Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

How would you respond?

I may have said here that I am part of a volunteer alumni group which interviews applicants to MIT. Yesterday was the deadline for contacting me for an interview, but we received an email from MIT to expect some requests at the deadline for a variety of reasons. Fine, no big deal, I'll accommodate. Anyway, I got this email today. It is the complete message:

Hi, I need to sign up for my interview. I would like to do it on a Saturday at Tempe marketplace, but will make adjustments if you'd rather do it on another day at another place.

No "Mr. jerryskids," no apologies for the late contact, no signing his name, hell no telling me what he wants to interview for, and he tells me where and when he wants the interview (albeit with allowing me to propose an alternate).

How would you respond?

Hi, I need to sign up for my interview. I would like to do it on a Saturday at Tempe marketplace, but will make adjustments if you'd rather do it on another day at another place.

No, you really don't. Thanks anyway.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

No need for an interview, you can start immediately. Just show up on Tuesday at 5 PM at the McDonalds on ****** Road in Tempe wearing comfortable shoes. I look forward to seeing you there. Your shift ends at midnight.

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

No need for an interview, you can start immediately. Just show up on Tuesday at 5 PM at the McDonalds on ****** Road in Tempe wearing comfortable shoes. I look forward to seeing you there. Your shift ends at midnight.

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

:first:

I'd probably compose a variety of obnoxious replies, sit on it and then tell him the truth. You're a volunteer interviewer for MIT and while you're willing to reasonably accommodate applicants the manner in which he applied - without addressing you by name or including any kind of salutation, suggesting a weekend time at an unprofessional location etc. - made a very bad first impression and that will factor into your decision. If he wants to start entirely over now is the time to do so in a professional way. But until he gets the request right you see no reason to go through with the interview.

There you go. 100% honest and totally fair. :dunno:

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

Great stuff. :lol:

I'd probably compose a variety of obnoxious replies, sit on it and then tell him the truth. You're a volunteer interviewer for MIT and while you're willing to reasonably accommodate applicants the manner in which he applied - without addressing you by name or including any kind of salutation, suggesting a weekend time at an unprofessional location etc. - made a very bad first impression and that will factor into your decision. If he wants to start entirely over now is the time to do so in a professional way. But until he gets the request right you see no reason to go through with the interview.

There you go. 100% honest and totally fair. :dunno:

I appreciate the serious response, as I am honestly trying to figure out how to handle this. My thinking is to not handle any of the "life lesson" stuff in writing, and instead to discuss it live when we meet. I'm thinking of taking the high road and showing him how an email should be written:

"Hi [doofus's name],

I will accommodate your request but I am not available on weekends. I typically meet applicants at the Starbucks at ______ at either 4:30 or 5:00 on weekdays. I will check my work calendar tomorrow and propose a date and time. If the location, date, or time cause you undue inconvenience, please let me know."

Regards,

Mr. jerryskids"

Just respond in whatever professional manner you would, meet the kid as you normally would, and give him a terrible report (assuming he doesn't present *much* better in the actual interview).

Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way

Dear MIT applicant's name,

The deadline for MIT was December 10. However, I am available to meet with you at the Kendall Square Starbucks tomorrow or Monday at 4:30 pm. Please confirm which date is convenient for you.

Thank you,

Jerryskids

base your report on the interview, not the email.

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

:clap:

Just respond in whatever professional manner you would, meet the kid as you normally would, and give him a terrible report (assuming he doesn't present *much* better in the actual interview).

Some lessons just have to be learned the hard way

Unfortunately this is where my head is, but that seems like the easy way out. In part because I'm not sure he'll learn the lesson.

I would go to the interview. Maybe it is a smart kid with a below average upbringing. Many times the best letters that you receive from 18 year olds are actually written by the parents.

Unfortunately this is where my head is, but that seems like the easy way out. In part because I'm not sure he'll learn the lesson.

Take the high road as you suggested, and tell the kid at the end of interview of his poor first impression. The feedback will not put him on the defensive from the get-go but allow him to respond before you formulate your final thoughts after actually meeting him.

I don't think it's really your job to teach him a lesson.

But if you think it is, then said him an email informing him the deadline was yesterday but that you will meet him at such and such place and time. Then at the meeting drill into him that MIT is a big deal and you shouldn't blow off such opportunities by missing a deadline and otherwise taking a cavalier approach

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

I've got nothing after this.

/thread :first:

He might not even know he did anything wrong.

I disagree. At 18 you know the basics of a professional email and how to respectfully request a persons time. I would say in your response that since the deadline has passed and your schedule is booked that here are the two available times for him to pick from. In person, I would have a print out of his email and ask him if this email comes across as professional.

Best regards,

Mr. jerryskids

:overhead:

Take the high road. He's a kid. A smart one obviously if he is applying to MIT, but still a kid.

I may have said here that I am part of a volunteer alumni group which interviews applicants to MIT. Yesterday was the deadline for contacting me for an interview, but we received an email from MIT to expect some requests at the deadline for a variety of reasons. Fine, no big deal, I'll accommodate. Anyway, I got this email today. It is the complete message:

No "Mr. jerryskids," no apologies for the late contact, no signing his name, hell no telling me what he wants to interview for, and he tells me where and when he wants the interview (albeit with allowing me to propose an alternate).

How would you respond?

So, you're going to reject my letter because I didn't say thank you? See you Saturday, B!tch!

Take the high road. He's a kid. A smart one obviously if he is applying to MIT, but still a kid.

This

Take the high road.

you must be new.

Mike should suspend you for at least 2 weeks for uttering such treachery. :mad:

you must be new.

Mike should suspend you for at least 2 weeks for uttering such treachery. :mad:

Fock you?

Since he dispensed with the pleasantries, you should do the same and just give him directions directly to the Motel 6. :bandana:

You should explain to him that he should rewrite his email and keep in mind this is for application to MIT. Not a response to a Craigslist ad.

Update: I sent him an email Friday proposing a meeting on Tuesday (tomorrow). In the email I put in bold, underlined font "please confirm your availability." I then offered today or Wednesday as alternatives if tomorrow didn't work.

No response yet. Sigh... this kid will need to be able to cure cancer to get my recommendation at this point.

I'm tempted to just not show up tomorrow, but I won't do that. This afternoon I'll send him another email saying I expected a response, and that I do not plan to attend without one.

Most kids don't actually care about their safety school.. Jk

Seriously, most college aged kids today are socially awkward, I imagine a really smart one even more awkward. You have to remember that most of their communications their whole lives have been electronic, basic social skills are being eroded every week.

Seriously, most college aged kids today are socially awkward, I imagine a really smart one even more awkward. You have to remember that most of their communications their whole lives have been electronic, basic social skills are being eroded every week.

That may be true, but in 3 years and 40-ish interview requests I've never had this experience. I view myself as the candidate's advocate and conduct a positive interview to try to pull out their best. I feel like I should recuse myself at this point, but I also really want to meet this kid for some reason.

I do appreciate your perspective though; I'll try to put myself in that frame of mind if I meet him. :cheers:

Again, I'd tell him he already made a bad impression and that will factor into your recommendation. It's possible he doesn't really want to go to MIT or he's on the fence and knowing he's behind the 8 ball might encourage him to back out and not waste his own time and yours. That, or he's orally oblivious to how he has come across and your email is a wake up call. Either way you'll get something out of it.

Jerry - do you ever get a little hottie that you have to interview? If so, please describe how far some of them might go to get into MIT. TIA.

This is what I was getting at. :thumbsup: If he's not using this position of authority to pull all kinds of college-aged tail, well that just seems like kind of a waste. :dunno:

Jerry - do you ever get a little hottie that you have to interview? If so, please describe how far some of them might go to get into MIT. TIA.

Into the teacher/hottie pron fetish, eh? :lol:

I can't say I've had a super hottie. This is MIT after all, not ASU. Also most kids are 17 at this point of their senior year.

Fun story: last year I went to a party we throw for the new admits. This really cute admit walked up to me and said "excuse me, are you [my son's name] father?

Me: Yeah :unsure: (wondering how she knows him from the other side of town)

Ends up that she was the girl they bused with my son to HS from middle school because they were too advanced in math. She later moved across town. Big phayle on my son's part to not keep in touch with her. :(

A hottie at MIT? :lol:

"Thank you for your response and interest.

Bruce Arians said he'll meet us there promptly. If you can throw it 20 yards and walk without a limp, you can start Sunday. Whatever you do, don't clobber a woman or child between now and then.

jerryskids"

This. I hang out with a couple twenty somethings and they often text at the last minute before something scheduled days in advance. Still, I'm not interviewing them for college.