Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

What's the dumbest thing you've ever seen in one of your drafts?

This is why I love our live draft,you pull this sh!t you do a shot of whiskey each time.

Definitely. Pretty sure someone tried to Dr Steven Hauschka in every round starting at about round 12. At round 15 everyone yelled at the guy like Jesus f****** Christ cross that off your list

Probably by me.

I was anti-FF for a lot of years and didn't pay attention to it. Wasn't really big here (Australia) and a lot of the info wasn't available.

Then a few years back some guys from a blog I was on needed a last minute (literally an hour before the draft) fill in and I was feeling bored.

I had zero idea how an online draft ran and not much more of an idea of who the studs in other teams were. They even told me I had to draft in roster order (which I soon figured out wasn't true).

But I still took a kicker with my 5th pick - David Akers SF. I had the previous seasons best kicker!

Sad thing is - I finished runner up in that league. I had post ACL Peterson's huge year - but taken 19th, and Alf Morris monster rookie year - taken 6th round I think. TE was Hernandez and I was only really let down by my average WRs - Garcon and Nicks - who got injured.

Nearly sweet revenge - but not quite.

In 2012, drunk guy took Danny Amendola 3rd overall. Listening to him justify the pick was hilarious. Wish I could remember more of his picks from that draft.

Guy who won our league last yr was out of town for our draft this past weekend so he had his brother draft for him. Guy literally showed up with nothing but beer. Here was his draft:

1.07 ADP

2.06 Jeffrey

3.07 Luck

4.06 Forte

5.07 roethlisberger

6.06 Foster

7.07 josh gordon

8.06 j. Graham

9.07 broncos def

10.06 seahawks def

11.07 d. Washington

12.06 treadwell

13.07 sanu

14.06 rishard Matthews

15.07 doctson

2 qBS(we start 1) by rnd 5 and 2 def by the 10th. Whole bunch of old injury risk guys. It was maybe the worst draft I've seen in our 15 yr history.

Guy who won our league last yr was out of town for our draft this past weekend so he had his brother draft for him. Guy literally showed up with nothing but beer. Here was his draft:

1.07 ADP

2.06 Jeffrey

3.07 Luck

4.06 Forte

5.07 roethlisberger

6.06 Foster

7.07 josh gordon

8.06 j. Graham

9.07 broncos def

10.06 seahawks def

11.07 d. Washington

12.06 treadwell

13.07 sanu

14.06 rishard Matthews

15.07 doctson

2 qBS(we start 1) by rnd 5 and 2 def by the 10th. Whole bunch of old injury risk guys. It was maybe the worst draft I've seen in our 15 yr history.

Just wait. He's only a missing WR3 away from winning the league. Somehow.

I think this was the worst until last night:

Back in 2007 or so a guy who was new to our league took Mike Vanderjagt in the second round. I guess kickers were big in his home league.

Last night, a guy drafted Martavis Bryant in the seventh round. He was roundly ridiculed and people made fun of him for the next round. He followed it up by drafting Roddy White in the ninth.

I have no idea...

Back in 2007 or so a guy who was new to our league took Mike Vanderjagt in the second round. I guess kickers were big in his home league.

Last night, a guy drafted Martavis Bryant in the seventh round. He was roundly ridiculed and people made fun of him for the next round. He followed it up by drafting Roddy White in the ninth.

I have no idea...

If only he took chris henry next...complete the trifecta....Suspended, retired, dead.

If only he took chris henry next...complete the trifecta....Suspended, retired, dead.

Don't forget category #4 - Incarcerated.

Couple years back I saw more than one guy take a last round flyer on Hernandez while awaiting trial.

Low cost for his 0% chance of acquittal - and then an NFL team grabbing him.. Value.

1.07 ADP

2.06 Jeffrey

3.07 Luck

4.06 Forte

5.07 roethlisberger

6.06 Foster

7.07 josh gordon

8.06 j. Graham

9.07 broncos def

10.06 seahawks def

11.07 d. Washington

12.06 treadwell

13.07 sanu

14.06 rishard Matthews

15.07 doctson

He will win or come close. It's always these drafts that look silly on draft day that accidentally turn into genius. If the owner has any sense of how to pick up Fa and play the ww he will be in good shape. Has a scary team actually. Enjoy facing AP, Luck, Jeffrey and Gordon when he comes back. Clown draft? Yes, but once games start all you need is live bodies starting for you and you have a shot.

A guy I work with has an issue with his entire league being retarded.

First off his commish would print out positional rankings for everyone because no one brought cheat sheets at all. So they all draft positions by round. Start at the rbs and go 1-10. Next round go to receivers. Next round is tight ends. If a player is taken out of turn everyone gets all wound up and lost as to where they are in the draft.

He also said there hasn't been a trade in the league in 4 years.

Waivers aren't allowed until after the 1st week is played.

My first ever draft, years ago when fantasy football was still new, I took a defense in the 2nd round. Yeah I know, it's bad. I will say I had downed a pint of vodka in about 30 min before that so at least I have an excuse.

It at least ended up being the top Defense that season and I finished runner up so it didn't hurt me too much. Who knows though, maybe I would have won if I had drafted differently.

I feel your pain. My very first draft was in 1999 and I was taking over an existing team. Hadn't really read the rules or figured out the game yet but did know who scored the most points on his roster. This was a 12 team, 4 man keeper league and with my 4th keeper, I protected the #1 kicker in the league in 1998, Mr. Mike Hollis of the Jags. To this day I STILL hear about it...and I deserve it!

In a neighborhood draft this year. 2 guys never played (and 2 said they had but their picks say otherwise). It didn't take long to see they did zero prep or research before the draft started. Both showed up w/o anything but beer (no cheatsheets, no magazines, not even a pen).

Newb 1: Tom Brady, 2nd overall...because "he's gonna come back pissed & kill it". Patriots fan. (Later in the draft he picks a RB for Miami (that I've never heard of) because "I went to high school with this dude").

Newb 2: Denver D, 4th overall...because "defense wins championships". (His 2nd round pick? Funchess.) Panther fan.

I am embarrassed to even mention my team on here for fear of the backlash. Let's just say I have a very good chance of walking away some money.

• Like 1

Guy in my league took over a team without every playing before. He kept Hines Ward the year he had retired. He's a good player now, but we still bust his balls about Ward.

I have no idea...

New guy in our work league tonight drafted the following WRs (in order): Janis, Amendola, Kearse, Beasley, Cruz. Those are his 5 WRs for the year. Fortunately he shored it up by grabbing Jimmy Graham in the 4th, and Brady/Roethlisberger in the 2nd/5th.

I survived taking Luck at 1.4 last year just because I wanted to experiment with drafting the way a few other people in my league do.

Made the finals but QB was a problem all year long. A late season trade for Drew Brees ended up costing me the title.

Oh, and a Cowboys homer/ my cousin dropped Bortles for Dak before Tony got hurt.

This past Sunday in my work league. A Buckeye homer (we are in Michigan) drafted Zeke 3rd overall and then proceeded to draft Braxton Miller and Terrell Pryor!!

In our draft last night, I guy drafted Wilson as his QB. No big deal. He then waited until the end of the draft to take Jimmy G as his backup. Smeone pointed out to him that Wilson's bye is week 5...the same week Brady is eligible to play. :doh:

Probably the dumbest thing I have seen was in a dynasty league. This guy was new to fantasy football. He had the correct idea in that he wanted to be very dominant in one area. Unfortunately, he didn't pay attention to the league rules or read anything pertaining to how he should draft.... He took 5 defenses on a 20 man roster. The worst part was he took the 5 highest rated defenses on the board, starting in round 7. He did win a game that season. In his defense, 7 or 8 years into the league, he won the Title.

