls make them deflate.

A ball in cold weather like that will feel hard as a rock...not soft. (Which is why Brady wanted less air in his to be able to grip a harder and slicker ball better).

I think balls feel harder because of the pliability of the leather from which they are made. Cold leather = stiff.

The ball is filled indoors with 70 degree air. The ball is taken outside into -5 degree air. The air inside the ball becomes colder by heat transfer thru the bladder and skin. The ball loses pressure as its inside air cools.

This makes sense to me. The tire analogy does as well.

This doesn't.

Ugh... assuming volume is constant throughout the temperature range, or at least volume change is negligible enough to ignore it, then P(1)/T(1) = P(2)/T(2).

Using absolute pressure and temperature as required by the ideal gas law, assuming 13 psig and 70 degree F initial air at "standard" atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psia, and -5 degree F outside air:

This also makes sense. Whether it impacts kicking accuracy is another matter. As I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum in light of deflategate, who is correct?

Your standard conspiracy theorists are already saying that Walsh or the holder had some big money on the game. Do I belive it? Of course not.

And the ONLY bet they could've had would've been the Seattle Moneyline,if they had the spread they were screwed good kick or not.

Oh and peenie the possibility of the NFL being corrupt has been a topic for years,in fact I own the book in the following video where the author is interviewed.I'll just say it's a great read and really makes one wonder especially when it comes to Vegas spreads and the over/unders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv0wgLLzX10

Oh and peenie the possibility of the NFL being corrupt has been a topic for years,in fact I own the book in the following video where the author is interviewed.I'll just say it's a great read and really makes one wonder especially when it comes to Vegas spreads and the over/unders.

Pat Sajak?

I think balls feel harder because of the pliability of the leather from which they are made. Cold leather = stiff.

This makes sense to me. The tire analogy does as well.

This doesn't.

This also makes sense. Whether it impacts kicking accuracy is another matter. As I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum in light of deflategate, who is correct?

I am correct. As far as kicking accuracy goes, that's determined by the center, the holder, and the kicker. In this case, Walsh shat the bed.

:thumbsup:

Good thing I'm an electrical engineer. :dunno:

I know my balls feel firmer in the cold. They also beer to the left. :dunno:

Did you guys see the kick? It wasn't kind of off, it was allllll the way crazy to the left! First off all, regarding the temperature, it was the warmest it had been all day by the time that kick happened. Furthermore, he made all the other kicks when it was colder and much farther away. My mom even said she could have made it from that distance. Come on guys, this man has been kicking from that distance regularly. That kick was waaaaayyyyy off, not slightly off. It looked purposely done not mistakenly made.

You're discounting the mental effect of a pressure situation. Plus, nobody has ever been 100% accurate in any sport.

The best free throw shooters in the NBA never reach 100%. The best QBs in the NFL still throw an interception or 2. And the best infielders in baseball don't play 100% error free for their entire career.

Misses, shanks, boots and brain farts happen in every year in every sport all the time.

Just this year, the most dependable kicker in the league (Robbie Gould) shanked 2 in a game that cost his team the win. He followed that up with another botched attempt the following week to lose the game again.

There are definitely some forms of corruption in the NFL, just not this kind.

Good thing I'm an electrical engineer. :dunno:

You mean a fake electrical engineer, right? I'm a fake mechanical engineer.

Pat Sajak?

:D Had his own talk show too and not near as interesting as the book Interference.

The kicker choked. It had nothing to do with laces facing out or the air pressure in the ball. If you watched the whole game, you'll remember that Richard Sherman came flying in from the kickers right side and nearly blocked a kick. I was thinking about that while he was lining up for the game winning kick, and maybe he was thinking about it too because he pulled it way to the left away from the side that Sherman was lined up.

And Jerry, there are professors from your alma mater who say that footballs will lose pressure when the temperature drops. How did you graduate?

Is it possible that there is some shenanigans going on in the NFL?

How is it possible that Walsh missed that kick?

Some stated that from that distance the kick makes it 97% of the time.

It seemed really strange to me that he didn't make it.

Years from now if it comes out that the NFL is nothing more than a glorified WWE, remember you heard it here first.

I have a feeling that years from now, the only thing that we'll remember about this post is the absurdity of it.

You mean a fake electrical engineer, right? I'm a fake mechanical engineer.

Of course. Also I don't know what I was thinking last night; this deflate gate math should be fresh in my mind.

It's a well known phenomenon. Happens every year in northern climates that people need to fill up their tires around November for this very reason.

But Jerry wouldn't know that, living in the desert wasteland that is Phoenix :(

Seattle seems to have a lock on playoff games that come down to a chip shot field goal in the waning seconds.

Jerry you are officially prohibited from using the "trust me, I'm an engineer" line going forward :thumbsup:

What looked weird to me is that the holder deld the ball with the point toward the goal post. Would you at least hold it straight up or towards the kicker. I think what was really a bad call an manipulation of winning a game was the Bengals and Steelers game. The refs totally won the game for the Steelers. They were looking for it. He took out Rothlesberger, there darling rapist.

Laces out

/thread should end right here

methinks the nfl ball inflaters have figured out to fill the balls outside at game temp.

methinks the nfl ball inflaters have figured out to fill the balls outside at game temp.

Maybe, and now that its being watched maybe the Patriots won't try to deflate them in order to cheat, but lets agree that they will likely find another way....

We'll see if we have to endure one more Manning/ Brady match-up :tinfoil:

:tinfoil:

The kicker choked. It had nothing to do with laces facing out or the air pressure in the ball. If you watched the whole game, you'll remember that Richard Sherman came flying in from the kickers right side and nearly blocked a kick. I was thinking about that while he was lining up for the game winning kick, and maybe he was thinking about it too because he pulled it way to the left away from the side that Sherman was lined up.

Now that is a good point I can believe.

Laces out isn't just a saying, it's a fact that they effect accuracy. More importantly, he was on the wrong side of the field. That kick is much easier if he's 5-10yds to the right.

I heard it affects distance, not accuracy

Corrupt or not,I bet on Denver on a futures bet and throughout the play-offs based on Manning getting one more ring and it worked out nicely. :thumbsup:

PV=nRT. As temperature goes down, so does pressure if everything else remains constant. What am I missing?

the inferiority complex pats haters have

Other than the refs not throwing a flag on some of the plays, I think the game was fairly won by the Broncos.

Other than the refs not throwing a flag on some of the plays, I think the game was fairly won by the Broncos.

Agree with this. On par, with pretty much any other game, the quantity and quality of the mistakes were so minimal as to be mostly irrelevant. Made the game watchable, and it wound up being the only NFL game I watched in its entirety due to the officials staying out of it.

It also helped that no cheaters were present, just two hard working teams that were fun to watch.

The Philly Brown non catch was a really bad call and it preceded the Broncos TD on D, but Denver so thoroughly dominated it's hard to say the refs were at fault. Overall though a pretty boring SB.

Didnt Broncos lose draft picks in the past for cheating? :doh:

Patriots, owning skulls since 2001! :lol:

The Philly Brown non catch was a really bad call and it preceded the Broncos TD on D, but Denver so thoroughly dominated it's hard to say the refs were at fault. Overall though a pretty boring SB.

:thumbsup: