Sign in to follow this  
The PosterFormerlyKnownAs

How do you spend: Credit v debit v cash?

99% credit, 1% cash. Threw away my debit card, but I feel like I can trust you with my PIN.

Also never used my reward points or frequent flyer miles. Need to look into that.

99% credit, 1% cash. Threw away my debit card, but I feel like I can trust you with my PIN.

Also never used my reward points or frequent flyer miles. Need to look into that.

You really should. I have visa that gives United pts. United has gotten pretty bad over the past 10 years or so. We have used miles for hotel rooms and car rentals.... Very helpful. Also get points with our amex.... Same thing.

Almost all credit card, which I pay in full each month. I collect a nice 2 or 3 percent reward on everything i buy. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. It's a nice little check to get every 3 or 4 months

Credit card for gas and expensive things. Cash for day to day purchases and your mom.

Credit card for the points. Travel points so my wife has no choice but to go on vacation with me :thumbsup:

My mom said to say thanks - and no more coins moving forward.

Not even Bit Coins?

Close to the dumbest question ever posted here.

Why don't you ask if their d1cks are over 8" next 😀

Always debt, sometimes cash, sometimes credit. Assume same for most...except 90sbaby who ONLY spends bitcoins and scoffs if an establishment doesn't accept them (no one does, it's not money.).

30% credit 70% debit

Close to the dumbest question ever posted here.

Why don't you ask if their d1cks are over 8" next

Why? What is impressive about using a credit card for almost everything?

Always debt, sometimes cash, sometimes credit. Assume same for most...except 90sbaby who ONLY spends bitcoins and scoffs if an establishment doesn't accept them (no one does, it's not money.).

You mean debit or debt?

I never use debit because they aren't safe as cc's in the event of fraud, and usually don't have any benefits like points/cash back etc.

I use my Amex EveryDay Preferred Card for 90% of everything I spend. (sans mortgage, insurance)

Cable bill, phone bill, groceries, amazon. everything that allows amex, I use it for.,

80% cash

10% check

10% credit

What's a debit card?

*Also, only 1 automatic withdrawal bill wise. And that's an extra life insurance policy me and the mrs have.

What's a debit card?

Poor people's "credit card"

had someone in line in front of me at the grocery store not too long ago.

tried to buy like $18 worth of groceries, put their card in and then their code.

"insufficient funds"

Sad

I still go into the bank to cash my check every week. Out of 60 or so employees. Only like 3 of us get a paper check..

I still go into the bank to cash my check every week. Out of 60 or so employees. Only like 3 of us get a paper check..

My firm doesn't even offer paper check.

My firm doesn't even offer paper check.

Same with my wife. Direct deposit or don't get paid.

Debit or cash.

This. Gas, groceries, etc = debit; incidentals = cash. About the only time we use credit is for online purchases or large purchases where it might be necessary to transfer funds.

What's a debit card?

A debit card is pretty much the same as writing a check. It comes right out of your checking account.

1. Geesus Christ, people keep some cash on hand. If it's less than five bucks...

2. I remember going through Hurricane-related power outages; All these women and 20 somethings were walking around the few businesses that were open holding their plastic like it was their last hope. One bartender had a great line: "What am I supposed to do with THAT? - Swipe it down my ass-crack?" LOL

3. Personal pet peeve: The clerk who inspects your hundie like the ink's still wet. Yet, you could hand her Ronald Reagan's credit card and she'd swipe it right through.

This. Gas, groceries, etc = debit; incidentals = cash. About the only time we use credit is for online purchases or large purchases where it might be necessary to transfer funds.

I don't have a credit card, even for emergencies. 2x in my life I ran up 30K worth of CC debt, both times right after buying a house. Not again any time soon. Even for points and rewards I wouldn't do it.

If you're going to buy online, get a separate card and for the love of Pete, DON'T let them raise your credit limit above what you're comfortable with losing.

Geesus, it's still the focking Wild Wild West out there.

I don't have a credit card, even for emergencies. 2x in my life I ran up 30K worth of CC debt, both times right after buying a house. Not again any time soon. Even for points and rewards I wouldn't do it.

My cvvnt mother did that to my father. think it was 10,000, was around 1985

95% credit, 4.99% debit, 0.01% cash. Rewards for my credit card are better than my debit rewards. I also use Samsung pay for my credit/debit cards and get reward points from it. I only use cash when it's all that's accepted (beer vendors at games/concerts, etc..).

1. Geesus Christ, people keep some cash on hand. If it's less than five bucks...

2. I remember going through Hurricane-related power outages; All these women and 20 somethings were walking around the few businesses that were open holding their plastic like it was their last hope. One bartender had a great line: "What am I supposed to do with THAT? - Swipe it down my ass-crack?" LOL

We keep a decent chunk of cash hidden away for emergencies. The only time we broke it out was when we were evacuated for the floods a few years ago.

Im pretty old school. I have way too much cash on me most times.

At my golf course if I am just grabbing a cart in the pro shop....I am throwing cash down. I am not holding up everyone with a CC.

In high school I worked at a golf course and the focking canadians would come down in groups of say 20 and everyone focking one would use a card. It took forever. The rare times they would be decent enough to have 1 guy pay and everyone throw cash at the dude later....id give them a discount just for using their head.

My cvvnt mother did that to my father. think it was 10,000, was around 1985

Same here. Only difference is it was 98-99 ish.

Im pretty old school. I have way too much cash on me most times.

At my golf course if I am just grabbing a cart in the pro shop....I am throwing cash down. I am not holding up everyone with a CC.

In high school I worked at a golf course and the focking canadians would come down in groups of say 20 and everyone focking one would use a card. It took forever. The rare times they would be decent enough to have 1 guy pay and everyone throw cash at the dude later....id give them a discount just for using their head.

I figure out what I need for cash for the week and deposite the rest. If an emergency comes up, it's the credit card.

If I'm out of cash, and it's a day or 2 away from payday, I don't buy anything.

It seems simple?

I admit, I'm an old pollock who was raised by my grandparents. But I have know idea how people overspend?

I use my Amex EveryDay Preferred Card for 90% of everything I spend. (sans mortgage, insurance)

Cable bill, phone bill, groceries, amazon. everything that allows amex, I use it for.,

Same card I use. If you use amazon a lot you should buy gift cards at your grocery store then use them when you make an order on amazon. You still get the bonus points. tml

actually this goes for all gift cards.

BTW - who is the OP? posterformerlyknownas...

Don't know yet. Odd to make a chit chat topic like this with an obvious alias though.

Same card I use. If you use amazon a lot you should buy gift cards at your grocery store then use them when you make an order on amazon. You still get the bonus points. tml

actually this goes for all gift cards.

:thumbsup:

Ironically, I use my amex points to buy gift cards on amazon :D

:thumbsup:

Ironically, I use my amex points to buy gift cards on amazon :D

but you get 6% back when you buy them from the grocery store. your way gets you 1%.