A couple years ago, I was in a league at RTSports. It was a $300 league, so not exactly rookies drafting. A guy took QB's in the first 3 rounds. His idea was to trade them for RB's or WR's. He followed those three up with two more in the later rounds, the ones he was planning to actually keep. While he was spouting off on the message boards about how he was going to win the league, the rest of the league made a pact to not trade with him. I don't recall his record, but I'm pretty certain he quit playing about 6 weeks into the season.

He will win or come close. It's always these drafts that look silly on draft day that accidentally turn into genius. If the owner has any sense of how to pick up Fa and play the ww he will be in good shape. Has a scary team actually. Enjoy facing AP, Luck, Jeffrey and Gordon when he comes back. Clown draft? Yes, but once games start all you need is live bodies starting for you and you have a shot.

You are soooo right. Back in the day, a guy in one of my keeper leagues had Trent Green as his QB. When Trent went down with an injury, the league just allowed him to take Warner. Nobody else wanted him anyway. He would up with a few Rams on his squad and proceeded to kick the crap out of everyone else in the league. That was the only time he won the league and he's made the playoffs twice since then. Sometimes fortune slaps you right in the face. Anyway, we all mocked him for being "stuck" with Kurt Warner and he was a Homer, so he took Isaac Bruce in his draft. He had the last laugh, that's for sure.

You are soooo right. Back in the day, a guy in one of my keeper leagues had Trent Green as his QB. When Trent went down with an injury, the league just allowed him to take Warner. Nobody else wanted him anyway. He would up with a few Rams on his squad and proceeded to kick the crap out of everyone else in the league. That was the only time he won the league and he's made the playoffs twice since then. Sometimes fortune slaps you right in the face. Anyway, we all mocked him for being "stuck" with Kurt Warner and he was a Homer, so he took Isaac Bruce in his draft. He had the last laugh, that's for sure.

Similar story...my good friend doesn't really pay attention to football, but likes playing Fantasy. In 1999, he had the first overall pick. He said "i'm taking Barry Sanders". We chuckled and let him know that he just retired.. So then he says "Fine, I will take Garrison Hearst". We all busted out laughing, telling him Garrison had ruined his ankle the previous post season and wasn't playing. He was pissed and said, "Fock it, I will take the guy on the cover of the magazine I'm holding - Marshall Faulk". We had another good laugh...way too early for him.

He ended up winning the league that year. :(

guy took greg jennings but put donald driver sticker up. oops, a pick is a pick. the next guy said i will take your pick greg jennings

I'm seriously considering Elliott at 1.01 so after this weekend that will probably be the dumbest thing I ever saw.

I'm seriously considering Elliott at 1.01 so after this weekend that will probably be the dumbest thing I ever saw.

Yeah don't be that guy

My dumbest story involves me...

I run a league with no kickers, cause kickers.

last year it was like round 15 and I got flustered and drafted a kicker...

not my finest moment

another embarrassing moment:

after the draft one year I am ripping on some idiot for taking Tiko Duckett in like round 7 or 8... Turns out I was the idiot who drafted him... and this was when he was worthles...

bonus: we once had league members bet a player on a wrestling match. no, we did not honor the results.

You are soooo right. Back in the day, a guy in one of my keeper leagues had Trent Green as his QB. When Trent went down with an injury, the league just allowed him to take Warner .

"Fock it, I will take the guy on the cover of the magazine I'm holding - Marshall Faulk". We had another good laugh...way too early for him.

. :(

Damn, the guy with Warner must have just crapped on everyone that year. Was Marshall not yet the fantasy all timer that first year? Man he was like first pick for years straight after that.

Damn, the guy with Warner must have just crapped on everyone that year. Was Marshall not yet the fantasy all timer that first year? Man he was like first pick for years straight after that.

I wanted Trent Green that year for a QB because Isaac Bruce was tearing things up and they just got Torrey Holt. Middle rounds I told a rams fan he better take Green or I would. Was lucky to own a small magazine that had Warner as the number 2 QB because nobody in the league knew who it was. Won the league easily.

Ok so this topic is probably the best i have seen on here in a while so i think i got a good one to ad... about 4 years ago i started my first league where i was the commissioner i had played for as long as i could remember but never started my own. So i had to round up 10 of my chronies for this baby cuz were all about 25 . Some how organizing an event where 10 of your best friends sit around talk football, drink till we cant drive(legally) and stare at women was tough. So luck would have it my house was right behind hooters walking distance. So the kid i lived with was my best friend and had recently while living with him got into hard drugs which i didn't completely know at the time had suspicions though. So we get to the 4th round and my buddies turn was up i look at the end of the table and he was gone so i assumed he had went to the bathroom so we waited a bit then the bit turned into 15 mins and i'm like what the ###### so i go in the bathroom and he was not in there so i'm like what the hell is going on i go outside an his car is gone. He had went home where we lived and got his fix in the middle of the draft so i'm like ###### this guy i drafted Sebastion Janikowski from the raiders for him cuz he liked the raiders(lol).The kicker of the story(no pun intended) was he comes back before his next pick some how an throws this huge tantrum about me picking a kicker for him. I didn't care but my argument was i got him his favorite kicker. Then things calm down a bit an he takes sam bradford in like the sixth round in his rookie year with rams. And i put this on my sons life he stands up an says something to the tune of " You guys let me get Bradford this league is Weak!".

R.i.P my buddy nolan

Probably the dumbest I remember was the guy who drafted his kicker in the 5th round.

Back in the day, it wasn't so much dumb as being completely uninformed, but a guy took Robert Edwards with his first round pick the season after he got nuked in the Rookie probowl game.

Thats fantastic.

On an old Message Board called AntSports if any of you are familiar... but there was a legendary story about the two Marc bulgers. As Legend goes somehow two guys managed to draft Marc Bulger and were placed onto their teams and the commissioner instead of seeing the problem and rectifying it just allowed two Marc bulgers in the league. I don't recall exactly how that happened but it's still pretty fantastic

Yeah back when the commish had to do everything with pencils, paper, and maybe a spreadsheet, all kinds of crazy stuff happened. I remember when I had Kerry Collins on my team and somebody else in the league did a waiver wire pickup of ... Kerry Collins, and the commissioner didn't realize I still had him. Collins had decided to leave the Panthers, so everyone assumed I dropped him. When he was picked up by the Saints a guy picked him up, but I had never dropped him.

So my dumbest thing I've seen is pretty much every pick I'm making in this draft I'm in right now.

It's a very low-key league for me, luckily. It's with my brother and his twin boys and some of their friends, so nothing much at stake. But the commish was supposed to turn it into a keeper league this year. We each picked three keepers weeks ago...and the commish forgot to finalize the keeper list with Yahoo. So suddenly my keepers of Antonio, Nuk, and Carr are gone, and I'm picking from the 10 spot. With no strategy, as I found out about this literally 30 seconds before the draft started.

Yikes. No ppr, high yardage league (10yds=1pt), the good QBs are easily the top scorers in the league.. Wilson/AD at the turn, then Watkins and J Hill. I'm not happy so far, but apparently I perform poorly under pressure :/

Probably the dumbest I remember was the guy who drafted his kicker in the 5th round.

Back in the day, it wasn't so much dumb as being completely uninformed, but a guy took Robert Edwards with his first round pick the season after he got nuked in the Rookie probowl game.

Well, if they do that, they deserve to lose. I call that paying the stupid tax.

in any league you are in, you look up the rules to see how many points each position is likely to get for you from week to week. If you do a little math, you can see which positions are worth spending picks on, even if you've never been in a fantasy football league before.

the number one rule in fantasy football is know the rules.

This is just as important as knowing who the players are.

He was taken at 1.02 in one of my drafts. Go for it

Wasn't that the Raiders.