Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Cocktail of Choice?

Recommended Posts

So... lately I've gotten away from Chardonay, beer, vodka, and gin.... I've been getting into burbons and rye whiskey.

 

Been getting after "Old Fashioned's",   alot.  Tried them with a several different bourbons and ryes,  but I've found recently I like them with Bullit Rye whiskey the best this far.

 

To keep the sugar down I use a splenda stevia syrup... 

 

Dig it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dark and Stormy.... But cut sugars down.

 

Gin rocks or sometimes soda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always confuse the old fashioned and a Manhattan. I think one of them has cherry juice and the other one doesn't. Something like that.

 

My witch of a mother used to bust my dad's hump something fierce whenever he went for a beer. "ANOTHER one?"

(To this day, if a waitress or bartender says that to me...)

 

Meanwhile the old witch is drinking a highball that is about 98% rocket fuel. I could smell the damn thing across the room.

I don't begrudge a man his drink. (Well maybe Zima.) But for me? If I'm doing brown liquor, I don't need 14 other ingredients.

But yeah, brown liquor is very trendy these days. There's going to be a crap load of millennials needing new livers before they hit 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mmmmm...beer said:

So... lately I've gotten away from Chardonay, beer, vodka, and gin.... I've been getting into burbons and rye whiskey.

 

Been getting after "Old Fashioned's",   alot.  Tried them with a several different bourbons and ryes,  but I've found recently I like them with Bullit Rye whiskey the best this far.

 

To keep the sugar down I use a splenda stevia syrup... 

 

Dig it....

I also have recently fallen in love with old fashioneds. I use a sugar cube and orange bitters. Whiskey selection can be a bit limited here. I use Maker's Mark usually, jack when I'm out of that (I have to get the Maker's Mark delivered.)

 

I read that originally, you used Brandy to make them, not whiskey. Ever tried?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old fashioned is:  rye whiskey, bitters, simple syrup or a sugar cube... not to much sweet.. just a small cut...  ice..  it's essentially the first cocktail.  Pretty simple.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Old fashioned is:  rye whiskey, bitters, simple syrup or a sugar cube... not to much sweet.. just a small cut...  ice.. 

 

 

Yeah. I've never had one with other than whiskey. But the place I looked up how to make them said back in the day, Brandy was more common.

I'm just ordered some good glasses and one of those things that makes ice spheres yesterday. That will make it nicer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I also have recently fallen in love with old fashioneds. I use a sugar cube and orange bitters. Whiskey selection can be a bit limited here. I use Maker's Mark usually, jack when I'm out of that (I have to get the Maker's Mark delivered.)

 

I read that originally, you used Brandy to make them, not whiskey. Ever tried?

I haden't heard brandy... almost always rye.  Interesting.  Check out the videos about the first old fashioneds.. i think it was always rye.   Brandy would make it overly sweet no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yeah. I've never had one with other than whiskey. But the place I looked up how to make them said back in the day, Brandy was more common.

I'm just ordered some good glasses and one of those things that makes ice spheres yesterday. That will make it nicer. 

Haha... I have 6 ice ball molds.. Death Stars. 😁

https://www.amazon.com/WllRun-Packs-Silicone-Chocolate-Drinks/dp/B074MQWJQV

 

The boy got a big 20 sided die.... ie D & D style ice mould for me.  Hahah.   

https://www.etsy.com/listing/553357828/icosahedron-plastic-mold-dice-mold-bath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently had old fashioneds too, not too bad, pretty strong though, but I like whiskey.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on my mood honestly. But yea, usually I’ll have an old fashioned when I go somewhere. Place down here does a bacon maple old fashioned that is out of this world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s overplayed at this point, but I’ve been drinking Tito’s for years now. Seriously, no signs the next day that I had been drinking. 

Ive also gotten into Burboun Whiskey over the past few years. I drink it with one big cube and let the ice break a little. So good once you acquire the taste for it. 

No more beer unless the situation calls for it. I get too bloated and have to pee 1-2 times in the middle of the night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have consumed many brandy old fashioneds.  Great Friday night drink...2 of them and I'm well on my way to a relaxing night.

If I plan on having 4-6 drinks, it's captain and dt coke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much a bourbon on the rocks kind of guy.

I have a pretty good selection of bourbons and have 2, 2 litter aging barrels I use to make faux BTAC selections

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My hard alcohol go-to is Laphroaig 10 yr scotch, but as far as cocktails are concerned give me a Hendricks and tonic.

I'll definitely order an old fashioned someday after reading this topic, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old Fashioneds? If a girl isn't willing to give me a blowjob I will do it myself. I haven't had a girl give me strictly a handy since I was in the 7th grade and don't plan on ending that drought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bostonlager said:

Old Fashioneds? If a girl isn't willing to give me a blowjob I will do it myself. I haven't had a girl give me strictly a handy since I was in the 7th grade and don't plan on ending that drought. 

You can blow yourself?  Impressive! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DonS said:

You can blow yourself?  Impressive! 

:wall:

Hungover and word choice/placement is fuzzy. 

I would definitely blow myself if I was limber enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only mixed drink I make at home is a manhattan, up.  I like Bulleitt but I just ran out and picked up a bottle of Darby's reserve, haven't tried it yet.

I'll also occasionally have a glass of single malt scotch with a freezer stone to chill it a little.

Mostly I stick with red wine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

So... lately I've gotten away from Chardonay, beer, vodka, and gin.... I've been getting into burbons and rye whiskey.

 

Been getting after "Old Fashioned's",   alot.  Tried them with a several different bourbons and ryes,  but I've found recently I like them with Bullit Rye whiskey the best this far.

 

To keep the sugar down I use a splenda stevia syrup... 

 

Dig it....

 

You nailed mine from the outset :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unsure the definition of a cocktail, I only drink beer or occasionally wine.

However if I am at the beach I will drink a margarita and maybe once a year I will have a bloody Mary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early in the day, Bloody Mary, late in the day, Captain and Diet.  I'll have the occasional glass of Johnny Walker (ice, let it rest), I keep a bottle of black.

Mostly beer though, thinking about cutting out the drink all-together, outside of special occasions.  I don't drink during the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Citron and Diet 

doesn't matter the brand of Vodka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's getting to be Gin&Tonic season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never crave anything other than a simple Miller Lite or Corona. It's not that I'm not adventurous, but pretty much everything else gives me headaches - even after 1.

I can fight thru a Blantons or Woodford Reserve (double oaked) on the rocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am mostly a beer and wine guy but I drink most every thing else from time to time other than gin.  I really like single malt and good blended scotch.  A good bloody mary in the morning and even a mimosa.  A margarita or a run runner in the tropics.  Vodka soda, crown & 7, myers & pineapple, woodford on the rocks and a shot of good tequila every now and then.  Amaretto, Frangelico & cognac also have their place.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I never crave anything other than a simple Miller Lite or Corona. It's not that I'm not adventurous, but pretty much everything else gives me headaches - even after 1.

I can fight thru a Blantons or Woodford Reserve (double oaked) on the rocks.

you'll be doing fireballs with the boys if we ever meet up for golf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, edjr said:

you'll be doing fireballs with the boys if we ever meet up for golf

Lol, that might hurt a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago I finally came to the realization that alcohol was controlling me instead of the other way around,I can honestly say I didn't know when to say when so that said I'm on day 96 of sobriety.Sorry don't mean to say look at me just wanted to put it out there as I need to admit to myself and others that I have a problem and what better place to confess than the GC. :unsure:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nzoner said:

A few months ago I finally came to the realization that alcohol was controlling me instead of the other way around,I can honestly say I didn't know when to say when so that said I'm on day 96 of sobriety.Sorry don't mean to say look at me just wanted to put it out there as I need to admit to myself and others that I have a problem and what better place to confess than the GC. :unsure:

Congrats, man.  I'll drink mine plus one for you tonight.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, nzoner said:

A few months ago I finally came to the realization that alcohol was controlling me instead of the other way around,I can honestly say I didn't know when to say when so that said I'm on day 96 of sobriety.Sorry don't mean to say look at me just wanted to put it out there as I need to admit to myself and others that I have a problem and what better place to confess than the GC. :unsure:

No one likes a quitter :mad:

Here's to you :cheers:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, edjr said:

you'll be doing fireballs with the boys if we ever meet up for golf

Can't do it!  I hate strong cinnamon.  In a pie or a cinnamon roll fine, candy and liquor no way.

 

Now a shot of Patron on the course.............:banana: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bert said:

Can't do it!  I hate strong cinnamon.  In a pie or a cinnamon roll fine, candy and liquor no way.

 

Now a shot of Patron on the course.............:banana: 

Doesn't have to be fireball, and patron works for me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tried Fireball, easy to get drunk on cinnamon candy I guess but it isn't my thing.  Although I've had a Fireball/Rumchata combo, that shiot was tasty.

Also I didn't mention earlier but I like Old Fashions (whiskey, haven't done brandy) as well.  But it seems like a lot of work to make; I don't have the fancy ice cube things, and I tend to avoid carbs when possible.  Although mmm... made a point of using splenda vs. sugar/simple syrup.  Maybe I'll give that a try.  :cheers:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drink 95% beer.

I like a gin and tonic in the summer.

Bloody Marys sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bostonlager said:

:wall:

Hungover and word choice/placement is fuzzy. 

I would definitely blow myself if I was limber enough. 

Swallow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Swallow?

This question has put me in quite a quandary. 

 

ETA: I can only imagine I taste great, but would that make me gay if I blow myself and swallow? I jack myself off all the time and that doesn't make me gay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edjr said:

you'll be doing fireballs with the boys if we ever meet up for golf

Geesus, liquid heartburn. 

And a cup of sugar per shot .

Might as well do shots of Tabasco corn syrup while you're at it. Yuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

I drink 95% beer.

 

Goddam. Most are like 5-6%. :shocking:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been getting into gin cocktails instead of vodka lately. A gin Bloody Mary is excellent, highly recommend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×